View Full Version : Riedells V Gams

Cherry_Flip
04-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Hello!

I am currently in Gams, however I have never really liked them. They have now broken down really quickly (under a year) and are becomming more uncomfortable by the day.

I am looking to get Riedells next, does anyone know what a Riedell equivilent of a Gam 50 is? I've found a list of what skate Riedell themselves recommend for each for level, but it only covers America (I am in the UK).

I am average size adult, currently working on single jumps (landing up to Loop). I ideally want ones that are going to last me at least 2 years, so I want them to be able to take me through at least Axle.

I am hoping the Gams last a bit longer yet (I have competitions and tests coming up) but I am researching so I can get them and as soon as the last thing is out of the way I will have the new ones ready.

Many thanks.

Bunny Hop
04-09-2009, 01:36 PM
I was mis-sold Gam 95s, which were WAAAAAY to much boot for me, and loathed them. Never broke them in, and they were extremely painful.

On the recommendation from a reputable adviser, I downgraded to Riedell Gold Medallions, which are incredibly comfortable in comparison, had nil break-in time, and improved my skating instantly (though none of that is surprising as I was going down more than one 'grade' of boot). I am an overweight (but not hugely so) adult female, but am only just beginning basic jumps.

You could certainly look at the Gold Medallions as an option, though I think the Riedell Bronze Stars, which is the next boot up, are the boots recommended for those learning single jumps.

Try www.everglides.co.uk if you want to get an idea of pricing. They sell over the web, but if you want to visit, and are in the right area, they're based in Hampshire, near Portsmouth. You need to phone before you make the trip, but they do stock Riedell (and also Jackson).

Cherry_Flip
04-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Thanks for that, I've been looking at everglides for a few days, someone at my rink recommended them, and am torn between those two models. On the Riedell boot guide I downloaded it would appear it's going towards Bronze Star (at a rough comparasion with the US levels that I found online), but I don't want to overboot myself for moment so they last longer, if that makes sense!

I don't mind paying the extra between the two, so long as they last a bit longer than 18 months, which is how long my first pair lasted for and the Gams will , should they last until I want them to!

Bunny Hop
04-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Definitely do not over-boot yourself - having been through that, I can safely say that all it does is hold your skating back.

If you find you need more boots before the old ones actually wear out, you can always flog the old ones on ebay to help recoup some of the cost of new boots! I managed to sell my Gams that way for a reasonable price. Some rinks also have second hand skate sales.

Debbie S
04-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Bronze Stars should take you through your single jumps. I think the Medallion series would break down too quickly if you do a lot of jumping.

I did read recently that Riedell was overhauling their entire line and both the Medallion and Star series would be discontinued and replaced with different boots that are for the same levels, just different names and different construction. I think they are emphasizing their new "lightweight" design. Check with your pro shop - it might be worth it to wait a few months and get the new boots with the bells and whistles...or maybe you can get a good deal on the current stock.

dbny
04-09-2009, 03:23 PM
bronze stars should take you through your single jumps. I think the medallion series would break down too quickly if you do a lot of jumping.

x..........ITA.........x

shutterbug
04-10-2009, 11:25 AM
I am average size adult, currently working on single jumps (landing up to Loop). I ideally want ones that are going to last me at least 2 years, so I want them to be able to take me through at least Axle.

I’m an average sized adult (5’5”, 125 lbs) doing single jumps through the Lutz and am currently in Gold Stars. My last boots were Silver Stars and I broke them down in less than a year. If the Riedells are a good fit for you, you shouldn’t have any problems breaking in a stronger boot because of the flex notches at the ankle. I had a sit spin lesson my first day in the Gold Stars without any problems. Be aware though, that the fit of the Gams and Riedells is very different.

fsk8r
04-10-2009, 01:10 PM
I'll second the recommendation for everglides if you're local enough to go see them. He's very good and knows his boots. He'll be able to recommend something suitable for what you're doing. Possibly if they're breaking down so quickly on you (not sure on what Gams are like) you might want to consider going one model up from what you're looking at, just so they last longer.
I understand the concern about not overbooting, but if you're worrying about finances, as an adult you're not going to grow out of them, so at least they'll last longer. I have Jackson Elite for freestyle which I got 4 years ago when I was still just doing waltz jumps and possibly beginner toe-loops and am now up to lutz. They're really tough boots, but I've never felt they held my skating back and they're lasting well. I'm at the point where I'm beginning to think about what to replace them with, but they've probably got at least another year in them left! The shop that sold them to me, said that as an adult to buy a good tough boot that will last and then a level appropriate blade as it's cheaper to change a blade when you improve than buying new boots.

Virtualsk8r
04-10-2009, 01:54 PM
I don't like to overboot my skaters ....ie beginners in Harlick high testers or finalists. However, I have most of my skaters in Riedell 1500's - advertised as an elite skating boot - but I have adults who are working on axel, have cheated flips and learning lutz - who find the 1500's to be really comfortable with enough support for their low level freeskating. The soles and heels are made partially out of cork so the boot is incredibly light and has a heel lock loop on the tongue that you lace through to keep your heel in its proper place. All of my skaters - elite and low level - that have the Riedell 1500's have had their boots rebuilt, tongues replaced or soles replaced by either Riedell or a local bootmaker - to make the boots last them longer. Once broken in (not a long period either) these skaters refuse to give up their comfortable boots! One high level test skater is on her third year in the boots, having rebuilt them twice! (double axel and double jumps).

Try a pair on if you can. Since your feet will not grow - it might be a good fit!

Cherry_Flip
04-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Thanks for all the advice, I will be going to everglides I partly wanted to get an idea of what price bracket I'd be looking at also! Having gone through firstly £117 and then £180 boots both in 18 months I'm getting a tad fed up and want to really look into it this time. I was looking at the gold medallions last night, but after the advice you've given I think I'll be looking at the next stage up, whatever they are called when I come to buy them!

I hope they do have a totally different fit to my Gams, I hate them. Tbh I did from day one and have tolerated them more than anything. I had Risports to begin with, which were so comfortable but the next boot up from the one I had was far too hard. I know a few people from my rink who have gone from Risports to Riedells with no problems, which is why I want to try those next. I want to avoid Jacksons, seeing as they are made by the same company as Gams I think I will just have the same problems I have with these.

Bunny Hop
04-10-2009, 03:22 PM
I hope they do have a totally different fit to my Gams, I hate them. Tbh I did from day one and have tolerated them more than anything.I can absolutely guarantee that the Riedells have a completely different fit to the Gams, though I couldn't put my finger on exactly how. A lot of people say the Riedells run narrow, but don't believe them (they certainly have a nice narrow appearance though).

sk8tmum
04-10-2009, 07:26 PM
Riedells fit a narrower foot. Plus, you can get split widths (different heel/forefoot) in stock and more extreme differences in special order.

Riedells also, properly fitted, feel quite snug at first. That's because the nature of the inside of the boot requires it. As you wear them for the first couple of weeks, the boot liners/padding moulds around your foot. If you buy them comfortable, they will be loose after the first few weeks. Our fitter explained this to us, so we knew what to expect (they are a major dealer of Riedells and fit them on quite a number of skaters). Of course, that may be changed in the new models, as they are rather different from the old line; they look quite different in fact. I know that that aspect of the Riedells was a point of annoyance for some skaters.

sk8tmum
04-10-2009, 07:28 PM
I want to avoid Jacksons, seeing as they are made by the same company as Gams I think I will just have the same problems I have with these.

Jacksons bought out GAM. The GAMS you were wearing aren't Jackson skates ... Jacksons are great skates, well-beloved by many skaters. Quality is good, fit is good (a bit wider than Riedells), price point in Canada is excellent, and they hold up well. We've used both, had similar bad experiences with GAM.

Bunny Hop
04-11-2009, 05:11 PM
Riedells fit a narrower foot. I hate to be a bore about this, but I disagree. My husband and I are both in Riedells, and both of us have wide feet. They fit us fine, and mine have never felt tight at all - they just feel like they fit. The Gams never felt like they fit properly.

It's all a matter of finding the right 'brand' for your feet, and not paying too much attention to reputation with regard to fit.

Isk8NYC
04-11-2009, 05:34 PM
Riedells fit a narrower foot. I hate to be a bore about this, but I disagree. My husband and I are both in Riedells, and both of us have wide feet. ... It's all a matter of finding the right 'brand' for your feet, and not paying too much attention to reputation with regard to fit.I agree with the last statement, but it's difficult to find skates to try on, especially for adults. Retailers don't want to keep too much stock on hand because inventory ties up their cash.

The Riedells really do tend to be more narrow. My twins went from a "C" width Riedell skate to a "B" width in the Jacksons. My oldest daughter wore a "D" width in Riedells, but a "C" width in Jacksons.

I myself tried on both Riedell and Jackson skates last year while I was killing time in a pro shop. I needed a much wider width in the Riedells than the Jacksons.

fsk8r
04-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Jacksons bought out GAM. The GAMS you were wearing aren't Jackson skates ... Jacksons are great skates, well-beloved by many skaters. Quality is good, fit is good (a bit wider than Riedells), price point in Canada is excellent, and they hold up well. We've used both, had similar bad experiences with GAM.

Not tried Gams but I love my Jacksons and would hate to see them tarred with the same brush as the Gams. But I will say they look bulky in comparison to my old Risports but there's lots of padding. I tried Riedells when looking for dance boots (I think the model up from the 1500s) and thought they looked enormous on my feet, but they were really comfortable so I could see the 1500s being really good as well. They were really light in comparison to the Jacksons, although I don't worry about the weight so much as I think you get used to whatever you wear.

Mrs Redboots
04-13-2009, 09:31 AM
And I love my Gams and will happily go back for another pair when I need to! Probably the 75s still, which is what I have now; Husband went up to the 95s last time and has, I think, regretted it slightly, although they're definitely his boots now!

bunnyhop1919
04-13-2009, 09:37 AM
im in grafs and lovin it!! im in a edmonton special (400$) with a cornation ace
(200$) they fit really nicely !!!

RachelSk8er
04-13-2009, 10:58 AM
I've never tried Gams so I'm not sure what the comparison is, but Riedell 1310s (out of their new line) should be a good boot for you. The 2010 would probably be overbooting for you if you're average height/weight. The 1310s are a little less stiff than the 1500s (which I believe have been discontinued or are being phased out), I tried on a pair of 2010s the other day and they are more stiff than the 1500s.

katz in boots
04-14-2009, 03:34 AM
My daughter had 2 pairs of GAMs, different models, my coach was in Gams and thought highly of them. Personally I thought they were that bit better value & quality for money than Jacksons.
Not a big sample group, but no probs to report with Gams here. I know only 2 people in Riedells here. Description tends to be "clunky"

antmanb
04-16-2009, 08:42 AM
I'll throw my experience in for you as well!

I was in Risport skates when i started skating and they were incredibly painful and never felt comfortable all the way to breaking the boot down. Having never skated in anything else i didn't know that you coudl skate pain free!

I swapped to Riedell with my next boots - I bought the silver stars (Adult Male 5'11 and probably 180lbs at the time, more like 200 now!). I went to a fitter a in Blackburn i think from a recommendation on here - i have his contact details if you need them.

Having discussed my skating with him (at the time i was squeaking out jumps up to lutz and had started working on axel - my skating has gone backwards a lot since then!) he told me the Riedell bronze stars would not be enough boot for me and said he would recommend the silver stars or gold stars. He insisted that he didn't think the Gold stars would be too much boot but after my risport experience I erred on the side of caution and got the silver stars.

I can't recommend the boot enough. My jumpnig has gone backwards but my general skating is better, i spin much more than I did and the jumps i do are bigger and longer so i think the boot gets the same pounding it would otherwise (more so because of the weight gain!). I had aboslutely no breaking in time (maybe a week or two of lace burn), but it felt like i was skating in slippers because of the extra padding.

I'd also add that i found the Risports crished my feet for being far too narrow, I have average-wide feet and find the Riedells have much more room and fit my foot perfectly.

Ant

RachelSk8er
04-16-2009, 11:33 AM
I'll throw my experience in for you as well!

I was in Risport skates when i started skating and they were incredibly painful and never felt comfortable all the way to breaking the boot down. Having never skated in anything else i didn't know that you coudl skate pain free!

I'd also add that i found the Risports crished my feet for being far too narrow, I have average-wide feet and find the Riedells have much more room and fit my foot perfectly.

I had Risports for less than a year when I was 16 yrs old (got them in August or so, was through with them by March). My uncle worked for a reputable skate shop at the time and he INSISTED that they were better than Riedells, which I had worn my entire life (and have ever since). The Risports were horrible. Never fit right, broke down very quickly...I was skating on both a junior and a senior synchro team at the time and doing dance and moves, but still, they should have lasted longer. I think they're the reason my pinky toes became (and still are) so oddly shaped. They were much narrower than the Riedells in the toe area. For long synchro practices, I surrendered to just wearing my old, broken down skates because these were so painful after an hour. A lot of the girls on my team had them around the same time, too, and they didn't last long for any of us.

The worst part was I put fairly expensive blades on them (Super Dance 99s) and was unable to re-use them when I went back to Riedells because due to the higher heels, the boots took 1/2 inch smaller than Riedells. Luckily I was able to sell the blades.