View Full Version : confused on testing

sllsk8
03-23-2009, 02:31 PM
I am about to take my pre-bronze MITF and my pre-bronze freestyle test. I understand that you need to take the correspondong MITF test before you can take the freestyle test, but I am also being told that before you take the next MITF test, you have to pass the freestyle test. Is this correct? In other words, I would be able to complete the bronze and silver MITF tests before I will be able to pass the bronze freestyle test, but I am being told that I need to pass each freestyle test BEFORE you can take the next MITF test. what is correct?

sk8er1964
03-23-2009, 02:36 PM
You can take as many moves tests as you want without taking the corresponding freestyle test. For example, you could be bronze freestyle and senior moves.

skatergal
03-23-2009, 03:01 PM
The only requirement is that you have to test the moves test corresponding to the freestyle test before you take that freestyle test if that makes any sense.

Skittl1321
03-23-2009, 03:36 PM
I am about to take my pre-bronze MITF and my pre-bronze freestyle test. I understand that you need to take the correspondong MITF test before you can take the freestyle test, but I am also being told that before you take the next MITF test, you have to pass the freestyle test. Is this correct? In other words, I would be able to complete the bronze and silver MITF tests before I will be able to pass the bronze freestyle test, but I am being told that I need to pass each freestyle test BEFORE you can take the next MITF test. what is correct?

I wonder if it used to be that way- because my coach recently told me that before I did silver moves I'd have to finish bronze free. I told her she was wrong, and should double check, because I was pretty certain you could have Senior moves, but only a pre-bronze free, if you were so inclined.

TreSk8sAZ
03-23-2009, 03:39 PM
It is extremely normal for stnadard track skaters to finish their moves by the time they are juvenile or intermediate free skaters. I also know of at least one or two Adult Silver skaters that have completed senior moves. There's nothing wrong with taking the MITF before taking the lower level freeskate.

Clarice
03-23-2009, 07:40 PM
I wonder if it used to be that way- because my coach recently told me that before I did silver moves I'd have to finish bronze free. I told her she was wrong, and should double check, because I was pretty certain you could have Senior moves, but only a pre-bronze free, if you were so inclined.

No, it was never required that a free test be completed before one could go on to the next moves level. I remember being told, though, that judges didn't like to see skaters get more than two levels ahead in moves. Maybe that's where your coach got that idea.

Kim to the Max
03-23-2009, 07:45 PM
Someone had told me (RUMOR ALERT) that there was a proposal that was going through governing council to that effect so that we didn't see people with Novice moves and pre-pre free.... I was concerned because I am stuck having passed my pre-Juv free and not being able to take my Juv because I have issues with the axel, but I am currently working on my Junior moves. I have not heard if this is true or not, so please don't take this as truth.

RachelSk8er
03-23-2009, 09:27 PM
No, it was never required that a free test be completed before one could go on to the next moves level. I remember being told, though, that judges didn't like to see skaters get more than two levels ahead in moves. Maybe that's where your coach got that idea.

But ice dancers (competing with a partner wanting to pass free dance tests) and synchro skaters also have to pass moves tests. Actually MIF tests that many of the top clubs desire are higher than the USFS-imposed test requirements. Per the USFS, you only need intermediate MIF to skate on a junior team and novice MIF to skate senior, but nowadays, don't even think of trying out for the top junior/senior teams without being on or past senior.

Kim--for that reason alone, I don't think GC would pass anything limiting MIF levels based on freestyle tests. That's silly when freestyle isn't the only discipline that requires MIF tests. Even dancers not competing with a partner or testing free dance tend to work on MIF. Even though there is no requirement for them, it still helps with dance. What would they do then, force synchro skaters and ice dancers to do freestyle, too?

I *do* think there is a problem in the US that there is so much emphasis on younger skaters getting through tests without really learning how to skate. This was something we never saw back in the day with figures tests. But these juvenile and intermediate freestylers (the ones who could pass their senior free but hold back to the level where they are able to be competitive in freestyle) who are passing senior MIF and gold dance tests just don't have the quality of skating that we had with figures. They do all the turns correctly with enough speed to pass the moves tests. When it comes to the dances they pass because they do all the correct steps with the correct edges and timing. But they just lack that mesmerizing basic skating we used to see in the skaters of the 80s and earlier. I think there is some merit in slowing these kids down in terms of moves tests, but you can't impose a blanket rule that will hold back people who may not be good freestylers, are just trying to get through as many freestyle tests as they can, can't jump well enough to pass a higher test, or who don't do freestyle at all.

I'm novice MIF, adult silver free (was novice MIF and pre-pre free up until a year ago). I'll get my junior and senior MIF if I ever find the time to work on moves, but I doubt I'll ever get higher than adult gold/juv free.

Debbie S
03-23-2009, 09:32 PM
Someone had told me (RUMOR ALERT) that there was a proposal that was going through governing council to that effect so that we didn't see people with Novice moves and pre-pre freeMy guess is that this is not true, and that it probably wouldn't pass if it did get proposed. I think the USFSA TPTB are smart enough to realize that all that would do is decrease participation and membership, and ultimately revenue. I know plenty of kids who are working on high-level MIF tests and will not test beyond Prelim or Pre-Juv b/c they either have no interest in FS (doing dance or synchro) or can't get an axel. The opportunity to get a 'gold medal' in MIF or dance testing (or compete in synchro, which requires skaters to pass MIF tests) is what keeps these skaters in the sport and brings the lion's share of testing and membership money to the USFSA.

And to echo everyone's else's responses to the OP, no you don't need to take the FS test before taking the next level's MIF. I have passed Silver MIF, hope to pass Gold (and maybe Int?) someday and unless something miraculous happens to my freestyle skills, I intend to be Bronze (FS) For Life. ;)

vesperholly
03-24-2009, 04:50 AM
I highly doubt they'd ever do that, much like I doubt they'd ever put the double axel on the Senior FS, a point which was actually argued on the floor at the GC I attended years ago. I would have quit long ago if this were the case, as I am not skilled enough to pass Intermediate FS, much less Senior, but I passed Junior MIF and will be testing Senior MIF this year.

I'm not sure of when this was or the exact rule, but I have been told there used to be a time limit for taking a figures test and a freestyle test - if you passed the 6th figure in January, you would have to pass the Novice freestyle test by July or you'd have to retake the figure test as well. This affected one of my former coaches, so I'd imagine in the early 80s or before. You also used to have to have all 3 judges pass you to pass a test.

The USFSA got rid of these rules for a reason. I wish they'd do a better job of informing people of history so a new generation doesn't have to waste time arguing everything over again. Achievable goals is what keeps skaters in the sport. It's not easy to balance that with having high enough standards to make the achievement mean something.

I *do* think there is a problem in the US that there is so much emphasis on younger skaters getting through tests without really learning how to skate.

ITA. I see so many skaters get put out for moves test when they're merely competent at the moves, rather than having really mastered them, especially in Junior and Senior. The problem is both with coaches for putting out the tests, and with judges for passing them. Unfortunately you can't really isolate it to each group - judges get tired of being the Big Meanie and failing tests, plus they'll never get asked to test sessions if they fail everyone. Coaches are putting out tests way too early and generally not upholding the standards in the face of impatient skaters and impatient parents. It's a real shame.

Isk8NYC
03-24-2009, 08:56 AM
Someone had told me (RUMOR ALERT) that there was a proposal that was going through governing council to that effect so that we didn't see people with Novice moves and pre-pre free....

I was concerned because I am stuck having passed my pre-Juv free and not being able to take my Juv because I have issues with the axel, but I am currently working on my Junior moves. I have not heard if this is true or not, so please don't take this as truth.
Not a bad idea, although it might just cause skaters to delay testing MITF as well as Freestyle. I guess it's intended to cut down on alleged sandbagging.

Isk8NYC
03-24-2009, 09:00 AM
I'm not sure of when this was or the exact rule, but I have been told there used to be a time limit for taking a figures test and a freestyle test - if you passed the 6th figure in January, you would have to pass the Novice freestyle test by July or you'd have to retake the figure test as well. This affected one of my former coaches, so I'd imagine in the early 80s or before. You also used to have to have all 3 judges pass you to pass a test.I don't remember that, but you might be right.

I remember in the late 1980's you could test figures and dance in parts but there was a time limit on completing the entire test/all parts.

blue111moon
03-24-2009, 11:02 AM
I'm not sure of when this was or the exact rule, but I have been told there used to be a time limit for taking a figures test and a freestyle test - if you passed the 6th figure in January, you would have to pass the Novice freestyle test by July or you'd have to retake the figure test as well. This affected one of my former coaches, so I'd imagine in the early 80s or before. You also used to have to have all 3 judges pass you to pass a test.

I have my rulebook from 1981-82 and there's nothing in it about a time frame then.

I know there was a massive revision of tests in 1977 so maybe that's when rules changed?

RachelSk8er
03-24-2009, 11:17 AM
Not a bad idea, although it might just cause skaters to delay testing MITF as well as Freestyle. I guess it's intended to cut down on alleged sandbagging.

There's really no reason to worry about "sandbagging" now that the kids can compete test track or competitive. Most of the juvenile skaters who are landing double flips and double lutzes and the intermediate skaters with double axels (the kids typically trying to qualify for JNs) will stick to competitive, the kids who are more focused on passing their tests, having fun, but aren't aiming on being the next big star will stick to test track where they can be competitive.

This is fairly new and will take a few years to really catch on, but I think it's a much better solution than changing the test structure to accomodate what skaters are "really" doing at various test levels.

Skittl1321
03-24-2009, 01:16 PM

I think it's a horrible idea, personally. I think that intermediate or even senior moves, is in the realm of possibility for me. (It's never going to happen, but I think it COULD.) But an axel- not going to happen. Ever. Even Silver free might be a stretch that I could ever reach it. Moves tests are what I skate for.

vesperholly
03-24-2009, 01:40 PM
I know there was a massive revision of tests in 1977 so maybe that's when rules changed?
Could be - by 1981, my former coach was in Disney On Ice, so it may have been some of her earlier tests.

icedancer2
03-24-2009, 03:26 PM
I have my rulebook from 1981-82 and there's nothing in it about a time frame then.

I skated in the '60s - there were no freestyle tests until Novice, when it was paired with the figures. You had to pass the figures and then you would get to do the freestyle (sometimes you could do it the next day if they had two-day test sessions - in our private club this was sometimes the case) - if you failed the freestyle you had to do the whole test again, even if you had passed the figures.

It was a lot tougher back then - and I think we had better skaters at the top levels although there were fewer of them.