View Full Version : at what skill level do adults begin to compete??

jimjamiejames
02-13-2007, 10:58 AM
im 22 just getting into skating an love it, goin as often as i can. i start my lessons next monday and hope to advance at a decent rate. having looked at the skate uk sylibus i can do most things up to and including level 5 and a few after. i realise i will need lots of instruction an technique wont be the best but as i feel comfortable on the ice im hoping with some instruction i will be able to tidy up any faults. i dont believe i have picked up all that many bad habbits as im mindful about what i do each time i skate.

my question is at what level do amature adults begin to compete? sure i have a long way to go yet but i like to have goals and if i have something to aim at then it will help to spur me on. ive not been involved in competitive sport for many years (aside from some go-karting but thats another story) and the possibility of getting into it in the future is exciting.

Skittl1321
02-13-2007, 12:10 PM
Around here, adults can enter basic skills competitions if they want! I'm not sure if it's the same for UK.

At the iowa games this weekend we had 6 adults- 2 women were Silver test level, one man was Bronze, 2 women were pre-bronze, and one woman was "no test" but probably at the Freestyle 1/2 USFSA learn to skate level. (These are obviously US tests)

I plan to start competing as soon as I get my pre-bronze test. I know that there are competitions out there for no-test adults, but I personally would rather spend the money on lessons. It did, however, really make me feel good to watch those 6 adults out there!

Mrs Redboots
02-13-2007, 12:10 PM
The kids have to have passed their Gold passports, but that restriction doesn't normally apply to adult competitions. If you look at the basic programme requirements for the lowest levels, you'll see that you will need 4 jumps or jump elements, two spins and a step sequence covering at least half the ice surface.

I expect you'll be around Gold Passport when you start to think about that sort of competition - lower if what you want to do is dance. And your skating club probably runs closed competitions - hop step and jump, that sort of thing - that you'll be able to enter far sooner. Usually the beginner levels want 3-jump or cherry flip, upright spin and forwards spiral.

But get your SkateUK levels out of the way first. We'll be seeing you at competitions in a couple of years, no doubt.

jimjamiejames
02-13-2007, 12:28 PM
thanks guys

thats pretty much along the lines i was thinking redboots, its a way off but looking forward to getting my teeth stuck into skateuk