View Full Version : Jerry's dress sizing

isakswings
03-18-2009, 04:19 PM
I have heard Jerry's dresses run small. Does anyone have any idea how small? I've checked their sizing charts and they don't list girth, but height instead. I have found girth measurements to be the most helpful in determining what size dress to buy my daughter. Thanks in advance!

sk8tmum
03-18-2009, 06:14 PM
One of the things I've always liked about the Jerry's dresses is that their sizing is very consistent. Have you had a chance to try on any of their dresses? If you fit, say, a 6-8 in one style, you'll fit it in another. My 5'9" daughter (size 4) fits perfectly in a ladies medium ...

I actually find that the Jerry's sizing is reasonably good. Mondor, on the other hand, fits tiny; my pint-sized 4 year old outgrew a kids 6-8 that is now being worn by an average sized 3 year old - !

dbny
03-18-2009, 07:28 PM
We only bought one dress from Jerry's and it was too big. That may have been because we were already used to the tiny sizing on Capezio.

stacyf419
03-18-2009, 07:49 PM
The 2 I bought didn't run small at all - in fact they were a bit roomy.

isakswings
03-18-2009, 09:00 PM
One of the things I've always liked about the Jerry's dresses is that their sizing is very consistent. Have you had a chance to try on any of their dresses? If you fit, say, a 6-8 in one style, you'll fit it in another. My 5'9" daughter (size 4) fits perfectly in a ladies medium ...

I actually find that the Jerry's sizing is reasonably good. Mondor, on the other hand, fits tiny; my pint-sized 4 year old outgrew a kids 6-8 that is now being worn by an average sized 3 year old - !

We only bought one dress from Jerry's and it was too big. That may have been because we were already used to the tiny sizing on Capezio.

Thank you! I'm thinking of buying one for practice. :)

jp1andOnly
03-19-2009, 02:09 AM
I found mondor to be quite roomy. Jerry's are ok. I find for an adult skater the girth is a little short, but overall well sized

Kim to the Max
03-19-2009, 07:12 AM
I found mondor to be quite roomy. Jerry's are ok. I find for an adult skater the girth is a little short, but overall well sized

I agree that the girth is a bit short. We had Jerry's dresses for my synchro team this year and I always found I was trying to pull it up/down that that little bit....may have also been because it was a halter.... :)

sk8lady
03-19-2009, 08:12 AM
I wear a 6 in street clothes and the Jerry's medium fits me. I wear a large in Mondor, Capezio, and Danskin.

livestrong04
03-19-2009, 09:26 AM
I wear a 0 or 2 in street clothes, and Jerry's Small fits me just fine, all dimensions. I'm 5'2". I bought a Jerry's Medium dress once because the price was right, and it's too long in the girth and not snug/a little saggy, but it's still wearable. I don't like my clothes to be skin-tight. I wear a Small in GK-Elite and a Small in Mainstreet Dancewear as well (that one is bordering on skin tight). I tried on a Sharene dress in Small once and it was way too tight, tried a Medium and it was just right. Hope that gives you an idea of one person's experience with sizing of various brands. Happy dress shopping!

isakswings
03-19-2009, 10:20 AM
I wear a 6 in street clothes and the Jerry's medium fits me. I wear a large in Mondor, Capezio, and Danskin.

I wear a 0 or 2 in street clothes, and Jerry's Small fits me just fine, all dimensions. I'm 5'2". I bought a Jerry's Medium dress once because the price was right, and it's too long in the girth and not snug/a little saggy, but it's still wearable. I don't like my clothes to be skin-tight. I wear a Small in GK-Elite and a Small in Mainstreet Dancewear as well (that one is bordering on skin tight). I tried on a Sharene dress in Small once and it was way too tight, tried a Medium and it was just right. Hope that gives you an idea of one person's experience with sizing of various brands. Happy dress shopping!

I agree that the girth is a bit short. We had Jerry's dresses for my synchro team this year and I always found I was trying to pull it up/down that that little bit....may have also been because it was a halter.... :)

Thanks! My daughter is almost 11, but she is a small girl. For reference, she wears a size 8 in pants and usually a 10 in shirts but still fits into some size 8 shirts too. She is just under 60 pounds, so she is very thin too! Girth is my biggest concern. She's never tried a Jerry's dress before. I know about a yr ago she fit into a small GK Elite dress. Now she would likely fit into a meduim or large. Her newest comp dress is a size 6-8 but that sellers dresses must run large! he wears 10's in most skating dresses. Typically I follow the measuremets and ignore the size. Thanks again for the replies!

ukmum
03-19-2009, 10:34 AM
The poster that said the sizes are consistent was spot on. My just 9 year old is a leotard size 2. She fits perfectly in the Jerry's 8 - 10. They are quite sim fit and perhaps this is the small sizing referred to. There is a good sizing chart on the website for Jerry's.

Mrs Redboots
03-19-2009, 12:08 PM
They certainly make larger dresses - I have one that fitted me pretty well even when I was a lot fatter than I am now!

mintypoppet
03-19-2009, 12:59 PM
Jerry's are ok. I find for an adult skater the girth is a little short, but overall well sized

Agreed, I was having exactly this discussion with someone just this morning. I'm 5'4" and wear US 6 (UK 10) clothing. I have one Jerry's adult small that fits both girth and width (not skintight), and another that is too short in girth and too baggy in width. An adult medium is fine in the girth, but much too baggy in width.

isakswings
03-19-2009, 05:56 PM
The poster that said the sizes are consistent was spot on. My just 9 year old is a leotard size 2. She fits perfectly in the Jerry's 8 - 10. They are quite sim fit and perhaps this is the small sizing referred to. There is a good sizing chart on the website for Jerry's.

Thanks. Their sizing chart is good, but I don't like that the girth isn't included in the sizing chart. It's so much easier for me to figure out sizes when the girth is listed. Slim fits would be good for my dd. I just cannot figure out what size to buy her!

RachelSk8er
03-20-2009, 03:43 PM

I agree. My synchro team ordered competition dresses from them one year because we were on a tight budget and they cut us an incredible deal, and mime was a little short in the torso.

Another team I was on had practice dresses from there, I was just a last minute fill-in for an injured skater (I was already on another team but able to cross skate on 2 divisions), I borrowed the injured skater's practice dress. It was a size too big but it was actually quite comfy. It was actually ok girth-wise but just a little baggy everywhere else. Considering it was for practice anyway I'd rather have it a little big. Unofficial practice ice at a few comps that year was in hellishly cold rinks and we were allowed to put turtlenecks on underneath, so I needed room for that.

sk8tmum
03-20-2009, 05:44 PM
Another thing to consider: most of the post-ers are adults ... I've found that kids lines and adult lines are different considerations in most stock. For instance, the Mondor line - as I noted, the kids sizes are miniature, yet, in the adult lines, a Mondor small fits my daughter - who is 5'9"" tall, and a size 4 8O - and needs at least a medium in other lines. With Jerry's, she fit a ladies small at the same time she fit a kids 12-14, yet, those are two different sizes based on the charts.

I wonder if anyone here has got a kid's size Jerry's in the appropriate size who could measure the girth? I would if I could, but, I haven't got any to hand. Just a thought. Or, where are you ordering from? Could they do a girth measure for you ? Most places I deal with are pretty cooperative, as they don't want the hassle of a return ...

isakswings
03-21-2009, 12:41 AM
Another thing to consider: most of the post-ers are adults ... I've found that kids lines and adult lines are different considerations in most stock. For instance, the Mondor line - as I noted, the kids sizes are miniature, yet, in the adult lines, a Mondor small fits my daughter - who is 5'9"" tall, and a size 4 8O - and needs at least a medium in other lines. With Jerry's, she fit a ladies small at the same time she fit a kids 12-14, yet, those are two different sizes based on the charts.

I wonder if anyone here has got a kid's size Jerry's in the appropriate size who could measure the girth? I would if I could, but, I haven't got any to hand. Just a thought. Or, where are you ordering from? Could they do a girth measure for you ? Most places I deal with are pretty cooperative, as they don't want the hassle of a return ...

That's a good idea! I wish I knew someone who owned a Jerry's kids dress. Northern Ice and Dance has a bunch of dresses for 55.00. That is such a great price and I'd like to buy one but I don't know what size to buy. :)

ukmum
03-21-2009, 09:54 AM
If you post or PM me your daughters measurements then I will measure my daughters 8 - 10 and check my daughters measurements which might give you something to go on. I have to measure my daughter up for a dress I am trying to make anyway. Be warned that Jerr's new catalogue is just coming out so the dress may not even be continued. Are you in the UK? I had more success ordering from shops in the US than here.

isakswings
03-21-2009, 09:03 PM
If you post or PM me your daughters measurements then I will measure my daughters 8 - 10 and check my daughters measurements which might give you something to go on. I have to measure my daughter up for a dress I am trying to make anyway. Be warned that Jerr's new catalogue is just coming out so the dress may not even be continued. Are you in the UK? I had more success ordering from shops in the US than here.

Thanks. Dd's girth is 46 inches. Her waist is 21 inches, hips are 24 1/4 and I can't remember her chest off hand. I hav that written down on a paper I can't find. LOL!

I am in the US. :) The dresses I am considering are from 2007 and 2008.

ukmum
03-24-2009, 12:56 PM
Sorry I have been snowed under with work for the last few days! DD is at the rink tonight so I'll measure her tomorrow. How tall is your daughter?

My DD's dress was from the 2008. I can recommend figureskatingdeals.com as they got the dress to me in the UK in 6days whereas I had been waiting 4 months through a uk shop. They also have a lot of Jerry's stuff reduced at the moment! I'll be back in touch tomorrow night.

isakswings
03-24-2009, 10:50 PM
Sorry I have been snowed under with work for the last few days! DD is at the rink tonight so I'll measure her tomorrow. How tall is your daughter?

My DD's dress was from the 2008. I can recommend figureskatingdeals.com as they got the dress to me in the UK in 6days whereas I had been waiting 4 months through a uk shop. They also have a lot of Jerry's stuff reduced at the moment! I'll be back in touch tomorrow night.

Hi. I am not sure how tall she is. I think around 4 ft 6 in, but I am not 100% sure. I know her girth is 46 inches... lol. She's not a big girl. She doesn't quite weigh 60 pounds and will be 11 in May! :)

ukmum
03-25-2009, 02:18 PM
Hi

OK just measured my daughter!

Height 53"
Girth 47"
Waist 23.4
Chest 26.5

The Jerry's 2008 winter berries dress age 8 - 10 is an almost perfect fit, as if made to measure. We tried 2 other Jerry's dresses from the same season and they were also spot on in this size.

Hope this helps as you may be able to work out the correct size from these measurements.

Good luck!

isakswings
03-27-2009, 09:36 AM
Hi

OK just measured my daughter!

Height 53"
Girth 47"
Waist 23.4
Chest 26.5

The Jerry's 2008 winter berries dress age 8 - 10 is an almost perfect fit, as if made to measure. We tried 2 other Jerry's dresses from the same season and they were also spot on in this size.

Hope this helps as you may be able to work out the correct size from these measurements.

Good luck!

Thanks! That helps a lot! I was thinking of ordering her a 10/12! Looks like the 8/10 would fit my daughter. Her waist is a little smaller then your daughter and her chest is a little smaller as well but not too much!

Thanks again!

ukmum
03-27-2009, 01:13 PM
You're welcme. Far too expensive a thing to get wrong and the disappointment would be awful.