View Full Version : Show the Masculinity through Music

Seashell
04-19-2009, 05:37 AM
My 11 year old son enjoys his skating, but hides the fact from school mates that he is a figure skater.

He is a tough and tumble little guy who would like to do a 2 1/2 minute solo to some kind of music (maybe rock) that would emphasize to his friends that figure skating for boys can mean "power", "strength", "speed" and "risk".

Does anyone have any ideas for music that would "show the masculinity side" through his figure skating.....and as he says, nothing to cutesy or babyish?

Thanks for any ideas!

MQSeries
04-19-2009, 09:26 AM
theme from the film "Speed" would be perfect for your boy.

You can also try theme from the following films:
"Broken Arrow"
anything from the Star Wars films.

jp1andOnly
04-19-2009, 11:15 AM
depending on musical tastes..you can get some rock music with no words. My brother did november rain way back when. Any action film usually has powerful music. I also like music from the last action hero, robin hood prince of thiefs, terminator, matrix

Kim to the Max
04-19-2009, 11:23 AM
Santana has some really cool pieces as well...

RachelSk8er
04-19-2009, 03:31 PM
For instrumental music, pretty much any action or superhero film soundtrack. You can get enough instrumental out of techno too (it's mostly instrumental anyway and easy to cut out the lyrics that pop up). One little boy at my rink skates to techno for his program and does "the robot" in the middle of the ice, it's adorable (he's about 5 yrs old so still young enough to be adorable). Bond has a good instrumental version of Kashmir on one of their albums, but see my point below.

If it's more of a show program and you can use lyrics, I'd try to stick with rock that is popular today if he's trying to appeal to his friends (most young kids don't listen to 80s-early 90s rock...as great as that music always is for skating). I can't really offer many suggestions as far as that goes, though...I pretty much stick to listening to my iPod and am not down with what's cool now.