View Full Version : Blooming or Withered Practice Thread Mon. Apr. 13 - Sun. Apr. 19, 2009

singerskates
04-13-2009, 12:50 PM
To celebrate spring and a new beginning: Blooming
What the plants look like before they bloom: Withered

THOUGHT OF THE SEASON
As we wait for the trees and flowers to bloom,
let us be reminded who defeated the tomb.
For as the blooms signal a new beginning,
He that defeated the tomb gives us the choice for a new beginning.

Now I'm off to go skate at my skating session. Shall post later.

dbny
04-13-2009, 12:59 PM
I don't think the weekly practice thread is the place to proselytize.

Skittl1321
04-13-2009, 01:22 PM

The original post could be interpreted to mean Harry Potter :)

Isk8NYC
04-13-2009, 01:46 PM
To celebrate spring and a new beginning: Blooming
What the plants look like before they bloom: Withered
Great thread title! Thanks for the Easter thoughts.

Blooming:
Twizzles! For some reason, I'm able to do the FI ones pretty well if I "pull up" without coming up on my knee too much.

Withered:
Backspins are still digging in - can't find the rocker on that foot.

Camels - keep sliding off the edge. Sometimes I catch the "pull back" feeling, other times the free leg wanders. Need my skates sharpened, I think.

dbny
04-13-2009, 02:31 PM
The original post could be interpreted to mean Harry Potter :)

I know I'm in a very small minority - I've never read any Harry Potter or seen any of the movies. I hadn't realized there was a Christian theme.

katz in boots
04-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Withered:
the ice was so bad on Saturday (hadn't been done since Thursday) that it was like skating on top of corrugated iron. I stayed only 5 minutes. I'd wasted my money but wasn't going to waste my time & energy as well :lol:

That meant two missed sessions (cos Wed night wasn't on) which means yesterday my spins all went back to the beginning :evil: I hate that! Jumps were pretty lack-lustre as well. :roll:

Blooming:
At least the ice was nice and it wasn't crowded - I had the rink to myself for the fist hour :D. I was able to practise spirals and dance went quite well. Nice to practise without having to worry about crashing into other skaters.

After that, about 1/2 dozen recreational skaters came, all in their early teens. They thought I was really good and kept complimenting me and asking if I was a professional/did competitions/coach.

Again I am reminded that even though I think I am skating badly, I am still way better than the vast majority of the population.

Isk8NYC
04-13-2009, 08:43 PM
Blooming:
MITF and edge drills were excellent, even the giant loop exercise.

Withered:
Spins were odd - if I didn't think about it, they were fine. If I tried to demonstrate a looping spin, it would center. Very strange.

Loose blades sink skaters. Pass it on.

singerskates
04-13-2009, 08:55 PM
Today

Withered:

Easter Monday had the ice packed. My coach didn't show because I didn't call him (I have to call him because I tend to run late.) We had everyone on Open Ice (my M, Tu, Th & F ice) from Pre-prelim all the way to national Junior competitive. By the end of the session the ice was so rutty.

Forgot to practice backspin.

When I got home my quads were really sore. If I didn't know better, I'd say that I never used my legs before.

Budding:
Flip, Loop, Lutz and Camel Spin are almost there but not quite today.
Loop just wasn't clean today except for when I did them near the boards.
I changed from using a Mohawk to go into the Flip to using a LFO3 to enter the flip. Seems to always wip me all the way around but it's so quick I didn't have time to pull my free leg in or check out.
I only did two Lutzes and they both were landed on two feet but all the take-offs took off from the correct edge except one. OK, I did several take-offs but decided not to rotate so I could concentrate on landing on one foot and try to get in the habit of pulling in my left leg when I pick in with the right.
Camel had 2 revs a few times but not controlled on the exit.

Blooming:
Waltz
Salchow
Toe Loop
Waltz + Toe
Salchow + Toe
Toe + Toe
Waltz + Loop actually landed one clean but not strong.
Corkscrew
CCW Forward Upright (+ 2 variations)
CCW Forward Upright + 2 variations then quick change to CW Forward 2 revs
Sit
Sit + Broken Leg
1 really high (well to me it was) Split jump which gave me no room to add a my flip + toe (this was during my program run through) because it also covered a lot of ice. I hope I can do this again. I'm going to have to give myself more room and jump earlier next time.

Skate@Delaware
04-14-2009, 07:28 AM
This is for yesterday, when I tossed a coin and it landed on "go to rink"
Blooming: spin drills finally worked, made it back to the line!!!!

Withered: nothing else seemed to work right. Did work on backspins, they were off. Tried some loop jumps, I'm 2-footing those so I went on to sit spins. Video'd one to get my position-yeah it's as bad as I thought (pretty much upright).

Seems like 2 years hasn't made any difference at all-they still suk.

Speaking of Harry Potter......my daughter called to remind me....to block off the date in July when the movie comes out HOWEVER I can only go with them (her and her girlfriends) if I wear a t-shirt and say spells (glad she did not ask me to dress up like Snape or McGonnegal).

Can I mention she will be 20 years old by then????? :roll: Ahhh, kids.

Blooming: had a nice chat with the skating director, he asked if I would be able to participate in the next ice show. I said I would love to if my scheduling allows. I'm taking classes with him next "semester" so I'm looking forward to that and maybe some show stuff would be worked on at that time.

Withered: I do believe my boots are really breaking down. I feel no support at all. I might have to wrap them. I'm debating about getting the Pro-Flex boots (I hear there is virtually no break in time) but the $$$ of new boots is something I am not sure how to deal with right now.

Isk8NYC
04-14-2009, 07:59 AM
This is for yesterday, when I tossed a coin and it landed on "go to rink"I love two-sided coins.

This is more off-ice: I worked out in the exercise machine room last night while the twins were at synchro class. I have found that most machines are designed for people much taller than I am, so I often have to stretch to reach the start and I can't stretch enough to let the weights fully return to the stack. There were three people about my height working out last night. I must have been following them around from machine to machine because every machine seat and height was preset just right. I only had to change one weight stack.

Of course I'm paying for it today. My shoulders hurt, ouch.

Skate@Delaware
04-14-2009, 08:32 AM
Of course I'm paying for it today. My shoulders hurt, ouch.
Yeah, but it's a GOOD hurt!!!

Bill_S
04-14-2009, 08:35 AM
Blooming:
I got a chance to skate yesterday evening. This is the last week of ice for the season here. For some reason - even though I haven't skated NEARLY as much this year - I was able to REALLY make the ice RIP on forward and backward crossovers during warm-up. Maybe it's the kid in me, but I like making that noise!

A humurous thing happened during the session - while doing some footwork, my right toe pick found my flapping left-side trouser leg, punched a hole in the cloth, and parked itself there for a couple seconds.

Goodness, I NEEDED that right skate just milliseconds later, but it was still caught in the other trouser leg. It goes without saying that I took a tumble, and onlookers wondered why. No damage though except for some ventilated clothing.

Mrs Redboots
04-14-2009, 10:38 AM
Blooming: We have our free dance about where we want it to be - for the Mountain Cup. For Bracknell in two weeks? Not so much! Oh well.

Withered: Easter holidays and skate-sharpener visit meant the rink was rather crowded.

alliegator66
04-14-2009, 12:04 PM
withered: My schedule. When I skate largely depends on when I can get away from work. Monday is the only day I know for sure, that's my lesson day. But I would like to know when I get up if I will skate that day, not when lunch hour rolls around and I can see if it is a slow enough day to sneak out for a couple of hours. I really don't know how I can accomplish my goals that way :frus:

blooming: I've had pretty steady jumps in the last week. I feel that they are getting larger and I'm more sure I can land on a clean edge. And I'm more confident that my spins will spin, rather than creak around a few times. Hooray!

Rusty Blades
04-14-2009, 02:32 PM
Both Withered AND Blooming!

Started working with second coach this morning, a VERY experienced coach who has taken many skaters to National level and beyond. She was part of the group with whom I had discussed my skating plans and objectives last week, before she became my co-coach. In the end, my objective was to return to Nationals a much better skater.

This morning was our first session on the ice. She said "I have a plan. It might be hard on you but you WILL be a much better skater." and I KNOW she has a whip LOL! Although it is still cold here, by the time I got to the car 40 minutes later, I wanted to turn on the air conditioner! 8O

This same coach has been on the same morning sessions I have for the past 2.5 years and went to Nationals with me in 2007 so, although we have not been working together, she knows my skating inside out and backwards.

This WILL be good (if I survive!) :giveup:

Isk8NYC
04-14-2009, 06:19 PM
Blooming:
MITF and spins were good, even the crazy camel, lol.

Withered:
Had to leave early because of schedule conflicts.
Flip and loop feel close to being landed, but it's not going to happen until I get my blades fixed.

phoenix
04-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Withered: Well, 8 days until my skating day at Nationals. I'm getting through my patterns, though they really aren't where I'd hoped they'd be by this time. Too many set-backs along the way I guess.

Blooming: Had the ice to myself today, so I would skate a pattern & then slowly go back over the ice examining my tracings. I started to understand why the end pattern always dies out on me & I lose so much speed. I now know what I need to do to fix it, though I can't actually do it yet. But I understand the dance better now, which will stand me in good stead when the day comes to work on it as a test dance (this is the Viennese Waltz, and I'm 2 dances below that level still).

gypsy_82
04-14-2009, 07:56 PM
Withered - Just found out that I lost my Thursday night practice because of rink construction problems (don't even know what they are doing), and possibly Saturdays too. Lets hope they get everything up and running for Sundays. This upsets me because with Nationals next week and no place to go for practice.

Blooming - I am going to try to go to my other rinks open figure skate tomorrow durning lunch and maybe Thursday's public session. Hopefully its not too crowded and I don't get in trouble for doing a few jumps.

Kim to the Max
04-14-2009, 08:35 PM
Withered:
Still coughing up a storm :( been doing that since Wednesday of last week...it's getting better, but not as quickly as I would like, so I got sick of sitting at home so I went skating today...I'm hoping that it gets even better very soon because I don't want to have to go to the doctor, as I don't really do doctors....

While last Thursday, axels were VERY close, today I wasn't getting up and I wasn't pulling out and then in with my arms...

Double sals were also not as good as they were on Thursday, but were still very close...

Some days I wish I could get more lesson time with coach...

Blooming:
Had an empty rink (only my friend was there with me), so I got to do moves without trying to avoid people...power circles were fine, rockers will need some work, but I attempted to do them on pattern, only attempted right footed power pulls :) did okay...will need some work to get them stronger, and the choctaws were okay...just over all I need more practice to get very comfortable with the moves :)

sk8lady
04-14-2009, 08:57 PM

I agree--I'm Jewish and I feel a bit squeamish about posting right along with a poem which is clearly NOT about Harry Potter!

(Plus it was 26 degrees when I got up this morning, so anything that was blooming was frozen solid...)

flo
04-14-2009, 10:14 PM
26 degrees???? 8O

blooming - we had a good practice today. My partner has picked up quite a bit in a short time. I wasn't sure about going to nats in pairs this year. I thought it a bit ambitious to go from zero to gold pairs in 9 months, but it's been great fun.

withering - our time left before nationals. Less than one week before we fly out there!

singerskates
04-15-2009, 02:05 AM
Tuesday:

Withered:
Still didn't get to play my freeskate music because of the domination of the CD player by a few of the coaches at the rink.
I now understand why my Loop, Flip and Lutz sometimes slip on take-off. My right heel keeps moving up as soon as I roll to my toe in my right skate. Coach told me to buy some heel huggers and put them in my skate. I bought them tonight and put one in my right skate. It took a couple of tries to get it right but now I can rock to my toe and my heel stays put. This should also help to break in my right skate. My left skate is broken in because the skate fits right. Right foot is smaller widthwise than my left.

Camel wasn't getting aound 2 full revs today and I was rotating a tad slower than yesterday.

Camel/Sit was OK except that well, I never really got down into a sit.

Bloomed:

Split didn't split on me even though it wasn't as huge as it was yesterday. I still had to do my split earlier than before to get in the flip + toe though.

Corkscrew was decent. Don't ask me how many revs because after 10, I just gave up counting. Must remember to finish the spin properly when I do that many revs because it just makes me to dizzy to stop dead after spinning that much.

Forward upright with variations plus change of direction (2 and half revs maybe three).

Sit was getting around pretty good today.

Walt ya da ya da
Toe same
Salchow was good other than the first one on which I simply forgot to jump. Silly me.

Lutz edge exercise doing well.

Entrance to Flip : can do both 3turn and Mohawk. 3 turn method has me turning the jump fast and I find that I'm landing on two feet because I end up passing one rotation before landing. ;) Mohawk method gets me more height but not as much rotation. :roll:

Coach saw me attempt Waltz + Loop and gave me an exercise to get me to keep my free leg crossed in front of landing leg after landing and my arms checked (left at 12 and right at 6 o'clock). Then he had me do Waltz + Toe and I tacked on two more Toe Loops plus a Loop on the end.
My plan is to be able to add the Loop to any and all jumps that I land correctly.

Coach told me that we will be starting to work on the Fiesta Tango again on Thursday. So I went to show him my end pattern where you do the closed Mohawk (heel to heel) and then RBO, LBI, RBO, cross in front of right foot to do LBI edge and then step to RFI without wide stepping. He said, "I'm quite impressed." because last time I tried the Fiesta Tango, I kept having a mental block. The rest of my Fiesta as been working alright but I still think it could be tweaked more for testing. I don't want to have any needs improvements. I shouldn't have to worry about testing in a smaller rink this time as testing is going to happen where I'm training. (It was freaky when I was training the Baby Blues for all of two weeks since 4 years before than and then jumping to a smaller rink for the test. I kept thinking I was going to ram the boards and so I was a total wreck on the test even though I passed.

I also should think about bringing the Swing Dance pattern with me to the rink, so I can start ingraining it into my memory. Don't know if I'll test that this spring though. But the Willow which is also Junior Bronze here in Canada, I'm going to keep for either fall or if I get a job for the summer, for the summer to work on. I here the Willow is the hardest of the Junior Bronze dances.

Mrs Redboots
04-15-2009, 08:18 AM
Withered: One of those days when you simply can't skate, no matter what you do. It happens to us all..... and it happened to me today.

Blooming: At least I should be skating much better from now on, no? Until the next one.

Debbie S
04-15-2009, 10:30 AM
I agree--I'm Jewish and I feel a bit squeamish about posting right along with a poem which is clearly NOT about Harry Potter!
I agree. Even if the poem did have something to do with Harry Potter, it should have been deleted or moved to the Non-Skating Discussions thread, b/c it had nothing to do with skating. I think using this thread to spread religious messages is highly inappropriate.

To make sure that my post has something to do with skating, lol, I think I'm making progress on the Pre-Juv power pulls and perimeter stroking - trying to get my knees "softer". My FI-BO turns are getting better, but the blasted BI 3's are still a problem - part of it is mental and part is not figuring out where the top of the lobe is. The "withered" part of my skating is that I can't seem to stop toe pushing on the 5-step mohawk, my double 3's still suck, and the ice at my regular rink (which is closing for the summer in 2 weeks) is getting crappier and crappier.

Skittl1321
04-15-2009, 11:23 AM
I agree. Even if the poem did have something to do with Harry Potter, it should have been deleted or moved to the Non-Skating Discussions thread, b/c it had nothing to do with skating. I think using this thread to spread religious messages is highly inappropriate.

I was joking about the Harry Potter thing (though he did "conquer death")- I agree that it shouldn't be in this thread, I was just making light of the situation.

Blooming Had a nice group lesson yesterday. Worked on backspin, and am getting closer to the front of the blade, but am on the right edge about 20% of the time, and a flat the rest of the time (not the wrong edge, which is a plus). Noticed the other adult who is just starting really likes to spin too far back as well- must be an adult balance thing. Worked on waltz jump-loop, and I don't think it's going to hold me into this level as long as I thought it would. I jump much too flat though, need to come off and land on the toe pick.

Withered Everything hurts. My hip flexor, the outside of my other hip, my arms, my back. Why am I always broken?

dbny
04-15-2009, 12:00 PM
Worked on backspin, and am getting closer to the front of the blade, but am on the right edge about 20% of the time, and a flat the rest of the time (not the wrong edge, which is a plus). Noticed the other adult who is just starting really likes to spin too far back as well- must be an adult balance thing.

Most skaters, including kids, spin too far back on the backspin at first. It's just that kids get it right much faster than adults do. They're usually not quite so scared of the nasty falls you can take when you go too far onto the BO edge.

Skittl1321
04-15-2009, 12:44 PM
Most skaters, including kids, spin too far back on the backspin at first. It's just that kids get it right much faster than adults do. They're usually not quite so scared of the nasty falls you can take when you go too far onto the BO edge.

The kids in my program are all on the forward inside edge- except the really good one who has moved onto back camels. While I don't doubt that kids start too far back, I thought it was kind of funny that the line was divided right down the age group- we spin on the flat and too far back, they spin on the forward inside.

It's really hard to correct because I actually can get a good number of rotations "wrong"- so it's hard to reinforce that the "right" spin is the one where I only go around once. I think that's why it's so hard to get the kids off their inside edge- they are spinning, which is the goal. Plus the coach who tells them it's a "feature" and makes it harder...

jazzpants
04-15-2009, 02:51 PM
I am unfortunately STILL on the "flip-flop" between inside and outside edge... oh, crap! Since dbny is reading this and she has seen my backspins, I'll just say INSIDE EDGE instead!!! :roll: :P :twisted: :lol:

Blooming:
Got thru two runthrus of my technical program!!! :)

Withered:
On the first runthru, I think I landed the loop clean, barely landed my (royally cheated) lutz but promptly messed up the backspin AND the flip right afterwards!

Did NOT land any of my jumps clean except for the salchow-tap toe-waltz jump on the second runthru. :frus:

Blooming:
Can land a beautiful loop and lutz after the first runthru but before the second runthru!!!

Withered:
Flip is definitely on Spring Break!!! And WHY CAN'T I LAND the Loop and the lutz IN THE PROGRAM as effortlessly as I did NOT in the program!?!?!!? :frus:

Blooming:
Did a nice sit spin on the try after the second runthru. She told me to go lower and expected to see a shoot the duck low sit spin and well, sadly only got 2 of them in that low a position, but she was VERY happy with it b/c it was FINALLY low enough for her!!! :bow:

Withered:
The sit spin try after that... got down low (which secondary coach started getting excited about again) and promptly sat on my BUTT afterwards, giving secondary coach a HUGE chuckle... (Gee, thanks!!!) :roll: :twisted:

dbny
04-15-2009, 04:58 PM
The kids in my program are all on the forward inside edge- except the really good one who has moved onto back camels. While I don't doubt that kids start too far back, I thought it was kind of funny that the line was divided right down the age group- we spin on the flat and too far back, they spin on the forward inside.

It's really hard to correct because I actually can get a good number of rotations "wrong"- so it's hard to reinforce that the "right" spin is the one where I only go around once. I think that's why it's so hard to get the kids off their inside edge- they are spinning, which is the goal. Plus the coach who tells them it's a "feature" and makes it harder...

The kids are on the FI edge because their weight is even farther back than yours. It's probably not a good thing, but I'm somewhat dogmatic about the backspin. I don't want my students doing it on a flat or FI edge at all until they have mastered the correct edge. (It's only a feature if you can change edge at will!) I start them with a push onto the BO edge and have them jump up/out of the spin if it shifts. Once you've got the habit of doing it too far back, it's extremely hard to break. I still don't have a backspin myself, partly because I changed directions just when I was getting it, and partly because I have a bit too much fear.

dbny
04-15-2009, 05:00 PM
I am unfortunately STILL on the "flip-flop" between inside and outside edge... oh, crap! Since dbny is reading this and she has seen my backspins, I'll just say INSIDE EDGE instead!!! :roll: :P :twisted: :lol:

Oh dear! I was going to add to my above post "(ask Joanna)", but now I don't have to :twisted:.

doubletoe
04-15-2009, 07:37 PM
The kids are on the FI edge because their weight is even farther back than yours. It's probably not a good thing, but I'm somewhat dogmatic about the backspin. I don't want my students doing it on a flat or FI edge at all until they have mastered the correct edge. (It's only a feature if you can change edge at will!) I start them with a push onto the BO edge and have them jump up/out of the spin if it shifts. Once you've got the habit of doing it too far back, it's extremely hard to break. I still don't have a backspin myself, partly because I changed directions just when I was getting it, and partly because I have a bit too much fear.

Which is why I'm finally understanding why it's such a good idea to make skaters practice the backspin from a pivot! It's tough, but if you can get into it from a back inside pivot (for a CCW skater, stay on the LBI edge and pivot on the bottom pick of the right blade), you'll automatically be spinning on the front of the blade and on the BO edge or flat.

Kim to the Max
04-15-2009, 07:51 PM
Withered:
Still have a cough...yes, I should go to the doctor because it's been about 7 days now, but it's getting better and I really don't like doctors....

Blooming:
Had an empty rink again today :) So, I was able to do moves with minimal interruptions...power circles were better because I was able to figure out how to get the pattern to work out better...I still need to work on the power pulls, rockers, and the choctaws, but they are getting better considering that I really just started them...

Did some axels...some friends saw a few and said that they are there, I am just landing flat footed :giveup: :roll: :?? ugh!!! I did a few axel/loops to try to point that toe and stay in at the same time...didn't work as well as I would have liked, but it's still a work in progress...

Double sals are getting better...I actually LANDED one! It was not fully rotated, but it was ON ONE FOOT!!!

I also did some really good flying camels :)

Overall it was a good day!!

phoenix
04-15-2009, 10:03 PM
Kim--GO to the doctor!! Last time I let a cough go I ended up w/ walking pneumonia. All they'll do is listen to your chest & give you antibiotics so you can get better. Piece of cake.

For me:

BLOOMING! Finally! I had a fantastic lesson today, finally started to relax into my knees again & skated much better than I have since my big crash. When my coach came in I warned him "I'm still not skating very well," but after 1/2 hour of his patient fabulousness, I was getting through my dances quite well, even the waltz, and feeling much more agressive and confident. And I loved his comment at the end (heavy Russian accent inserted here): "Why you are complaining? You skate fine today." That's as high a praise as it gets, which made me very happy. I wish he could be at AN with me, but at least I'll see him the day before I go.

Isk8NYC
04-15-2009, 10:29 PM
I second the doctor suggestion, Kim.

Thin-Ice
04-16-2009, 03:21 AM
BLOOMING: Did run-throughs of both programs today. ;) AND no one cut me off or ran into me!:)

[B]WITHERED:[B] Didn't do a good job of either one. Some strange landings and bobbles on the footwork.:roll:

BLOOMING: But I WENT for everything!!! It's been ages since my "head" (fear factor) stayed out of the way while I was skating my programs. This was a real confidence booster as I get down to the final week before AN.:D

WITHERED: This is what SHOULD have been happening back in December and January.:frus:

BLOOMING: On the other hand, better now than the week AFTER Adult Nationals, right?:lol:

SkatEn
04-16-2009, 06:32 AM
April 13 skate.

Actually I wanted to post then but I'm not very sure how the title should be, so, well, here I am!

Blooming:
Sit spin totally rocked. I now knew how to make it go faster during the spin using my hands. Apparently if I hold my hands immediately after going into position, the spin seems not to gain speed. I actually let my hands be almost touching and then slowly draw them on top of one another. :P It was sooooo fast. And I could get up now. May still be short of 6 rev, I can't tell from the scrapings on the ice.

Withering:
Spirals were so blah because I haven't been skating regularly. I couldn't hold it up. My lower back was aching so much.

Blooming:
Landing (f)lutz consistently.

Withering:
I seriously need to fix the flip technique. The rink counter person (who used to skate before he got "too old") told me to imagine that I am vaulting off from my right foot.
What I've been doing is that when I am preparing to pick, the right leg looks nice and straight. But when I pick, I bend the right leg so much. AND when I pick, I'll somehow wait for the left leg to reach about the same place as the right and then I'd jump. I attribute that to a very bad habit. Because I can pick and jump up straight without rotating just fine.

Blooming:
Some back spins were really much better. Coach told me that my back scratch didn't go faster when I draw in. So I tried to tighten up a little more and it can go faster.

Withering:
If I drawn my left leg directly over my left, like straight down, I tend to go forward inside, fast. I really don't need that. Funny how people usually can't close all the way in for scratch but it's easy for me. Funny how it's easy for people to do that in a back scratch and difficult for me.

Blooming:
Forward scratch is still my No. 1 spin. I got a lot more revolutions, and I can't count because it was centered!

Withering:
Camel is not clicking at all. I don't know where to look, how to position my hip, and I really don't get how to arch my back when I do that just fine in spirals. For someone who gets spins easily, camel is a pain.

Blooming:
Jumps are pretty great. Larger, and more rotated. You know, single jumps! I still need to be more aware of arms. Flip has almost the same distance as loop, phew. And there was a very nice lutz with the correct picking, edge, and good distance. Too bad it's only one.
=======
Alright, enough of what happened. What won't happen is me skating. My throat is so red and inflamed that the doctor was surprised I didn't visit him earlier. It's to the extent that my ears hurt. Had 38.7 degrees Celsius fever at the clinic, which really surprised me. I'm on a no-talking order for two days. Just pushed my lesson back, and once I can get to the rink, I've to work something out with the management because otherwise I have four weeks without lesson!
=======
Short note about back spin: I used to spin very naturally on the forward inside edge when I started learning it. Coach made me do from a standstill, and to push into a certain back outside edge before spinning. When it became obvious that I was spinning with the momentum of my leg and thus had no balance once I close in, he made me spin with the leg open, and hands on the hips. It worked very well with me.

All the best, everyone! Stay healthy!;)

Skate@Delaware
04-16-2009, 07:13 AM
This is for yesterday:
Withered: with all the rain, my lower back was really hurting. I put some Biofreeze/Arnica/pain reliever gel on it about an hour before skating. Didnt help much. Also didn't have dance class before skating so, eh, not really warmed up enough for lesson (I know I could have done somthing on my own but, whatever).

Did a lap of stroking, worked on arm positions (mine are always wrong) and pointing the toes.

Coach had me run through some evil forward crossovers on the circle...and I don't normally do these. I have to now. She wants me to add these to my normal warm-up routine. Ok...I'm alright with back crossovers though.

We went to spins. I'm making sloooow progress on scratch spins, as long as I remember the 50+++ things I've been taught to correct <sigh>.

Backspins...same story (and I've been following this backspin stuff). Sloooow progress is better than no progress. However, type-a people still can nitpick.

Blooming: ok I will put backspins here, as coach did comment that I'm able to get at least one revolution when I do them (whereas before it was a major struggle).

Withered: hahaha! sit spins! hahahaha! Once again, an exercise on the line! Which seemed to work much better (my weight was less forward) and I tended to get lower.

I'm working off-ice on these, trying to build up the strength/flexibility in my back/legs etc to do these. I've had some backsliding since my injury/surgery and it's been a long slow recovery.

On another note: my boots are breaking down, time for new ones. AND my blade on my right boot needs to be moved (you know, the one that's really moved to the inside?)....my balance has changed and I feel it. My body is more "square" since getting all that rehab.

ETA: here is the link to my youtube page....sit spin video from the other day. Feel free to critique (but in a nice way) my coach is happy with how we are starting out, since it's been so long (she likes sit spins....)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ik5NwopkN4

LilJen
04-16-2009, 10:03 AM
Blooming: Spin lesson yesterday. 15 minutes really helped, but it's going to take a LOT of practice to get these consistent. . .

Withered: Oh my, silver moves! Introduction to power pulls, back 3s, and cross strokes yesterday. Holy moly. I've decided already that back inside 3s are eville. . . Also intros to the Fiesta Tango (curses on that drop mohawk) and the Swing.

Blooming: Heck, I have all the time in the world to learn these. . . At least I have something new to learn now!

quarkiki2
04-16-2009, 11:32 AM
I haven't posted in the practice thread in forever and ever...

But

Blooming: ISI synchro nationals. We're competing in Compulsory and in Skating. Both programs have been fairly consistent for the past couple of practices, so I feel pretty good coming into competition.

Withered: I did have a freaky fall in the footwork circle at the end of one program, but wasn't injured in any way, shape or form. I did, however slide about 12 feet away from the team and decided that it wasn't worth scrambling to get back to the circle for the end, so I hit a pose and watched the last 24 counts from the ice.

Withered to dust and blown away: We might not have enough members to field a team next year... If the team folds, I may not continue skating as I kit a wall in freestyle and couldn't find a dance partner in the area and teaching Snowplow Sam on Saturday mornings isn't enough fun to continue if I'm not skating otherwise. Sigh...:cry:

Morgail
04-16-2009, 11:48 AM
Blooming:
I'm testing Gold Moves on Friday, finally!

Withered:
I kept making dumb mistakes on the moves yesterday. Thank goodness I get two more practices before the test.

Kim to the Max
04-16-2009, 07:56 PM
Blooming:
Had a really good lesson today...
* did some spins...camel/back camel, flying camel, layback, and the beginning of a haircutter 8O
* axels were okay...still the same issue with pulling out too soon and landing flat footed...did a HUGE one though :)
* double sals are sooooooo close...coach was jumping up and down and doing a happy dance! I did end up landing one on one foot :)
* started fixing my loop jump to make it bigger 8O coach is so transparent with what is possibly coming next 8O 8O 8O
* I have decided that horrible, no good, very bad things happen when coach gets an idea in her head....and by horrible, no good very bad, I really mean kinda' cool, but scary to start with things!

Withered:
Still coughing...if it doesn't diminish to a minimum this weekend, I'm going to make a doctor's appointment for next week....

Bill_S
04-16-2009, 08:17 PM
Blooming: Skated one last time before our rink closes for the season. Nothing terribly exciting to report, but it was a hearty workout.

Looks like it's back to the roller rink on PIC skates until September. It'll be fun to see the old folks there on Thursdays.

Skate@Delaware
04-16-2009, 08:27 PM
Kim---

call the doctor tomorrow!!!! Get an appointment asap!!!!!

Isk8NYC
04-16-2009, 08:47 PM
Still coughing...if it doesn't diminish to a minimum this weekend, I'm going to make a doctor's appointment for next week....Call tonight and try to make an appointment ASAP. If they're not in, get the hours and call tomorrow. Don't wait, it's really not worth the risk.

If you wait and see what happens this weekend, you'll be on hold for HOURS trying to get an appointment on Monday. Doctors' phones are always flooded with people calling on Mondays.

Bill - so sorry your rink is seasonal. Hope the Pic skates are fun though.

The rink put in two large, flat-screen TVs in the lobby area. I sat on one of their comfy couches after I tied the twins' skates this morning at 5:45am. I remember watching some news program and the next thing I knew, it was after 7am and the kids' coach woke me to up to talk about practices. I was zonked. I think it's the Zyrtec I just started taking for allergies. I makes me sleepy and a bit tongue-tied/dry-mouthed. I'm surprised that I'm not stuttering yet (another usual side effect) maybe the nap helped. The side effects usually pass in a few days.

Blooming: Spins were accurate and the jumps I tried, I nailed. With no warmup. I should take naps every morning!
Started choreographing a program for one of my skaters, which was fun. I'm a little worried that her music (which is slow and sweet) might not work for her - she is herself slow and sweet! We'll see after I cut the music to length.

Withered: I felt like I was wearing someone else's skates. Grrr...

Kim to the Max
04-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Call tonight and try to make an appointment ASAP. If they're not in, get the hours and call tomorrow. Don't wait, it's really not worth the risk.

I will...my doctor's office is pretty good about getting people in, otherwise, I literally work down the street from an urgent care connected with a hospital, so I will go there at 9am when they open on Monday morning...

SkatEn
04-17-2009, 02:02 AM
I will...my doctor's office is pretty good about getting people in, otherwise, I literally work down the street from an urgent care connected with a hospital, so I will go there at 9am when they open on Monday morning...

That's great. See that you drink lots of water. I don't have a voice due to sore throat and a terrible cough. No fun I tell you. Eat less aggravating food like spices and sour food. :D

Thin-Ice
04-17-2009, 03:43 AM
blooming:
i'm testing gold moves on friday, finally!

withered:
i kept making dumb mistakes on the moves yesterday. Thank goodness i get two more practices before the test.

good luck!!!!! I'm looking at what moves test I'm going to focus on after I come home from AN. I'm hoping for Juvenile... my coach keeps saying "Gold Moves look like fun!" with a very evil twinkle in her eyes.

Mrs Redboots
04-17-2009, 08:28 AM
Blooming: Much better skate today; got everything worked on that we need to.

Withered: We are so going to not be ready by Monday week. Oh well, tough; we will be ready by the Mountain Cup, which is what really matters!

Skate@Delaware
04-17-2009, 10:25 AM
Withered: don't think I will be skating today; cleaned house yesterday moving stuff around and I'm really feeling it in my back (plus went to the gym).

Thinking a day (or two) off will help. My back is in spasms. I will try to go on Sunday (yeah weekend public but for some reason, sunday's are not too bad).

Plus, I have more homework to catch up on........that I didn't get done yesterday because we were cleaning......yeah.

Bill_S
04-17-2009, 01:50 PM
Withered:
I just realized that I missed skating with my long-time skating buddy during my last skate of the season. She's moving soon to Amherst, Mass. to take another job.

We had always talked about doing a skate routine together for a show, but never did. We sometimes skated together working out moves, etc. with that in mind.

I wish I could have skated with her one last time - and tried some of the steps from the past. They would have been rusty moves, but we would have just laughed.

It would have been a proper way to say goodbye to a good skating friend - someone I'll probably never see on ice again.

Morgail
04-17-2009, 04:40 PM
Blooming:

I passed Gold Moves today! :)

Withered:

Nothing right now. I'm much too happy!

Bill_S
04-17-2009, 04:48 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!:bow::bow:

That's wonderful! It takes lots of hard work, and you did it!

Isk8NYC
04-17-2009, 05:02 PM
blooming: i passed gold moves today! :)

congratulations!!

jazzpants
04-17-2009, 05:07 PM
http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/musik/c040.gif WOOO HOOO, MORGAIL!!!! http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/musik/k055.gif

CONGRATS to you!!! (And I'll bet you'll be looking out for that Gold Pin too!!! :mrgreen: ) :bow: :bow: :bow:

Did you film it? :P

RachelSk8er
04-17-2009, 05:11 PM
Withered: Totally, completely exhausted and it's showing in my (very limited) practices. I got to skate this morning and I was just so worn out by the end of my lesson it wasn't even funny, and then had to drag my butt through a 9 hr day at work. I'm skating OK, just get tired much more quickly than usual due to lack of sleep, stress, and lack of time for cardio, weight training and other off-ice workouts. But it is what it is. When you work full-time and go to law school at night, you can't do everything. I should whip myself back into shape this summer (classes end the week after ANs and my last final is May 13) and next year should be better, I'm only taking 3 classes and hope to have more time for exercise. I'm staying silver at least one more season, so hopefully that will also free up more time in my lessons for dance. I've hardly worked on dance at all this season (partially because I stayed silver for solo dance ANs rather than getting killed in gold and therefore couldn't test more than 1 dance).

Blooming: On the plus side, I am jumping better, my sit-change-sit is better than ever, and I did a decent run-thru of my program today. I tend to lose the spark during the last 30 seconds or so because I'm so tired to begin with, but when I run that section alone it's fine. Adrenaline will get me through it at ANs. Also did a few good patterns of my dances.

Withered: Flying camel is still the bane of my existence.

And we lose our morning ice tomorrow because of a basic skills comp, and I have 5 hrs of make-up classes from when we had a snowstorm earlier this year that got scheduled for tomorrow, so I can't make later ice time at another area rink. Luckily I have an hour or two Sunday and an hour or two before I leave Tuesday (plus practice ice there).

I am really sick of my program though, and can't wait until this summer when I work on a new one that is much more fun.

slusher
04-17-2009, 05:44 PM
blooming:

i passed gold moves today! :)

congratulations!!

slusher
04-17-2009, 05:50 PM
I didn't want to lessen Morgail's achievement but did want to brag a little bit. Blooming In spin patch last night we each get to do a challenge spin to the group, and mine was change foot spins, so if you do 5 rev on the forward spin, you have to match 5 rev on the back spin. We also count out loud so we get used to knowing how many revolutions we get. Well I did 10 forward and then thought, you know, in the nanosecond transition moment, oh heck, I can't do 10 on the back, but Did It! My backspin is now in a place that I can do it as easily as a forward spin. It is just there, but I will not take it for granted.

Which meant of course Withered the next challenge was edge changes on spins. Bleah. Edge change = ice splat.

AgnesNitt
04-17-2009, 06:43 PM
Congratulations Morgail...now start working on Figures, that'll keep you busy for a few years. :lol:

Withered:
I'm now back to leaning out of the circle when I do FO8's on the left foot . This means on a left FO8, I'm actually on the inside edge--it should be impossible. If I was riding dressage that would be doing the counter-canter on an 8--and be an advanced move. Now it's just a mistake. :frus:

Blooming: On the other hand, I can now feel when I'm wrong on an 8. I couldn't before. Also my flow and position is much, much better.

I'm now holding the inside edge coming out of my FO3 with control.

I also did a spectacular lunge--I must have gone 20 feet. Any day now I'll be spinning into a backward lunge, falling on my tuchus, rolling across the ice like a barrel, then leaping to my feet crying "Ta Da!", ;)

Withered: coach now wants me to do 'freestyle' cross overs. I mean how many kinds are there? Do I want to run screaming from the room now? 8O

Morgail
04-17-2009, 07:01 PM
thanks everyone! :)

Did you film it? :P

Noooo way! I was far too nervous.

When you work full-time and go to law school at night, you can't do everything.

That is tough! I only worked part time during law school, and I have the utmost respect for those who manage to do law school and a full time job (and skate, too!!).

Well I did 10 forward and then thought, you know, in the nanosecond transition moment, oh heck, I can't do 10 on the back, but Did It! My backspin is now in a place that I can do it as easily as a forward spin. It is just there, but I will not take it for granted.

Yay for you! :) That's no small achievement. I don't think I can get 10 revs on a backspin...

Congratulations Morgail...now start working on Figures, that'll keep you busy for a few years. :lol:

I am, actually! My coach is going to start teaching me figures in the fall. :) I'm hoping to catch up on dance this summer, and maybe find that elusive axel.

dbny
04-17-2009, 08:58 PM
Blooming:

x.........CONGRATULATIONS!.........x

Withered:
I could not manage FI threes yesterday after the first 2 or 3 (they've been missing in action for about a month now), so I began today's lesson with them, and much to my surprise, skated the best alt FI three pattern on the line that I have ever done in my life - until the last BO edge, when, as I approached the line, the tail of my blade went just a tad over a cone, and I went straight down hard. I was so mad, that I got right up (after some very unbecoming cursing :oops:) and had to do something more energetic for a few minutes before going back to the FI threes. I now have a wrap on my R wrist and a tentative doctor's appt for Monday. It's feeling better, so I may be able to cancel, but I once cracked my ulna and didn't know till the middle of the night, so fingers crossed on this one. If it is broken, I'm showing up for next week's lesson with whatever they put on it. I'm not stopping now!

Blooming:
When I went back to the alt FI threes, I did nail them, to passing standard :D:D:D! This was a huge thing for me. Coach and I hugged, and I was up for the rest of the lesson, in spite of the nagging pain in my hand/wrist.
Asked coach to help me with extension on CCW progressive/chasse sequence from Canasta Tango. I'm in danger of kicking my dance coach, and can't figure out quite where I should be extending to. That went very well, with good acceleration and extension. Spins were also on . I have to just go for it with the spins, or they don't happen. Finished up with 5 or 6 revs on one foot from T push, and nicely centered too. In my ice dance lesson yesterday we worked more on the Canasta Tango, and someone else complimented me afterwards, also saying she didn't recognize me while I was skating. I really don't skate much in front of people I know at the rink where I teach.

Debbie S
04-17-2009, 10:56 PM
Blooming:

Congratulations!! :bow:

I hope to pass that test, someday.....but next up is Pre-Juv, since I decided to start testing both tracks this season.

Are you going to go for Intermediate MIF? I think no matter when I pass Gold, I'm going to wait for the 'new' Int test, b/c I think I'll have an easier chance of passing with the non-power moves, lol.

coskater64
04-18-2009, 08:41 AM
Morgail: Congrats!!

Mrs Redboots
04-18-2009, 01:49 PM
blooming:

i passed gold moves today! :)

congratulations

Helen88
04-18-2009, 02:08 PM
Morgail - congratulations! :)

Blooming:
Hoping to go skating tomorrow to make up for the lack of ice time I've managed to find recently.
I think I've finally got the moves to my level one dances ingrained into my mind, along with the right rhythm - now I just need to get my feet to catch up!

Withered:
Session on Wednesday was really crowded. My spin was non-existant (although I've since got my blades sharpened) and my jumps were pathetic to say the least.

Lack of practice and a reduced number of lessons has definitely taken it's toll.

Isk8NYC
04-18-2009, 02:21 PM
MITF: While it wasn't crowded at today's public session, the people were spaced out just enough so that I couldn't finish any one full-rink pattern on anything. My spirals were good and my three turns were good. I only did a few lobes of the Five Step. I was worried about the crowd.

Spins were okay, little bit of traveling. My skates need a sharpening. My laybacks were pretty good and the camels (both) were good, even the change foot ones. Scratch spins were scratchy, esp. the back scratch. Started working on a back spin with interesting arm/leg positions that ends in a back pivot position. Felt nice, looked pretty good on the video I took.

Jumps - mediocre. Didn't really try a lot since I was wearing an iPod; just walked through.

Did some choreography for one of my students and a little for myself. One of these days, I'm going to start testing again. (After the PSA Conference next month, I'll focus more on that.)

ibreakhearts66
04-18-2009, 04:49 PM
Got a retry on Intermediate moves today :( Comment were really all over the place, but I'm focusing mainly on 2 of the judges because I know they're considered among the toughest judges in the area. I got one 19.3 (.1 above passing), one 18.9 (.3 below) and on 18.8 (.4 below). My problem moves were the forward power circles, the back power 3s with perimeter stroking and the brackets. I had a pretty significant wobble on my first LFI bracket.

But I'm not totally distraught over the retry. My coach said, before the papers came in, that she was incredibly proud of me no matter the result because I looked much more confident and wasn't as nervous, which was true. Plus I really feel like I did my best--I could have done better on the forward power circles if I'd had a better idea of what the judges were looking for, but other than that, it was really my best attempt. No regrets.

Going for the moves again in another month along with the FS.

LilJen
04-18-2009, 05:18 PM
CONGRATULATIONS, Morgail! That's quite an accomplishment.

ibreakhearts, sounds like you are sooooo close. . . keep at it!

Worked on spins & silver moves yesterday. One spin did actually stay on the red dot (decimated all 8 red dots plus the head & puck of the hockey guy mid-ice, tee hee) and I wish I could have taken a photo. It was kind of . . . beautiful. Now, why couldn't I do that the other 78 times I tried???? :frus:

No energy left to work on Fiesta Tango with dance buddy; I think he was disappointed. I've been feeling up and down physically all week--fine one day or part of a day, totally wiped out the next. "wiped out" took over Friday afternoon after I'd been a good girl and worked quite a bit on slaloms, BO and BI threes, and cross strokes. And spins.

singerskates
04-19-2009, 12:46 AM
This is for Thursday & Friday.

Thursday:

Blooming:

Fiesta Tango; started working in lessons with my coach to tweak it for testing. Coach fixed the step where you half your right foot crossed in front of the left foot, slightly pick up your left foot while still crossed behind and then place it back on the ice. Well, I had been putting my left foot down on an inside edge instead of an outside edge. Boy did that make it easy when we corrected it. I have much stronger flow in the dance and better edges too. (LOL, so strong that once I crossed the axis in the middle of the side part, half to watch how hard I'm pushing. :roll:)

Waltz + Loop is getting much stronger. Still need to watch the arms though.

Split
Toe
Salchow

Not quite Blooming:
Lutz is kind of messy and more two footed.

Withered: Fell on both hips with one fall. Fell on the closed Mohawk in the Fiesta when I tried to copy how closely my coach does the Mohawk by clipping the backs of my skate blades together. Right hip is still a bit sore but nothing like Friday morning.

Friday:

Withered:
Woke up really sore and stiff like my coach said I would because of the fall I had Thursday. I skipped skating on my own session.

Bloomed:
My friends Misty and Jane came out to my rink to skate. Even though I was sore, I went home to get my skates and joined them on the ice. I felt much better after skating.

Withered:
Didn't do much.

Bloomed:
Did a very fast centred Forward Corkscrew in front of Jane. She was impressed.
Heard my coach talk to my friend Misty who is doing the Fiesta Tango as well about my dance edges. I was secretly floored and pleased as I kept this to myself.
Coach made me laugh so hard that I fell from laughter (controlled fall). He was copying my friend's move saying that she was skating like in a Russian folk dance while skating backwards. That took all the pain away.

Did Waltz + Loop in front of my friend Misty and she was taking a second look because of the height of my jumps and that I was all the way around on both jumps.

Got to work with Jane (she's doing CanSkate) a bit and got her confident enough to try to skate backwards (two footed doing the twist) and reminded her how to stop on the ice (took 10 mins).

Happy skating everyone.

aussieskater
04-19-2009, 08:46 AM
Congratulations Morgail!!

Fiesta Tango; started working in lessons with my coach to tweak it for testing. Coach fixed the step where you half your right foot crossed in front of the left foot, slightly pick up your left foot while still crossed behind and then place it back on the ice. Well, I had been putting my left foot down on an inside edge instead of an outside edge. Boy did that make it easy when we corrected it.

I wonder if that's a regional difference in the dance? Down here, we have to put the left foot back down onto a LFI and are marked down if we put it down on a LFO. After that LFI, you then push onto a RFO swing roll change edge to RFI (6 counts).

phoenix
04-19-2009, 09:11 AM
[SIZE="5"]

I wonder if that's a regional difference in the dance? Down here, we have to put the left foot back down onto a LFI and are marked down if we put it down on a LFO. After that LFI, you then push onto a RFO swing roll change edge to RFI (6 counts).

Same in the U.S.--it's an inside edge, to continue on the same circle you're already on. An outside edge there would definitely be marked down--not to mention it would change the pattern pretty dramatically!

Singerskates, are you sure that your coach wants an outside edge there??

See video for full visual: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlB5-QRHAAY (fiesta starts about halfway through--good angle to see that edge)

Stormy
04-19-2009, 10:09 AM
Blooming: My axel seems to have returned just in time!! WHEW. I've been in a near panic for several weeks, but I landed a couple today. They're not that pretty, but at least I'll be ok for ANs.

Withered: Not much. Had a good practice this morning, everything seems to be flowing and moving well in the program. I'm excited for this week!

Mrs Redboots
04-19-2009, 11:45 AM
ibreakhearts66 - bad luck; you'll get it next time, for sure.

Blooming: Changed the intro to our free dance and it is much smoother! All the same, we'll probably put the 2nd spin back (or rather, the 1st spin, but we kept our better one) for the Mountain Cup - Bracknell does not allow 2 spins, alas.

Withered: Husband discovered he didn't know how to do a bunny hop!

jenlyon60
04-19-2009, 02:18 PM
I don't know about your area, but in my area, in the forward power circles we're looking for

a. consistent increase in tempo of crossovers from slow to fast (not just 3 or 4 slow then a sudden shift to quick crossovers)

b. Lack of overall power (minimal increase in power generated even though the crossovers are being done at a faster tempo)

c. Circle should be circular and spiral out as tempo increases, not just start medium size and end large, or start small and suddenly increase in size.

Those are the 3 items I seem to comment on the most when I'm judging that move on Intermediate Forward power circles.

On the back power 3's on the Intermediate test, I like to see a consistent tempo around the ends, and both directions (CCW and CW) should be about the same. The BO3s should be controlled and even tempo or even increasing in tempo, and not turned on 2 feet, nor should the BO3s be rushed (sometimes the turn will be rushed and almost ripped or jerked)

Good luck on the next time, Intermediate can be a tough test.

Got a retry on Intermediate moves today :( Comment were really all over the place, but I'm focusing mainly on 2 of the judges because I know they're considered among the toughest judges in the area. I got one 19.3 (.1 above passing), one 18.9 (.3 below) and on 18.8 (.4 below). My problem moves were the forward power circles, the back power 3s with perimeter stroking and the brackets. I had a pretty significant wobble on my first LFI bracket.

But I'm not totally distraught over the retry. My coach said, before the papers came in, that she was incredibly proud of me no matter the result because I looked much more confident and wasn't as nervous, which was true. Plus I really feel like I did my best--I could have done better on the forward power circles if I'd had a better idea of what the judges were looking for, but other than that, it was really my best attempt. No regrets.

Going for the moves again in another month along with the FS.

singerskates
04-19-2009, 03:01 PM
Same in the U.S.--it's an inside edge, to continue on the same circle you're already on. An outside edge there would definitely be marked down--not to mention it would change the pattern pretty dramatically!

Singerskates, are you sure that your coach wants an outside edge there??

See video for full visual: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlB5-QRHAAY (fiesta starts about halfway through--good angle to see that edge)

You know what, I must have heard him wrong. Because I watched the video and I also looked up the Fiesta Tango pattern and saw that I was right in the first place on step 7 XB-LFI but I must have been wrong on step 6 CR-RFO which proceeds step 7. I must have been on an inside edge on step 6 and misunderstood what my coach was talking about.

singerskates
04-19-2009, 03:06 PM
Withered: Husband discovered he didn't know how to do a bunny hop!

You've got to be kidding! Your husband does do the single jumps, right? How did he get were he is without knowing the bunny hop? Who forgot to teach it to him way back?

Mrs Redboots
04-20-2009, 03:55 AM
You know what, I must have heard him wrong. Because I watched the video and I also looked up the Fiesta Tango pattern and saw that I was right in the first place on step 7 XB-LFI but I must have been wrong on step 6 CR-RFO which proceeds step 7. I must have been on an inside edge on step 6 and misunderstood what my coach was talking about.

Yes, you need to be on an outside edge on the cross-in-front, as it changes lobe. One coach made us practice this near the boards, holding a LFO edge and then crossing to a RFO edge so near the boards that you had to make it an outside edge or you'd have an accident! I sometimes still do that if I think I'm flatting a bit.

You've got to be kidding! Your husband does do the single jumps, right? How did he get were he is without knowing the bunny hop? Who forgot to teach it to him way back?I have no idea, probably just fell through the gap.... these things happen. He was doing a sort-of bunny hop, only our coach said he was covering more ice than I was, and to please make it smaller but higher, like mine. So he went off to try that.... and stopped, looking terribly confused.... coach and I were in hysterics.

Rusty Blades
04-20-2009, 06:48 AM
Well I was doing Waltz jumps and almost-Toe Loops and never did Bunny Hops (not until I started with my second coach last week!) - I just skipped right over them. Don't like them! Can't do two-foot spins either - they feel WEIRD! - but I can do a one-foot spin just fine.

Withered: ME since I started working with two coaches last week! I haven't been so stiff and sore since I first started. As second coach stated "I WILL make you a better skater if you survive!"

Morgail
04-21-2009, 08:14 AM
Are you going to go for Intermediate MIF? I think no matter when I pass Gold, I'm going to wait for the 'new' Int test, b/c I think I'll have an easier chance of passing with the non-power moves, lol.

Yes, I plan to, but I'm also going to wait. I'd rather learn the new moves than do the same ones again :lol: Plus, I think the evil bracket pattern isn't on the new Intermediate moves! Good luck on your pre-juv!

Got a retry on Intermediate moves today :(

Aw, that's too bad! But I'm sure you'll get it next time, and the FS too. You look like a strong skater in your videos. :)

Debbie S
04-21-2009, 08:48 AM
Plus, I think the evil bracket pattern isn't on the new Intermediate moves! Nope, it's on there, unfortunately. ;) As are the evil back double 3's (well, only the BI ones are evil, the BO are OK, lol). But I think the 1 1/2 rev twizzles and the reworked Novice spirals will be easier for me than the back perimeter/back power 3's move - I can't imagine going into back 3 turns at the end of a pattern of that stroking - yikes! 8O

Morgail
04-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Nope, it's on there, unfortunately. ;) As are the evil back double 3's (well, only the BI ones are evil, the BO are OK, lol). But I think the 1 1/2 rev twizzles and the reworked Novice spirals will be easier for me than the back perimeter/back power 3's move - I can't imagine going into back 3 turns at the end of a pattern of that stroking - yikes! 8O

nooooo! :lol: Well, I suppose it will be good for me. My problems are on the BI ones, too (I flatten the exit edge), and the LFI (scratchy).
I agree with you...I'd much rather do the spirals and twizzles than back power 3 move!

renatele
04-23-2009, 03:53 PM
I agree with you...I'd much rather do the spirals and twizzles than back power 3 move!

Never ever thought I'd ever get to the point I could say this, but I am starting to almost like back power-3s - at least when they work, that is 8O :twisted: I did test juvenile MITF though. Used to have an absolutely awful time with them before I started working with my current coach.

Twizzles, on the other hand, absolutely terrify me. Well, maybe I can see myself down the road do the FI and BO ones, but FO and BI? :giveup: