View Full Version : Costumes for different dances

katz in boots
04-06-2009, 06:04 PM
OMG, I'm turning into an ice-dance bore8O

When you are competing solo dance and have to perform 2 different dances, how do you decide what sort of dress to wear? Do you:

a) dress for one and not worry about the other
b) try to find something that fits both 8O
c) wear something really generic that doesn't interpret either

In this case I am doing Fiesta Tango and Swing Dance. Very different dances in terms of the feel. Naturally Tango is more dramatic so I want to dress for that. I also happen to have loads of black fabric in my cupboard:lol:

dbny
04-06-2009, 06:14 PM
How about a black leotard with red trim of some sort that you can pair with a slash cut longish black skirt with the same red trim for the tango, and a shorter, less dramatic, skirt for the swing dance?

katz in boots
04-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Thanks DBNY, but I'm thinking I won't have time to change. From what I understand, the two dances will be separated by a short warmup break. I may be the only competitor, so I won't have time to change. I'll just be madly catching my breath.

sk8lady
04-06-2009, 08:08 PM
What about a black petal skirt with one part of a piece of black velcro (ho0ks or loops) on the outside of one of the "petals" parallel to the hip, about where the slit would be on a tango skirt, with the with the matching piece at about the hip to create a faux slit for the Fiesta, and leave it undone for the Swing. Red leotard underneath with hair decorations appropriate to the particular dance.
Otherwise, I'd say make a great black and white dress--or something like the dresses here:

http://www.tangoleva.com/dress(page3).html

I tend to think of tango dresses as being black and red but I think it's a bit of a stereotype.

dbny
04-06-2009, 08:18 PM
I forgot to say that I was thinking wrap skirts, so no real changing involved.

RachelSk8er
04-07-2009, 08:20 AM
It all depends on the circumstances (and what I have in my closet...ha ha).

I competed dance at AN in 07 and wore the same dress for all 4 dances. It's a black cocktail-looking dance dress with clear crystals that works for just about anything (wore it for the blues at adults for autsim if anyone saw, it's my old synchro dress from 07). Someone in my group at ANs that year actually competed in a real cocktail dress pretty much identical to my skating dress version.

At mids, I competed 3 dances (Blues, Tango and 14 step). I ran back to the locker room and changed for each dance like a crazy person, I only had a few minutes. I wore the black dress for the blues (rather than a blue dress I have that requires different bra configurations that I didn't have time to deal with). I have a red/black lace Spanish-lookng dress I wear for the Tango and threw a rose in my hair, and a plain red halter dress I wear for the 14 step.

I've seen people do all kinds of simple, creative quick switches for different dances--sashes, jackets, wrap skirts, etc.

If you're doing solo dance at ANs, there is plenty of time for different costumes (as in a few hours between rounds).

Mrs Redboots
04-07-2009, 01:21 PM
If you have time to change, go for it! If you don't, then wear a "generic dance dress".

Which reminds me, our free dance is a Tango this year and I need to make a new red flower for my dress.....

AgnesNitt
04-10-2009, 08:19 PM
OMG, I'm turning into an ice-dance bore8O

ROTFL :lol:

"Ice dance bore"-----There's no such thing in my universe! I'll even sit and watch people learn the Dutch Waltz.

dbny
04-10-2009, 11:19 PM

"Ice dance bore"-----There's no such thing in my universe! I'll even sit and watch people learn the Dutch Waltz.

ITA. You took the words out of my mouth - "no such thing!"

katz in boots
04-11-2009, 03:28 AM

Hmm. That's exactly what I mean :lol: No offence intended. Before I started doing dance (primarily to get a test pass so I could coach LTS) I found threads about ice dance to be rather, well boring! I couldn't understand how anyone could go on about dance steps & patterns so much. Karma, now I'm the one doing it, hence my comment.:lol: