View Full Version : Basic Skills Competition Video

Isk8NYC
04-17-2009, 09:43 AM
I was looking at YouTube videos to see how other people choreographed the mini-footwork elements in Basic Skills.
(Specifically, the "back crossovers to landing position" in Basic 7.)

I found this video that must have been a labor of love on the part of the parents. The time spent putting together this "day at the competition" must have been incredible. What a gift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7xcvB3MmwI&feature=related

My favorite part is the after-competition trip to the restaurant while the girl's still in her dress.
I always do that with my kids. I even let them show off their medals.

isakswings
04-19-2009, 02:20 AM
I've seen that video! It's cute. I love the part of her getting ready! Make-up and hair... yup BTDT and I prefer when dd's coach decides to help with that! My poor daughter got stuck with a mom who isn't great at doing hair OR make-up on other people! We've also gone out to eat at a resturaunt w/ dd in her dress. :)

Mrs Redboots
04-19-2009, 11:32 AM
But oh, what a pity they had to have the presentations off-ice - I suppose they must have run out of time. It is never the same off-ice.

TreSk8sAZ
04-19-2009, 02:07 PM
But oh, what a pity they had to have the presentations off-ice - I suppose they must have run out of time. It is never the same off-ice.

Actually in most US competitions the presentations are off ice. Really only national or international competitions and the rare non qualifying comps do. I have never had a presentation on ice even at ANs.

Skittl1321
04-19-2009, 06:05 PM
Actually in most US competitions the presentations are off ice. Really only national or international competitions and the rare non qualifying comps do. I have never had a presentation on ice even at ANs.

We had on ice presentations this year (and last year) at ISI synchro "nationals". We thought it would be much less expensive, and shorter, if they had done it off ice. I don't really get the need for on ice presentation... at senior nationals, it make sense because the crowd will want to watch.

isakswings
04-19-2009, 10:39 PM

Yup... my daughter has always recieved hers off ice. :)

amcnulty
04-19-2009, 11:52 PM
We had on ice presentations this year (and last year) at ISI synchro "nationals". We thought it would be much less expensive, and shorter, if they had done it off ice. I don't really get the need for on ice presentation... at senior nationals, it make sense because the crowd will want to watch.

Every ISI synchro competition my daughter has done, except one, has had on-ice awards even if they are skating against the book. I don't know why they do it that way, because all the individual events at the same competition are off-ice awards.

Did you have a good time at nationals? My daughter skates for the host team.

Mrs Redboots
04-20-2009, 03:52 AM

Really? Here, they are almost always on-ice, unless the competition has run late and the ice-time has expired. Off-ice is considered very second-best!

katz in boots
04-20-2009, 04:09 AM
I wish our presentations were off-ice !
It's hard to stand still while people make endless speeches and all the presentations are made. The smaller kids just can't stand still that long in skates, so they fidget around. My feet hurt and then go numb, I can't wait to get off the ice and out of my skates afterwards.

Isk8NYC
04-20-2009, 07:12 AM
I always like the off-ice awards. I can't remember any on-ice awards ceremonies for the ISI or Basic Skills comps. It's always done off-ice for the benefit of those looking for a photo opportunity. (At some comps, they even hire a professional photographer to snap that photo.)

I used to give out the awards at my old rink during the Basic Skills comps. I *loved* it - I felt like a barker in the carnival and I would cajole the disappointed sulkers into smiling for the birdie. I also tried to make everyone feel good about themselves, regardless of how they placed.

Skittl1321
04-20-2009, 08:21 AM
Every ISI synchro competition my daughter has done, except one, has had on-ice awards even if they are skating against the book. I don't know why they do it that way, because all the individual events at the same competition are off-ice awards.

Did you have a good time at nationals? My daughter skates for the host team.

Our local ISI competition was off ice awards.

We had a fantastic time at nationals. The traffic patterns of the rink were a bit crowded, but everything was great. Lovely rink, polite people, great skating! Glad the weather held out so we could do off ice outside!

Mrs Redboots
04-21-2009, 03:30 PM
I always like the off-ice awards. I can't remember any on-ice awards ceremonies for the ISI or Basic Skills comps. It's always done off-ice for the benefit of those looking for a photo opportunity. (At some comps, they even hire a professional photographer to snap that photo.)

We still get photographed - the photographer walks out on to the "red carpet" that the presentation party uses. I have some lovely podium shots of us from various competitions, including the Mountain Cup!

fsk8r
04-22-2009, 03:05 AM
We still get photographed - the photographer walks out on to the "red carpet" that the presentation party uses. I have some lovely podium shots of us from various competitions, including the Mountain Cup!

Yes much prefer the on ice presentation. The synchro team had so much fun at the British adults being photographed on ice. We felt most disappointed with the off-ice one that they did for the adults at the synchro championships. We felt like we were missing out on the party.
It's all about the fun of trying to clamber onto a box in skates and then back off again on to the ice, without killing yourself. There's definitely a technique to it and I'll have to start getting a few more medals to work it out!