View Full Version : Stretching heat moldable skates by rebaking?

mamaskate
04-13-2009, 11:55 AM
Can heat moldable skates be re-baked in order to stretch them? My son's skates are getting tight and we would like to get a little more time out of them. Thanks!

Isk8NYC
04-13-2009, 12:20 PM
Yes, you can remold skates, but if you have a pro shop (or shoe repair place) available, let them "stretch" the skates overnight instead of remolding. They put a stretcher inside that actually pushes on the boot inside to make it longer/wider. The stretcher doesn't complain about the tightness, lol.

Someone in a skate shop had suggested remolding skates only when they have a new owner, which I've done a few times with hand-me-downs. You just follow the original heat molding instructions. Do be sure that the skates are designed to be heat-molded or you won't get as good results. I think the limit on heat molding skates is three times.

mamaskate
04-13-2009, 12:58 PM
Ok, we'll try getting them stretched. I guess we can be without the skates overnight. :)

katz in boots
04-13-2009, 06:06 PM
I think the limit on heat molding skates is three times.

I think it may depend on the brand. When I wore Graf Galaxy the Graf people told me I could heat mold them as many times as I wanted without any ill-effects. I have heard of people who find they need to re-mold their skates when the seasons change, as temperature affects the size of feet and boots.

AgnesNitt
04-13-2009, 07:12 PM
I've had my Jackson's re-molded twice (okay, let's just say I have toe issues).
My skate technician never said anything about it being bad for the skates and he's been a dealer for Jackson for years.

sk8tmum
04-13-2009, 07:55 PM
Is it length or width? Pop out his insoles, and have him stand on them; if his toes are not reaching the end, it's not a length thing and stretching them probably won't solve it. Similarly, if the toe prints on the insole aren't at the end, it's likely not a length issue.

If the toes are WAY over the end, and this happens because some kids aren't the best in terms of letting you know when skates are too small, then, stretching mightn't solve the problem, you likely need a new pair to avoid hurting young feet. I know my kid, skating every day, just started curling his toes under because it wasn't a sudden thing - it was just a steady progression that he didn't really complain about until his toes were 3/4 of an inch past the end of his insoles ... yikes ... heat mouldable skates, by the way, can't be stretched as much as non-heat mouldable ones, because of the plastic inside the leather.

If it's not length, then the feet may have widened or a change in length may have changed the pressure points. You could try re-moulding - or you could get them "punched" out where they press in.

You can also try having him skate without the insoles. Some models this is a problem due to nail heads or other such things being under the insole; with others, it's a way to gain some additional room inside to accomodate a growth spurt. Just a thought.

This isn't a bad time of the year to be looking for skates, some skate shops are clearing inventory ...

mamaskate
04-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the responses. Is there any consensus on whether we should have them stretched, or heat molded again?

sk8tmum
04-13-2009, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the responses. Is there any consensus on whether we should have them stretched, or heat molded again?

It depends on the issue ... I think I posted as you were posting yourself :) I'd also ask the fitter what they think, because they can talk to your son and identify what the real problem is. Some fitters/boot people are magicians in getting more life out of skates.

Isk8NYC
04-13-2009, 09:23 PM
I think it may depend on the brand. You might be right. I was told this by a manufacturing vendor at a national tradeshow. It must have been either Jackson or Riedell since I don't remember seeing a Graf booth.

I believe the magic number they told me was 3, but I don't think that really matters in this situation - the boy's skates have only been molded once so far.

Re-molding was definitely was NOT a "as often as you want" situation. We were discussing leaving the skates in a hot car and I mentioned that I had to do that one summer so I used a cooler with an ice pack to moderate the temp. They said that it was a great solution since the boot would be damaged by repeated heating. No skate manufacturer recommends leaving skates in a hot car regularly.

I've used the skate stretching many times with my kids and I think it is preferable than using their feet as a stretching device. mamaskate - call your pro shop and ask them what they think.