View Full Version : Double Salchow Troubles

Skateboy94
04-02-2009, 11:08 PM
Ok, I am up to a full year of working on the double salchow now. I get the rotation fully, but I always land on two feet. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. My guess is the entrance but again I'm not sure. I can tell that I am rotating with my feet side by side but not crossed. By the time I realize this it is too late to change anything in the air. I currently use the LFO3 entrance but I'm willing to change that.

Any advice on what I should do or what I may be doing wrong would be greatly appriciated!

flo
04-03-2009, 09:49 AM
Which foot hits first? If it's the free (left) side then your left (free) hip is too low. If it's the landing foot, then the free, it's a security tap or you are hunched forward on the landing. If so tell yourself one foot or fall.

CoachPA
04-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Ok, I am up to a full year of working on the double salchow now. I get the rotation fully, but I always land on two feet.

Without seeing your jump, my first thought would be that you're probably not rotating over the right side, which is causing your weight to be distributed between both feet upon landing.

How is your axel? Are you rotating over the right side, ankles crossed? Are you able to land this jump cleanly?

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. My guess is the entrance but again I'm not sure.

Again, it's hard to make suggestions without seeing your double sal's entrance, but focus on taking off forward completely off the left toe. Failing to do this can create a slew of problems with this jump.

Skateboy94
04-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the advice on this.

Going to what Flo said I think it very well may be the security tap problem as my right foot tends to hit before my left.

Then to CoachPA's questions about my axel is yes to all of them. I pop the jump every once and a while but it is usually clean. I agree with what you said about taking off forward completely off the left toe, I did notice when I skated this morning that the 2nd edge of my 3turn was shorter than the 1st which would lead me to believe that I am trying to take off still going completely backward.

Thanks for the great advice, I can't wait to try it when I skate next.