View Full Version : Dress Patterns

fsk8r
03-27-2009, 10:47 AM
Can anyone recommend some companies which do dressmaking patterns for skating / dance dresses? I've a dressmaker who is going to make a simple ice dance dress for me, but she'd like a pattern to go by (she's not worked with stretch fabric in a while so wants to get the sizing right to account for the "stretch" bit). Personally I struggle to know how to take the sewing machine out of the box so don't really know where to go look for these things.
I've got a few ideas on styles, but was wondering if there are any particularly recommended ones (I know my mother complains that some patterns don't size properly etc.).

Any help would be really appreciated, as I'm currently working my way through google and I know there are a few dressmaking people out there.

Thanks!

Skittl1321
03-27-2009, 12:51 PM
Jalie has a pattern that includes an ice dance dress length. I've made many of their patterns and been happy with all of them, with only a few changes. I don't know if these are marked for personal use only, like the "Big 4" companies, so I'm not sure if they could be used by a dressmaker specifically for a product they are planning on selling. But maybe she could use it as "inspiration" for her own pattern.

I'd be concerned about paying a dressmaker too much if she isn't comfortable with stretch fabric. Hope you are getting a deal!

ukmum
03-27-2009, 01:18 PM
I've used Jalie, Kwik Sew and Butterick. All were fine with the sizing, but I did have to change the patterns to get the exact styles I wanted. The Qwik Sew pattern is on proper paper so a bit easier to handle. If you find The Sewing Forum there is a link to a pattern block for a leotard where you enter your measurements and it makes it the right size for you. If you use this you can just add the sleeves and skirt of your choice.

fsk8r
03-27-2009, 01:34 PM
Jalie has a pattern that includes an ice dance dress length. I've made many of their patterns and been happy with all of them, with only a few changes. I don't know if these are marked for personal use only, like the "Big 4" companies, so I'm not sure if they could be used by a dressmaker specifically for a product they are planning on selling. But maybe she could use it as "inspiration" for her own pattern.

I'd be concerned about paying a dressmaker too much if she isn't comfortable with stretch fabric. Hope you are getting a deal!

I've used Jalie, Kwik Sew and Butterick. All were fine with the sizing, but I did have to change the patterns to get the exact styles I wanted. The Qwik Sew pattern is on proper paper so a bit easier to handle. If you find The Sewing Forum there is a link to a pattern block for a leotard where you enter your measurements and it makes it the right size for you. If you use this you can just add the sleeves and skirt of your choice.

Thanks for that. I'll go look at their patterns and see if I can spot anything I like.

And I'm not worried about the dressmaker, she knows what she's doing, but she's just not done skating dresses before so was wanting a leotard base to get the sizing right on the stretch fabric. I know she's good at the sewing side of things. Personally I'm hoping for a lesson in how to use the sewing machine so I can do it myself next time!

Sessy
03-27-2009, 05:23 PM
Jalie looks prettier (you might wanna ask to lower the hipline of the panties though, the leg openings tend to come very high, way over the hips) but kwiksew is easier and more comprehensibly explained.

Lengthening a skirt shouldn't be a problem for a dressmaker with any significant experience. They're usually just round circles and the only thing you have to do is add radius to make them longer (will require significantly more material usually though).

NickiT
03-27-2009, 06:23 PM
I highly recommend the Kwik Sew patterns. I use those and adapt them to suit my needs, but they're pretty easy to work with.

Nicki

Thin-Ice
03-30-2009, 02:22 AM
I also like Specialty Sportswear which has a "Skatewear" series of dresses (more than 50). Most of the skirts would need to be lengthened for ice dance, but the variety of bodices and sleeves and skirt styles is wonderful.

fsk8r
03-30-2009, 06:02 AM
I also like Specialty Sportswear which has a "Skatewear" series of dresses (more than 50). Most of the skirts would need to be lengthened for ice dance, but the variety of bodices and sleeves and skirt styles is wonderful.

Thanks for that. I'll have a look. I had narrowed down the selection to one or two from Jalie, but have to mail order it in so hadn't got around to it.

sk8lady
03-30-2009, 06:41 AM
If the Jalie patterns don't work out, look around on ebay for ballroom dance dress patterns. Several of the major pattern companies make them and it's easy to add a panty, or make dance pants, to go along with them--I used one for an ice dance program last year.

kayskate
03-31-2009, 07:12 AM
I've also made a lot of Kwik Sew patterns. They have a good selection and are easy to use. They also include all sizes in one envelope. You can trace the pattern and still have all the other sizes available if the child grows or you want to make it for someone else.

Kay