View Full Version : new ice mom

falen
03-24-2009, 06:06 PM
We are new to the sport. My dd is in basic 2 and will not be able to compete this year because of communion events. If she wants to compete, the rules say to do so at the highest level tested. So does that mean she competes first in level 1 basic, then the next competition she can compete in level 2 basic?

Thanks.

dbny
03-24-2009, 08:57 PM
Welcome to the board and to figure skating. Your daughter does not have to compete at a lower level if she has already passed a higher level test. So, if she has passed Basic 2 and is in Basic 3 by the time she is ready to compete, then she would compete in Basic 2.

Isk8NYC
03-25-2009, 08:29 AM
We are new to the sport. My dd is in basic 2 and will not be able to compete this year because of communion events. If she wants to compete, the rules say to do so at the highest level tested. So does that mean she competes first in level 1 basic, then the next competition she can compete in level 2 basic?Every Basic Skills Competition lays out their rules and deadlines in their "announcement." I picked this one for discussion: Jacksonville, FL (http://www.icejudge.com/documents/competitions/2009-jacksonville/2009/announcement.pdf)

When you look at the Jacksonville competition announcement, these deadlines are laid out in the first few pages:

Competition Date: Sunday, June 21, 2009
Entry Deadline: Monday, May 11, 2009
Test Level Deadline: Monday, May 11, 2009 *
* The Test deadline is usually the same as the entry deadline, sometimes different. It's in the "Eligibility" section of the announcement:

Eligibility will be based on skill level as of closing date of entries

This means that the skater must compete at the test level that they have PASSED by that date. (5/11/2009) If your daughter is "in Basic 2" at this point, any competitions she registers for now should be at the Basic 1 level. When she passes Basic 2, she has to "move up" to the Basic 2 competition level.

Levels become unclear is when there's a conflict between the competition test deadline and the skating school evaluation date. If the evaluation takes place just before the entry/test deadline, that can cause a problem.

I just did my group evaluations last week. There were several skaters who are competing early next month. One of the other coaches asked me to keep her student at the same level because of the competition. I pointed out that it didn't matter since the entry/test deadlines had already passed. I just evaluated the skater fairly.

falen
03-25-2009, 12:10 PM
I'm glad that she won't have to compete in two! just the last level she passed. We did not go to a formal testing that some posters are describing though. Just at the end of the semester, she got a certificate of completion. Does that count too?

Isk8NYC
03-25-2009, 12:38 PM
I'm glad that she won't have to compete in two! just the last level she passed. We did not go to a formal testing that some posters are describing though. Just at the end of the semester, she got a certificate of completion. Does that count too?
The Basic Skills program is intended to provide structure and a sense of progress to the learn-to-skate community. A group lesson or private instructor can evaluate the student and it's usually done on an informal basis during a lesson. Many skating schools give out certificates or evaluation forms, others give out badges or progress books. It varies based on the program. (I prefer the book, myself)

The USFSA also has a more formal process of testing skaters who want to go beyond the learn-to-skate levels. Those "standard track" and "adult track" tests are conducted by USFSA skating clubs (not the rink or the school). Judges are brought in to conduct the tests, and the club rents ice time from a rink.

Most people consider the Basic Skills' "Freeskate" levels to be the entry point for the standard/adult test track. Many of the elements being taught at the Freeskate levels are on the formal Pre-Preliminary and Pre-Bronze tests.

For your daughter, the Basic Skills program is perfect for her. For competitions, a coach must sign the form, so you can ask that person to evaluate her skating to determine the appropriate level.