View Full Version : Skating pants

niupartyangel
04-13-2009, 10:13 PM
Does anyone know of cheaper alternatives to the Underarmour coldgear pants/leggings? I really like mine but at $50 a pop I can't afford to buy another pair. I really like how it fits and the moisture wicking/heat trapping material. I heard the C9 Champion line from Target makes a similar pant...haven't checked out my local Target but has anyone tried those?

I had my underarmour in the wash last weekend, so I was forced to wear one of the sweatpants I used to wear in LTS...it was Victoria's Secret but not one of those that scrunch up the knees, but are loose around the bottom. Had a nasty experience when attempting a loop 8O

flo
04-13-2009, 10:28 PM
The Target champion brand tops are pretty nice. I've not tried the bottoms. However my favorite skating leggings are from Target. The Circo brand in the little girls department. I get an xl and they''re great. They are warm, although in the winter I wear tights under them, and at $6 a pair, very affordable. They have seasonal patterns as well, but I have several pairs of black.

blue111moon
04-14-2009, 08:25 AM
I buy my Underarmor pants as TJ Maxx for less than $20. Sometimes the colors are odd but since I wear them under a pair of New Balance runner's pants, the color doesn't matter.

Since it's the end of the winter runner season, now's a good time to scout out the clearance racks at sporting goods stores for sales.

flo
04-14-2009, 08:27 AM
Great idea. I love that store.

dbny
04-14-2009, 02:07 PM
I live in Moret pants for $15 from Modells.

PinkLaces
04-15-2009, 10:23 PM
I mostly wear the Champion brand for Target. I have some of the yoga pants and some others. I like that they carry tall sizes. For awhile they were carrying pants with the different fits. I got a pair in each fit. The relaxed fit were too loose and I caught my blade in my pants doing a backspin.

SkatEn
04-16-2009, 06:42 AM
Does anyone know where to get cheaper underarmour/related leggings? I'm not from the states so any online store will be helpful!

I was looking at rinkratz leggings. The fabric content seems to contain too much cotton for the typical skating pants.

I got some running tights from the ebay; bad idea. It's zippered at the bottom, which is fine. The issue is that the ankle's seam isn't sewn to be elastic! :giveup:

niupartyangel
04-16-2009, 08:15 PM
Thanks everyone. Looks like Target and TJ Maxx are worth a visit :)

I have a yoga practicing, non skating friend who swears by Lululemon pants. Some girls at the rink wear them too. I went to try them out the other day (just for the heck of it) and they ARE nice and comfy and very flattering. Although for skating, even if I were willing to shell the cash, I don't think I like the flare around it...i guess the hem's supposed to fit over your sneakers, but I would be worried fitting the hem over my skate boots, because the toe pick might rip it up, and I don't wanna ruin $90 pants that way, lol 8O maybe some Lulu fans here would comment on that.

SkateEn, I also tried googling "Underarmour pants sale" and they are always retail price everywhere. However I did discover the Outlet section of their official site. last time I was there a few weeks ago, they had the Coldgear pants marked down a bit...it was navy blue or something. The coldgear turtleneck that I like for skating is also on sale, I think from $50 - $34. There's a variety of colors for that too. Hope this helps.

sk8tmum
04-16-2009, 08:38 PM
I have a yoga practicing, non skating friend who swears by Lululemon pants. Some girls at the rink wear them too. I went to try them out the other day (just for the heck of it) and they ARE nice and comfy and very flattering. Although for skating, even if I were willing to shell the cash, I don't think I like the flare around it...i guess the hem's supposed to fit over your sneakers, but I would be worried fitting the hem over my skate boots, because the toe pick might rip it up, and I don't wanna ruin $90 pants that way, lol 8O maybe some Lulu fans here would comment on that.

LuLu is the attire of choice at our rink; about 85% of the skaters wear them, from about age 6 on upwards; it's very much a status thing, I must say. The kids want them because the serious/competitive team skaters ALL wear them.

LuLu has a range of yoga pants, not sure which ones you were looking at exactly - ? The yoga ones are worn, the ones I've seen don't flare too much, just around the ankle, and it actually looks neat. Some coaches do discourage them, though, as there is always the risk of the skate getting caught as you mentioned. HOWEVER: the tight fitting leggings are more common, particularly the capri length; the tiny short shorts are worn by quite a few girls. The girls will get the pants with the colour "band" around the top and then match them to jackets or workout tanks for a coordinated look.

Anyways, they do wear well; because LuLu is also a "street/casual" label the skaters wear them as streetclothes as well as skating clothes, and it's a common label in the entire fitness area where we are (we live in and around Toronto). Some of the clubs are getting LuLu jackets as team jackets, and the coordinating pants to match.

Watch for sales ... they do have them ... sometimes :) I've picked up $90 leggings for DS for $45 ...

sk8ergalgal
04-16-2009, 09:53 PM
I live and swear by Lululemon. Sk8tmum has made very good points about their clothing. They have a new website now that allows for you to order online but they are not cheap. Although my club has ordered team jackets from them and gotten a deal on them (25$ off).

SkatEn
04-17-2009, 01:43 AM
SkateEn, I also tried googling "Underarmour pants sale" and they are always retail price everywhere. However I did discover the Outlet section of their official site. last time I was there a few weeks ago, they had the Coldgear pants marked down a bit...it was navy blue or something. The coldgear turtleneck that I like for skating is also on sale, I think from $50 - $34. There's a variety of colors for that too. Hope this helps.

Thanks! I see many international skaters donning UA and Nike pants and tops. Even though they are most likely sponsored by the brand, it looks great on them!

Everything skating rings of $$$ haha.:mrgreen:

flo
04-19-2009, 10:48 PM
They are made here in Baltimore and today I went to the factory store and picked up a couple of things. I have to go back and I'll check the price of the leggings.

liz_on_ice
04-20-2009, 10:15 AM
I mostly wear the Champion brand for Target. I have some of the yoga pants and some others. I like that they carry tall sizes. For awhile they were carrying pants with the different fits. I got a pair in each fit. The relaxed fit were too loose and I caught my blade in my pants doing a backspin.

I have some nice cotton velvet tracksuits (pants and jacket set) that were inexpensive, and some cotton yoga pants for summer. After my first backspin misadventure I whipped out my serger and narrowed the legs on all of them.

airyfairy76
04-22-2009, 05:36 AM
Heehee - my absolute favourite thing to skate in are soft ribbed leggings from Primark in the UK!! I had one pair that fell to bits after months of continuous wearing, and was delighted to see them back in the store last week, where I stocked up!

They are very soft and stretchy with a fine ribbing, don't EVER go baggy at the knee, are long enough to pull down over the heel of my skate . . . and the best bit? £4 a pair!!!!

jp1andOnly
04-22-2009, 08:44 AM
i wear lululemon stuff. Its very durable, which you would expect for the price. Now, I'm not going to lie...I have picked my pants several times. My first pair was a tad too long, so when I bought my next pair I took them in to be shortened. They are long enough so when I wear them out they dont look like I'm wading in water yet short enough I don't catch them with my blade.

I used to get cheap pants at zellers or walmart, but I picked through them more often and I was going through multiple pairs a year because they just didnt last (stretch and shape)

Skittl1321
04-22-2009, 03:09 PM
In the winter I wear underarmour coldgear tights. Without fail, I put a toe pick hole into them the first day. :( Oh well, they still work.

In the summer I wear kid's Circo brand leggings from Target. $5 a pair. And THOSE I've only managed to rip one. Go figure.

SkatEn
04-23-2009, 10:32 AM
Which pants do you think is more worth it? Under Armour or ChloeNoel?

Can you help in rating based on:
-How well they dry
-How warm they keep you
-Durability
-Workmanship

Thanks.

I got USA Pro pants from eBay. Not really a known brand like Nike, or Adidas. First mistake.:frus: There's a zipper at the ankle. Second mistake.:frus: I didn't even know what the fabric is like. Third mistake.:frus:

The tights can be barely pulled over the top of the skate. Because that it's with zipper, I can't tuck it in either. The zipper pull will rub a hole in my ankle. There are a lot of fur along the seams being made from falling and rubbing against the ice. It looks terrible.

I've decided to get pants that are tried and tested by fellow skaters, never mind the price tag. Okay I mind, but no choice.
Penny smart and pound foolish, you know.

AgnesNitt
04-23-2009, 03:55 PM
In the winter I wear underarmour coldgear tights. Without fail, I put a toe pick hole into them the first day. :( Oh well, they still work.

I once bought expensive leggings to skate in. Fit perfectly. The first day I wore them I slipped on the ice on my brick sidewalk 8O and tore a small hole in the butt that apparently expanded while I skated.
I was skating for an hour before someone told me.:oops:
Important life lesson--always wear undies to match your leggings.:o

niupartyangel
04-23-2009, 09:32 PM
I once bought expensive leggings to skate in. Fit perfectly. The first day I wore them I slipped on the ice on my brick sidewalk 8O and tore a small hole in the butt that apparently expanded while I skated.

isn't experience a harsh teacher! 8-)

anyway i got a pair of lululemon pants from my hubby as a 1st anniversary gift over the weekend. i haven't had the chance to try it out for skating yet but i did try it at the gym and boy, are they comfy. They look great too! i could live in them all weekend :) However I am hesitant about tripping because they still have the slight flare, although the tag said it can be worn over your sneakers, so i'm assuming it can be worn over your skate boot. Anyone tried this? i don't want it catching on toe pick, knowing the price tag 8O

and has anyone tried the se_ku pants? They seem more fitted and more appropriate for skating than the lulu, with a similar price tag. are the also comfy to wear off ice?

TreSk8sAZ
04-23-2009, 11:33 PM
and has anyone tried the se_ku pants? They seem more fitted and more appropriate for skating than the lulu, with a similar price tag. are the also comfy to wear off ice?

I LOVE my se_ku pants! They're extremely comfortable, and are made to go over the heel of your skate so they do not get caught on anything. They are fitted, but they stretch so much that they're extremely comfortable. They keep their shape very well even after many washings and wearings.

sk8lady
04-24-2009, 07:20 AM

Sad to say, I have done this to 2 out of 3 of my lulu pants (the 3rd pair has a wide leg so I only wear them if I'm exclusively doing MIF during a practice, or wearing hockey skates, which they happen to match perfectly!). They do make a "fit pant" which has only a tiny flare, but when I went to get a new pair a couple of days ago, they were GONE!! They're not stocking them right now for some reason.

I also have a pair of Se_ku leggings I wear sometimes when I am in a thin stage. Unfortunately they are WAY too long and I have to fold the leg over very carefully so they don't bunch up. I talked to the owner at AN last year and she offered to make a shorter pair if I wanted. They also pill if you wash them in the washing machine--you're supposed to wash them by hand. Other than that they're fabulous--they pull over the boot so they help keep my feet a little warmer and they actually make my giant butt look marginally smaller!

sk8tmum
04-24-2009, 07:49 AM
DD's LuLu pants are fitted leggings. Absolutely no problems with picks catching. They're designed to be full length, she pushes them up ... same benefit re: backside appearance as the regular yoga pants.

ibreakhearts66
04-24-2009, 08:41 AM

I'm wearing se_ku pants right now while in a hospital bed. I seriously live in mine. I wear them with boots all of the time when I'm just going out with friends to study or whatever. I've had them for a year and skate in them just about every day and they are only just starting to tear at the bottom.

Basically, I absolutely adore them. I'm 5'7 and 120 pounds and the AM fits almoss perfectly. They are maybe a little bit baggy around the knees, but other than that they're the right size and length.

Several skaters I know also wear pants by Laguna Icewear, available through ebay by seller ChloeNoel. Most of the older skaters wear these (http://www.amazon.com/Skating-Stretch-Polyester-Spandex-Reversible/dp/B001UCDFXG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1240580257&sr=8-2), while the younger skaters often wear these (http://www.amazon.com/Skating-Stretch-Polyester-Spandex-Spiral/dp/B001LOTVEK/ref=pd_sbs_a_1). The ones that just have a stripe down the side, at the top of the waist and at the bottom of the pants seem nice too, and they're only $53.

dbny
04-24-2009, 07:48 PM

The first time I found a hole in my black leggings I got a black marker from the office, went in the ladies room and colored my beige tights. After that I started wearing black tights!

cherylk
04-24-2009, 09:59 PM
I've been looking at "over the boot" leggings for hours.. Do these leggings (Chloe Noel or Seku etc) flare out a little at the ankle, or are they cut straight down? I know they make them longer to fit over the boot, but I can't find a single picture of these kinds of leggings NOT over a boot. If anyone has a link to these kinds of leggings that aren't on a person, I would love to see it.

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

niupartyangel
04-27-2009, 06:18 AM
I was also wondering if anyone has an opinion on what se-Ku pants are better...the "long and leggy" leggings or the over the boot! looking at the pics i think they look just about alike :P

RachelSk8er
04-27-2009, 07:34 AM
I have friends who were on Canadian synchro teams and they all swear by LuLu (the teams all wear that stuff).

I'd rather shell out money on competitions and competition dresses, so I raid the athletic apparel section at Target for practice clothes. I have some pants, fitted capris (worn over tights), and a few cute tennis skirts that I practice in. I despise Wal-Mart but when I've actually sucked it up and gone in there, I've actually found some gotten some long sleeve fitted tees and a nice Danskin zip-up. The stuff is really inexpensive.

Audryb
04-27-2009, 08:00 AM
I've been looking at "over the boot" leggings for hours.. Do these leggings (Chloe Noel or Seku etc) flare out a little at the ankle, or are they cut straight down? I know they make them longer to fit over the boot, but I can't find a single picture of these kinds of leggings NOT over a boot. If anyone has a link to these kinds of leggings that aren't on a person, I would love to see it.

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

The ChloeNoel ones flare out at the bottom but just a little, not like yoga pants or flare cut pants. They're very stretchy.

SkatEn
04-27-2009, 09:13 AM
I'd rather shell out money on competitions and competition dresses, so I raid the athletic apparel section at Target for practice clothes. I have some pants, fitted capris (worn over tights), and a few cute tennis skirts that I practice in. I despise Wal-Mart but when I've actually sucked it up and gone in there, I've actually found some gotten some long sleeve fitted tees and a nice Danskin zip-up. The stuff is really inexpensive.

I so agree with the part on spending money on where it counts. I'd rather spend on lesson but I want to look nice AND NOT TRIP OVER MY PANTS too. :o I wish there are pants that are cheap like wal-mart, but nope, no chance here.

Just won an auction in ebay for UA leggings. They will fit over the top of the skate right? I got it one size larger just in case...

Pst. Lululemon hasn't made it here. So I'm rather curious why yoga-ish apparel can be so popular...

icechica88
04-28-2009, 09:01 PM
The underarmour frosty tights will fit over the top of the skate, although it may not seem like it when you go to do this the first time. I have worn UA pants to skate in for years and they hold up very well.

LWalsh
04-29-2009, 07:28 AM
I just got an email that Seku has 30% off their pants and leggings :)

TreSk8sAZ
04-30-2009, 06:33 PM

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

The se_ku long and leggy pants are cut straight across, but are made to fit snugly over the heel of the boot, hence they are longer than normal and you order by size and height. I don't have a picture right now, but I can take a pic of the ones I have later, if you need it.

I was also wondering if anyone has an opinion on what se-Ku pants are better...the "long and leggy" leggings or the over the boot! looking at the pics i think they look just about alike :P
The differences between the long and leggy and the over the boot are 1) the over the boot are cotton and not microfiber and 2) they have a slight flare which allows them to sit on the boot but they are not made to snugly fit over the heel of the boot like the long and leggy. I personally prefer the long and leggy.

And I definitely got some! If you're going to, order early because they don't have all the colors in all the sizes and you'll get a better choice if you order sooner rather than later!! I put down my second/third/fourth choices for color and got what I wanted easily! :bow:

ibreakhearts66
04-30-2009, 10:39 PM

Is there a code for this? I went on the website and only saw 50% off dresses. Am I missing something, or am I just too late?

cherylk
05-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Thanks AudryB and TreSk8sAZ! I was wondering how similar those two leggings (Chloe Noel and Se-ku) were off of a skater. Now I'm just wondering why one is slightly flared and why one isn't. I wonder which is better?

Anyway, thanks for the replies! Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I just got back from vacation.

Audryb
05-06-2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks AudryB and TreSk8sAZ! I was wondering how similar those two leggings (Chloe Noel and Se-ku) were off of a skater. Now I'm just wondering why one is slightly flared and why one isn't. I wonder which is better?

Anyway, thanks for the replies! Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I just got back from vacation.

I meant to take a picture of the pants on me without the skate... they're only SLIGHTLY larger at the bottom, hardly even call it a flare. It's hard to describe but they come down snug around the ankle and then they're not snug below that, but not really flared out either. I won't get home till late tonight, but I'll put em on and take a pic in the morning if you want :)

Stormy
05-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Is there a code for this? I went on the website and only saw 50% off dresses. Am I missing something, or am I just too late?

Fling09 I believe is the code for 30% off pants. I really want to try the pants, but that still seems like too much money for skating pants.

Kat12
05-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Bit OT, but still pants: I was planning on wearing my (cotton?/Lycra) yoga pants for my (very very beginner) skating...will I freeze if that's all I wear? Should I put my (thigh-high) legwarmers underneath? LOL or should I shut up and go to the rink and find out myself. Are "skating pants" of similar material, I guess is what I'm wondering, or are they made warmer than that?

Clarice
05-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Bit OT, but still pants: I was planning on wearing my (cotton?/Lycra) yoga pants for my (very very beginner) skating...will I freeze if that's all I wear? Should I put my (thigh-high) legwarmers underneath? LOL or should I shut up and go to the rink and find out myself. Are "skating pants" of similar material, I guess is what I'm wondering, or are they made warmer than that?

I always wear tights under pants. I'm generally too cold if I don't. Some of my pants are cotton/lycra, others are microfiber - I wear tights under all of them.

Kat12
05-06-2009, 07:43 PM
That was the other thing I was going to ask, in lieu of legwarmers. Skate tights, I assume, and not regular ones (which I keep hearing people insist keep you warm and SO don't, lol).

cherylk
05-06-2009, 07:43 PM
Thanks Audry, that would be awesome! No rush, whenever you get the time. I'm still having trouble picturing it!

Thanks again :)

fsk8r
05-07-2009, 02:08 AM
That was the other thing I was going to ask, in lieu of legwarmers. Skate tights, I assume, and not regular ones (which I keep hearing people insist keep you warm and SO don't, lol).

If I'm in pants I wear normal 70 denier (winter) tights underneath. No point wearing the skating tights which cost a fortune when I can wear the cheaper ones. If they're under pants no one can see I'm in black anyway (and there seems to be a fashion trend to black tights anyway). Once the rink is nice and warm in summer I might risk just knee highs and pants but it needs to be t-shirt weather inside the rink before I do that.

Audryb
05-07-2009, 07:56 AM
Thanks Audry, that would be awesome! No rush, whenever you get the time. I'm still having trouble picturing it!

Thanks again :)

ok, I took a picture this morning. The pants are a bit long on me (they bunch up a bit when I pull them over my skate also) but you can see how they just get a bit wider at the bottom, unlike a typical pair of leggings that would taper right down to the bottom.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/823800/IMG_9008.JPG

Skate@Delaware
05-07-2009, 08:06 AM
The underarmour frosty tights will fit over the top of the skate, although it may not seem like it when you go to do this the first time. I have worn UA pants to skate in for years and they hold up very well.

I've had my UA for about 5 years-bought online at a discount. In the interest of comfort I cut the waistband off, and lowered it 2" and re-attached elastic.

it's got holes around the bottom from my blades (i.e.backspinning). It is wide enough to go over the top of my skates over the hook part and keep my bow hidden.

I'd love to get a pair of the stretch fleece pants, but I think I'd be too warm in them once I got going. Maybe I'll sew a pair of the zip-offs.

Audryb-those pants are very popular at my rink! I'm told they are very comfortable!

SkatEn
05-07-2009, 09:18 AM
I've had my UA for about 5 years-bought online at a discount. In the interest of comfort I cut the waistband off, and lowered it 2" and re-attached elastic.

it's got holes around the bottom from my blades (i.e.backspinning). It is wide enough to go over the top of my skates over the hook part and keep my bow hidden.

I'd love to get a pair of the stretch fleece pants, but I think I'd be too warm in them once I got going. Maybe I'll sew a pair of the zip-offs.

Audryb-those pants are very popular at my rink! I'm told they are very comfortable!

I just received the Frosty Tights. They look thicker and really really warm. The ankle grippers are very... say, elastic, but it's kinda tough to stretch. Will the elastic and the ankle area get stretched and not go back to the original shape?

Oh, seku and chloe noel are very popular at the rink now. I see many many many skaters wearing them. There are also some skating designs pants (the one from ebay) that skaters are wearing too. You can't go wrong with them, IMO...

Isk8NYC
05-07-2009, 09:22 AM
ok, I took a picture this morning. The pants are a bit long on me (they bunch up a bit when I pull them over my skate also) but you can see how they just get a bit wider at the bottom, unlike a typical pair of leggings that would taper right down to the bottom.

(PICTURE) You just gave me a great idea - I have two pair of pants that I started to taper, but found that they were already too short. I can add a band at the bottom like the pants pictured have.

niupartyangel
05-09-2009, 07:18 PM

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/823800/IMG_9008.JPG

thanks for the pic!!! i want a pair now :) but ill have to wait until after I pay for our summer ice contract :lol:

Skittl1321
05-10-2009, 08:58 AM

I think it depends on your rink. I go barelegged under mine and just wear regular undies.

I find the crotch of leggings slips if I wear tights. That drives me crazy.

cherylk
05-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Thanks Audry! You are awesome, thanks for taking the time to take that picture.. you're so nice!

They look great on you, and I can FINALLY see what the leggings look like without a skate underneath!

Thanks again!! :)

niupartyangel
05-12-2009, 09:53 PM
I didn't get the e-mail from Se_ku about the 30% off sale on pants, despite the fact that I ordered a dress from them last month (figured I'll need one for my test anyway, and it was 50% off, which makes it the same price than the dresses at other online shops, but the Se_ku dress is cuter). So I e-mailed the owner, Allison over the weekend, and asked if I missed the sale since I didn't get an e-mail and she said the sale did end already, but she will accommodate me and give me the discount. So I arranged to order the long and leggy with ice blue stripe and hope to get them this week :) I can't wait. So if you guys are interested in buying some pants on sale, it's worth inquiring via e-mail.

londonicechamp
05-14-2009, 08:37 PM
Hi

Well, for skating, I usually wear track pants, as they are much easier for movement, with padded short inside, so that I do not hurt as much as I fall over.

londonicechamp

Kat12
05-15-2009, 06:26 AM
FWIW, I had a look for the UA pants on eBay and am looking at a pair...the seller is an overstock company and the pants I'm looking at have a split seam that needs repairing--for a $15 pair of UA pants, I can take the ten minutes to sew it up myself or take it to an alterations shop for five bucks! So you might want to have a look there.

I looked at the UA stuff at Dunham's yesterday, though...and boy the small seems TINY. According to the UA size chart it should fit me with a bit of room to spare, but I dunno. I don't think Dunham's has fitting rooms so I couldn't try them on. I know they're supposed to be compression tights and are supposed to STRETCH, but....!

SkatEn
05-15-2009, 10:26 AM
FWIW, I had a look for the UA pants on eBay and am looking at a pair...the seller is an overstock company and the pants I'm looking at have a split seam that needs repairing--for a $15 pair of UA pants, I can take the ten minutes to sew it up myself or take it to an alterations shop for five bucks! So you might want to have a look there.

I looked at the UA stuff at Dunham's yesterday, though...and boy the small seems TINY. According to the UA size chart it should fit me with a bit of room to spare, but I dunno. I don't think Dunham's has fitting rooms so I couldn't try them on. I know they're supposed to be compression tights and are supposed to STRETCH, but....!

Hey there.
I got TWO pairs of UA Frosty tights from eBay at the ending price of USD5.50. :lol: The seller didn't name the heading like leggings, tights, and used sweatpants instead. It was by chance that I found them too. Also, they are one med, one small. Supposed to be two meds but I think the seller listed wrongly. I'm a little over 5' (154cm), and small was a little long. Med was a little bit longer and not as tight as small but they both feel tight enough. Small would fit better for me. They are very very stretchy. I would keep pulling them up. But over all, it's a good enough fit because I would pull excess fabric over at the boot area.

Very toasty and warm and excellent quality from UA!:)

Kat12
05-15-2009, 08:08 PM
^I think I've seen that seller....I was thinking, "sweatpants???"

So, tonight I was at Burlington Coat Factory and their hosiery section had several types of footless tights, includes several types of thick ones. I got three different types for wearing under my yoga pants as I couldn't decide. The first are Steve Madden "sweater knit." The other two don't really show a brand name but the package does say "distributed by GMA Accessories, Inc." If I Google this name it gives me a company called Capelli NY, but I don't see these tights on their website. I don't see the Steve Madden tights on the Steve Madden website either. Maybe all are discontinued, which would explain why i found them at a discount store. Others might be found at stores like TJ Maxx or Marshalls if you don't have a Burlington near you...dunno.

The Steve Madden are probably the most coarse-knit, but I like the way they fit at the waist/thighs the best. The other two are a bit more low-rider than I like (I like low-riders enough, but have a big bum and if I bend over in these it feels like they might slide down too much) and there's a weird tightness right at the top of the thighs. Otherwise they're really comfy. All three pairs are almost more like leggings than tights--as far as I can see they're opaque and i might be able to get away with wearing them as leggings without anything over the top, though I don't plan on doing so. One of these pair has a sticker on the front that says "super soft inside" and oh boy, are they. Just from trying them on I can tell these are going to be my favorites. I could easily sleep in them. These seem more legging-y than sweater-y than the others do, and clearly they're lined with something different than is on the outside...but both are lovely and soft.

The Steve Madden come in "one size." I'm a bit thin and of average height (5'6") and they fit me fine, but I'm not sure how big they'd go. The other brand comes in Small/Medium, and Medium/Large. According to the chart on the back, I'm too tall for the Small/Medium (it says Small/Medium is for folks up to 5'4"), but I find they're just fine on length for me and I think even someone an inch or two taller than I am would find the length okay, and that goes for both brands. They could easily tuck into skate boots, or sit on top like regular leggings--the ankles seem stretchy enough on all of them for that with no trouble.

I think it's...the Steve Madden ones?...that come in more colors than black...I saw gray, eggplant...can't remember if there were other colors.

I haven't worn them skating yet, obviously...I only get to skate about once a week when I can actually get to public sessions (around here, public sessions during the week are during the day...obviously that doesn't work out if you work normal business hours like I do). So I'll try out one pair tomorrow when I get to go skating, and see how warm they keep me. So far, though, just from trying them on, I'd recommend them.

niupartyangel
05-16-2009, 11:04 AM
Hey there.
I got TWO pairs of UA Frosty tights from eBay at the ending price of USD5.50. :lol: The seller didn't name the heading like leggings, tights, and used sweatpants instead. It was by chance that I found them too. Also, they are one med, one small. Supposed to be two meds but I think the seller listed wrongly. I'm a little over 5' (154cm), and small was a little long. Med was a little bit longer and not as tight as small but they both feel tight enough. Small would fit better for me. They are very very stretchy. I would keep pulling them up. But over all, it's a good enough fit because I would pull excess fabric over at the boot area.

Very toasty and warm and excellent quality from UA!:)

I'm 5'2" and I wear the XS and I still find them long too!

I got my Se_ku long and leggy pants in the mail the other day...I love them too! They really kept warm, moved well and held up well even when I had the bottom pulled under the heel and did consecutive lunges. I kinda regret I didn't buy two pairs instead of just 1 during the sale.

Skate@Delaware
05-16-2009, 11:54 AM
I just received the Frosty Tights. They look thicker and really really warm. The ankle grippers are very... say, elastic, but it's kinda tough to stretch. Will the elastic and the ankle area get stretched and not go back to the original shape?

Oh, seku and chloe noel are very popular at the rink now. I see many many many skaters wearing them. There are also some skating designs pants (the one from ebay) that skaters are wearing too. You can't go wrong with them, IMO...

I find the bottom grippers stretch out a tiny bit but that's ok. Most elastic does that (exept waist elastic, for some reason, seems to get tighter!!! LOL!) It's great for grabbing the top of the boot and staying there and holding in the laces-less chance of getting snagged by wayward blades while backspinning......

doubleloopy
05-17-2009, 07:54 AM
has anyone tried skating in running pants/leggings/tights (whatever they're called). Are they good?

niupartyangel
05-17-2009, 08:33 AM
The Under Armour Frosty Tights are popular for outdoor running in the cold weather, as well as skating. I have a pair and I like them a lot. They are thick but move well and very comfortable, and keep you really warm.

SkatEn
05-17-2009, 09:50 AM
I'm 5'2" and I wear the XS and I still find them long too!

Gosh, imagine a medium on a 5'! But when the excess fabric gets pulled over the top of the skate, I don't feel it too much. And I hope that with excess fabric, there's more leeway for the pants to move so I don't want to see holes soon!

I find the bottom grippers stretch out a tiny bit but that's ok. Most elastic does that (exept waist elastic, for some reason, seems to get tighter!!! LOL!) It's great for grabbing the top of the boot and staying there and holding in the laces-less chance of getting snagged by wayward blades while backspinning......
Haha. Yeah. It is really grabby. I had a wrestling match against the grippers when I was taking the pants off. Slightly tough to pull it down the skate, even worst to change! There are no laces to snag any more; I just keep hitting myself with the blades!:giveup:

has anyone tried skating in running pants/leggings/tights (whatever they're called). Are they good?
I would strongly recommend you to look at the fabric and the seams. It's possible, I've seen skaters do that. I got USA Pro (unknown brand). The quality isn't bad, but the seams started to fur because of falls! It was the second time I wore it! I retired them after. Stick to brands you trust.

The Under Armour Frosty Tights are popular for outdoor running in the cold weather, as well as skating. I have a pair and I like them a lot. They are thick but move well and very comfortable, and keep you really warm.
They make me feel unrestricted. I couldn't feel that it's pulled over my skates, and that it's really stretchy helps. AND it's not very obvious when you have a wet butt. =D

Skittl1321
05-17-2009, 10:33 AM
Gosh, imagine a medium on a 5'!

I'm 5' and the smalls are so long on me (when I don't have skates on I wear them wrapped to my toes.) that I didn't notice the mediums being much longer. The difference for me was fabric that hung down in the crotch. I wanted to get the medium because I'm not a teeny tiny 5'- and the waist band was more comfortable. But after skating once or twice and seeing how they would droop, I got smalls and have realized the waist is not as tight as I originally though.. They are a much better fit for me- and pulled over skates they keep my laces secure and I don't notice extra length.

The only problem with UA is that the side seam rips easily. One small rip and it will split all the way up the pants. That happened to me in the DRESSING ROOM of the store I got them at. I had heard enough good things about them, I wanted to try them, but I applied fray check to the thread in about 10 different places so a run would stop if I knicked it with my blade.

niupartyangel
05-17-2009, 07:18 PM
They make me feel unrestricted. I couldn't feel that it's pulled over my skates, and that it's really stretchy helps. AND it's not very obvious when you have a wet butt. =D

i agree, the moisture wicking is excellent. It repels water very well and dries quickly!