View Full Version : Dye for costumes

samba
04-05-2009, 11:09 AM
Hi

Does anyone know of a good dye for a skating dress made of crushed velvet and chiffon, I dont think all dyes work on both of these materials.

Thanks
Samba

flo
04-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Hi,
Check out Dharma Trading company on line for good guides. I have used setacolor transparents. I've also used Rit for larger jobs. Just know that it may take some mixing to get the colors. With the Rit dye, the different materials may color differently, so you may have to do it in a couple steps.

katz in boots
04-06-2009, 03:38 AM
while on the subject of dye, what would you use to ombre dye chiffon? How do you go about the graduated dying process?

RachelSk8er
04-06-2009, 07:06 AM
On that subject...the nude material on my Tango dress is WAY too light and I think it looks awful on me. There isn't a whole lot of it, just up at the shoulders/neck and on the back, and it's a mesh. Does anyone think maybe dabbing it with tea would darken it a bit? That's the only thing I tink would work without messing up the rest of the dress or totally ripping it apart to replace the nude parts.

flo
04-06-2009, 09:12 AM
Hi Rachel - tea works well. Test a similar piece first.

Katz - the best method I've found is to make a pot of rit dye and put it on the stove to simmer. I have a vent above my stove where I can hang the dress or skirt/fabric (using a paperclip and a rubberband or string attached to the hanger). Then I dip it in up to the point where I want the dye (usually where the skirt is attached). Once the color you want is reached, begin to pull it out and leave it there until it's a bit darker and so on. To avoid lines, use a foam brush or something to get a bit of the dye above the water line. Wetting the fabric before you dip it also helps. If you prefer, you can also dip just the bottom in at first and lower the dress into the pot. I tend to do it the first way as I can leave it for longer periods towards the end.

Another way is to hang the dress above your workspace so that the skirt is flared out on the table. Then you can paint the dye on with a foam brush using poebo setacolor paint or the rit dye. To set the color, iron the dress.

katz in boots
04-06-2009, 07:22 PM
Thanks Flo, I'll have to give it a go. I think the painting sounds more controlled than the dipping.

While we're on the subject of dyes, yet another question. Has anyone successfully dyed lycra?
The reason I ask is that I am very fat and can't get OTB tights to fit (a necessity to hide my very bulky, ugly Proflexes). There really is no alternative in my size.

I can make OTB tights but can't get the right colour in a suitable fabric. I've got samples from all over the world, but all the matte lycras and similar are too pale. Any ideas?

flo
04-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Hi there,
I've dyed lyrca as well. Use a test piece as your guide.
The dipping isn't too bad - try it with a sock or something. I have lots of dyed socks! I just finished painting Canada Goose wings for my coach's kids. I've got brown and black fingers!

katz in boots
04-06-2009, 09:47 PM
Hi there,
I've dyed lyrca as well. Use a test piece as your guide.

what do you dye it with?

flo
04-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Hi,
For Lycra, I've used the rit dye. I don't know what colors they might have for flesh tones, but perhaps you could mix them. Also check out the Dharma site for their suggestions. I'd also write the companies that make the tights. They should make them in all sizes.

samba
04-11-2009, 07:29 AM
Thanks everyone, I will let you know how I get on.

Samba