View Full Version : Choosing a coach

rye
03-24-2009, 05:53 PM
Back skating after... oh, an appallingly long time off ice. (Less than a year I guess, so it could be worse, lol.)

Once my finances stabilize, I'd like to start taking private lessons again, but with a different coach than before. I'm not terribly advanced, sigh. What I'd like is really basic technical cleanup of edges, stroking, crossovers, and turns. Doing it in the context of MITF and/or Dance would be fine. I've passed ISI FS1, but not in the mood for jumping this year, so just taking Dance group class.

How do you go about choosing a coach?

The coach we had for group dance class this week impressed me by having us do an exercise to improve our swing rolls that really made us work our core properly hard and gave us the right feel and immediate physical confirmation for controlling our free hip and rotation. I felt like a better edge than I'd ever felt in my life. So I have this thought that maybe she knows lots more things like that to help me with basic things that have been real problems for me to feel really good with. I don't think they're rocket science either, but I've just never had a group lesson teacher explain something like that that so immediately seemed right. Plus I could follow and understand her body positions in a way that I never could with my previous coach before I took time off (from both privates & group lessons).

So should I just approach this new coach (after talking with my previous coach, of course), or are there more questions I should be asking her, or trying out several coaches, or what? How do people go about this?

dbny
03-24-2009, 08:54 PM
This coach sounds like she offers just what you are looking for, so after speaking with your old coach, you could talk with this one. Explain what you want and that you think from your group experience with her that she might be right for you and ask if she would give you a trial lesson. That's pretty much how I started with my current coach (no group, just observation), and it has worked out great in more ways than I had thought it might.

CoachPA
03-25-2009, 07:44 AM
So should I just approach this new coach (after talking with my previous coach, of course), or are there more questions I should be asking her, or trying out several coaches, or what? How do people go about this?

First make sure that this coach has time available to take you on; if so, you can set up some time for a trial lesson.

Be sure to discuss your goals and what you want to get out of your lessons and skating; lesson rate/additional fees; cancellation policies; any concerns you may have, etc. You can also ask about her coaching background; any ratings she may have; her coaching philosophy and so on.

Kim to the Max
03-25-2009, 08:00 AM
Be sure not to do things the way I did :) It has all turned out wonderfully because I absolutely LOVE my coach, however, I was just getting back into skating (had taken quite a few years off for school) in a new area of the country and didn't know any coaches in the area, so I went onto a club website, and e-mailed everyone and pretty much took the first one who responded, who happens to be my current coach. She is probably the best coach for me (in the past year and a half, I've passed Intermediate and Novice moves and my pre-Juv free, and am working on my axel to pass Juv free and have started Junior moves), but I went into the whole thing VERY blindly, I would suggest doing some research before settling on a coach. Luckily for me, karma was on my side :)

Virtualsk8r
03-25-2009, 08:49 AM
I've found Karma works wonders in the skating world! My former coaches were young, with good pedigrees but not a lot of fame when I started with them as a child - but they developed champion skaters and became Olympic level coaches. I just liked the way they worked on the ice with skaters and I liked how we communicated.

So - yes you should take a look at ratings, credentials etc....but I've found that not all "world champions' actually know how to teach, especially adults, because talented skaters rarely have to 'think' about their skills that come naturally and haven't got a clue how to break down an element into beginner size chunks.

Isk8NYC
03-25-2009, 08:57 AM
If you told your old coach that you were stopping lessons because of finances, they might be expecting you to return now that you're on a better footing. If you put yourself in your former coach's skates, how would you want to find out that your former student is talking to someone else about lessons?

I can understand the need to check the new coach's availability first, but I think it's courteous to let the old coach know beforehand that you're "exploring your options" for this season and you may change coaches. You don't have to go into detail, but I think you have completely valid reasons and your logic is great.

I've witnessed (but fortunately ONLY as a spectator) a few blowups that resulted from a skater approaching another coach about availability. It's always more comfortable when the old coach knows before the gossip hits the fan. I've been on the receiving end a few times and the directors have handled the changeover diplomatically with no hard feelings.

Just MHO as a skater, parent, and coach.

Isk8NYC
03-25-2009, 08:59 AM
Be sure not to do things the way I did...You did get lucky, lol. Good for you!

I once carefully chose the instructor that I thought was great. She was. When she showed up to teach. So sometimes you have to consider other things as well, like reliability on "the day after the night before." ROFLOL!

aussieskater
03-25-2009, 04:14 PM
If you told your old coach that you were stopping lessons because of finances, they might be expecting you to return now that you're on a better footing. If you put yourself in your former coach's skates, how would you want to find out that your former student is talking to someone else about lessons?

I can understand the need to check the new coach's availability first, but I think it's courteous to let the old coach know beforehand that you're "exploring your options" for this season and you may change coaches. You don't have to go into detail, but I think you have completely valid reasons and your logic is great.

I've witnessed (but fortunately ONLY as a spectator) a few blowups that resulted from a skater approaching another coach about availability. It's always more comfortable when the old coach knows before the gossip hits the fan. I've been on the receiving end a few times and the directors have handled the changeover diplomatically with no hard feelings.

Just MHO as a skater, parent, and coach.

Not sure I agree with you (dependent of course on what was actually said to the old coach when the lessons were stopped). The OP said s/he'd stopped lessons with the old coach nearly a year ago. Surely that length of time would be sufficient to permit the student to approach a potential fresh coach without first telling the the former coach, assuming of course that an expectation was not set that the OP would be resuming lessons with the old coach when and if s/he returned to having coaching?

Isk8NYC
03-25-2009, 05:00 PM
Not sure I agree with you (dependent of course on what was actually said to the old coach when the lessons were stopped). The OP said s/he'd stopped lessons with the old coach nearly a year ago. Surely that length of time would be sufficient to permit the student to approach a potential fresh coach without first telling the the former coach, assuming of course that an expectation was not set that the OP would be resuming lessons with the old coach when and if s/he returned to having coaching?We'll have to agree to disagree. I think courteously broaching the subject is a way to avoid what could be an uncomfortable situation. If it were two or three years, I would agree with you, but it's been "less than a year" according to the OP.

I had a student years ago that I taught privately at a seasonal rink. Her parents said she was doing a swimming team over the summer and that they'd talk to me in the Fall about starting up again. I called twice before the season started and left voice mails. When the Club reopened in the Fall, the 7-year old walked up to another coach (without her parents) and asked HER to give her private lessons. I was mortified because the other coach KNEW that I had taught the skater during the prior season.

If the parents had simply told me up front that they wanted to switch to another coach, I would have been spared some embarrassment. The other coach turned her down and privately said she was also uncomfortable with the situation.

I think that being upfront and honest is the way to go in this situation. The same would be true if you just wanted to switch to a new coach without a gap in lessons.

No one wants to be blindsided.

dbny
03-25-2009, 08:38 PM
ITA with Isk8NYC. It's just courteous to let the old coach know you are switching, and a reasonable explanation that spares feelings is also a good idea.

teresa
03-25-2009, 10:03 PM
I agree, always talk to your old coach before you make a change. Everyone needs an upfront talk. You should treat others the same way you would like to be. The skating world is a small place and things get around. Be honest. Watch before asking. Watch and listen. This is a very big decision and needs to be taken seriously. Biggest skating decision you will make.

teresa

jwrnsktr
03-27-2009, 07:48 AM
Also, I think it's a good idea to tell the new coach you'd like to try a few lessons with her to see if you're a good match. This way, if it's not working for you, you can keep your options open. I do agree with the above posts that you should let your former coach know what's going on. You will not be the first student to switch a coach, and while it is not an easy thing to do, it's better to be open about it. Good luck.

rye
04-02-2009, 05:01 PM
Thank you for all your helpful comments. I'll definitely talk to my previous coach before approaching any new coach.