View Full Version : Pair test and competition levels

flo
04-10-2009, 08:36 PM
HI,
I thought I'd start this thread apart from the Governing Council thread as there are two topics, moves and pairs, within that thread.

The issue of concern is that those of us who took the preliminary pairs test prior to the development of the adult test structure were grandfathered to the juvenile level when the preliminary test was removed. This places us in gold pairs. The same preliminary pair test was brought back, and then again eliminated this past September. However these skaters are grandfathered at pre-juvenile, which places them at silver.

A similar change happened in freestyle, however the competition qualifications now include a "date passed" of 1994, when that change was put into place.

This inequity in pair test levels combined with the recent rule changes (allowing pairs to skate "down" from their fs level) results in a gold level with silver to masters level skaters.

Lexi, the adult chair was under the impression that this did not impact many skaters. I know of 7-8 pairs, but there are probably more. I also do not want to speak for any of the other pairs, but would like to hear what the pairs in this situation think. For me, I'd like the option of competing at silver or gold pairs.

If you are, or you know of any pairs in this situation, please let me or Lexi know. If anyone would like the spreadsheet I created of the past and current pair test qualifications, also let me know (you can pm me).
Thanks

flo
04-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the PM's. I'll let you know of any updates.

skaternum
04-12-2009, 07:37 PM
My partner and I are definitely affected (if I ever get the knee back in a state to skate!). He passed Juvenile freeskate before 1994 -- way before. Under the current rules, he competes in Silver in singles and pairs. Under the proposed rules, he will be forced to compete in Gold pairs but single silver. ??? Makes no sense to me whatsoever.

ETA: Obviously David & I haven't been able to compete in 3 years because of my extensive knee surgeries and rehab, but we have every intention of competing together again. That's one of the problems with adult pairs -- you can't assume that the subset of competitors you get at AN one year is representative of the whole set.

flo
04-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Do either of you have a pair test? I don't understand why this has been overlooked in pairs.

skaternum
04-13-2009, 08:23 AM
No, neither of us has taken a pairs test.

flo
04-13-2009, 08:57 AM
So to compete at your correct level, one of you would have to take a silver pair test. Absurd!
So this year in gold pairs we have silver level pairs and freeskaters (those taking the old preliminary pair test and juv fs test) gold level pairs (gold pairs, current juvenile pairs and gold fs test) and masters level freeskaters (someone with a novice fs test skating down because of a juv pairs test).