View Full Version : Ice shows at your rink

niupartyangel
04-02-2009, 07:04 PM
Does your rink put on an annual show/recital? Does it charge an entry fee?

I'm doing our show again this year and for the adults it is $90. Which is actually lower than it used to be I think because of the recession and so to encourage more adults to sign up. The fee covers the costume, ice time for rehearsals and i guess the choreographer/pro's fee if they are not doing this voluntarily.

I was in the adult number last year and there were only 4 of us, which was pretty cool because it was really more of a "quartet" number rather than a group number per se compared with the kids' where there's over 10 kids sometimes in one number.

The rink also hires a professional videographer to create a DVD but it's such a rip...$30. I just had my hubby tape the whole show :P and of course there's the souvenir hoodie and pictures which are additional cost also.

Just wondering how rinks in the other parts of the country/world do their shows.

AgnesNitt
04-02-2009, 07:26 PM
We do a Christmas show. I don't know the fees, but I know that to do ladies or men's single you have to be able to do an axel (I think, any way, there's some kind of limit, you can't just sign up willy nilly). There's a special 'group performance' of the little kids in alpha. There is a 60 min. time limit--in 07 the show went two hours and no one was in the audience by the end. Since it's a Christmas show Santa and Fraulein Claus show up and do an ice dance, then sit on a podium to watch the show and lead the applause.
And we don't have no cheap-A## fake beard santa, we have a real beard Santa who teaches adult group. Fraulein Santa says it takes an hour to get him ready--fluffing the beard and setting the curls in his hair.

starskate6.0
04-02-2009, 07:48 PM
We have our annual Ice show at the end of April. We charge $10 a ticket.
Head liners this year. Belbin and Agasto ,club members ( Current World Silver Medelist ) Sold out. :bow:

jskater49
04-02-2009, 08:42 PM
We have a Holiday Gala in December where any member can sign up to skate a number to a holiday song. YOu are choose the song and the number. It costs about $10 to sign up and we charge $5 admission.

Our big Spring Show is a big deal. It can end up costing more than $200 between the sign up fees and costumes, depending on how many numbers you are in. Solos and features are awarded on the basis of how much ice time you contract. Yea I know. :P We have to do that to sell our ice. But the nice thing about it is that it means I get to do a feature because I've bought enough ice time. :D

We rent lights, we curtains, we paint backgrounds, it's good quality show. This year we are doing the Wizard of Oz on ice. I'm Auntie Em. I'm also a tree but it's not just an adult number this year - they've mixed us up for this special ice theatre.

We charge $10 admission. And we barely break even.

Joelle

niupartyangel
04-02-2009, 08:56 PM
we rent lights too and have a backdrop and all that but i'm not sure if we break even or if it's profitable. the admission is something like $5 kids and $7 for adults. if the kids sit on the laps then they are free.

there's a level limit to do "specialty numbers", such as FS2 to be in a quartet with other skaters who are at least FS2 and up, a trio would be FS3 and up, duet would be FS 4 and up and then to have a solo you have to be at least FS5 or be able to land an axel (i'm thinking there are kids who still don' thave an axel but are doing double jumps so they are allowed to do solos). It is an additional $30 if you want to do a specialty number or solo and you are responsible for buying your own costume.

but everyone in the skating school or are contract skaters are in a group number according to their age/level. since there are so few of us adults we just get lumped together but it still turns out nice even though there is such a disparity in levels.

the wizard on oz idea sounds really nice! we usually just have themes and it's nothing spectacular, it's just that all the songs fit within the category..like one year it was all show/musicals, and this year the theme is "Salute to America".

Mainemom
04-03-2009, 08:23 AM
Our skating shows are always money makers for us, and the one we just had last weekend was no exception (thank goodness). We charge $25/student to be in a Basic Skills group number, with at family cap of $40. Specialty numbers (duets, trios and solos) are $45 and you're supposed to have passed pre-juvenile FS in order to qualify for a solo. Costumes are extra but we try to keep them very cheap (the max for BS was $15, I think) but it does add up if you are in multiple numbers. The participation fees help cover the cost of the extra ice for rehearsals as well as all the extra coaching time.

We also sell ads for the program, which brings in another $1,000 or so. And we charge $5/kid, $10/adult, $25/family for admission. Yes, it gets to be expensive, but we need the money! The ice bill alone was over $2,000 between rehearsals, dress rehearsal and the actual show. With have it professionally videoed, and the DVD costs $25. We don't make money on that, just breakeven. All in all, the kids love it and it's a way to end the season.

jskater49
04-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Yes, it gets to be expensive, but we need the money! The ice bill alone was over $2,000 between rehearsals, dress rehearsal and the actual show. With have it professionally videoed, and the DVD costs $25. We don't make money on that, just breakeven. All in all, the kids love it and it's a way to end the season.

Our ice bill is closer to $5000.

Joelle

RachelSk8er
04-03-2009, 04:33 PM
If we're just doing an exhibition that everyone signs up for, no fee. No rehearsal or anything, kids get together for duos/trios/group numbers on club or city ice and put them together.

If we're doing full-out ice show production (in '05 it was a fairy tale theme, '07 was a Vegas theme, and they did Nutcracker on Ice for Christmas '07) I think it's $50, that includes costumes, and ice time and everything. No clue what they charge for tickets. I've never participated, since I don't really have time for rehearsals and all that stuff. It doesn't look like we're having one this year, but our club hosted two competitions in the past few weeks (our usual basic skills and it was our turn for the Cleveland competition that's a decent size) so we were busy with that this year.

I never had to pay to be in any shows as a kid, either, but I only participated because I was on the synchro teams and we had to. We just did our competition programs, we never put togehter anything special to fit the show theme, so we didn't need costumes, and never went to dress rehearsal or anything like that. Usually the show was a month or so after nationals so we'd have one practice the week of the show to get things back together and fill in alternates where girls couldn't be there. And we didn't even do every show (i.e. if there were 4 shows, the intermediate/senior teams would do 2 and the novice/junior teams would do the other two).