View Full Version : Snacks for skaters

wasamb
03-22-2009, 06:40 PM
I was just wondering if anyone has brilliant ideas of healthy or healthy-ish snacks to take to the rink?

Thanks.

herniated
03-22-2009, 07:52 PM
I love Zone bars!! They taste good and is like a balanced meal in a bar. Fudge Graham is the best.

Tennisany1
03-22-2009, 09:27 PM
Snacks are a huge issue in our house as my dd refuses to eat most packaged foods. I know it sounds funny, but she is a homemade food kind of girl and while this is good, it does get a bit trying at times when we are all in a rush. She also can't eat dairy products so that limits things quite a bit. I have discovered that a hard cooked egg and a big (I mean really big) box of cut up veggies (carrots, tomatoes, cucumber, celery...) make a great pre skate snack. Then I usually pack a cut up orange for her break along with an oatmeal cookie or two.

We have also had a problem with her not drinking enough water so I have come up with a small incentive. If she drinks her entire water bottle one day, the next day she can have flavoured water. It works really well and we no longer have those before bed head aches.

isakswings
03-23-2009, 06:49 AM
I was just wondering if anyone has brilliant ideas of healthy or healthy-ish snacks to take to the rink?

Thanks.

We do cheese sticks, yogurt, pretzels, fruit, granola bars, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, fresh veggies and other snacks too. I have to admit, not everything she takes to snack on is as healthy as it could be! We try to make it as healthy as possible but sometimes we bring a snack that isn't ideal.

Mrs Redboots
03-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Bananas. A few jelly beans (good for instant energy). One family I know used to bring slices of malt loaf spread with butter and sandwiched together for their skaters.

sk8ryellow
03-23-2009, 04:12 PM
Try bringing a Propel and a granola bar. You can never go wrong there.

wasamb
03-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Thanks for all the ideas, we were in a bit of a rut, and those vending machines are all too easy and enticing! :twisted:

ukmum
03-24-2009, 01:08 PM
We have a rule of healthy snacks first then 1 free choice. We have breakfast at the rink 3 days per week starting last week so she has quite a choice of snacks.

On a Tuesday, her long day as she does two hours before school and 2 hours after (the 2nd hour of each is fun stuff with her friends and not serious practice). She does an 8am - 4pm day at school with 1 hour of sports too during the school day so needs a lot of calories. She is now just 9 but eats like a horse despite being skinny.

Our pack for the day includes 1 refillable water bottle, 1 small flask cold milk, 1 wholemeal nutella sandwich, 1 banana, 1 cereal bar, 1 pack dried fruit, 1 pack cheddars (a mini cheese biscuit), 1 treat (small choc bar such as 2 finger kit kat). She has a full cooked 2 course lunch at school and then has a full dinner and fruit when she comes in.

I know compared to others at the rink this is a lot of food! but she seems to need it as it always all goes and she is still tiny

I think so long as you try and keep it healthy and offer them a range then they will be OK. Depends partly on age and level to of course as they need more energy in growth spurts and when they are training hard.