View Full Version : Skater's personal website

ladyfigureskate
04-17-2009, 07:46 PM
Hi everyone, if you have personal website, please share,...

katz in boots
04-18-2009, 03:25 AM
Personally I would strongly recommend that younger skaters NOT post their website or other personal details.

Stormy
04-18-2009, 07:20 AM
Agreed. You cannot be too careful online.

sk8lady
04-18-2009, 07:34 AM
Ladyfigureskate, aside from being an adult skater and coach, I am also an attorney specializing in child advocacy law.

Generally, online safety for children has become a HUGE topic in the last few years. If you post personal information online, it becomes very easy for all kinds of people to gain access to you--which is why I don't allow my own young son to post his personal information ANYWHERE online.

If you and your parents feel it is important for you to have your own website, in order to circulate your name and make it easier for others to donate to your training, most legal advisers would probably suggest that you NOT post any information that would give unsavory types easy access to you, such as naming your school or the rinks you skate at and including a links directing people to these places--that makes it WAY too easy for someone unsuitable or, worse, dangerous, to come looking for you, knowing your name and exactly what you look like.

It might also be a good idea to remove your age from your website.

You look like a wonderful young lady with a lot of talent (and great edges!). PLEASE keep yourself safe!!