View Full Version : Music help - a dramatic tango

katz in boots
04-02-2009, 03:22 AM
My turn to ask for help with music :lol:. Got a technical competition coming up at the end of May. The music I was going to use just feels too big for my skating, so have decided to go with a tango instead. The thinking is that I can use footwork learned through ice dance, and that will help a lot with interpreting the music.

So I am after a tango which has some drama (but not car-crash dischord), highlights & lowlights, preferably a bit sultry but with a hint of fun.
I'm more the old-style tango rather than new, but not strict time like for dance.

Help! My coach is onto it, looking through her collection of tangos, but I welcome any & all suggestions cos we need to get this done now (coach is away for two weeks from this weekend) Any suggestions?

Sessy
04-02-2009, 05:12 AM
Hey, I private messaged you my email adress. Mail me. Not sure if the stuff I can point you to will be any help but hey.

BTW are vocals allowed?

Mrs Redboots
04-02-2009, 07:58 AM
"Jealousy", although it's a bit overdone. But please, please, please NOT "Roxanne", which I have heard far too often in recent years.

When we had to do a tango OD, some years ago now, we did "On this Night of a Thousand Stars" from "Evita". This year, we are doing "England 2, Columbia 0" by Kirsty McColl, which is definitely Latin, although I don't think it's quite a Tango.

LilJen
04-02-2009, 07:59 AM
Have you heard the music for Patrick Chan's SP this season? We happened to use it for a synchro dance number. It's Vanessa Mae, Tango de los Exilados. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiPEYHMBTuI

Sessy
04-02-2009, 09:53 AM
Tango de los exilados is fabs!

The Cell Block Tango is pretty funky too.

icedancer2
04-02-2009, 03:38 PM
I agree with Mrs. Redboots - "Roxanne" has been so overused that it has become "yesterday".

singerskates
04-03-2009, 01:25 AM
Tango Flamenco

dbny
04-03-2009, 01:52 PM
I think "Hernando's Hideaway" would do the job.

katz in boots
04-04-2009, 12:38 AM
I think "Hernando's Hideaway" would do the job.

yes, and I like it, but haven't found a version which would work for this. Has to be no vocals, and not strict time, needs to have more drama than usually found in strict time versions. If you know of a version, let me know!

Jealousy/Jalousie I like too. And I've found something else I like as a free download. I like it cos it's dark, but it doesn't have the highlights & lowlights really.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions, so far nothing stands out as being perfect, so feel free to add to the list.