View Full Version : Detroit Skating Club Adult Weekend

Skittl1321
04-24-2009, 01:23 PM
DSC has announced their adult weekend: Ice Dance Seminar + Motown Tango Dance weekend, Jump Seminar, and Spin/Footwork Seminar.

The announcement says for the Freestyle Seminars you must have the "preliminary adult free skating test" (like it did when it was first announced last year) and I've already clarified this means Pre-Bronze. Turns out it's not that the announcement was prepared by people who don't know adult skating, but by people who are primarily ice dancers.

It is the same weekend as the Ice House camp in New Jersey.

I would really really like to go to this- as it was something I really wanted to do last year, but had just changed blades and could barely skate! However, owing to the fact that I lose my job in a few days, the money is a bit tight and I can't go without a roommate. (Also, DH is worried about me staying alone in Detroit. I think that's a silly concern...) If any established female posters (visably posting regularly so I "know" you) or skaters who can be vouched for by established posters are interested in rooming together, please contact me. I'm a great roommate, quarkiki can tell you that!

Isk8NYC
04-24-2009, 01:29 PM
Dates: June 26, 27, 28 (Friday - Sunday)

Link: http://www.dscclub.com/pdf_files/2009AdultWeekendII.pdf

They're also offering a test session during the weekend.

quarkiki2
04-24-2009, 04:31 PM
I'd go with you, but I'm in California then...

singerskates
04-25-2009, 12:51 AM
It's $200 is 2/3's of what it would costs for my whole summer session of skating. And money is tight now that we just got more clawed back from the contract with Chryslers here in Canada. Each month we will have to pay an additional $30 for medical benifits plus more for our drug perscriptions each time we get a perscription filled out.

Everything is up in the air.

I wonder how things are going for skaters who have jobs or spouse (or more likely had jobs) with US Chryslers since it looks like they will have to file a chapter 11?

CanadianAdult
04-25-2009, 11:09 AM
It's $200 is 2/3's of what it would costs for my whole summer session of skating. And money is tight now that we just got more clawed back from the contract with Chryslers here in Canada. Each month we will have to pay an additional $30 for medical benifits plus more for our drug perscriptions each time we get a perscription filled out.

I wonder how things are going for skaters who have jobs or spouse (or more likely had jobs) with US Chryslers since it looks like they will have to file a chapter 11?

And your point is? If you want to talk about the economy, take it to your own topic.

This camp has almost seven and a half hours of ice with five and a half under instruction, plus dinner. You live across the river (Windsor) and wouldn't have to take a hotel. Plus, you get to meet other adult skaters and learn new techniques that can invigorate your training. That's why I go to these and other training camps because I always pick up something new.

jp1andOnly
04-25-2009, 11:37 AM
sounds like a good camp at a decent price. I like the fact there is something for everyone

RachelSk8er
04-25-2009, 04:50 PM
Paul handed me a copy of the info today when I ran into him at the rink. I like that they combined the dance weekend with the freestyle clinics so that both events can draw more people and appeal to a wider crowd. I'm normally not into social dance weekends because I'd rather spend money competing. However, since there is more offered and I don't get much (if any) coaching over the summer due to conflicts between my work/summer ice/my coach's schedules, this might be an option this year.

Skittl we'll have to talk if I decide to go. (Do I know you in person? Stormy or pretty much everyone here can vouch for me.) Regardless, your hubby should not have to worry about you staying in Detroit, by the way. Bloomfield Hills where DSC is located is hardly Detroit. It's by far the nicest suburb in the area (was one of the wealthiest in the country at one time, not sure if that's still the case).

singerskates
04-25-2009, 11:09 PM
And your point is? If you want to talk about the economy, take it to your own topic.

This camp has almost seven and a half hours of ice with five and a half under instruction, plus dinner. You live across the river (Windsor) and wouldn't have to take a hotel. Plus, you get to meet other adult skaters and learn new techniques that can invigorate your training. That's why I go to these and other training camps because I always pick up something new.

I'd probably get shut out if I do finally get the money to go. But as of right now, I can't afford to go even though I'd love to go.

Skittl1321
04-26-2009, 02:09 PM

I just lost my job and I'm going. It would be really really helpful if I can share a hotel with someone, but I think this is a good value for my skating dollar, even though I've pretty much had to stop my lessons (I do 10 minutes a week now). My thought is that the competition at my rink is almost $90 to enter the first event- that's for a minute and forty seconds. This is $90 for 5 hours of seminar. The real expense in it is getting there, and staying there. I'll have to cut out other things, and if I'm still jobless next summer, there won't be a repeat, but for me, right now, it's worth it.

Skittl1321
04-27-2009, 01:39 PM
Check in the mail, (cancelable) hotel room booked.

Still looking for a roommate, but pretty pleased about the rate if I end up being on my own. *crosses fingers that I actually get in, since there is a limit* (Though last year there were only 18 adults, and the limit is 25- so I think I'm good...)

flying~camel
04-27-2009, 01:49 PM
I'd go, but I'll be in Florida that weekend.

LilJen
04-27-2009, 02:26 PM
Sounds AWESOME! I'm probably gonna be out of town, though . . . passing on to adult skaters at our club.

Skittl1321
05-10-2009, 09:09 AM
Well DSC cashed my check, so I'm assuming that means I got in :)

I know one or two other skaters going- but I thought I'd bump this up. Anyone else planning on going?

Mel On Ice
05-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Wish I was but I think I'm testing silver MIF that day.

RachelSk8er
05-10-2009, 05:23 PM
I think I'm going to Peach Classic labor day weekend instead. My boyfriend and I are going on vacation in July, and I can't afford a clinic and Peach (and 2 new dresses for next year that I'm having made) on top of that right now.

But Peach means I won't have to go through Stormy withdrawal until either NYI in Feb or next ANs!!!

Mel On Ice
05-14-2009, 06:37 PM
I got my weekends mixed up and I think I will be going for Saturday only. No dinner, got to get home to the boy.

Skittl1321
06-08-2009, 03:43 PM
Bumping this up now that it's closer to see if anyone else is going.

I'm getting really nervous. I am scared of new places/people... I'm thinking that after I get to Detroit on Friday I'll go over and check out the layout of the rink just to make sure I'm prepared for Saturday. I'm also a little worried that I haven't recieved any sort of confirmation of registration - is that normal?- They cashed my check...

Kat12
06-08-2009, 05:43 PM
Also, DH is worried about me staying alone in Detroit.

FWIW, DSC isn't IN Detroit...it's in Bloomfield Hills which isn't a bad area as far as I know. I know Detroit has a bad rap, but the nice suburbs are a far cry from the ghetto (and so, for that matter, are some of the nicer parts of Detroit proper). Ask my mom...first time she came to visit after I moved to a suburb, she looked around and said "oh, this is nice, now I'm not so worried about you." I think she was imagining me dodging drive-bys and crack dealers at every turn. :)

icedancer2
06-08-2009, 06:37 PM
Bloomfield Hills is a VERY nice area - the DSC used to be in a really bad area... until it burned down 30 years ago...

Skittl1321
06-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Bloomfield Hills is a VERY nice area

Yeah- I've told everyone who has expressed concern that. They still think I'm staying in a tent on a street corner in the worst part of Detroit.

sk8er1964
06-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Yeah- I've told everyone who has expressed concern that. They still think I'm staying in a tent on a street corner in the worst part of Detroit.

Show them this website: http://www.bloomfieldhillsmi.net/Community/Overview.asp

Bloomfield Hills is located in the southeast quadrant of Oakland County. As of the 2000 census, the city population was 3,940. Bloomfield Hills consistently ranks as one of the top five wealthiest cities in the United States consisting of over 1,000 households. It currently is listed at the number four position and in 1990 it was ranked number 2. Thirty-nine percent of households in Bloomfield Hills have a value of over $1,000,000. This value is also the highest percentage of all houses in Bloomfield Hills."

You'll be fine!

slusher
06-08-2009, 08:29 PM
Well just don't go out on the street corner and yell "Go Pens!" Although once the Red Wings win the cup in a couple of days no one will care. :lol:

sk8er1964
06-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Couple of days??? Tomorrow night!!! Go Wings!

:mrgreen:

dance2sk8
06-08-2009, 10:28 PM

I live in Waterford, 15 minutes north of the DSC rink. If you are heading there on Friday, let me know what time and I can meet up with you. What hotel are you staying at? Send me a message and let me know. :)

I am testing again Tuesday, the 23rd for my Pre-Bronze Freestyle test to get it out of the way and start moving into Bronze.

BTW, Bloomfield Hills is beautiful and most of the area north of downtown is. Its the downtown area and parts of Pontiac that aren't in good shape. Its so sad.

dance2sk8
06-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Oh, and I am attending both Saturday and Sunday Freestyle Seminars and Saturday night dinner/dance. I have to turn my forms in this week for it. Yay!!!! :D

Mel On Ice
06-08-2009, 10:46 PM
I'm waiting to hear if there is room for me on Saturday.

MarciajsR
06-08-2009, 10:53 PM
Looking forward to seeing all of you there. I love clinics and thought it was good value as I can drive. Mel, look forward to seeing new pictures of Will.

Marci

Mel On Ice
06-09-2009, 12:01 PM
you'd think now that he's home, there's be more.