View Full Version : Pulled muscle- help!

CanAmSk8ter
10-06-2002, 07:50 PM
Ok, I spent some time Friday trying to do lunge turns and inside spread eagles (which I'm happy to say I can finally do!) But Friday night, the muscle on the inside of my left thigh had stiffened up and by yesterday morning I could hardly walk on it. I'm walking a little better today but it's still stiffening up everytime I sit down or lie down, and it takes about fifteen minutes of moving around for it to loosen up at all.

What can I do? I'm putting the heating pad on it for twenty minutes at a time every chance I get. I'm obviously not planning to do my morning practice or go to the gym tomorrow, although I intend to at least try to skate tomorrow afternoon. Would swimming be ok to start right away, or should I wait? I usually swim laps twice a week, but I'm not sure if it's a great idea. Mostly I just want to be back on the ice asap because I'm competing in less than four weeks and my Silver Tango is not ready.

Isabelle
10-06-2002, 08:48 PM
I don't really know, but I would suggest not doing any sort of exercising with it until it feels better. Also, I remember someone once saying that this guy's kid pulled his groin, so he put him in a hot bath, and it was the worst thing he could've done, so I would probably suggest icing it.
Like I said, I don't really know though, you should probably see a doctor!

Elsy2
10-06-2002, 09:10 PM
Oh boy...I've had quite a few groin pulls, and so has my daughter. I take her to a physical therapist, and our routine for this includes ice, gentle stretching, a series of strengthening exercises using a large elastic band (that hurt like crazy at first), and massage. Groin pulls take their own sweet time to improve, but you could get lucky and improve quickly enough to skate while not doing the moves that aggravate it. When I've had a pull, I can usually do quite a bit of skating after 3-4 days, while avoiding pulling in for spins, and any jumps that hurt...like loops in particular for me...But for now baby it, and as for swimming, well, I'm not sure. If it hurts, don't do it. A flutter kick may not bother you later this week. Forget the breast stroke or side-stroke!
If you can get in to a physical therapist...do it. Don't rush doing anything that will set your healing back, it's not worth it.

If you can't see a therapist...at least switch to ice and massage if possible, and perhaps some very gentle stretching. Easy does it! Good luck!

garyc254
10-06-2002, 11:40 PM
STOP WITH THE HEATING PAD!!! NO HEAT!!!

After you injure an area of your body the ONLY thing you want to use is ice packs for at least 48 hours.

Ice packs 4 times a day for 20 minutes each time.

When I get to work tomorrow, I'll send you the "official" notice on dealing with ice and heat, but here's the short review.

When you add heat, it causes more blood to flow to an area. If the area is bruised, it will cause additional bruising. If it is swollen (even if you can't see the swelling), it will cause it to swell more and hurt more.

Ice reduces blood flow to an area. If you have bruising or swelling, it will reduce it.

NEVER use heat until an injury had quite swelling and hurting.

Now that you know that, it's time to take Ibuprophin (Advil). Three Ibuprophin four times a day is not too much until you can get to an Orthopaedic doctor for a proper prescription of an anti-inflammatory medication.

The Ibuprophin kills pain, but mainly starts battling the inflammation of an injury.

Ice and anti-inflammatory meds are the first step toward healing.

garyc254
10-07-2002, 07:56 AM
Ice Therapy

Why is ice used for sports injuries?
Ice is used after an injury to reduce swelling and decrease pain. Ice decreases blood flow to the injured tissue and reduces inflammation.

When should I use ice?
Ice should be used for the first 2 to 3 days after an injury or until the swelling goes away. For instance, if you sprained your ankle 5 days ago and it is still swollen, you should continue to use ice.

Some injuries come from overuse. For example, you may have pain in your knees after running or in your elbow after playing golf or tennis. You should use ice after doing the activity that causes the discomfort.

How should I use ice?
You can make ice packs by placing ice cubes or crushed ice in a Ziploc-type plastic bag or you can use a commercial frozen gel pack. To avoid frostbite, do not put an ice pack directly on your skin. Instead, place the ice pack over a wet washcloth or towel. Use an ace bandage to hold the ice pack in place. Ice packs should be used for 20 to 30 minutes every 3 to 4 hours.

To do ice massage, first freeze water in a paper or Styrofoam cup. Then tear away the top lip of the cup and massage the ice into the injury for 5 to 10 minutes. Ice massage works very well for overuse injuries.
When you first apply ice, you will feel coldness, then burning. Then, after several minutes, the area will become numb.

Can there be any harmful effects from ice therapy?
If ice packs are put directly on the skin and left too long, frostbite may occur. The skin and tissue underneath (muscles, nerves, and fat) may be injured, either temporarily or permanently. Certain parts of the body (including the elbow, the knee, and the foot) can be injured by cold more easily because they don't have as much padding or insulation.

Heat Therapy

Why is heat used for sports injuries?
Heat can reduce muscle spasms, reduce joint stiffness, and make soft tissue more limber. Heat can be used to help loosen tight muscles and joints during a warm-up period. For example, you may put moist hot packs on tight leg muscles before running, or on your shoulder before throwing, or on tight neck or back muscles.

When should I use heat?
Use heat for stiff muscles and joints when you are trying to make them more limber. Do not to use heat in the first few days after an injury or while your injury has any swelling because heat increases blood flow and can worsen swelling.

How should I use heat?
Moist heat is more effective than dry heat because it penetrates more deeply, which increases the effect on muscles, joints, and soft tissue. Use it for 15 to 20 minutes or longer if recommended by your doctor.
Moist heat from towels soaked in hot water or warmed in a microwave are useful, but the towels usually lose their heat within 5 to 10 minutes. Commercial moist heat packs are more convenient and provide longer therapy. Some commercial heat packs are designed to fit specific parts of your body. Hot tubs or whirlpools are also useful. Ultrasound, which can be applied by therapists and trainers, uses high- frequency sound waves that provide warmth and promote circulation.

Heat creams and ointments are popular but don't provide heat very deeply into muscle tissue. The massaging effect of putting the cream on is helpful. Avoid getting these creams into your eyes or on sensitive skin.

Can there be any harmful effects from heat therapy?
Heat increases the blood flow to an injury and can worsen swelling. Heat packs that are too hot or left in place too long may cause burns.

garyc254
10-07-2002, 08:02 AM
Also, here's one of my favorite sports medicine sites:

www.preceptor.com/CrsSports/

Go to "G" at the top, then scroll down to "groin strain".

This is a great site for all types of injuries.

JDC1
10-07-2002, 09:06 AM
Great site Gary thanks!! I had my groin collapse once while doing a lunge, my therapist said I was lucky my body was smarter than me! :-) Baby, baby that muscle and stretch, stretch, stretch.

Elsy2
10-07-2002, 09:15 AM
Hey Gary,
I'm thinking you should be changing your user name to "DocGary" or something! Nice site on sports injuries, and yes, the strengthening exercise we use with the large elastic band on the ankle is illustrated there and have been effective to recovery for this type of injury.

My coach is always sending me medical info....and so I was interested to read lately that there is some controvery over the length of time you ice. In light of this, we only ice for 10-15 min. at a time.

garyc254
10-07-2002, 09:47 AM
:oops: :oops: :oops: "DocGary" ???? Gosh, thanks!!!

The only reason I know the little that I do is research into injuries I've done to myself or friends have done. Of course my knowledge only extends to the limit I needed help.

I'm constantly pulling, straining, bruising, or otherwise some part of my body. Shoulder (skating and otherwise), groin (did this in karate), back/sciatic nerve, etc, etc, etc.

Hence, I'm a major league promoter of using ice packs.

The major advise I can give is to get to the proper doctor as soon as you can and have the injury evaluated.

I grew up in a family and era where you only went to the doctor if you were REALLY sick or BADLY injured (your arm had to be hanging on by a thread of tissue). Hence, I left a lot of my aches unattended. I'm paying for that now.

Another good site for adult health run by the same group is:

www.preceptor.com/CrsAdult/

CanAmSk8ter
10-07-2002, 06:24 PM
Wow, thanks everybody! I can't believe how many people responded to this in such a short time.

I did skate this afternoon for about forty minutes. The longer I was on the ice, the looser I felt, I started to go past loose into a slight burn after about thirty-five minutes, so that's when I gave up. I was able to get through a couple of decent Silver Tangos, so that was good. Overall, feel much btter today than yesterday, and will probably try to do another forty minutes or so tomorrow. Stairs are still painful; unfortunately, I had a history class on the fourth floor this morning! Tomorrow should be better; just French class, and that's only on the second floor. Keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be back to full strength quickly- I know that competition is coming up fast now, because my mom actually started working on my dress!

wannask8
10-07-2002, 09:29 PM
Ditto about the icing. Aside from being notoriously slow healers in general, groin strains and sprains also have a tendency to recur after a seemingly well period (been there), so be sure to really let yourself get better (and don’t get so comfy on anti-inflammatories that you re-injure yourself!).

-- wannask8

singerskates
10-07-2002, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by CanAmSk8ter
Ok, I spent some time Friday trying to do lunge turns and inside spread eagles (which I'm happy to say I can finally do!) But Friday night, the muscle on the inside of my left thigh had stiffened up and by yesterday morning I could hardly walk on it. I'm walking a little better today but it's still stiffening up everytime I sit down or lie down, and it takes about fifteen minutes of moving around for it to loosen up at all.

What can I do? I'm putting the heating pad on it for twenty minutes at a time every chance I get. I'm obviously not planning to do my morning practice or go to the gym tomorrow, although I intend to at least try to skate tomorrow afternoon. Would swimming be ok to start right away, or should I wait? I usually swim laps twice a week, but I'm not sure if it's a great idea. Mostly I just want to be back on the ice asap because I'm competing in less than four weeks and my Silver Tango is not ready.

You know what's funny? Before going into the hospital for my Ovarian cyst surgery, I pulled my upper inner thigh muscle. I didn't get a chance to ice it but I did rest it alot since I was laid up in the hospital for 4 days straight after surgery. Rest it for a while.

Brigitte

garyc254
10-08-2002, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by wannask8
(and don’t get so comfy on anti-inflammatories that you re-injure yourself!).-- wannask8

Good point. Ibuprofin is also a pain blocker. You can easily overstress your muscles while taking it and not know you've reinjured yourself until in wears off.

coco
10-08-2002, 10:31 AM
Hi - my chiropractor told me to never use heat w/o following it up w/ice. Perhaps this was specific to my injury, but I didn't get that impression.

Also...groin pulls (like pretty much every injury) can be the result of muscular imbalances. If you don't find and correct the true problem, it may happen again and again. So definately get thee to a PT if you can.

Hang in there!! take it easy and let it heal ;)

garyc254
10-09-2002, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by CanAmSk8ter
I did skate this afternoon for about forty minutes. The longer I was on the ice, the looser I felt, I started to go past loose into a slight burn after about thirty-five minutes, so that's when I gave up...... Stairs are still painful; unfortunately, I had a history class on the fourth floor this morning!...... Keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be back to full strength quickly- I know that competition is coming up fast now, because my mom actually started working on my dress!

Since can't sit and rest your leg constantly and must keep up with your daily school and skating schedule, you need to take precautions.

Every time you skate and feel tightness or go up the stairs and feel pain, you are reinjuring the muscle slightly. It will take a lot longer for the muscle to heal. All of the more reason to continue with ice packs to decrease the internal swelling.

I'm dealing with a similar situation with my rotator cuff. If I would put my arm in a sling for a few weeks, it would heal. However, that's not possible, so it is taking a lot longer to heal.

melanieuk
10-09-2002, 09:02 AM
Hope your groin injury heals quickly.
I've had a few tinges in mine (right), and it always seems ready to pop whenever it does something unexpected. I try to ignore it.