View Full Version : Working Hard or Hardly Working Practice Thread 4/20-5/3/2009

Isk8NYC
04-21-2009, 09:41 AM
I'm multitasking: waiting for a job to finish for work while I have last night's "Chuck" playing on the other computer.
The laundry and dishwasher are hard at work...Oh, and I'm on skatingforums! Thought the title was appropriate, ROFLOL!

Working Hard:
MITF were okay last night; didn't try anything too high-level, but nothing tanked.

Spins were good - taught moving back scratch spins and my student caught on right away.

Hardly Working:
Jumps were wonky on loose skates with loose blades. Talk about a moving target on the landings!

liz_on_ice
04-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Working hard - back to getting up at omg-thirty to get to 6:30am session now that Rockefeller Center is closed for the summer (sob). Had a good practice session for jumps and spins, footwork so-so as I get used to the high-speed crowd at this rink again. Met summer coach and talked plans and goals. I'm psyched for summer tests

hardly working - RBI 3 turn has gone pffft. It scrapes, it jumps, it skids out, it does everything but turn crisply.:giveup: LBI 3 is not pretty, but not this kind of trouble.

Skate@Delaware
04-21-2009, 01:15 PM
working hard, but not on the ice......Catching up on my online class homework (got behind during spring break, imagine that, but with hubby home AND tv on constantly....grrrr!!!!).

Tried to register for the last class I need and it is full already!!!! GRRRRRR!!!!!!! Registration opened at 0800, by 0815 ALL SECTIONS (4 with 18 seats) were full. It's campus specific so, that's that. Have to catch it in the Spring or next Fall (during which time I will ....hopefullyy..... be in clinicals).

which means I have no classes left to take while I wait and paying jobs around here are nada, zip, gone. Can't skate if you have no money!

I'm like number 33 on the waitlist.............:frus::giveup:

Isk8NYC
04-21-2009, 01:17 PM
Did you try to petition your way in with the Professor or Dept Chair? They can usually grant waivers for special circumstances. (Although online courses could be different.)

Skate@Delaware
04-21-2009, 01:24 PM
Did you try to petition your way in with the Professor or Dept Chair? They can usually grant waivers for special circumstances. (Although online courses could be different.)

I would like to think that this would help, but it is the department chair that is teaching this course and it fills up quickly. In the old days (before they changed the way you registered) you had to get approval to take certain classes and seats were held for advanced students (for cases like mine, for instances, who needed this microbiology).....but nowadays ANYONE can take any class provided there is no campus block/restriction or prerequisite block. This class has a lab, so there are a very limited number of seats (because of the lab equipment needed).

Because today, most registration is done online....and you have to keep refilling out your page and clicking on submit faster than the next person. And even tho I am fast, I was not fast enough.

All this for a 4-credit course!!!! And, it's only taught by one person anymore.

Skittl1321
04-21-2009, 01:26 PM
Because today, most registration is done online....and you have to keep refilling out your page and clicking on submit faster than the next person. And even tho I am fast, I was not fast enough.

Which is so much better than when we had to do phone registration (my school switched to online my junior year)- classes filled up as fast, so you'd gather all the phones you could find and hit redial until one of them connected!

Keep watching it in add/drop periods (if your school has them). I know I was notororius for changing my schedule 15-20 times.

Skate@Delaware
04-21-2009, 01:27 PM
on a skating note....
Hardly, sort of working: because I have been busy with other things, I have done some off-ice stuff for my sit (yeah, non-existant) spin....

This morning, even tho I was very stiff, I managed to achieve a sit spin position. Getting up proved impossible, as my free leg managed to get a cramp in the quad; it was a horrific cramp and I just rolled over. Now I can get into a beautiful position, as long as I go down until my behind is almost down to the floor (simulated ice). Once there, my back is not sore and I feel pretty good.

so, I'm thinking I'll just spin down and work on achieving a split position and end my routines with that! Unless there is a part of the rulebook that says you actually have to go back UP out of a sit spin, I should be good!

maybe I found the loophole we've all been missing?

Skate@Delaware
04-21-2009, 01:29 PM
Which is so much better than when we had to do phone registration (my school switched to online my junior year)- classes filled up as fast, so you'd gather all the phones you could find and hit redial until one of them connected!

Keep watching it in add/drop periods (if your school has them). I know I was notororius for changing my schedule 15-20 times.

Yeah, I'm hoping there will be an opening, even if I have to pick it up during the 1st few weeks of classes....which would be sort of bad but not irrecoverable.

Skittl1321
04-21-2009, 01:31 PM
so, I'm thinking I'll just spin down and work on achieving a split position and end my routines with that! Unless there is a part of the rulebook that says you actually have to go back UP out of a sit spin, I should be good!

maybe I found the loophole we've all been missing?

That would be pretty funny if it's allowed. If you get away with it, I might have to try that too!

I wonder if the exit is considered part of the spin though :(
But congrats on hitting that position.

Isk8NYC
04-21-2009, 01:50 PM
Which is so much better than when we had to do phone registration (my school switched to online my junior year)- classes filled up as fast, so you'd gather all the phones you could find and hit redial until one of them connected!Ah, the joys of technology. I remember having to stand on multiple lines in the gymnasium at 7am while they pulled index cards and checked green-and-white dot matrix lists to determine if you could/couldn't register for a class. Then they'd give you a form or card (I forget what they were called) that you have to get the chair/prof to sign. It was like being a process server, lol.

However, there were ways to beat the system, like getting a few credit ahead of your classmates by taking summer courses or getting transfer credits applied to your transcript. The more credits you had, the earlier you were allowed to register for a course.

Sometimes, if enough people hit the wait list, our school starts a new section. I hope that you get into the class.

PS - I do think some one-foot exit must be required, lol. Although, I have seen skaters use a knee slide to get out of a sit spin...

Wish me luck - I'm attacking my blades with a screwdriver again.

Skate@Delaware
04-21-2009, 02:06 PM
That would be pretty funny if it's allowed. If you get away with it, I might have to try that too!

I wonder if the exit is considered part of the spin though :(
But congrats on hitting that position.
Thanks! Like i said, getting down is easier, it's the getting up thats problematic!!! 8O
Ah, the joys of technology. I remember having to stand on multiple lines in the gymnasium at 7am while they pulled index cards and checked green-and-white dot matrix lists to determine if you could/couldn't register for a class. Then they'd give you a form or card (I forget what they were called) that you have to get the chair/prof to sign. It was like being a process server, lol.

However, there were ways to beat the system, like getting a few credit ahead of your classmates by taking summer courses or getting transfer credits applied to your transcript. The more credits you had, the earlier you were allowed to register for a course.

Sometimes, if enough people hit the wait list, our school starts a new section. I hope that you get into the class.

PS - I do think some one-foot exit must be required, lol. Although, I have seen skaters use a knee slide to get out of a sit spin...

knee slide, hmmmm.....have to see how I would work that in.

Be careful with your surgery and good luck!!! I'm thinking of moving my right blade over a scootch....but since it's my backspin blade, I'm cautious.

Becky-on-ice
04-21-2009, 02:31 PM
Working Hard: My test to see if I pass Delta (ISI) is this evening, wish me luck! Lunges are easy enough for me now and all it cost me was the use of my right leg the next day. :lol: I've been working very hard on mowhawks and inside three turns. Very excited about (hopefully) passing Delta and moving to Freestyle and getting a new coach with that move.

Hardly Working: I don't like practicing cross-rolls! :frus: (I think that's what they are called)

Mrs Redboots
04-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Hardly working: We are competing in less than a week and I have no idea what we are going to wear! We could wear basic tango kit (this is for our free dance), but, while my tango dress fits, it's far from flattering, and I'd rather wear something silly.

Working hard: Coach was complimentary about our routine, although this just might be because it was our last run-through with him before the comp (we have another lesson on it with Coach2 on Sunday).

singerskates
04-21-2009, 07:01 PM
working hard, but not on the ice......Catching up on my online class homework (got behind during spring break, imagine that, but with hubby home AND tv on constantly....grrrr!!!!).

Tried to register for the last class I need and it is full already!!!! GRRRRRR!!!!!!! Registration opened at 0800, by 0815 ALL SECTIONS (4 with 18 seats) were full. It's campus specific so, that's that. Have to catch it in the Spring or next Fall (during which time I will ....hopefullyy..... be in clinicals).

which means I have no classes left to take while I wait and paying jobs around here are nada, zip, gone. Can't skate if you have no money!

I'm like number 33 on the waitlist.............:frus::giveup:

See if you can get an online course from one of those reputable colleges/universities and have it transferred to your school.

My daughter had the same problem when she was in university. It cost here an extra half year to graduate for a 4 year BA Honours Deploma in Dramatic Arts. It would have taken longer if she hadn't have made a deal with a few of her profs that had their courses at the same time. She managed to get them both with a B+ or higher. Can't remember the marks. In her core classes she had to have 70% for a C and needed a B to pass. Talk about hard.

TimDavidSkate
04-21-2009, 07:54 PM
Hardly Working - after some few weeks of depression, it hardly got me to do pass a loop jump, then more weeks of just laziness

Working hard - at the last minute, after not skating at all for 5 days and now stepping on the ice the day before and at nationals practice ice

Kim to the Max
04-21-2009, 08:24 PM
Working Hard:

Had 2 fully rotated axels today :) and my double sals are way close!!

Hardly Working:

Spins were not working all that well today...and while not skating related, I was a hot mess before I got to the rink...couldn't find my car keys, lost my ID card, ugh! Found my spare set of car keys, and still don't know where my other set went to :( So, I was rushed to get my time in at the rink...

jazzpants
04-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Tim: I saw you at practice ice, but I didn't get a chance to say hello since I was invited to go to dinner. Besides that, I'm exhausted and I probably wouldn't be much good company anyway... (BTW: I know what you'll be skating to tomorrow!!! :P :lol: )

flo: Thank you for covering for one of my practice ice! It was much appreciated!!! :bow:

Well, I'm at Grand Rapids and rooming with Terri C. I'm really jet lagged right now and am getting ready to go to bed!!! :giveup: Tomorrow is my technical event and I'm the last person in my group to compete (Terri is two people before me.)

Working hard: Me during my practice ice. Did an hour! And my feet LOVES the NHL rink!!! It's cold but it's not ROCK HARD!!! The worst thing is pretty much that the ice chips, but meh, I've skated a LOT worse and this old body loves this patch!!!

Hardly working: Technical program is still unstable!!! Not always landing my loop, flips and lutz jumps, but I did land some of them!!!

Working hard: We (Primary coach and I) did make a strategic change! We'll see if it translate tomorrow!!! :P :lol:

Wish me luck! Wish Terri luck too!!! Who knows? Maybe hell will freeze over tomorrow and I'll actually make it to finals!!! :twisted: :P :lol:

Isk8NYC
04-21-2009, 08:53 PM
GOooooOOOooo AN Skaters! Have a great skate!
This title is so appropriate since I wasted 45 out of 90 minutes procrastinating and doing nonsense, lol.

Hardly Working:
Right skate blade is just wrong! I can feel it on RFO 3's and crossovers. Grrrr. I will make these skates work!

Still fighting with flip and loop landings. I'm all the way around, but I just can't keep that free foot off the ice long enough to catch the landing.

Working Hard:
Left skate is okay, but needs to be sharpened.

I have half of the threes-on-the line (Inside & Outside) pretty solid, but it's the right turns that are making me sweat and touch down.

The new Prel MITF crossover pattern is not half-bad. It's harder to remember to only do one round of fwd crossovers, lol.

Spirals were really good, although the RFI ones were s-l-o-o-o-w.

"Went for it" on a half lutz and managed a 3/4 turn in the air. Have no idea what edge the takeoff was, but it felt like a BO.

Spins were pretty good; camel entrance was skidding. Layback was nicely centered, which probably means it wasn't "laid back."

Started working on a new fancy backspin. Have no idea what it looks like, but I liked the willowy arms and the tucked skating foot.

I tested music for my students on my iPod; have to redo two of them - one sounds strange (distorted) and the other is the wrong length. Duh!

Did preliminary choreography for my Basic 7 skater's program. I usually overestimate the skater's speed, so I played it safe this time and did everything three times slower than I ordinarily would. If she's faster, I can add some elements into the program. I think she *might* cover the ice in one minute, end to end.

Debbie S
04-21-2009, 10:51 PM
Good luck Jazz and Terri!

Hey, maybe we should have a separate AN news/results thread?

Mrs Redboots
04-22-2009, 06:02 AM
Good luck, all you AN skaters. Is there a news/results/gossip thread yet? If not, I'll start one in a minute.

Meanwhile, we were working hard this morning on the Swing Dance and Willow Waltz with Coach2 who wants us to improve the presentation.

I just wish I could get up out of the assisted teapot in our free dance, as we then go straight into the spin and, right now, it's the only bit that is hardly working!

Kim to the Max
04-22-2009, 08:38 AM
Found my spare set of car keys, and still don't know where my other set went to

As I was just leaving my office, I found my keys....I put them on my bookshelf, where I NEVER put the darn things....oh well, at least I found them!

Bunny Hop
04-22-2009, 10:42 AM
A very appropriate thread title for this week:

Hardly Working: First skate back after the Easter school holidays (when there was no point even trying), but public session was still packed with kids, so didn't get much done. Had a lesson, but was too worried about who was about to barge into us to actually concentrate on what I was doing, so it was pretty rubbish. In fact, I now can't remember anything we did! :frus:

Working Hard: Not me, but my husband and his competition partner (he also has 'scary partner', but that's another story...). Their 'dress rehearsal' for the competition next week looked good. Can't wait to cheer them on.

Isk8NYC
04-22-2009, 11:31 AM
Hey, maybe we should have a separate AN news/results thread?http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=28462

Debbie S
04-22-2009, 11:52 AM
http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=28462Yes, I know about that thread. I started it right after I posted that question.

Skittl1321
04-22-2009, 12:08 PM
Working Hard Actually got a compliment on my sit spin from my group coach. I was thrilled!

Did forward 3's on a line and the inside ones went pretty well.

Hardly working
The outside ones did not. Man am I glad these aren't on the adult tests. How does that transition work?

MITF Spirals are horrible. (The straightline ones and the ones on the edges, but we just did edges). On the forward outside, my right one isn't too bad, but my left one really is. My inside ones I look like a hippopotamus impersonating an airplane. It's HORRIBLE. And I'm terrified of even doing it on my left leg and think I'm going to fall over and can't make it through the whole lobe even as a hippo. YUCK!

Skate@Delaware
04-22-2009, 01:25 PM
Hardly Working:
Jumps were wonky on loose skates with loose blades. Talk about a moving target on the landings!

but then you are much harder to catch that way!!!! LOL!!

Working Hard: Had the ice all to myself for the first hour AND I GOT TO PLAY MY OWN MUSIC!!!! Worked on: Stroking (6 laps), crossover exercise on the center circle (that is still soooooo difficult), spin entrance from the line, waltz jumps, salchows, toe-loops, loops, backspins (normal & pivot entrances), sit spin exercises (spin entrances from the line, and skating backwards while squatting), and sit spins.

Hardly Working: loops & sit spins. Then backspins left, but I had a bit of a migraine so I'm not surprised if my spins were a bit off. And I did not adjust my blade yet so I can't blame that.

I took a few minutes of video of my skating. When I get some time I will compile it and post it on my youtube site and link it.

dbny
04-22-2009, 07:03 PM
Working Hard:
Finally got myself to the rink today to practice! When I got up this AM, I went right to the computer and started watching dance tests to get myself motivated, and it worked. There was almost no one there and I stayed for 2 hours! F cross rolls were really rolling, nice deep edges and lovely ups and downs. F swing rolls are getting better, meaning I'm finally rising up and then down in time for the next push. B cross rolls felt OK, but by then, there were more people around, so I didn't feel all that secure doing them. Did a few circles of progressive run/chasse, repeat, and picked up speed. Saw in the glass that I was nice and low. FI threes are still good! Did just one set of Prelim power threes on the line, but they were actually not bad at all. Tomorrow I'll take them down the the rink, where they belong. Haven't worked on them in ages.

Hardly Working:
I could not get thru even one pattern of alt FI threes on the line, but the problem is not the threes. It's the little flip forward before the push to the next edge. This is something that is usually no problem for me, so I'm not too distressed about it. It'll be back soon, and then I'll be able to ace the pattern again. Spins were not happening. I just wasn't over my skates very well today, and it showed in the spins, which didn't go past 3 revs. I was consistently leaning forward. Haven't done that in a long time, so I'm hoping it's just that I was a little tired today. I really need to start doing stretches for spirals!

It felt sooo good to practice!

Kim to the Max
04-22-2009, 07:26 PM
Hardly working:

frickin', frackin' axel...I can do them off ice perfectly well, but when I get on ice, I don't cross my feet (I can make that correction off ice by REALLY thinking about it for a few, then it's fine), and I don't stay in long enough...I am getting way frustrated with this jump! I want to be able to do it RIGHT, not just good enough... :frus: :frus: :frus:

I am hoping to attempt a correction with my feet tomorrow and work on staying in at a later date...

Working hard:

I'm trying to catch my blade as I'm doing a layback to do a haircutter, and I'm getting closer :)

2 sal is still really close...having the same issue with my feet as in my axel slightly, but at the same time, my feet seem (from feel only) a little better in the 2 sal....who knows...

I am steadily getting more comfortable with the Junior Moves...while not at speed, I was able to do the power pulls today with minimal touchdowns...they were slow, but I'm okay with that!

Skate@Delaware
04-22-2009, 08:40 PM
Yes, glutton for punishment, went skating AGAIN!!!
Working Hard: worked on spins (again...), scratch spin assignment: try to make it back to the line but other than that they were good.

Backspins: wow, wow! WOW! Here is what was done differntly: open shoulder, open hips (I actually have to think about pushing my free leg's knee over hard) and I managed some really great ones!

Waltz jump: still working on "loose" arms...they are better.

Salchow: trying to keep the 3-turn elongated.

Toe-loop: same as the salchow, and when I hooooold then toe in, POP!

Hardly Working but paying it's dues: Loop.....this jump is an effort of love. I have issues with this but it is slowly getting better. The timing on this has to be very quick. So, it's LFI, RFI mohawk BO edge (set down) JUMP (while opening up left shoulder and lifting left leg).....hmmmmm. I managed some with my weight correctly placed, but the timing was off, or visa-versa.

We touched on a 'tool' to use for loop jumping-flip jump setup. I'm to add that to my training and see if that helps with weight placement. I need to do some off-ice jumps as well.

No sit spins tonight. I'm still working at the gym & at home with the muscular imbalance issues. Probably will hit them next week.

liz_on_ice
04-23-2009, 08:46 AM
working hard - reviewed several FS3 elements this morning I asked to work on, got lots of good advice and took copious notes to review in practice. Worked on the layout of my spotlight program for the larger rink, and it works.
Coach registered my test and I got my FS3 patch :)

hardly working - still struggling with 4:45 wakeup call for this session. :giveup:The rink is colder than I remember, needs warm gloves even in summer.

Who else here is entering the Skyrink ISI comp in June?

SkatEn
04-23-2009, 10:23 AM
Don't over do it and strip the screws! I think that's what is happening to my blades! :halo:

When there is a class timetable registration, it went out in minutes, especially ones that are hotly popular. My friend did a test. In 5 min, it's left with one or two timetables. Be fast! I wish you luck on getting the class you want. In my school, appeals are unlikely to be granted.:??

Hardly Working but paying it's dues: Loop.....this jump is an effort of love. I have issues with this but it is slowly getting better. The timing on this has to be very quick. So, it's LFI, RFI mohawk BO edge (set down) JUMP (while opening up left shoulder and lifting left leg).....hmmmmm. I managed some with my weight correctly placed, but the timing was off, or visa-versa.

Loop was a jump that made me really frustrated. You'll get it. In due time. Wish you luck. Once you get it, it's easy to improve on it.

Working hard:
Finally got back onto the ice after 9 days. -dies-
Very irregular practices. 8 days break, skate for one time, another 8 days break, skate twice, 9 days break. blah!
Glad to go back to the rink, and i felt strange at first.
I lost all my spins except sit spin, but I'm working to get it back.

Hardly working:
I didn't do anything but try a lot of scratch spins which travelled 1 meter between revolutions. it was crazy and really demoralising.
Decided to jump after back spin felt out of the world, and sit spin was weird too.

Working hard:
I am way more conscious about correcting my arms, and it's awesome that my loops and flips are getting a lot of height.

Hardly working:
Lutz is still quite small. Flip seems to take off on both foot again.:frus::frus::frus::giveup:

I'll do better next time.
In the meantime, I'll work hard at finding a time to skate.:D

dbny
04-23-2009, 06:55 PM
Hardly Working:
I just could not get to sleep last night. Finally dozed fitfully off around 5 AM, and had to be up at 10 to go to work.

Working Hard:
Had my ice dance lesson at 1:30 after giving an hour of lessons and taking a few minutes to rest. For the first time, I felt like I was really skating! We started with the Canasta Tango, then went back to the Dutch Waltz, because Kilian position is easier on my right wrist, which is still a bit tweaky from my fall last week. I recalled the Dutch Waltz as being a whirlwind on which I was somehow carried around the rink, but today it was fun, on pattern, and on time! After the second round of the DW, coach said both Canasta Tango & Dutch Waltz were passing quality. I need more practice before I'm willing to test, and I want to do the Rhythm Blues at the same time, and haven't even started that yet. I asked another coach who was taking a break to video the Canasta Tango with my phone, so the quality isn't very good, but I could see that, indeed, I'm matching my coach's extension and knee bend. This coach told me she grabbed another coach and said "look - dbny's gliding!" I hardly ever skate in front of anyone where I work. I am so in love with ice dance!

FlyAndCrash
04-23-2009, 08:23 PM
I guess this is technically from last week, but intercollegiate nationals was last weekend.

Working Hard: I got fourth in my event. You can see the video of it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOm0M_2yRrg. People said it was one of my best skates, but... I can see some flaws.

Working Harder: The team placed first!!!

Hardly Working: I haven't been on the ice since I got back from nationals. :giveup: Maybe I'll find the energy to go tomorrow morning.

liz_on_ice
04-23-2009, 09:10 PM
Hardly Working:
I just could not get to sleep last night. Finally dozed fitfully off around 5 AM, and had to be up at 10 to go to work.

Working Hard:
Had my ice dance lesson at 1:30 after giving an hour of lessons and taking a few minutes to rest. For the first time, I felt like I was really skating! We started with the Canasta Tango, then went back to the Dutch Waltz, because Kilian position is easier on my right wrist, which is still a bit tweaky from my fall last week. I recalled the Dutch Waltz as being a whirlwind on which I was somehow carried around the rink, but today it was fun, on pattern, and on time! After the second round of the DW, coach said both Canasta Tango & Dutch Waltz were passing quality. I need more practice before I'm willing to test, and I want to do the Rhythm Blues at the same time, and haven't even started that yet. I asked another coach who was taking a break to video the Canasta Tango with my phone, so the quality isn't very good, but I could see that, indeed, I'm matching my coach's extension and knee bend. This coach told me she grabbed another coach and said "look - dbny's gliding!" I hardly ever skate in front of anyone where I work. I am so in love with ice dance!

Hooray! I'm glad you are having so much fun :D

dbny
04-23-2009, 09:51 PM
Hooray! I'm glad you are having so much fun :D

Thank you :D. It's about time, huh!

liz_on_ice
04-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Working hard - actually read the notes I took after lesson and tried to apply them. Worked on my programs.

I met a couple of new adult skaters, one just started in group lessons this Dec, but has AOSS bad. :lol: The other is about where I am, and just moved here from Miami.

Skate@Delaware
04-24-2009, 10:52 AM
Working hard, but not at skating. No skating today (no skating until Monday), as I'm taking an online pre-test test for my clinical math (3 hours worth). Then I'm doing other stuff.

On a school note: I am on a waiting list for both the summer & fall microbiology classes.....which is better than nothing. I might not get the exact day/time I want but hey, if I'm in that's good.

DBNY: I'm so glad you are enjoying ice dance! We are trying to get a group started back up at my rink....the skating director is keen on it, it's trying to generate more interest among everyone else (maybe we can attract more adults that way).

blue111moon
04-24-2009, 11:38 AM
Working hard: It seems that the lessons I'm having with my new coach are paying off, as brief and sporadic as they are. According to her, my utch Waltz and Canasta would pass the test right now, and be "superb" (her word, not mine) if I can stay on tempo through the three patterns. The chasses and my arm positions need adjustments but on the whole, they're doable. :) At least i'm not limping through them anymore.

We then spent the rest of the lesson working the choreography on my solo free dance, taking into consideration the limitations my ankle surgery has caused. The stuff she's come up with is good - and will probably be very nice should I get to the point of being able to actually DO it.

Hardly working: spins. Skating ankle Will Not Bend so sits are out. Camels are never good for me. So I'm left with an upright and a backspin as my options. :frus:

In any case the free dance music makes me smile so I can at least have a good time while I stumble about.

alliegator66
04-27-2009, 11:22 AM
working hard: I had a good lesson this morning. My coach feels that I am progressing each week. Took some focus off jumps and spins and worked a lot on moves to improve speed and flow. A few years back when then-coach made moves a focus I did sorta see some improvement. They're boring, but I'll stick with them.

hardly working: the first competition I planned to enter in 4 years turns out to be on the exact weekend that a good friend booked a trip for a girl's weekend which I SWORE I would attend. So, no competition for me in September. I'll have to wait for the Texas state games in January :( There is just nothing nearby all fall long.

Skate@Delaware
04-28-2009, 03:41 PM
Today's practice got off to a very slow start....took a lot of WORKING HARD to get it off of the ground (ice).

Started with a few laps of stroking (to get my ice legs and the feel of the ice, posture, etc). Then I did several (as in 8) laps of crossovers in the figure-8 pattern. I tried to get 5 crossovers in each direction. That is hard to do and requires a lot of quick footwork (for me anyway, I'm still very insecure doing that).

Then it was up to the line, and some spin entrance work from there. I did about 10 and managed 2 spins that were successfully done (they took off and "landed" from the line). Backspins. The first ones done were yuck.

Salchows, toe-loops, flip (entrance only).....worked on flatter 3-turns. I am new to the flip entrance and it's really hard to hold that flat 3 and toe-in.....8O

Then I did some loop jumps. I did manage some 2-footed ones which were ok.

Finally, back to the backspin, and I tried to open up the left side of my body....with some success. I also tried to keep weight off of my free leg. That will be a work in progress but these were better.

There was only one other person on the ice, which was really nice (another figure skater).

Here is the link to my video from last week's practice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIax9hH95pw

Isk8NYC
04-28-2009, 08:43 PM
Looks like no one started a new thread this week. I'll change the dates in the title and make this a two-weeker.

Working Hard:
MITF were very good, even managed a few threes on the line that were decent.

I couldn't understand why the 8-step has a bad reputation, then I realized that (a) I usually do outside mohawks before starting a jumping pass; and (b) the latter half of the pattern is similar to the Basic 8 sequence that I teach several times each week. It's not so bad for me.

Hardly Working:
Need new skates or, failing that, need a good alignment and sharpening. I think I'm going to have to take a road trip for both soon, because I'm getting really frustrated at not being able to do simple things.

Singles were the same - almost, but not quite, landed. At least my ankle isn't hurting from loop jumps tonight.

Spins were crapola - couldn't center at all. See: sharpening, needed, urgent.

dbny
04-28-2009, 09:02 PM
Working Hard:
Got to skate yesterday as I had an easy weekend. The public session was almost empty, and the ice was pretty good. I did the Canasta Tango and the Dutch Waltz, getting good ice coverage with no problem. I’m sure I cheated a bit on the DW timing. There was no music for it, so I was able to take a little time when I felt I needed it. I’m really enjoying my dull blades, as they make three turns easier, and I’m stepping up to the challenge of holding edges in spite of the dullness. I’m getting rips on all my cross rolls, and yesterday even on F power pulls. The FI threes needed some coaxing, but by the end, they were almost passing. In my dance lesson on Thurs, coach had me do fast F cross rolls keeping my free leg close. They were fun, and I did some nice ones yesterday with good rips, no skids and decent edges. Spins still weren't the best, but I did manage several of 3 to 4 revs, and all were centered. Prelim power threes moved along, but need to be much faster. My choctaw problem with the L side seems to be solved!

Hardly Working:
I am still getting excessively dizzy from spinning. Having a problem with LFI on FI figure 8.

liz_on_ice
04-29-2009, 08:25 AM
Working hard - I practiced from my lesson notes and had serious improvement in toe loop entry, change-foot spin, and generally holding BI edges checked. loop coming along, flip creeping there.
Lesson this morning went over some uncaptured jumps to dress up my program (jump-3, 1/4 lutz, half-loop)

hardly working - backspins felt funny, sitspins were poor, didn't even get to camel

LilJen
04-29-2009, 07:37 PM
Working Hard: Good practice last week & today on silver moves (well, power pulls, back 3s, and cross strokes). Today's lesson: FS! which we haven't done in a long time. Worked on toe loop--totally wasn't checking myself sufficiently before jumping, whether it was from an inside 3 or a waltz jump. Started work on backspin and loop, whee! So, inside 3 & turn, right at the boards = backspin for now. And inside 3, hop & pull arms in = my current loop jump.

Hardly working: That swing dance: Easy but hard! Can't keep it straight where I'm to look AND the steps AND the hold AND the partnering. . .

Funny moment: one guy was working on his FS (well, his pairs program w/o his partner) and dang, that music sounded familiar; I kept thinking "Joubert? Joubert?" Sure enough it was Apocalyptica's cover of Metallica's Nothing Else Matters. which Joubert used in his free program last season. :roll: Dude, the last person I feel like thinking about while at the rink is Joubert. (Not a fan; respect the skills, but not a fan.)

Skate@Delaware
04-29-2009, 08:50 PM
Working hard: backspins-sloooowly getting there. Change-foot spins: started back on them again. I'm to do 2-3 revs of reg spins with foot open (i.e. not crossed) then bend deep and backspin....I still end up on my toepicks more often than not but managed to squeak one out that was 3/4 of a revolution....

Hardly working:
Waltz jump: for some reason, my arms became detached from my body and I did not know what they were doing....just along for the ride (i.e. T-Rex arms KWIM?). And I did the forward-toe-pick-of-death but managed to safe myself from a face plant. It was pretty scary!!!

Loops: grrrrrrrr! That's all I have to say about them tonight!

coskater64
04-29-2009, 10:04 PM
Worked on Sr moves, first day, already knew them but got exact locations of edge change on long axis and locations of rockers on Sustained edge. Sprials will most likely be the death of me, luckily last 2 moves are tolerable. Not the worst of starts, but very sore.:twisted::twisted:

Rusty Blades
04-30-2009, 04:13 AM
Still skating but seldom posting .....

Working Hard: Working with 2 coaches is a KILLER! Tuesdays I have an hour practice and then 30 minutes with Coach #2. By the time lesson starts, we have the ice to ourselves so the sessions are pretty intense. By the time we are done, I crawl out of the rink! Thursdays are with Coach #1 working on program elements - not as intense but equally focused.

Mrs Redboots
04-30-2009, 06:27 AM
Hardly working: That swing dance: Easy but hard! Can't keep it straight where I'm to look AND the steps AND the hold AND the partnering. . .
Tell.Me.About.It.!!!!!

(Not yet back on the ice post-comp; will be either later today or tomorrow).

CanadianAdult
04-30-2009, 03:24 PM
It's the man's job to look, and hold you and make you look good. So just remember the steps :lol:

(although lately, I've been the man :P )

renatele
04-30-2009, 03:39 PM
Working hard:
endlessly drilling brackets from the adult gold/intermediate moves. And CW forward XOs (4 slooow - 4 fast - 4 slooow - 4 fast etc). Oh, and BI double-3s.

Hardly working:
couldn't practice the actual power circles, and had to abort other stuff a million times, as there were too many KIDS on our usually-quiet just-about-adult-only daytime publics this week! Apparently some schools nearby have a week off. If that's not enough, there are almost no FS sessions this week, too. Arrgh.

Isk8NYC: somehow I never understood 8-step's bad rep, either (well, I do understand it after bashing my head on that move, but it was a freak accident, not my usual problem with the 8-step). It was one of my best elements on juvenile MITF.

jazzpants
04-30-2009, 06:37 PM
Well, I should know better than to go back to skate... a small diddly for the day....

Hardly working:

I tried to make me do a short skate, my body says "No, no, no!!!"
Yes, I've got there, but when I got there, it's cold, cold, cold...
I ain't got the mind and my entire body's fried.
I tried to make me do a short skate, my body won't go, go, go...

Okay, enough of me trying to do parady here... :giveup:

Jumps were definitely not there. My sit spin won't even SPIN today (and you guys seen me do sit spin. Couldn't even go thru the sit spin entry even!!!

Now I know why Edward regularly tells his students to take one week break from skating (at least that's what he tells FrankR after a competition... :P ) Our regular Adult Gold Men guy also took a break this week too!!!

Everyone else at my rink has already come back and training for the next year. I sadly won't be 'til I get a job... :cry:

Isk8NYC
04-30-2009, 07:40 PM
(although lately, I've been the man :P )I've begun watching the NBC show "Chuck" because Scott Bakula's been in it for a few episodes. Now I'm hooked so I've been watching the first season online to catch up. There's a very funny Season 1 episode called "Chuck versus The Tango." In it, this nerdy lead lets his future brother-in-law teach him to tango so he'll be ready for a spy assignment. He gets there, meets this sexy international woman and she asks him to tango. They try to start, but he suddenly realizes "Uh...I think I only learned the GIRL'S part of this dance." His future BIL never thought to let him lead!

Working hard:
Isk8NYC: somehow I never understood 8-step's bad rep, either (well, I do understand it after bashing my head on that move, but it was a freak accident, not my usual problem with the 8-step). It was one of my best elements on juvenile MITF.I forgot about that fall. I'll be very careful.

I sadly won't be 'til I get a job... :cry:Holding out hope for you. My BIL just got two part-time jobs last month after looking for a very long time. My sister told us that she got laid off today. She was sort of expecting it (things were too quiet and she wasn't getting any new work), but they're in a financial crunch now.

Working hard:
Went over the skating program for my Basic Skills student again and again. Right at the end of the session, I let her practice the full program to music. She nailed it - a bit sloppy, but she was on time, she hit every element, even looked like she had fun. I'm really proud of her!

Hardly working:
BO 3's only work at high speeds. Why is that? Grrr.

I hate my skates.

RachelSk8er
04-30-2009, 07:45 PM
My post-AN break from skating lasted an entire 4 days. And the first day back wasn't all that bad.

Hardly working: Feet KILLING me in my fig skates from breaking in new roller skaters at derby practice last night

Working hard: Back to working on axels....did a few bell jumps. Going to hit these up on my lesson tomorrow. Luckily the fear of the takeoff that I worked so hard to break last fall didn't come back despite not working on them since December.

In looking at pics from AN, worked on a few things (bad habits) I need to break:

--Hunching my shoulders up on my sit spin...worked on not doing this and the spin was much better

--My R arm on my jumps. Coach worked on me bringing it in, but as evidenced from the chicken wing thing I had in some of my mid-air pics, it's coming in from the side and not from underneath. I think I'm also not fully jumping from the legs and trying instead to launch myself up with my arms/shoulders (which somewhat has to do with the arms not coming from underneath). Worked on fixing all of that and it made my flip and lutz do that thing where you pop way up and feel like you sort of hang for a second between finishing rotation and landing, so that was cool.

--Flying freakin stupid camel. Tried going into it from a normal spin wind up rather than a RFI 3, and that seems to help better. Also ignoring my coach's way he wants me to do it (a very flat RFI 3 heading straight down ice) and holding the edge of the 3 around and then going into it also works better.

--Listened to the new music (uncut) on the rink sound system. Me likey. Now to figure out a cut, because the more I listen to it, the more I think I'll need to switch the order of the 2 pieces I'm using. The one I wanted 2nd doesn't really have a good place to end it but has a better beginning.

Hardly working: Camel spins today. Just yuck.

RachelSk8er
04-30-2009, 07:58 PM
I guess this is technically from last week, but intercollegiate nationals was last weekend.

Working Hard: I got fourth in my event. You can see the video of it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOm0M_2yRrg. People said it was one of my best skates, but... I can see some flaws.

Working Harder: The team placed first!!!

Hardly Working: I haven't been on the ice since I got back from nationals. :giveup: Maybe I'll find the energy to go tomorrow morning.

Congrats! That's a really good program, you have really nice flow.

I miss those competitions, they were so fun (I won 3 medals and my school won way back at '01 nationals). I wish I could do them now but I'm only a part-time student (which is funny, because I take more credit hours as a law student than I did as a full-time grad student, yet I'm considered part-time).

Kim to the Max
05-01-2009, 01:25 PM
Working Hard:
Coach and I worked on axels and 2sals both on Monday and yesterday :) they are getting better. Worked on a new entrance for my axel so that I don't get my shoulders so far around which was an issue with just going at it from a back edge. I did land one on my toe!!

Worked on Junior moves as well...the goal right now is October (with coach trying to get me ready for August, knowing that I will hem and haw for 2 months thinking I'm not ready :roll:), however, she will be a little busy come the end of July/August with a new baby, so we will see how this works out!

Flying camels were working!!!

Hardly working:
2sal was not really working last night. I don't know why :(

I need to work on my layback/catch foot because I'm grabbing my heel and not the middle of my blade...

Somehow I agreed to try to test Juv freestyle this summer....don't ask me how that happened...it was a moment of weakness...

liz_on_ice
05-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Working hard - diligently practiced stuff my coach gave me, and worked on adding things into my program as ordered. Some changes are big improvements, some less so. I saw dbny who is looking like a shadow of her former self in just the few weeks since I've seen her last :bow:
Good jumpy music came on the radio and I just flowed with it doing waltz jumps in series. I felt like I was flying - wheeeeee!

Hardly working - I have to replace the camel spin in my show program with something from FS4 or below for the ISI comp coming up and it is breaking my heart. That camel-upgright combo just works perfectly with both the music and the "story" and nothing else is making me as happy. I'm seriously considering leaving it in and saying to heck with my score. :roll:

RachelSk8er
05-01-2009, 03:09 PM
Working Hard:
Coach and I worked on axels and 2sals both on Monday and yesterday :) they are getting better. Worked on a new entrance for my axel so that I don't get my shoulders so far around which was an issue with just going at it from a back edge. I did land one on my toe!!

Worked on Junior moves as well...the goal right now is October (with coach trying to get me ready for August, knowing that I will hem and haw for 2 months thinking I'm not ready :roll:), however, she will be a little busy come the end of July/August with a new baby, so we will see how this works out!

Flying camels were working!!!

Hardly working:
2sal was not really working last night. I don't know why :(

I need to work on my layback/catch foot because I'm grabbing my heel and not the middle of my blade...

Somehow I agreed to try to test Juv freestyle this summer....don't ask me how that happened...it was a moment of weakness...

Funny funny. 2 sal aside, your lesson sounds exactly like mine.

Worked on axels today, after not even attempting one since December they're up and fully rotated....fixed my backward edge into them (my L hip and shoulder were too high). Coach is trying to drill in the concept of getting up and then rotating, I'm starting rotation later but not quite as late as he'd like...it'll come. Just glad those haven't gone anywhere after not working on them while I focused on improving what I have for competition season.

Flying camels were awesome today (which means they will be crap tomorrow). He's now letting me curve the 3 around because he's not worried about me whipping my free hip around on the edge into it like I was when I first learned the spin. Turns out I was kerplunking down on my blade toward the inside edge, which would be why I couldn't get over my R hip and into the spin position. Something as silly as pointing my R toe when I kick out totally fixed that, and now not only do I have a nice edge going into it, the takeoff isn't cheated, AND I actually spin in position with decent speed. Too bad we couldn't have fixed this a week and a half ago and I might have nailed the spin and been a spot or two higher at ANs.

Worked on JR MIF during my lesson for the first time in at least a year, maybe more like a year and a half. Power circles good, just timing issues to work out. Rockers not bad, just need to work on getting the turns in the rockers on the short axis. Somehow the inside rockers have gotten better without working on them (spending so much time on body alignment on my dances and freestyle helped). I tried the diag patterns, they sucked, and we didn't get to them on my lesson (that will be next week) after I've had a chance to work on them a little.

Aiming to test moves in the fall, at which time I'll also test my pre-juv free (want to test pre-juv free now, it's not like I wouldn't pass, but don't want to take off work for testing when I'm only doing 1 test).

LilJen
05-01-2009, 04:06 PM
Working Hard: Actually did quite a bit of freestyle practice today, not my norm. inspired by another adult skater there doing lovely big lutzes & flips & spins. I don't think I like the toe loop. I started getting courageous and actually *thinking* about rotating a flip around a whole revolution. Which resulted in a half-flip plus a 3turn. Fwd spins getting a tiny bit more consistent.

Hardly working: Backspin goes around once and then I chicken out and put my foot down. Loop: inside 3 and hop is all I had the courage to do. Can't seem to keep a clean edge on the toeloop, either going in or out. It's just unsteady for some reason. I still don't "get" the swing dance, partly because the pattern I printed out has some of the end pattern cut off, but I need to have the pattern in front of my face and just go over it slowly, 'cause I'm very unclear on the end patterns.

Skate@Delaware
05-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Working Hard: tonight was the first night of group lessons for me....it was interesting. Sort of like high school where you do a certain class for a certain number of minutes (like 15-20) then move to another instructor.

Started with moves, we did spirals, then 3-turns. Then it was dance where we were introduced to the cha-cha. Followed by spins...and the instructor had us do two-foot spins. Someone forgot to tell her we can all do scratch and/or camels and/or change foots. We set her straight.

Ended with jumps. Had a nice young man have us do loops. From back crossovers (which my coach doesn't want me to do but hey, I'll go with the group). Nice guy but didn't offer any constructive advice.

It was fun skating with my old friends (all adult women). I hear some of the other ladies had dropped out. Shame.

Hardly Working: took my math final (for my online class) and I flunked it. I'm pretty torn up about it-think my errors were with rounding, cause I can DO the formulas. I re-take the test on Monday-not sure if it is the type where you re-take and can only get a 75 (passing) or if they allow a higher score........ I have another final on Tuesday.

Not having a good weekend, studying from the looks of it. :x

kander
05-01-2009, 11:26 PM
I had a strange night of skating last night. I'm so absorbed in my own skating that I didn't notice for 15 minutes there were a group of paramedics on the ice putting a lady on a stretcher (I think she broke her leg).

Isk8NYC
05-02-2009, 12:34 AM
So how was your skate? Does absorbed mean good or bad?

AgnesNitt
05-02-2009, 06:42 AM
Hardly Working
I had my skate technician majorly move my blades in to help with my pronation. So I'm having effectively to relearn a couple of things (checks coming out of three turns mostly)

Working Hard
For the first time since I started skating, the pain in my left hip has gone away!
So I can now sit back on the heel without being afraid the leg will collapse.
Unfortunately, it's such a radical adjustment I'm having to readjust my body positions (I was doing alot of things to work around that bad hip)
Cross fingers!.

RachelSk8er
05-02-2009, 02:27 PM
Working Hard: Flying camels awesome today! Did 8, 7 of which were not cheated and had at least 3 revs in position (best one made it to 6), even popped a few into a (really crappy) back sit.

Worked on axels for 10 min, the last few got up good before going around. I decided 10 min of axel work is my limit, I'm not beating myself up trying to get this like I did last summer and abandoning everything else.

Worked on jr MIF for about 30 min. Power circles good, rockers are decent. Ironically the diag patterns weren't bad today...like the rest of the test, those have gotten better by not working on them for over a year. Choctaws still need A LOT of work, but I'm finally starting to get the shoulder rotation that I was totally lacking before.

Lutzes good, flips good.

Got about 20 sec of the new program done, although I have yet to cut the music (some intro stuff which is still into the "playing around" stage, then a flying camel, then recycled synchro footwork heading diag down ice into a lutz loop), also figured out where I want a few other elements music-wise. In love with my new music, I really enjoy skating to it, it's fun, and I think it'll be good to showcase my strengths.

Really no complaints about today's practice! Amazing what getting enough sleep does to a person.

singerskates
05-03-2009, 02:05 AM
This is for Thursday and Friday

Thursday
Hardly Working:
Hardly got to warm up as my coach and I got on the ice at practically the same time.
Loop Jump is still slightly short on rotation and my freeleg still won't obey me. You can see, that if my freeleg would just stay off of the ice, I would get full credit for the jump even though it's slightly less than a rotation. Thing is until that lousy left leg stops crashing down just a millisecond, I won't get full credit on the loop. Same for the flip and Lutz. Just madning. :frus:

Haven't done a bunny hop since the last time I was PAing and Friday I just found out that it is on the Skate Canada Preliminary FS test (elements portion). I will have to get doing these again.

Corkscrew seems to travel for quite a few revs before it finally centers.

Working Hard:
Had improvements on the backspin finally. I'm no longer falling out as soon as I get in but I get a half rev on the back edge and then promptly change to the inside edge for 2 revs. Coach told me that it's really hard to do the change of edge. I told him for me it's easy to fall onto the inside edge. The good news here though is that after doing 2 revs on the inside edge during the backspin, I went back on the outside edge before getting out. But that's not going to get me the result I want for the prelim freeskate test at the end of spring skating school. Here's hoping that I can at least add 2 revs before changing edge on the backspin for my test.

Camel spin is so close to getting 2 revs I can taste it but I'd sure like to turn the spin faster than a crawl. So now I'm trying to speed up the rotation. Any tips?

Sitspin has had a little regretion in that I've been leaning too far forward on not bending my skating leg enough. Must work the core more. But at least I have enough rotation to pass; OK more than enough.

Waltz is so solid that I've been tacking on Loops on the end.

Salchow is 95 % good and I usually can tack on Toe Loops and Loops but I have to be carefull about waiting longer on the landing edge before taking off on the Loop.

Toe Loop + Toe Loop is a no brainer.

Corkscrew according to others has really improved but (see Hardly Working)
and I am finding that I'm generally doing at least 10 revs easily without trying too hard. When I do try, I can't count the revs. I figure this is a pass.

Coach says that my spirals are much stronger. I also got my RFI change edge to RFO spiral back. All it took was that ice dance fall on both hips 2 weeks ago, a chiropractic adjustment, time and now it's back. And who says ice dance falls are bad?

Backward stroking is getting stronger. Back crosscuts need to find a steady rhythme to please the judge for the test.

Coach had me working on connecting steps to use in my program. Mohawks, forward and backward threes, and 2 threes. Also had me try forward loops after seeing me do the back loops. Note: Coach gave me a tip for the back loops which is to keep my freeleg at the heel of the skating leg. Looks like I can do all the loops but I do find it hard to control stopping the looping action on the forward loops. But then I never really tried them before. The hardest loop for me is the forward right outside loop. At first I kept doing the forward right outside three until I slowed down the edge to concentrate staying on the outside edge without doing the three turn. Still have yet to apply these at speed though. Guess my coach wants my second mark to come up.

Worked on the Fiesta Tango and just about took my self out of action when I tripped myself with my own toe pick. I ended up laughing so hard that I bent over in laughter all the way to the other side of the rink. I normally don't have a problem with this dance anymore. I still have to get partnered though for the test.

Friday

No lesson. Just worked on my own.

Practically the same as Thursday except I practiced some of the steps for the Swing Dance that my coach wants me to work on. Need to work on getting my back swing rolls to be more edgier and curvier. Also took the pattern to the ice to start learning the steps in order as they come before getting another lesson on this dance. Only had one lesson so far. As it stands now, I've memorized the forward steps upto and including the open Mohawk. Next I have to memorize the backward steps and then work on edge quality. At this point I don't see me testing this dance for spring unless a maricle happens and it instantly clicks.

kander
05-03-2009, 02:28 AM
So how was your skate? Does absorbed mean good or bad?

The skate was so-so. I think being so absorbed is a good thing, but I think it makes me appear to be snooty to the general public (I've noticed that other figure skaters are pretty much into their own little world on the ice as well)

jazzpants
05-03-2009, 02:42 AM
The skate was so-so. I think being so absorbed is a good thing, but I think it makes me appear to be snooty to the general public (I've noticed that other figure skaters are pretty much into their own little world on the ice as well)
That's typical of what happens at FREESTYLE skaters! I'll bet if you go to a FREESTYLE session, you would be considered as NORMAL!!! :lol: :P

RachelSk8er
05-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Working hard: Started breaking down the diag patterns on jr today. Choctaws are somewhat miserable but there are positives. Back when I was working on the test a year or two ago, I could do the whole pattern but they were REALLY flat. Now I'm getting more of the proper shoulder rotation working and they actually have edges, I just lose speed halfway down the ice. It'll come though. The powerpull pattern just needs for me to work up speed and rhythm between the pulls and the turns again.

Rockers, both inside and outside, were better today.

Also got to work a bit on the new freestyle program until one of the adults on the session complained....my Sunday session is dance but we are generally allowed to run freestyle programs sans jumps as long as no one wants to play dance music and no one complains (since there are 4-6 dance teams on the session and they do their free dances...freestyle program w/no jumps isn't any different). Choreography is coming really easily. Can't get much further until I get the real CD in (ordered it today) and can get some cuts to work with since downloads are .mp4 and my software won't work with those. Boo.

Ran into a local gold freestyle skater, looks like I might skate up in gold at some local comps so that at the very least, we'll both have an event to compete, and maybe we can even talk the referee into letting us use IJS if we pay the IJS registration fee, since they have the people and equipment there anyway. Either way, and especially if we get IJS, it'll be a god experience and in terms of our skating, it's a good match up (she doesn't have doubles and I think she even took her axel out this year because it wasn't consistent any more).

Mrs Redboots
05-03-2009, 12:14 PM
Hardly working: Most things; I woke up not feeling great (sinusses reacting to bad hay-fever this year), and there had been a foam party on the ice the night before. So you can imagine what (a) my skating and (b) the ice was like! Ah well.... happens. Good some good feedback, though.

Working hard: Most of the photos of us from Bracknell (which are finally up) are dire, me looking at my feet, and looking most uncomfortable in the lift, and so on, but there is one utterly glorious one where we are totally together and looking up!

SkatEn
05-03-2009, 12:18 PM
April 30
Funny how all my entries are late.
Working hard:
-Newly sharpened blades need some adjustment period for spins
-learned back3-bracket. I like it. I love it.
-Skated fast during empty ice. I love the feeling but quickly ran out of energy.

Working harder:
-Why is it that my flip was so nice the previous skate, with weight transferred and all but I just kept falling during lesson!??!?!

Hardly working:
-Could hardly spin in backsit.

Happy skating everyone!

phoenix
05-03-2009, 04:35 PM
First day back on the ice since Nationals. And only skated a 1/2 hour on a public session, so just played & had fun.

I brought the diagram for the new senior MIF step sequence to try & learn the steps, just for fun. It's not rocket science, & I can walk through it reasonably well. Except there are a LOT of rockers & counters, & I always get them mixed up, which is which, esp. going backward for some reason. So I don't have it truly memorized yet; mainly the second half. It's fun though!

I don't know that I ever plan to test MIF above Int. or maybe the new Novice, but I do think I should learn all the exercises, so I could coach them all the way through. There's a difference between being able to teach and demonstrate, and being able to skate it w/ the power & quickness needed to pass the test.

kander
05-03-2009, 10:41 PM
and there had been a foam party on the ice the night before.

Foam party? I picture a rink full of foam.

Kevin

Mrs Redboots
05-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Foam party? I picture a rink full of foam.

KevinJudging by what was on the floor at the entrance to the ice, that's exactly what there was.