View Full Version : ballet class at the rink

niupartyangel
04-02-2009, 07:09 PM
Does your rink offer a ballet class? I'm just curious how different they are if it is offered in a rink vs. in an actual dance studio. Our rink offers a ballet class after the Saturday morning freestyle but curiously it is only 45 minutes long so I'm wonder what kind of workout it entails since an actual ballet technique class usually last an hour and a half. So is it usually just barre work and some stretching or do the kids get to dance in center also? And does it really cater more to skating (i.e. are arabesque positions held with the standing leg turned out for ballet or not for skating)

I'm currently taking an open adult advanced beginner class (hoping to move up to adult intermediate later in the year) and it is an hour and a half. I'm going to try my rink's ballet class next week because my dance studio is closed for spring break, and I don't want to go a week without ballet. Plus I'm walking in for free at the rink one because I purchased enough freestyle sessions. so i figured i might as well check it out 8-)

Sessy
04-03-2009, 05:30 AM
At my rink they used to have a ballet class by a Russian ballet teacher between 2 skating hours on friday. It lasted an hour.

They exchanged it for "jazz" ballet though, and that totally sucked.

Anyway, the ballet teacher was working for the past 7 years or so with skaters so the ballet technique we were taught was specifically geared towards skating, not ballet itself. Turnout, hip and back flexibility got a lot of attention, as did the hands and arms and posture. Ballet-specific techniques for spinning for example got no attention at all.

Clarice
04-03-2009, 07:01 AM
At our rink we have ballet offered twice a week, and classes last at least an hour. Like Sessy's classes, they are taught by a Russian ballet teacher, and are geared specifically towards skating. Certain things are done in "sixth position", for instance, with no turnout. The classes also incorporate quite a lot of stretching and Pilates-like strength exercises. I have found them immensely helpful in learning correct body positioning. I also work with this ballet teacher on-ice.

niupartyangel
04-03-2009, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the replies. Now i know what to expect for next week in terms of the exercises and whatnot. I wish the class was at least an hour long, $15 a pop (and that's the contract rate) seems too high for only a 45 min class, catered to skating or not. That's what my dance studio charges for drop ins and it's an hour and a half class. But if you pre-register for the session it only comes out to $12 a class.

miraclegro
04-05-2009, 06:18 PM
My class is not offered at the rink, and this is the 2nd adult ballet class at different locations that was disbanded, so i am currently in 1x week private lesson and it is $17 per lesson. I don't consider that too expensive, after all, it is cheaper than a private skating lesson and my teacher is doing it solely for me because apparently i was the only one residual from that ballet class who was open to being corrected on my technique. I am just excited to have the class at all after what i've been through!

niupartyangel
04-05-2009, 07:39 PM
That is a very good price for private instruction! i never had a private ballet lesson and if i can afford it i would be open to it. :)