View Full Version : Weird thoughts about testing/competing...

herniated
03-31-2009, 06:00 PM
I have very strange thoughts weeks before I test or compete. Like, for example I'm testing in 3 weeks and keep thinking 'maybe they won't get a dance judge?' 'If they don't get a dance judge then I can't test for awhile'. Or, 'hmmm, I want to skate at the rink I'm testing at to practice. What if I can't get on the session?':frus:

Or even better these were my thoughts before a recent competition. 'Maybe there won't be enough competitors and they will cancel my event?':halo: 'Maybe the building will burn down then I don't have to compete?' lol Or 'maybe the compressors will go down and there will be no ice! Oh, well!':D

Now..I would and will be very upset if the test chair can not get a dance judge(or any of the above happens) but it's like I secretly hope it will happen. Crazy huh? Sometimes I'm psychotic. 8O

Skate@Delaware
03-31-2009, 06:30 PM
I enjoy competing, but as the event nears, I'm always beating myself up for actually ENTERING the competition!!! "Why did I enter????" Why??????

It's dumb, I enjoy the thrill.

I'm also afraid I'll leave my dress or skates at home as well. Or forget to put on my makeup (THAT'S a horrible thought, as I look dreadful without it) 8O

patatty
03-31-2009, 06:56 PM
I have all kinds of crazy thoughts like that too. Now that my first adult nationals is coming up, I keep thinking, "maybe there will be a huge work emergency, or my au pair will quit, so I'll have to cancel the whole thing" Even worse, I sometimes think "maybe I'll get hurt, so I won't have to do this" Of course, with all the work I have put in, I would really regret not going, but I still get those sneaky thoughts now and then. It's just nerves. I don't think anybody likes to be nervous, especially for weeks before a big event. I know that I don't. I'll be glad when it's all over. Good luck on your tests!

jskater49
03-31-2009, 07:31 PM
I enjoy competing, but as the event nears, I'm always beating myself up for actually ENTERING the competition!!! "Why did I enter????" Why??????

It's dumb, I enjoy the thrill.

I'm also afraid I'll leave my dress or skates at home as well. Or forget to put on my makeup (THAT'S a horrible thought, as I look dreadful without it) 8O

I always regret signing up right before I have to compete. I like the idea of going to a competition. I like getting a goody bag. I like preparing for a competition. I pretty much hate the actual competition part.

Joelle

SkaterBird
03-31-2009, 11:57 PM
I don't compete that often - I compete at PreBronze level - but when I do I am excited until about a week before the actual event, and then I panic. And I am always just terrified when I go out onto the ice for my skate, but afterward I am also always glad that I did. For me, it is a question of watching others do it and wishing I could, or taking a chance and going out there myself. And to me, one of the worst things in the world is looking back and saying, "why didn't I try (whatever it is I wanted to try)." So I go for it - but with major nerves and butterflies beforehand!!!:roll:

katz in boots
04-01-2009, 05:07 PM
I always regret signing up right before I have to compete. I like the idea of going to a competition. I like getting a goody bag. I like preparing for a competition. I pretty much hate the actual competition part.

Joelle

Me too!!!
I suffer very badly from performance anxiety, yet twice a year I push myself into the only competitions we have.

I love the lead up; the drama of it all. Choosing the music, working on the program ( we get a new program each comp). Deciding on dress design, researching fabrics, making the dress etc. And the actual excitement of the event, I love cheering for all the other skaters.

For me, it is the getting out there and skating that is the worst part of any competition.

LilJen
04-01-2009, 08:19 PM
I have very strange thoughts weeks before I test or compete. Like, for example I'm testing in 3 weeks and keep thinking 'maybe they won't get a dance judge?' 'If they don't get a dance judge then I can't test for awhile'. Or, 'hmmm, I want to skate at the rink I'm testing at to practice. What if I can't get on the session?':frus:

Or even better these were my thoughts before a recent competition. 'Maybe there won't be enough competitors and they will cancel my event?':halo: 'Maybe the building will burn down then I don't have to compete?' lol Or 'maybe the compressors will go down and there will be no ice! Oh, well!':D

Now..I would and will be very upset if the test chair can not get a dance judge(or any of the above happens) but it's like I secretly hope it will happen. Crazy huh? Sometimes I'm psychotic. 8O

Heh, the dance judge thing has happened often at our rink. We have to get judges to come in from neighboring states/cities (we're a small club in podunk-nowhereville) and I had to postpone my prelim dances (not kidding--even thoguh this is the lowest test level with dance) and a friend at the rink hasn't been able to retest her Ten Fox (pre-silver, I think?) for a year because of problems getting judges. (plus, it's quite expensive to go to another club/rink and test, but I think that's what she's going to do now.)

PinkLaces
04-01-2009, 09:40 PM
Heh, the dance judge thing has happened often at our rink. We have to get judges to come in from neighboring states/cities (we're a small club in podunk-nowhereville) and I had to postpone my prelim dances (not kidding--even thoguh this is the lowest test level with dance) and a friend at the rink hasn't been able to retest her Ten Fox (pre-silver, I think?) for a year because of problems getting judges. (plus, it's quite expensive to go to another club/rink and test, but I think that's what she's going to do now.)

I just wanted to chime in about getting judges for Dance tests. I'm the Test Chair for our club. I live in a fairly large metro area. We have 7 Dance judges locally, but it's sometimes tough to get 3 of them. My last test session I could only get 2 of the 7 to come and my DD couldn't test her Bronze Dances. Hopefully, I'll get 3 for my May test session.

jskater49
04-02-2009, 07:32 AM
I just wanted to chime in about getting judges for Dance tests. I'm the Test Chair for our club. I live in a fairly large metro area. We have 7 Dance judges locally, but it's sometimes tough to get 3 of them. My last test session I could only get 2 of the 7 to come and my DD couldn't test her Bronze Dances. Hopefully, I'll get 3 for my May test session.

The only time we can get judges for tests is to test in conjunction with a competition. We only have two a year. Lately none of the judges want to stick around after the competition to judge tests. Nor do they want to be available the night before. We need the tests because a) around here there are not many test sessions. It's nice for the skaters not have to drive several hours for a test session. b) usually it's only because of the test session that we can break even for the competition.

I understand the judges have to travel a long way to get here and they want to get home...but it is frustrating.

j

herniated
04-02-2009, 11:00 AM
I hope that doesn't happen to me. Even though I fantasize about it I REALLY want to test on the 21st. I haven't heard from the test chair yet to confirm start time. But she seemed pretty confident a couple of months ago that she will get a judge. Buuutt, I've been hearing from others that my club has issues getting the dance judges. I'll find out eventually.

flikkitty11
04-07-2009, 10:57 PM
i tend to get those sort of thoughts too. i am terrified of failure... of any kind. i dont want to fail a test, i dont want to come last in a competition.

also (and probably as a result of my fear), i always, always feel completely underprepared for skating competitions so i dont want to do it.

BUT. once i get to a competition i just have to tell myself that i can do nothing more to prepare so i might as well try my hardest.

i dont hate competing however, i dont have any real friendships within the skating community here so the social part of the competition is something i dread. the kids i skate with dont tend to be the kids i want to be friends with. it can be rather #####y and shallow in the skating world and there is a culture of school and learning being unimportant (which means we tend to have not much in common). i must add that this is a GENERALIZATION and i dont mean to say at all that i hate skating people.

sorry for my sad little rant,
flik

Thin-Ice
04-08-2009, 01:17 AM
i dont want to fail a test, i dont want to come last in a competition.

I had to smile at this... since very few people (in fact, I can't think of ANY) sign up for a test wanting to fail or enter a competition thinking "Wow... I hope I come in last". :lol: But I do understand what you're saying about the nerves taking over and then just going out and doing what you committed to do the very best you can at the given time.;)

flikkitty11
04-08-2009, 01:45 AM
yeh it did sound kinda 'duh'. but for me i sometimes get to a point where, if i can land a jump consistently, i just cant bring myself to do it because im so scared to fail at it... to lose it... its really quite pathetic.

katz in boots
04-08-2009, 03:30 AM
yeh it did sound kinda 'duh'. but for me i sometimes get to a point where, if i can land a jump consistently, i just cant bring myself to do it because im so scared to fail at it... to lose it... its really quite pathetic.

Yeah. How do you take a really solid, consistent element and totally deconstruct it? Answer: plan on doing it in a program. :lol: