View Full Version : Any comments on NJ Ice House Adult camp?

AgnesNitt
04-08-2009, 04:40 PM
I'm tempted to go to the NJ Ice House Adult Camp this year (couldn't make it last year--the Big Guy faded on me). I see they're offering figures and I'm now consistent w/ my inside and outside 8's. (It looks like I'll reach my goal of passing first test this year cause I'm pretty sure I'll be able to do a waltz 8 soon.)
Anyway, curious if anyone on the boards went last year and what they thought. Are they tolerant of no jumping skaters?

Isk8NYC
04-08-2009, 07:59 PM
Just repeating my post from last week, in case others wanted the announcement link.

The Ice House Adult Camp announcement is up on their website.
(The Ice House is in Hackensack, NJ)

http://www.icehousenj.com/Docs/FigSkatingAdultCamp09.doc (http://www.icehousenj.com/Docs/FigSkatingAdultCamp09.doc)

June 26 - 28, 2009

Ooooo - they added Compulsory Figures for this year's camp!

Skittl1321
04-09-2009, 07:15 AM
I'm tempted to go to the NJ Ice House Adult Camp this year (couldn't make it last year--the Big Guy faded on me). I see they're offering figures and I'm now consistent w/ my inside and outside 8's. (It looks like I'll reach my goal of passing first test this year cause I'm pretty sure I'll be able to do a waltz 8 soon.)
Anyway, curious if anyone on the boards went last year and what they thought. Are they tolerant of no jumping skaters?

If you do a search on the boards there a a bazillion posts on it. From what I can remember from my searches, they say they are open for all levels- from skaters just learning to go backwards up to triples, but that those very beginners sometimes felt uncomfortable in the classes. I think that if you are willing to speak up and communicate with the coaches your abilitiies and expectations, they will be able to accomodate you, but if you are more of a shy, don't speak up sort of person your experience might be less than positive.

sk8lady
04-10-2009, 06:49 AM
Isn't Robin Wagner currently suspended? Anyone know who'll be coaching instead?

CanadianAdult
04-10-2009, 10:56 AM
They've changed it since last year. Last year they offered two singles tracks, recreational and competitive, this year it's back to one track of singles so I would hope for more level groups.

The biggest complaint was although they made 4 groups in each track, they then immediately combined two groups on each session so that the groups were very large, too large and the range of abilities too wide. In regards to speaking up, there were people who were always seeking attention and got it, so if you're shy, you can get overlooked.

patatty
04-10-2009, 11:37 AM
They've changed it since last year. Last year they offered two singles tracks, recreational and competitive, this year it's back to one track of singles so I would hope for more level groups.

The biggest complaint was although they made 4 groups in each track, they then immediately combined two groups on each session so that the groups were very large, too large and the range of abilities too wide. In regards to speaking up, there were people who were always seeking attention and got it, so if you're shy, you can get overlooked.

I was there last year, in the level 3/4 competitive track group, and I agree with what you said - there was a huge range of abilities. I bet that the people at the bottom and the top of those groups must have been pretty frustrated. I was in the middle, so I was fine. I'm a shy type, so I never spoke up, but I just tried to absorb everything they were teaching me. I agree that some people received a lot more attention than most. I really wasn't seeking attention, so it didn't bother me. I had a great time and learned a few good hints that have stuck with me through the year. Overall, it was tons of fun. I met some great people and did a huge amount of skating - I couldn't even get out of my car on Sunday night after driving home, because I was so sore and tired. I'm looking forward to doing it all again this year.

Skate@Delaware
04-10-2009, 03:59 PM
Two of the ladies from my rink went; sort of in the middle, lower-middle as far as abilities go (one has waltz, toe-loop, the beginnings of a salchow; 2-foot and 1-foot spin; the other has waltz, toe-loop, salchow, scratch, camel spins).

They did recreational track and they had a blast! They are planning on attending again and it looks like I am going as well.

I'm hoping the lack of a recreational track doesn't scare them off.

AgnesNitt
04-10-2009, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the tips. I think I'm too low to benefit from it but it sounds like the Big Guy might be at the right level.