View Full Version : Ice show themes

Lsk8
04-13-2009, 09:48 PM
Hello Everyone--I am looking for some ideas for a theme for an ice show. We have a show every year. Recently we have had Broadway, Movies, TV Favorites and Colors as themes. What themes have you used? or what would you like to see as a show theme. thanks in advance.

CoachPA
04-14-2009, 08:33 AM
One of my favorites that I choreographed years ago was themed "Decades." The show featured music and costumes from various decades, like the 1920s-present day.

The number I worked on, for instance, was the '50s. We did "Rock Around the Clock"/"Greased Lightning"/"Born to Hand Jive". The skaters were decked out like T-birds from Grease in custom shirts that read "T-bird" and jean capris. Very cheap and easy.

For "Rock Around the Clock" we made black number signs with silver glitter, which formed a clock when the girls held them and a parent did a wooden cutout of a car for "Greased Lightning".

The girls really got a kick out of learning the actual hand jive and some of the dance steps from Grease for "Born to Hand Jive."

Isk8NYC
04-14-2009, 08:43 AM
We once did a "holidays around the world" show, but it was lame because only my skaters actually followed the theme, lol. Everyone else just skated their competition program. (I think the theme was announced on short notice and without much fanfare. Make sure you announce it ASAP, but after you pick the songs for your skaters and groups, lol.)

One of my skaters wore a lei and skated to a jazzy, modern version of "Mele Kalimaka" (Hawaiian Christmas Song.) Another wore a kimono and used traditional chinese music for Chinese New Year.

I liked the theme a lot and I've always wanted to see it done right.

One theme that was used for a show was "Love." It was cute - puppy love, butterfly kisses, stuff like that. It creeped out the tweenies though. Boys have cooties, you know. The older girls loved it - they chose break up songs and "Going to the Chapel." Fun to listen to as it traced a lifetime of love.

"Summer Vacation" was a great theme - lots of songs to choose from. One girl used "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini" - such a cute routine.

Black Sheep
04-14-2009, 08:46 AM
Food, Glorious Food!

I don't think this has ever been done! Try using these songs:

Food, Glorious Food! (Opening number)
If All the Raindrops Were Lemon Drops and Gumdrops.... (Tots! Too cute!)
Taco Grande
Bella Notte (Token Disney song)
Scenes from an Italian Restaurant (Adults)
That's Amore
Blueberry Pie
Cheeseburger in Paradise
Chiquita Banana
Tequila
I'd Like to Buy the World a Coke
Popcorn
Hey, Good Lookin'! Watcha Got Cookin'?
Music from the movie Ratatouille (More Disney stuff!)

I'm sure there are lots more. Get cookin'! ;)

RachelSk8er
04-14-2009, 08:55 AM
I once did a show that had a calendar theme, it was put together really quickly and pretty easy:

January-winter music/New Years music
February-valentines music
March/April--St Patricks day music (for March), the following can all go under March or April: Easter music, rain music (Easter/rain can go under April too), you can also throw in some baseball music under March/April since baseball season starts
May--music about flowers, patriotic music (for labor day), mexican music (cinco day mayo), there was a prom group number, some skaters got tacky 80s prom dresses and skated to a medley of the Electric Slide, Boyz II Men, etc.
June--music about summer, wedding music, school's out for summer, if you have graduating seniors do a graduation-theme group number
July--4th of july/patriotic/beach music
August--back to school type music
September--back to school type under there, too, fall music, football music
October--halloween, fall
November--thanksgiving
December--holiday music (a few people just recycled their xmas show programs)

The show opened with a new years celebration, went through the year, and ended with a count-down for the next year in the finale.

And you throw in songs like Calendar Girls, Party like it's 1999 (or other songs that refer to years, like Summer of '69). You can work just about any song someone might want to use into there somewhere. Think of what holidays fall in those months, what sports are played in those months (you can throw hockey music in one of the winter months, someone can do a basketball program in winter, too).

I didn't skate at one of those clubs that went all out with decorations (as in lights, curtains, etc), but it was really easy to make big poster boards for each month to hang around the boards, and we picked up party decorations at party stores (or people brought stuff from home), and it was really easy to find costumes. It was also really easy to narrate a script since everything flows in a normal sequence.

Thin-Ice
04-14-2009, 10:43 AM
May--patriotic music (for labor day)

I hate to be so picky but May is MEMORIAL Day.. to honor those who have died in service to their (our) country. Solemn and patriotic.

September would be Labor Day (to honor those who work... although where I work, the managers all take the day off and the "laborers" still have to be at work!).

I like the calendar theme.. cute ideas!

Mrs Redboots
04-14-2009, 10:44 AM
I hate to be so picky but May is MEMORIAL Day.. to honor those who have died in service to their (our) country. Solemn and patriotic.

September would be Labor Day (to honor those who work... although where I work, the managers all take the day off and the "laborers" still have to be at work!).

I like the calendar theme.. cute ideas!

Er, forgive me, but that depends very much where you live. In Europe, Labour Day is 1 May, so Rachelsk8er is quite correct!

flo
04-14-2009, 11:10 AM
I as a guest in a show that was a musical. Pick any one - there's an instant lineup of songs.

Our shows are not usually themed, but the main group numbers are more on the artsy side of things.

Thin-Ice
04-15-2009, 01:58 AM
Er, forgive me, but that depends very much where you live. In Europe, Labour Day is 1 May, so Rachelsk8er is quite correct!

You're so right, Mrs. Redboots! I jumped to the conclusion that Rachelsk8r was in the U.S. since she mentioned the 4th of July as one of her other patriotic music choices. But since I did not remember exactly where she is (and she does not indicate it in her public profile), I should not have assumed anything! No offense meant! :halo:

RachelSk8er
04-15-2009, 07:04 AM
I'm in the US...all I know is I get a day off of work in May and a day off in September so that my tired, sleep deprived, overworked, stressed out self can get rest...er...spend the day at the rink...(brain is a little fried this week, darn law school).

Thin-Ice
04-15-2009, 08:55 AM
I'm in the US...all I know is I get a day off of work in May and a day off in September so that my tired, sleep deprived, overworked, stressed out self can get rest...er...spend the day at the rink...(brain is a little fried this week, darn law school).

In that case, get some rest and plan to go to the rink on Memorial Day at the end of May (and several times through the summer) and plan to go to the rink the first weekend in September in honor of Labor Day. :lol:

Oh and I know I don't get EITHER one off, so do a good spin or strong footwork or something for me both those days!

bunnyhop1919
04-15-2009, 03:17 PM
One of my favorites that I choreographed years ago was themed "Decades." The show featured music and costumes from various decades, like the 1920s-present day.

The number I worked on, for instance, was the '50s. We did "Rock Around the Clock"/"Greased Lightning"/"Born to Hand Jive". The skaters were decked out like T-birds from Grease in custom shirts that read "T-bird" and jean capris. Very cheap and easy.

For "Rock Around the Clock" we made black number signs with silver glitter, which formed a clock when the girls held them and a parent did a wooden cutout of a car for "Greased Lightning".

The girls really got a kick out of learning the actual hand jive and some of the dance steps from Grease for "Born to Hand Jive."

whoever posted this are you from the ilderton skating club?

bunnyhop1919
04-15-2009, 03:21 PM
this year we did so you think you can dance ilderton and last year we did viva las vegas and grease ,maybe anne of green gables or pirates of the carabien or mary popins

sk8lady
04-15-2009, 03:25 PM
I always thought it would be neat to do a show of "Scheherezade"--opening with Scheherezade being brought before the sultan or whatever he was--and each number being a story of the Arabian Nights.

I also suggested "April in Paris" last year, using any songs about Paris, France, or spring. (The show director widened it to Skating Around the World, and then a bunch of people just did their test program!)

sk8ryellow
04-15-2009, 03:46 PM
My club is doing a show in june and we are using the theme disney music we stole that theme from the collegiate girls though. Also the Collegiate girls did skating from the decades. Thinking of themes is always hard. I hope you are able to get a good one.

Isk8NYC
04-15-2009, 04:49 PM
I saw a news piece on a skating show today. The theme was "What's on Your iPod?" I guess everyone picked whatever song they wanted to skate to, which is great for a last-minute show.

jskater49
04-15-2009, 08:15 PM
Last year we did all summer and vacation songs.

This year the entire show is a theatre on ice - the Wizard of Oz. I think it's really going to be good. But it's a LOT of work for the skating directors!

j

PinkLaces
04-15-2009, 10:18 PM
This year our club's theme is That 70's Skate Show with all song's from the 1970's. My sister's club has done an 80's theme. This year their theme was Traveling...song with a destination i.e. Viva Las Vegas or some kind of travel. My neice did a duet to The Locomotion.

CoachPA
04-16-2009, 08:59 AM
whoever posted this are you from the ilderton skating club?

Nope, I'm a coach from Pennsylvania.

sk8ryellow
04-16-2009, 07:34 PM
Actually I am in the process of planning a show right now with a couple other girls. We are starting a new tradition which the adults plan the christmas show and the teens plan the spring show

techskater
04-18-2009, 11:22 AM
How about a movie or TV theme?