View Full Version : 2009 Peach Classic - All Adult Competition

rlichtefeld
04-03-2009, 12:03 PM
I think we finally have the rink and the Sectional Vice Chair for Competitions in agreement. (Both, had to agree to the date.)

The date for this year's Peach Classic All Adult Figure Skating Competition will be August 29-30, 2009.

It will be held the same place as the past few years, at the Atlanta IceForum, in Duluth, GA.

I have a bare-bones website up, that we will update when the announcement and sanction are approved. This will most likely be after Governing Council, so that we can incorporate any changes to the Adult rules.

The website is:
http://www.gafsc.org/peachclassic

I hope we can see you again this year.

Rob

RachelSk8er
05-27-2009, 08:23 AM
Rob--do you have an announcement/entry forms yet?

I've been keeping an eye on flights and they just went down $44 so I'd like to book soon, but was waiting on the official paperwork...

Also, time do things typically wrap up on Sunday, and how long would it take me to get from the rink to the airport? Trying to get an idea of the best times for return flights if I had to skate on Sunday and since I'm probably sharing a rental car with skaters in other levels. (There are a few flights between 4pm-8pm, just trying to avoid either a rush to the airport to catch a flight, getting home late on Sunday, or both.)

rlichtefeld
05-27-2009, 10:52 AM
Rob--do you have an announcement/entry forms yet?

I've been keeping an eye on flights and they just went down $44 so I'd like to book soon, but was waiting on the official paperwork...

Also, time do things typically wrap up on Sunday, and how long would it take me to get from the rink to the airport? Trying to get an idea of the best times for return flights if I had to skate on Sunday and since I'm probably sharing a rental car with skaters in other levels. (There are a few flights between 4pm-8pm, just trying to avoid either a rush to the airport to catch a flight, getting home late on Sunday, or both.)

We should have the announcement out in the next day or two. The Sanction Chair had a few corrections that I needed to make, and I sent the corrected announcement back to him this morning.

You can check the schedules from the last few years at: http://www.gafsc.org/peachclassic
Just click on the year on the left, and then click on Schedule.

I usually plan on it taking an hour to get from my house (which is near the rink) to the airport. This takes into account small accidents that may pop up, etc. However, it usually only takes about 40-45 minutes. But, I'd rather sit at the gate a few minutes early that rush to catch a flight. Also, depending on the time of day, it can take a while to get through security. Since the Atlanta airport is the world's busiest, I usually plan on getting to the airport an hour before my flight. But, I don't have to turn in a rental car.

I would think a flight after 4:00 would give you plenty of time to get from the rink to the airport. But, until the final schedule is put out by the referee, I can't guarantee anything.

Rob

RachelSk8er
05-27-2009, 02:04 PM
Thanks! I was mostly looking at 5 and 7 pm flights, so that should work. There is also an 8pm but it's not direct and won't get me in until midnight (yuck).

I'm planning to do this trip without having to check anything. I had better have room in the skate bag for my SNUGGIE!!!

Stormy
05-27-2009, 02:11 PM
Thanks! I was mostly looking at 5 and 7 pm flights, so that should work. There is also an 8pm but it's not direct and won't get me in until midnight (yuck).

I'm planning to do this trip without having to check anything. I had better have room in the skate bag for my SNUGGIE!!!

I am bringing my Snuggie! A 5-7 PM flight is what I am looking at as well. We're always out in time for a later afternoon flight.

rlichtefeld
05-28-2009, 11:06 AM
I'm excited to announce that we got the sanction approved and the announcement for 2009 Peach Classic All Adult Figure Skating Competition is now online:
http://www.gafsc.org/peachclassic

Also, I have a skater who already has contacted me and wants to be on a Gold Team. If you are interested, let me know and I'll forward her email to you.

Rob

RachelSk8er
05-28-2009, 09:37 PM
I am bringing my Snuggie! A 5-7 PM flight is what I am looking at as well. We're always out in time for a later afternoon flight.

WOOOO WOOOOOO fun times for all!

Petlover
05-29-2009, 03:26 PM
I'm sending in my entry next week! This is my favorite competition, and well worth the 8 hour drive from Florida. I rarely fly, my asthma acts up too badly.

Coach said my loop is good enough to put in my program this year, I can't wait!

looplover
05-29-2009, 07:16 PM
I'm sending in my entry next week! This is my favorite competition, and well worth the 8 hour drive from Florida. I rarely fly, my asthma acts up too badly.

Coach said my loop is good enough to put in my program this year, I can't wait!

Woo hoo! You will do great!!!

I wish I were going to this! Not in the budget this year as it turns out...(nor is skating at all right now) - next year!

RachelSk8er
06-02-2009, 02:25 PM
I booked my flight today! Yippee!

Skate@Delaware
06-02-2009, 07:37 PM
I would really love to be able to go now that I'm fairly healed up and back to my old skating self, but I'm in school and that's the first week back....daggone it!

RachelSk8er
06-03-2009, 08:36 AM
I would really love to be able to go now that I'm fairly healed up and back to my old skating self, but I'm in school and that's the first week back....daggone it!

Yeah that's the weekend after my first week of classes too (but I don't care)...my most wonderful #1 competition sidekick/roomie and my other friends are all understanding of my need to hide/study. For fall semester, I usually get books and start reading as soon as they come out anyway, so by the first week of classes I've already got a few weeks of reading done.

Skate@Delaware
06-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Yeah that's the weekend after my first week of classes too (but I don't care)...my most wonderful #1 competition sidekick/roomie and my other friends are all understanding of my need to hide/study. For fall semester, I usually get books and start reading as soon as they come out anyway, so by the first week of classes I've already got a few weeks of reading done.
The reading part I can handle, it's the labs I cannot afford to miss out on (my college has a low tolerance of you missing them for any reason). I don't know when my classes will be since I'm on a waiting list-my luck would be I'd sign up for Peach and have a Friday/Saturday class!

RachelSk8er
08-06-2009, 08:26 AM
Bump! Just about 20 days left! Who is going (other than Cheryl, Jocelyn, Rochelle, Erin and I)?

Mel On Ice
08-06-2009, 09:39 AM
I wish I were going just to see you guys. I'm just getting a program together - I have the first 3 seconds done - and am supporting the Buckeye/Cincinnati adult skaters again this year.

Maybe a roadtrip to Peach one year would be entertaining.

RachelSk8er
08-06-2009, 12:11 PM
I wish I were going just to see you guys. I'm just getting a program together - I have the first 3 seconds done - and am supporting the Buckeye/Cincinnati adult skaters again this year.

Maybe a roadtrip to Peach one year would be entertaining.

Yesssssssssss I can't wait til Buckeye then!

Petlover
08-06-2009, 02:20 PM
I'm going - will be in pre-bronze IV. I've already got my petsitter lined up and can't wait!

SkateTaiRandy
08-06-2009, 10:55 PM
Nevermind, sorry

skaternum
08-07-2009, 10:15 AM
Rob, how do the numbers look this year? I'm curious as to what effect the economy, etc. is having on adult comp attendance.

rlichtefeld
08-07-2009, 02:27 PM
The numbers are a bit low. But, not horrible.

They are about what they were the last 2 years.

However, the big drop occurred in 2006. We went from 96 skaters in 2005 to 51 skaters in 2006. But, we've come back up a bit since then.

2006 was the first year for the Halloween Classic. Coincidence? Think not.

In 2005 there was really only the Peach, New Years, Deborah Burgoyne, and AN. Now with Buckeye, Halloween Classic, etc. I think we are diluting each others' numbers. Adult skaters can only do so many comps each year, and you tend to do the nearest ones - less travel expenses. And, Buckeye and Halloween are after school starts and are after when most rinks go back to a fall schedule.

Rob

NoVa Sk8r
08-07-2009, 06:21 PM
2006 was the first year for the Halloween Classic. Coincidence? Think not.Just FYI: The Halloween Classic began in 2004.

flo
08-08-2009, 01:03 AM
And both the Peach and the Halloween classic are both exceptionally well run events. It's a pleasure to be a part of either.

jskater49
08-08-2009, 04:26 PM
The numbers are a bit low. But, not horrible.

They are about what they were the last 2 years.

However, the big drop occurred in 2006. We went from 96 skaters in 2005 to 51 skaters in 2006. But, we've come back up a bit since then.

2006 was the first year for the Halloween Classic. Coincidence? Think not.

In 2005 there was really only the Peach, New Years, Deborah Burgoyne, and AN. Now with Buckeye, Halloween Classic, etc. I think we are diluting each others' numbers. Adult skaters can only do so many comps each year, and you tend to do the nearest ones - less travel expenses. And, Buckeye and Halloween are after school starts and are after when most rinks go back to a fall schedule.

Rob

I disagree. There a a lot of skaters (like me) who are not going to fly somewhere to compete. I think the more adult competitions, the more adult skaters.

BTW - still waiting for the sanction for Cyclone Championships in Ames which is the same weekend as the Buckeye and we will have adult events too!

j

rlichtefeld
08-10-2009, 01:49 PM
I disagree. There a a lot of skaters (like me) who are not going to fly somewhere to compete. I think the more adult competitions, the more adult skaters.

BTW - still waiting for the sanction for Cyclone Championships in Ames which is the same weekend as the Buckeye and we will have adult events too!

j

It appears you are agreeing with me.

You said "There a a lot of skaters (like me) who are not going to fly somewhere to compete."

I said "Adult skaters can only do so many comps each year, and you tend to do the nearest ones - less travel expenses."

With a lot of all-adult competitions, you will probably have more total skaters competing at ALL events. However, that does make for fewer skaters at EACH event. Not complaining, just explaining.

I've been the chair or co-chair at the Peach for 8 of the 13 years it's been around. I keep doing it because of the adult skaters out there. And, will probably keep doing it in the future as long as there are skaters that will come.

However, I do see at some point, the numbers will be low enough that it won't make sense for our club to continue to put it on - at least near Labor Day. It seems that many adult skaters don't want to compete then, when they have other all-adult comps coming up just a month or two later - after their kids are back in school and that their own schedule has settled down after the summer.

Rob

RachelSk8er
08-11-2009, 08:01 AM
However, I do see at some point, the numbers will be low enough that it won't make sense for our club to continue to put it on - at least near Labor Day. It seems that many adult skaters don't want to compete then, when they have other all-adult comps coming up just a month or two later - after their kids are back in school and that their own schedule has settled down after the summer.

Rob

My gripe about the timing (and I'm just realizing this) is that it's in that awkward transition time between summer ice ending and fall ice not quite starting up yet. It will be quite a scramble for me to find ice the week leading up to Peach. Not your fault though, and I'll make it work.

vesperholly
08-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Two weeks away!! :D

When should we look for a schedule and practice ice, Rob?

vesperholly
08-17-2009, 09:41 PM
Schedule's out!

http://www.gafsc.org/peachclassic/2009/schedule.htm

Only me in Gold dance?! :lol: Do I skate against the book or is it an exhibition?

RachelSk8er
08-18-2009, 08:07 AM
Schedule's out!

http://www.gafsc.org/peachclassic/2009/schedule.htm

Only me in Gold dance?! :lol: Do I skate against the book or is it an exhibition?

You should just ask to do silver with Leslie and I!

Dang when I thought "I'll do gold compulsory as a good warm-up for my silver free" because I could just plug the compulsory jumps/spins into my freestyle program layout, I wasn't kidding. I'll have about 10 min in between. Hopefully enough time to change dresses :)

skaternum
08-18-2009, 09:47 AM
I like the new logo. (At least I think it's new. I don't recall seeing it last year. :D )

rlichtefeld
08-18-2009, 02:49 PM

Dang when I thought "I'll do gold compulsory as a good warm-up for my silver free" because I could just plug the compulsory jumps/spins into my freestyle program layout, I wasn't kidding. I'll have about 10 min in between. Hopefully enough time to change dresses :)

If you'd prefer to do Silver with them, we can arrange that. As long as you haven't tested too high. Also, we can have you skate first in the Comp Moves to make sure you have time between Comp Moves and Freeskate. But, you will be warm!

Rob

rlichtefeld
08-18-2009, 02:54 PM
I like the new logo. (At least I think it's new. I don't recall seeing it last year. :D )

I started putting the logo from the T-shirt company on the website.

You can see the past few years by looking at:
http://www.gafsc.org/peachclassic/2008/index.htm
http://www.gafsc.org/peachclassic/2007/index.htm

I like the one from 2007.

Rob

vesperholly
08-18-2009, 04:19 PM
I thought about that, but this might be my only chance to get these dances out on competition ice before ANs. I haven't worked on the Foxtrot or the American in at least two years. 8O

If you'd prefer to do Silver with them, we can arrange that. As long as you haven't tested too high.
I don't think so - I have my complete Silver dance test and no Pre-Golds.

I'll think about it! :)

RachelSk8er
08-19-2009, 07:18 AM
Also, we can have you skate first in the Comp Moves to make sure you have time between Comp Moves and Freeskate. But, you will be warm!

Rob

Thanks, Rob! I'd appreciate that. A few extra minutes so I can change gears and think through my silver program before I skate it would be great.

Petlover
08-19-2009, 01:50 PM
I love my pre-bronze schedule on Sunday morning - I will stay warmed up! Seriously, it works perfectly for me and I have a dress that will work for spins, comps, and jumps, so I won't need to change.

RachelSk8er
08-20-2009, 07:45 AM
I love my pre-bronze schedule on Sunday morning - I will stay warmed up! Seriously, it works perfectly for me and I have a dress that will work for spins, comps, and jumps, so I won't need to change.

I technically could wear the same dress too, but when you're an adult, there are only so many opportunities to wear a crapload of rhinestones....

Petlover
08-20-2009, 01:26 PM
I hear you :). I would have loved to wear different dresses, but it just won't work this time. Luckily, I have a couple that I just love in spite of having worn them off and on for years.

skaternum
08-21-2009, 12:16 PM
I technically could wear the same dress too, but when you're an adult, there are only so many opportunities to wear a crapload of rhinestones....

One of the main reasons I took up skating!

rlichtefeld
08-24-2009, 09:28 AM
One of the main reasons I took up skating!

:D

Rob

flying~camel
08-31-2009, 11:29 AM
So, how'd it go??

rlichtefeld
08-31-2009, 01:56 PM
So, how'd it go??

It went great. At least I think so.

I'll have the results posted when the accountant emails them to me. She got away before I could get the results copied to my thumbdrive.

And, of course the Team Maneuver Events were as wild as ever. In Gold, we had the D@mn Yankees, Will Skate for Food, Harley's Angels, and Couldn't Think of Anything. The Will Skate for Food group were washing the rink glass for change! We were throwing food to them as we went out for our elements. The skater on the D@mn Yankees did her layback holding a baseball bat!!!

The competitor's party was a little lower key that in years past. The band didn't show, but we had karaoke instead. I am no longer a karaoke virgin! I sang the "Theme from Rawhide" and "YMCA". Greg G. belted out a few ballads, and we even had Jenski singing the "Humpty Dance".

Rob

RachelSk8er
08-31-2009, 02:15 PM
The skater on the D@mn Yankees did her layback holding a baseball bat!!!

I heard she's hot.

Thanks Rob and the rest of the GA peeps for an awesome weekend!!!!

Stormy
08-31-2009, 08:21 PM
I heard she's hot.

Thanks Rob and the rest of the GA peeps for an awesome weekend!!!!

I heard that as well.

skaternum
09-01-2009, 08:31 AM
Sounds great. You guys always put on a wonderful adult comp!

Mrs Redboots
09-01-2009, 09:02 AM
One of these years - if we are still skating by the time we can next afford a trip to the US - one of these years we are soooooooo going to make that competition!

Petlover
09-03-2009, 02:23 PM
It was wonderful! Thanks Rob!

skatingatty
09-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Sounds like fun! Will there be pictures posted anywhere? I am a pregnant beached whale and haven't been able to skate since Feb., but maybe I'll be able to compete again in a few years.

Isk8NYC
09-06-2009, 09:49 PM
Sounds like fun! Will there be pictures posted anywhere? I am a pregnant beached whale and haven't been able to skate since Feb., but maybe I'll be able to compete again in a few years.
Congratulations! That's wonderful news and I hope you have an uneventful pregnancy!

sexyskates
09-08-2009, 08:08 PM
Congratulations Skatingatty!

skatingatty
09-12-2009, 11:05 PM
Thanks, everyone! I sure miss skating. Now the most I do is "swimming" since it relieves all the heavy achy feelings. I have told my husband repeatedly that after the baby is born, he will babysit so I can get back to the rink at least once a week. :)

mdvask8r
09-13-2009, 03:54 PM
. . . I have told my husband repeatedly that after the baby is born, he will babysit so I can get back to the rink at least once a week. :)
Whoa! Get the proper concept across from the beginning -- it's his child, his responsibility as much as it is yours. He will parent the child, not babysit.
I pointed this out to my dh the first time I heard him explaining to his buddies that he could not go for a beer because he had to babysit. He got a very thoughtful look on his face then agreed that what I said was absolutely true. He has shared the parenting very willingly for the last 33 years!