View Full Version : Very confused about what class to take.

Becky-on-ice
04-21-2009, 09:46 PM
Hi everybody,

I had my test today to see if I passed Delta (ISI), my coach did pass me but he said I might "be on the bottom of the totem pole" in the freestyle 1 class. This really crashed my spirits, I don't think I am any better than anyone else, but I worked SO hard. What if I can't keep up with freestyle 1? I really, really want to go on, but maybe I need to take Delta again. But, my coach said go for it and if I feel overwhelmed I can switch back to Delta. I am just so confused and upset and I don't know what to do. :cry:

Any advise?

Thanks,
Becky

dbny
04-21-2009, 10:02 PM
Congratulations!

A pass is a pass. Some people do better when they are at the bottom of a class, and in skating, the ones at the bottom usually get more attention. I think it's better than being at the top of a class, but only you know how you will feel about it.

Skittl1321
04-22-2009, 07:47 AM
If you passed Delta- move to Freestyle 1, just remember that it's normal to not pass the freestyle levels as quickly as the basic skills levels.

Just because you're in FS doesn't mean you won't keep practicing the skills from the levels below, so keep working on all of those things as you add new skills in.

A good group lesson coach should be able to tailor to the abilities in the class. My freestyle class (I'm in USFS Freestyle 4- but not everyone is) yesterday we did "spins"- I did a sit spin, someone else a camel, someone else a backspin, and someone else a back camel. But the instructor worked on all of us with spins. The "bottom of the heap" gets as much attention as the top, and we all learn from each other.

Isk8NYC
04-22-2009, 07:53 AM
--CONGRATULATIONS--

My suggestion is to take the Freestyle 1 class and be sure to practice at least an hour or two extra each week.
Use your practice time to do all the Alpha-Delta elements as well as the Freestyle 1 skills.

Be sure to get to the rink well before your lesson and warm up off-ice with stretches and a bit of jumping (a jump rope works well.)
That way, you'll be all ready to skate when the lesson begins instead of having to warm up on-ice during the start of your lesson.

Becky-on-ice
04-22-2009, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the quick answers, everyone! I ended up signing up for the Freestyle 1 class and I feel confident enough about that decision. (yay!)

Sorry I posted my question in the wrong area of the forum, *again*. I will try to learn where each question will be best suited. :roll:

Thank you,

Becky

kayskate
04-23-2009, 06:52 PM
How did you feel about your level of performance? It is not always realistic to compare yourself to others, but do you feel secure w the skills? I know which skills are a stretch for my students (and for myself) and which ones are easy.

If you can afford it, you may want to supplement with a couple of privates. You may benefit from more individual attn.

You may also want to increase your practice time.

Congrats on the pass and good luck w your FS1 class.

Kay

Skate@Delaware
04-24-2009, 11:23 AM
congrats on your pass!

Skating is one of those sports where we tend to be so critical of our own skills, you need to start thinking in more positive terms...I would suggest keeping a training log/journal. Just a notebook. After each lesson, jot down a few things you worked on in class and if the instructor mentioned things to work on for next time, put that down...each time you practice, write down what you work on.

Think about structuring your practice times:
-warmup off ice
-slight stretching
-warmup on ice with some basic skating moves (stroking, crossover etc)
-bit more stretching
-basic moves like edges
--then your homework moves

be careful to not overwork an element....you don't want to spend an hour on one thing. Break it up.