View Full Version : NHL "ice girl"

niupartyangel
04-19-2009, 12:08 AM
Was checking out the newsfeed of Facebook and saw that one of my acquaintances -- not really a close friend (we were in the same club in college and i'm friends with her ex boyfriend), is planning to audition to be part of the Chicago Blackhawks Ice Crew. I haven't been to an NHL game so I thought they perform routines but my hubby told me (who has gone to a few games) said they really just shovel the snow off the ice between plays and then try to pump the audience up. My hubby has joked that I should also audition--but I'm not too fond of the idea of skating around with a shovel! plus they make you wear hockey skates during the games, so that'll be something to get used to. Anyone ever thought of being an NHL ice girl?

Even if I wanted to, the hours definitely would infringe on my lessons/practice time-- they require you to be able to work AT LEAST 25 of the games, and to be there 2 hours before kickoff (hmm what is the hockey equivalent of kickoff?). Not to mention numerous office fundraisers/charity events throughout the year. So it's definitely a big commitment, and they only pay the girls $50 a game :??

jazzpants
04-19-2009, 12:51 AM
From what I've seen at a NY Islander's game, the "ice girls" don't have to wear hockey skates. In fact, all of them wear figure skates. However, they do have to wear these cheeleader type outfits. They shovel snow and clean around the goals in between plays and stuff.

I dunno :?? ... to me, I don't think too much of the work. You will be in proximity of those hockey guys though, so if you wanna date an NHL guy... :P Otherwise, for the amount of money and hassle factor... meh... I'm not much into being oogled at... :roll:

katz in boots
04-19-2009, 03:20 AM
hmm what is the hockey equivalent of kickoff?

That would be a face-off

Clarice
04-19-2009, 04:49 AM
My daughter did this for our local hockey team (definitely not NHL, but it was a feeder to a major team). She didn't have to wear a cheerleader-type outfit - it was leggings and a jersey - and she wore her figure skates. They did ice maintenance between periods and helped with promotions, like throwing t-shirts into the stands. They could leave when the last period started. Last year they got paid per game, but this year they were "paid" with perks like free tanning and free massages. Not worth it, if you ask me. Oh - and they were not allowed to date the players (but she did...). Last year she did get to do a figure skating exhbition at one game, but not this year. The skating skills necessary for the job are minimal - basically, just the ability to skate around in circles without falling down. Our team had a separate "spirit squad" this year that did wear cheerleader-type outfits, but they didn't skate at all - it was a strictly off-ice kind of thing.

sk8lady
04-19-2009, 06:27 AM
We saw the Nashville Predators' "Ice Girls" when we went to a couple of games last year when on vacation. One of them wore hockey skates and the other wore figure skates. They wore tight black pants and I think t-shirts and had perfect figures! The girl in figure skates did little bits and pieces of a routine and some spins once they had finished doing the ice--I think they had brooms, mostly for clearing out the crease or pushing the excess water off, I think. It was a little bit sad because they were both excellent skaters and all they were doing was cleaning up after the guys. On the other hand, it did look like it would be a lot of fun if you were a figure skater who was into hockey at all. If you had no interest in hockey I would think it would be miserable!

Stormy
04-19-2009, 07:30 AM
I auditioned for the Boston Bruins Ice Girls just for kicks. I didn't make it, probably because my boobs aren't big enough but it was a fun process. :)

niupartyangel
04-19-2009, 10:05 AM
I checked out the Blackhawks' site and there was a short clip of their Ice Girls' audition, and the former figure skaters made comments that as their Ice Girls they would all be required to wear hockey skates instead of figure skates, so i guess that part sucks. But for the audition they can be in either type of skates. So i guess if they can't wear figure skates on the job then they are definitely not expected to do more aside from clean up after the guys and then skate around to pump the audience up.

oh and i agree about the figure thing...all their uniforms consist of bare belly halter or sports bra type tops! lol me and my pooch will not make the cut for sure :lol:

techskater
04-19-2009, 02:34 PM
I've been to a Blackhawks game recently and only one of the 5-6 ice girls actually wore hockey skates, the others wore figure skates.

alliegator66
04-19-2009, 03:36 PM
I was one for a year in Atlanta. I was lucky because we just wore matching tracksuits, and a year later all the girls were in way skimpy outfits! You were sorta required to maintain a good figure, though.
It was fun, and in my case, I did just go out and do the shovel or squeegee (sp?) and you help with moving nets and stuff. Some are required to dance. I wore figure skates. I was only also paid about $50 a game and because I lived far away from my arena, it really wasn't 100% worth it. You do deal with a lot of different people and situations and I found the public, arena workers and players and coaches to all be corteous. I was uncomfortable to stand in skates for up to 4 hours, though.
But like I said, it was fun and I would do it again for just a year.
Good luck choosing what you want to do about it :)

niupartyangel
04-22-2009, 09:18 PM
:) No interest, it just piqued my curiousity when that girl I knew posted that she was planning to try out. So I just wanted to see what was skating skills were required and what was expected of you once you got the job.

I also live too far from the arena to make it worthwhile anyway, plus having a regular full time job makes it harder, especially if they expect you to come to the arena 2 hours before game time.

RoaringSkates
04-26-2009, 08:15 PM
I auditioned for the Boston Bruins Ice Girls just for kicks. I didn't make it, probably because my boobs aren't big enough but it was a fun process. :)

My boobs are big enough, but then again, so is the rest of me, so... But otherwise, for the Bruins? For the Bruins, I might do it. ;)