View Full Version : Pants for skating

isakswings
03-30-2009, 09:44 PM
do any of you or your children own skating pants/leggings? I am wondering if it is worth it for me to look into buying a pair for my daughter? I just bought her a Mondor polartec fleece jacket today. She's been needing a club jacket so I went ahead and bought the Mondor jacket and will have it embroidered with her club name and and her name too.

Anyway, the store I went to had the matching skating pants. Is it worth it to buy the pants too? We have leggings and a variety of other skating appropriate clothing but none of her leggings are made specifically for skating. They are just basic cotton leggings, so they don't wick moisture. Are skating pants worth the extra money or should we stick with basic leggings in place of them?

Thanks.

luckeylasvegas
03-30-2009, 10:24 PM
My DD likes her's quite a bit. They are thicker and warmer than regular leggins. Which is really nice if you're spending a little to much time ON the ice , if you know what I mean:D.

katz in boots
03-31-2009, 02:44 AM
from my experience, I prefer synthetic fabric like tactel or supplex over cotton for skating. The reason is that cotton absorbs a lot of moisture, which is uncomfortable, can make you cold, and tends to show. But then, I do fall over at least twice on average per session :roll:

isakswings
03-31-2009, 05:25 AM
from my experience, I prefer synthetic fabric like tactel or supplex over cotton for skating. The reason is that cotton absorbs a lot of moisture, which is uncomfortable, can make you cold, and tends to show. But then, I do fall over at least twice on average per session :roll:

My DD likes her's quite a bit. They are thicker and warmer than regular leggins. Which is really nice if you're spending a little to much time ON the ice , if you know what I mean:D.

Thanks Dd is spending pleanty of time ON the ice lately. LOL! She is working on some spins and jumps, so she's been on the ice pleanty. :) She changes her gloves often too... hee! So that ought to tell you how often she is on the ice. I think it is good though, it just means she is trying new things or working hard to perfect the stuff she DOES know.

Thanks for the opinions. I'll look into finding her some for her birthday(in May).

kayskate
03-31-2009, 07:10 AM
Myself, I wear synthetics that wick. I also recommend that students don't wear cotton especially jeans. This is particularly important for younger kids who fall often. They get wet and cold and discouraged. It amazes me how many parents send little children out on the ice w/o gloves. You wouldn't think the instructor would have to tell them to get gloves, but we do. Our LTS brochure even recommends helmet + gloves.

Kay

momof3chicks
03-31-2009, 08:45 AM
do any of you or your children own skating pants/leggings? I am wondering if it is worth it for me to look into buying a pair for my daughter? I just bought her a Mondor polartec fleece jacket today. She's been needing a club jacket so I went ahead and bought the Mondor jacket and will have it embroidered with her club name and and her name too.

Anyway, the store I went to had the matching skating pants. Is it worth it to buy the pants too? We have leggings and a variety of other skating appropriate clothing but none of her leggings are made specifically for skating. They are just basic cotton leggings, so they don't wick moisture. Are skating pants worth the extra money or should we stick with basic leggings in place of them?

Thanks.

My girls love the pants for certain rinks and certain times of year. They have the polartec type and some other less heavy ones too. They wear them alot. I think they are worth it.

isakswings
03-31-2009, 03:10 PM
Myself, I wear synthetics that wick. I also recommend that students don't wear cotton especially jeans. This is particularly important for younger kids who fall often. They get wet and cold and discouraged. It amazes me how many parents send little children out on the ice w/o gloves. You wouldn't think the instructor would have to tell them to get gloves, but we do. Our LTS brochure even recommends helmet + gloves.

Kay

The kids I laugh about are the kids who get onto the ice in a snow suit! How on earth can a kid move in a full snow suit?? LOL. As the weeks move on, you see those kids loose the snow suit and they suddenly come in comfortable but lighter clothing.

My son's junior high principal sent out a mass e-mail about a field trip one of the teams is taking this week. They are going ice skating. In the e-mail he reminds parents to have their student wear a pair of thick, warm socks. Hee hee. My 7th grader heard me tell dh this story as did my daughter. Both of them said, "THICK socks?? You don't wear thick socks to go ice skating!". LOL. My 8 y/o hockey player agreed that thick socks were not a good idea to wear in skates. Hee hee.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. Lately, dd has been wearing practice dresses or her yoga pants to skate in. She has a pair of fleece pants she also loves to wear skating, but they are getting too short! I tried to buy her a pair of thick, knit skating tights last week but her rink no longer carries them. *sigh* I was hoping those would help her stay warmer. Oh well...

isakswings
03-31-2009, 03:10 PM
My girls love the pants for certain rinks and certain times of year. They have the polartec type and some other less heavy ones too. They wear them alot. I think they are worth it.

Do you know what brand their polartech pants are?

momof3chicks
03-31-2009, 03:35 PM
Do you know what brand their polartech pants are?

I think they are from FreidaB. They are from the synchro team practice outfits.

sk8tmum
03-31-2009, 04:28 PM
It's weird, but, I find my DD skates better in a skirt; I think it's the "swish" around the hips that does it.

Anyways.

For warmth: we've taken to buying footless tights and layering them under regular skating tights. Works great.

Is your DD willing to wear tight leggings, or just looser fitting pants? For tight leggings, I highly recommend the UnderArmour Frosty Tights, they now come in little girl sizes - very very very warm, durable, and don't have any baggy bits to catch on skate blades. As they are designed for cold-weather workouts, they benefit muscles on the ice.

(BTW: be grateful, all of our skaters are addicted to the LuLuLemon empire ... and those things are UGLY for price!)

isakswings
03-31-2009, 09:39 PM
It's weird, but, I find my DD skates better in a skirt; I think it's the "swish" around the hips that does it.

Anyways.

For warmth: we've taken to buying footless tights and layering them under regular skating tights. Works great.

Is your DD willing to wear tight leggings, or just looser fitting pants? For tight leggings, I highly recommend the UnderArmour Frosty Tights, they now come in little girl sizes - very very very warm, durable, and don't have any baggy bits to catch on skate blades. As they are designed for cold-weather workouts, they benefit muscles on the ice.

(BTW: be grateful, all of our skaters are addicted to the LuLuLemon empire ... and those things are UGLY for price!)

What is LuLuLemon? LOL I prefer dd in a skirt too. I like how it looks better then pants. I don't know why, I just prefer that look over pants. That said, she needs to be warm! :) I'd really like a pair of ribbed, knit footless tights but I can't find them rightnow. UGH.

Dd likes leggings so she would absolutely wear those. I'll hae to check out the under armor stuff. Thanks!

ibreakhearts66
04-01-2009, 02:00 AM
Another idea if she likes skirts but doesn't stay warm is to layer one pair of footless tights, one pair of footed tights and one pair of OTB tights. The USFS store (http://www.icelife.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=USA&Product_Code=T3373&Category_Code=W-TT&Product_Count=9) has the ribbed, sweater tights.

I usually wear Se_ku pants, but those are quite pricey. I know a few people who wear these (http://www.amazon.com/Skating-Stretch-Polyester-Spandex-Stripe/dp/B001UCBIJO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1238569113&sr=1-1)pants and like them a lot, and they cost quite a bit less than Se_ku's, but still aren't cheap.

sk8tmum
04-01-2009, 05:37 AM
What is LuLuLemon? !

It's a Canadian-based store, now in the US and Australia. They sell yoga gear, lifestyle wear etc. The pants run around $100 CDN and up; the jackets start around there and go WAY up. The gymbags, water bottles, hairbands ... underwear ... t-shirts ... and they also sell dancewear.

The brand is now the addiction of choice on the ice around here and has been for a couple of years (and elsewhere in Ontario, from what I see at seminars and competitions) - and all you see is this little Omega symbol on the backside of about 85% of our skaters. It's great quality, and it wears well ... according to my DD, who is older than yours, they just make her backside look great ... and that's important :roll: The size 00 even fits some 6 year olds - !!! and they wear it ...

twokidsskatemom
04-01-2009, 01:21 PM
Maybe we are weird but my DD wears tight legging from target and Fred Meyers.You can see her line and they are cheap.:D

isakswings
04-01-2009, 04:22 PM
Maybe we are weird but my DD wears tight legging from target and Fred Meyers.You can see her line and they are cheap.:D

doesn't sound wierd at all! Which leggings from Target? Are they the Champion/C9 leggings? If so, I was going to buy my daughter a pair of those a couple of months ago, but the waist was so big I decided not to buy them for her. I wish she could wear the womens active wear because they have leggings I think would work great for skating. Maybe in a couple of years she will fit in the small size. I wish we had a Fred Meyer here. I LOVED Fred Meyer when we livedi n WA. :)

isakswings
04-01-2009, 04:25 PM
It's a Canadian-based store, now in the US and Australia. They sell yoga gear, lifestyle wear etc. The pants run around $100 CDN and up; the jackets start around there and go WAY up. The gymbags, water bottles, hairbands ... underwear ... t-shirts ... and they also sell dancewear.

The brand is now the addiction of choice on the ice around here and has been for a couple of years (and elsewhere in Ontario, from what I see at seminars and competitions) - and all you see is this little Omega symbol on the backside of about 85% of our skaters. It's great quality, and it wears well ... according to my DD, who is older than yours, they just make her backside look great ... and that's important :roll: The size 00 even fits some 6 year olds - !!! and they wear it ...

Thanks. I hope the addiction never makes it way here. LOL! Dd would not own any of it! I can't pay that much for clothing for her... unless it is a comp dress. Even then I try to go as least expensive as possible.