View Full Version : AN 09 Practice Ice Schedule

flying~camel
03-17-2009, 08:28 PM
I just posted the practice ice schedule for AN 2009 at http://www.ggrfsc.org/an09/event/practice.asp (http://www.ggrfsc.org/an09/event/practice.asp).

We'll be using Don Korte's online reservation system at sk8stuff.com, which he is setting up for us right now, so you'll be able to choose which sessions you want instead of us assigning them to you! :)

Please email me @ practice@ggrfsc.org if you have any questions!

WannaAxel
03-17-2009, 09:25 PM
I posted this question on the other forum too, because I'm wondering when the actual sign up process will begin. Many of us will be mailing our payment across the country to you so you may not get it for several days. Is that going to be a problem for those of us who are not near by?

Thanks for your help!

vesperholly
03-18-2009, 04:01 AM
Will there be a more detailed event schedule posted before we make reservations? If my freestyle event is at 11am, it doesn't make sense for me to buy a practice session at 6pm.

Also, do all events get 20 minute "official practice" warm-up type things? Last year was my first ANs and my first time ever having these.

flying~camel
03-18-2009, 07:16 AM
Will there be a more detailed event schedule posted before we make reservations? If my freestyle event is at 11am, it doesn't make sense for me to buy a practice session at 6pm.

I believe the chief referee is finalizing the event schedule this week, so we're hoping to get it soon!

Also, do all events get 20 minute "official practice" warm-up type things? Last year was my first ANs and my first time ever having these.

Yes, there will be official warm-ups before each event, although this year they will be 15 mins. Those will be on the event schedule once it comes out.

rlichtefeld
03-18-2009, 09:57 AM
Thanks for putting this up. One thing though. It may make it a little easier for others, if you'd put the Day/Date on each page of the PDF. When you print a few, you have to hand write what day it's for, or you get lost.

Rob

I just posted the practice ice schedule for AN 2009 at http://www.ggrfsc.org/an09/event/practice.asp (http://www.ggrfsc.org/an09/event/practice.asp).

We'll be using Don Korte's online reservation system at sk8stuff.com, which he is setting up for us right now, so you'll be able to choose which sessions you want instead of us assigning them to you! :)

Please email me @ practice@ggrfsc.org if you have any questions!

daisies
03-18-2009, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm confused about a couple of things. (I posted this on another board as well, but in case anyone else had the same questions I did, here goes again...)

1) The form to send in says no music will be played on FS or pairs sessions, only dance. So no one can do a program run-through? I thought that was the case for the 15-minute official warmups, not practice ice.

2) What if we decide which sessions we want, send in our payment, and by the time you receive the payment the sessions we want are full? We can't get a refund? I'm concerned about the lag time between choosing practice ice and payment receipt. I don't even want to send anything in until the schedule with times is out, because it's hard to choose practice times when you don't know when you're competing, but at the same time I'm afraid to wait because sessions will fill up.

Advice? Thanks!

flying~camel
03-18-2009, 12:47 PM
I answered these questions on Facebook, but figured I'd answer here, too, in case others have the same questions!

1) The form to send in says no music will be played on FS or pairs sessions, only dance. So no one can do a program run-through? I thought that was the case for the 15-minute official warmups, not practice ice.

You are correct. We will not be playing music on practice ice or official warm ups for freestyle & pairs this year. This was done at the recommendation of the chief referee.

2) What if we decide which sessions we want, send in our payment, and by the time you receive the payment the sessions we want are full? We can't get a refund? I'm concerned about the lag time between choosing practice ice and payment receipt. I don't even want to send anything in until the schedule with times is out, because it's hard to choose practice times when you don't know when you're competing, but at the same time I'm afraid to wait because sessions will fill up.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the timing. I know the chief referee is in the process of finalizing the schedule, so I can say that we're expecting it soon (I know that's a bit vague, but I don't have a concrete date/time yet).

flying~camel
03-18-2009, 03:46 PM
A few of us are putting our heads together and trying to come up with a way to play music on practice ice that is fair to everyone, so stay tuned for further updates on that topic!

Stormy
03-18-2009, 04:09 PM
Posted on FB as well, but...

Just a thought, not everyone does a run through on practice ice. With a limit of 15 skaters, say, maybe only 10 will want a run through. Or could you play the first minute of each program? At Easterns, the first minute was played on the official warm up, I'd say at the very least something like that needs to be done. I'm really glad you guys are trying to figure something out, having no music played at all is more unfair than having just some played at practice ice.

vesperholly
03-18-2009, 04:26 PM
Agreed about not everyone wants to play their music. I know I won't.

What if you collect music from everyone who wants music played at the beginning of the session, and do it alphabetically? Announce the first skater's music and the next person in line. Even if you play the first minute only, with 15 skaters on the ice, that gives you plenty of time to set up while skaters warm up.

Oh, and tell people to bring their extra copy of their program to practice sessions, as I'm sure official copies handed over when the skater checks in are probably miles away being organized.

WannaAxel
03-18-2009, 04:46 PM
We only had 30 minute practice sessions for Pacific Coast Sectionals and we had up to 20 people on them with no problems (that I know of). Some people want to run programs, others don't, so it seems to work out in the end. Playing only the first minute of a program seems silly....some people's programs are less than 2 minutes long, some are more than 3...how would that be fair? At PCAS, we handed in our music if we wanted it played, pulled a number out of a bag and that was the order....your music got played most of the time.

flying~camel
03-18-2009, 04:59 PM
We may have a system figured out (those of you who did ANs in Ann Arbor are probably familiar with it).

Once we get all of the details ironed out, I'll post the procedure.

doubletoe
03-18-2009, 05:41 PM
We only had 30 minute practice sessions for Pacific Coast Sectionals and we had up to 20 people on them with no problems (that I know of). Some people want to run programs, others don't, so it seems to work out in the end. Playing only the first minute of a program seems silly....some people's programs are less than 2 minutes long, some are more than 3...how would that be fair? At PCAS, we handed in our music if we wanted it played, pulled a number out of a bag and that was the order....your music got played most of the time.

Yep, I thought it worked well, too. Another skater did collide with me at one point, but neither of us was skating a program at the time, so that was not a factor.

TimDavidSkate
03-19-2009, 07:42 AM
I do find it helpful when they play the music for 1 min on official practices. It re-assures me on my placements. :halo:

Black Sheep
03-19-2009, 11:18 AM
I'm not sure yet if I'll actually get to utilize any of these sessions, but I think your organization is brilliant! :bow:

RachelSk8er
03-19-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm pretty much screwed out of practice ice based on when I'm getting into town Tuesday. All the bronze/silver free sessions are over by that time, only gold/masters are left. Obviously I don't really want to do a bronze/silver practice ice early Weds morning when I'm competing twice (and will have 2 warm-ups) that day. Unless by virtue of being in masters interp I'd be allowed on gold/masters sessions...

And I can't get on a dance practice session because again, by the time I get in Tues the silver practice sessions are over, and the only one after that is Weds, and it looks like it's during or right before my silver free or around the same time as my warm-up for that. There are 2 other silver I ladies in silver solo dance who will be screwed out of being able to practice for dance on that session, too.

:(

I get why it's split up, makes sense logistically, but it kind of stinks for people on tight schedules because we're trying to miss as little school or work as possible.

flying~camel
03-19-2009, 04:27 PM
I get why it's split up, makes sense logistically, but it kind of stinks for people on tight schedules because we're trying to miss as little school or work as possible.

Sorry about that! It was SO hard to try and find a good mid-point and many of the sessions were rearranged after getting the chief referee's feedback (if we had used my original schedule, pretty much all of Wednesday would have been dance, LOL!).

RachelSk8er
03-20-2009, 08:10 AM
Sorry about that! It was SO hard to try and find a good mid-point and many of the sessions were rearranged after getting the chief referee's feedback (if we had used my original schedule, pretty much all of Wednesday would have been dance, LOL!).

Well your email just solved one of my main scheduling problems :)

Serious props for handling this logistical nightmare that is ANs so well so far, especially given that one of your team members totally has much more important things to worry about that the moment :)

flying~camel
03-20-2009, 01:50 PM
A little OT, but just a reminder that if you haven't already done so, please send your competitor photo to programs@ggrfsc.org.

Send it in ASAP and you still have a chance of getting your competitor photo in the program!

sexyskates
03-25-2009, 07:56 AM
I sent my check in a week ago for the practice ice and have not received any passwords or confirmation. Has anyone been able to book their practice ice yet?

flying~camel
03-25-2009, 10:16 AM
I sent my check in a week ago for the practice ice and have not received any passwords or confirmation. Has anyone been able to book their practice ice yet?

We are waiting for Don Korte (of Sk8Stuff.com) to get it set up on his side, but he has been refereeing a ton of competitions lately, so he's a little behind.

If you PM me your name, I can verify whether I received your form & check.

WannaAxel
03-28-2009, 11:46 PM
Is there any news on when Practice Ice sign ups and Pin numbers will be sent out. Tired of checking my email constantly and just want to get signed up and be done with this part. One more thing checked off my list!

Thanks!

flying~camel
03-29-2009, 07:42 AM
Don Korte told me that he is planning on having his end up this weekend, so, as long as he does that, I'll start sending out the PINs on Monday (in the order in which the forms were received).

WannaAxel
03-29-2009, 09:30 AM
Great...thanks. I leave my poor email alone for the day! LOL!!!!

WannaAxel
04-01-2009, 01:49 PM
ANy news from Don Korte? Last weekend came and went. I know it is probably even MORE frustrating for you on that end because you got the final schedule out, got the practice ice blocked off and ready and now we're just stuck here waiting to be able to sign up, but definitely frustrating on this end too ( especially for us obsessive compulsive types...an OCD adult figure skater???? NEVER!!!!)

:frus:

flying~camel
04-01-2009, 03:36 PM
He said he will have it up tonight and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he will!

WannaAxel
04-01-2009, 05:41 PM
LOl....Okay...I will have my fingers and toes crossed! Sorry to keep bugging you about this!

Black Sheep
04-01-2009, 05:45 PM
ANy news from Don Korte? Last weekend came and went. I know it is probably even MORE frustrating for you on that end because you got the final schedule out, got the practice ice blocked off and ready and now we're just stuck here waiting to be able to sign up, but definitely frustrating on this end too ( especially for us obsessive compulsive types...an OCD adult figure skater???? NEVER!!!!)

:frus:

Join the club, WannaAxel! ;)

Terri C
04-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Okay everyone..deep breath here!
I talked with FC via chat this am and she is just as frustrated as we are regarding this, so let's have a little sympathy and patience. It'll all come together somehow.

jazzpants
04-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Okay everyone..deep breath here!
I talked with FC via chat this am and she is just as frustrated as we are regarding this, so let's have a little sympathy and patience. It'll all come together somehow.Also keep in mind that the person who is setting up the practice ice board is NOT F~C, but Don Knote of sk8stuff and it's a VERY busy board with just him running it. Please be patient with him! He's SWAMP!!!

That said, my check just got sent last night... F~C, you should get it by Saturday or Monday. Depends on how USPS is. :)

flying~camel
04-02-2009, 12:16 PM
That said, my check just got sent last night... F~C, you should get it by Saturday or Monday. Depends on how USPS is. :)

Thanks! I'll let you know when I get it (if it comes Saturday, it might be on Sunday, since I'm competing in Detroit that day)!

WannaAxel
04-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Is there any other way to set up the Practice Ice online or do you HAVE to use Don Korte's site? If he's so busy, how will he keep up with all the people signing up even when/if he does get it up? You've all done such a great job with the website and planning and preparing everything that it's such a shame to get "stuck" because of a site out of your control.

I will officially shut up about this topic and keep my anxieties to myself, just wondering if there's another way to do it....

:giveup:

daisies
04-03-2009, 08:28 PM
For future ANs, if practice ice is to be purchased online, I wonder if it would be possible for the LOC to set up PayPal, or something like that. It would alleviate a lot of paperwork on the LOCs end in terms of having to send out PINs, etc., and competitors would get exactly what they pay for, immediately.

I don't mind waiting for the PIN, but what I am a bit worried about is that the sessions I specifically want and subsequently paid for may be full by the time I'm able to log on, and there's no mechanism in place for a refund. But if the payment method is immediate -- like PayPal or another method to, say, pay by credit card would be -- you'd know right when you sign up if you can get on the session, and if you can't, you wouldn't outlay any money for it.

flying~camel
04-03-2009, 08:57 PM
It worked really well for EGL regionals this year and they used the same (almost exact) method we are using, so I'm kinda :frus:about the hold up.

WannaAxel
04-03-2009, 09:11 PM
I don't blame you, but we ALL know it's not YOUR fault. Nothing's been posted on his site for 2 days so I'm hoping that means he's working on our schedule set-up??? Trying to be hopeful here!;)

Stormy
04-04-2009, 05:14 PM
Has anyone tried to contact him directly or through his website? We're all bugging F~C and she dosen't know anything more than we do and it's not really fair we keep firing questions at her on here. I am positive as soon as she knows anything she'll post it.

Easterns used PayPal to pay for everything including the practice ice and I thought that was an excellent way to do it!! :bow: It showed all the sessions and exacty how many spots were left.

flying~camel
04-04-2009, 09:41 PM
I talked to Don today @ the competition and he has everything ready to go. I just need to double check it all and make sure nothing's missing.

So, I'd expect that it will be up & running on Monday.

WannaAxel
04-05-2009, 08:43 AM
That is GREAT news!!!! Thank you so much for checking...I'll bet you will be SO glad when this competition is over (or at leat this part!!!!)

Thanks for all your help and quick responses. You have been awesome! :D

daisies
04-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Thanks f~c!

jazzpants
04-05-2009, 12:02 PM
f~c: YAAAAY!!! Glad to hear it!!! (Which reminds me, did you get my practice ice forms???? :lol: )

flying~camel
04-05-2009, 06:28 PM
f~c: YAAAAY!!! Glad to hear it!!! (Which reminds me, did you get my practice ice forms???? :lol: )

Yes, I did! :)

Stormy
04-06-2009, 10:43 AM
Well, it's up. I clicked the send me my PIN and got an erroe message. Did that happen to anyone else yet?

phoenix
04-06-2009, 10:58 AM
Yep, I got an error too. I sent an email to Don & he said he'd check it when he's home from work tonight.

RachelSk8er
04-06-2009, 10:58 AM
Well, it's up. I clicked the send me my PIN and got an erroe message. Did that happen to anyone else yet?

Same thing happened to me. Maybe it's a conspiracy against just the two of us because people are jealous of our coolness.

daisies
04-06-2009, 01:05 PM
The posting on sk8stuff currently says, "Apr-06-09 Practice Ice Reservation for Adult Nationals will be turned on at 6:00 pm Tuesday night (Apr 7), and will remain available until 6:00 pm Sunday (Apr 19). While you wait for enablement, please visit the linked page to review the schedule and request your PIN number. (oops pin lookup broken for some people. will fix tonite)."

So he's aware of the error, but my question is: What time zone is he talking about when he refers to 6pm on Tuesday?

phoenix
04-06-2009, 01:10 PM
So he's aware of the error, but my question is: What time zone is he talking about when he refers to 6pm on Tuesday?

My guess would be Eastern, since that's his time zone.

flying~camel
04-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Yes, it's the Eastern time zone, so it'll be on at 6:00pm ET, 5:00pm CT, 4:00pm MT and 3:00pm PT. :)

WannaAxel
04-06-2009, 05:16 PM
They finally get the pins fixed and are sending them out...my email is listed with the .com backwards...it has com.!!!!! Emailed Don about it and hoping he will fix it soon. It's supposed to be jennalynn713@roadrunner.com, not roadrunnercom. Maybe it's all a sign that I'm not supposed to do Nationals this year!!!!

:frus::frus::frus::frus:

daisies
04-06-2009, 05:21 PM
They finally get the pins fixed and are sending them out...my email is listed with the .com backwards...it has com.!!!!! Emailed Don about it and hoping he will fix it soon. It's supposed to be jennalynn713@roadrunner.com, not roadrunnercom. Maybe it's all a sign that I'm not supposed to do Nationals this year!!!!

:frus::frus::frus::frus:
That which does not kill us makes us stronger. :)

WannaAxel
04-06-2009, 05:26 PM
Let me guess...you HAVE YOUR pin number! LOL! I don't know why this has gotten to me so badly this year...I'm just so stressed and little things like this push me right to that edge. I SO need a vacation!!!!

Terri C
04-06-2009, 05:40 PM
I got my PIN! I got my PIN!
Let the fun and games begin tomorrow night!

WannaAxel
04-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Don't rub it in! They messed up my email so I can't get mine....I wonder if the country will have a mass blackout tmrw at 6pm Eastern time with 500 skaters trying to get onto one site!!! LOL

daisies
04-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Let me guess...you HAVE YOUR pin number! LOL! I don't know why this has gotten to me so badly this year...I'm just so stressed and little things like this push me right to that edge. I SO need a vacation!!!!

I got mine after I posted, but the good thing in your case is there's still almost 24 hours for you to get your PIN before you can even use it, since you can't sign up till tomorrow evening anyway. I have faith all will be OK!

I think all of us should get together for a drink when this is all over! (I can almost see flying~camel nodding her head in agreement. LOL!)

WannaAxel
04-06-2009, 05:59 PM
I don't drink much...but I will down VODKA if this turns out okay!!!! LOL

daisies
04-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Don't rub it in! They messed up my email so I can't get mine....I wonder if the country will have a mass blackout tmrw at 6pm Eastern time with 500 skaters trying to get onto one site!!! LOL

Kinda like Ticketmaster, except without all the ridiculous service charges!

phoenix
04-06-2009, 06:06 PM
I still don't have mine. He sent me an email saying it was fixed over an hour ago, but still no PIN. :cry:

This is the comp. from he!! for me to, it seems. Nothing, absolutely nothing has gone right for it.

WannaAxel
04-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Make sure your email is right.....mine was right except the "dot" was AFTER the "com".....hello??!!!! Mine's still not fixed...waiting for a reply. Now I'm getting a "fatal error" message when I try (different from this morning's error message).

This is SO fun!

phoenix
04-06-2009, 06:10 PM
Make sure your email is right.....mine was right except the "dot" was AFTER the "com".....hello??!!!! Mine's still not fixed...waiting for a reply. Now I'm getting a "fatal error" message when I try (different from this morning's error message).

This is SO fun!

You're right, I just checked & they have a typo in mine too.

So, f~c, just how close is this rink to the nearest bar???!! :giveup:

flying~camel
04-06-2009, 06:27 PM
The typoes are my fault - I had to manually enter 200+ email addresses into a spreadsheet and tried to get it done fast so Don would have it. Doing this by myself + working 50 hr weeks = typoes.

Closest bar is a brewery right next door to the rink ;)

WannaAxel
04-06-2009, 06:45 PM
Don fixed my email and gave me my pin....let's drink!!! So relieved!!!!

:):):)

jskater49
04-06-2009, 08:55 PM
The typoes are my fault - I had to manually enter 200+ email addresses into a spreadsheet and tried to get it done fast so Don would have it. Doing this by myself + working 50 hr weeks = typoes.

Closest bar is a brewery right next door to the rink ;)

My deep sympathies. I have a hard enough time doing that when there's only 50 entries!

j

sexyskates
04-06-2009, 09:44 PM
I didn't get my pin. How do you repair your e mail?

flying~camel
04-07-2009, 07:29 AM
I didn't get my pin. How do you repair your e mail?

I just re-entered your email address in the system based on the email you sent to the AN email inbox. Give it another try and let me know if you don't get it, since I can look up the PINs now. :)

flo
04-07-2009, 08:21 AM
Hi,
Do partners sign up for the pair or does each sign up for their own? One paid for it, but we have two pin's.
Thanks

Clarice
04-07-2009, 08:32 AM
Am I supposed to have received my PIN by now, or are they still working their way down the list?

ETA: Never mind - I've figured out what I'm supposed to do...

flying~camel
04-07-2009, 10:51 AM
If anyone has trouble getting their PIN, please email me @ jen@ggrfsc.org and I'll look it up for you.

phoenix
04-07-2009, 05:04 PM
Woo hoo!! I'm on! Was anyone else sitting hunched over the keyboard refreshing that screen until it showed that it was open for registration? I think I've gone a bit over the edge..... anyway, I'm so glad it worked!!

flo
04-07-2009, 05:14 PM
Got our ice.
Thanks!

WannaAxel
04-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Yes...I was one of those hunched over my computer, poised and ready hitting the refresh button. Got all my ice....super easy! So relieved that it worked!!!!! Now I just have to make it through my program and I'll be ready! LOL

:P

daisies
04-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Got mine ... but I'm more interested to know how WannaAxel is doing. ;) :)

ETA: A ha, I see WannaAxel posted at the same time I did. I'm so happy everything worked out!

Thin-Ice
04-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Woo hoo!! I'm on! Was anyone else sitting hunched over the keyboard refreshing that screen until it showed that it was open for registration? I think I've gone a bit over the edge..... anyway, I'm so glad it worked!!

Nice to know I'm not the only one who obsesses about these things! Thanks to the LOC for making this possible!!! :lol: Hurray.. no standing in line to buy practice ice!!!

flying~camel
04-07-2009, 06:21 PM
I'm glad everything is working well for you!! :)

Phew, now I can cross that very big item off my to-stress about list ;)

SK8RX
04-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Signing in and selecting practice ice time process was great. No fuss, no muss. Thanks! :D

jazzpants
04-07-2009, 08:42 PM
Nice to know I'm not the only one who obsesses about these things! Thanks to the LOC for making this possible!!! :lol: Hurray.. no standing in line to buy practice ice!!!Yes, most definitely very nice system. I'm glad I got my times in....

And Thin-Ice... I'm on at least a couple of YOUR practice session too, so you'll definitely see me :P :lol: (assuming, of course, that my times with my coaches work out with them too. I did check the skating schedule and it should be fine. :) )

Terri C
04-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Yes, most definitely very nice system. I'm glad I got my times in....

And Thin-Ice... I'm on at least a couple of YOUR practice session too, so you'll definitely see me :P :lol: (assuming, of course, that my times with my coaches work out with them too. I did check the skating schedule and it should be fine. :) )

And the West Coast/ East Coast skater thing is working sooo well!! Jazz knows what I'm talking about!!

jazzpants
04-07-2009, 10:20 PM
And the West Coast/ East Coast skater thing is working sooo well!! Jazz knows what I'm talking about!!
Yes, scheduling AN stuff via the web DOES have its advantages!!! :twisted: :lol:

Thin-Ice
04-08-2009, 01:13 AM

Woo-Hoo!!! I hope it DOES work out... strange we have to travel 2000 miles to practice on the same ice!

Thin-Ice
04-08-2009, 04:31 AM
Oh and kudos to the person who allows us to see when other people practice and skate, so we can arrange our practice times around our friends' schedules.. and the schedules of skaters who are working with the same coach.. to help eliminate conflicts BEFORE we arrive. :bow:

Thanks again to everyone at the LOC for everything you're doing!

flying~camel
04-08-2009, 07:05 AM
Oh and kudos to the person who allows us to see when other people practice and skate, so we can arrange our practice times around our friends' schedules.. and the schedules of skaters who are working with the same coach.. to help eliminate conflicts BEFORE we arrive. :bow:

Thanks again to everyone at the LOC for everything you're doing!

The online system is all Don - he rocks! It would take me FOREVER to develop a system like that in my spare time!

Oh, and we are in the process of sending each person an individual email with your PIN and some additional info. Sorry if you get that after you've already signed up, but it takes a while to send out 250 emails :)

Isk8NYC
04-08-2009, 08:14 AM
The online system is all Don - he rocks! It would take me FOREVER to develop a system like that in my spare time!

Oh, and we are in the process of sending each person an individual email with your PIN and some additional info. Sorry if you get that after you've already signed up, but it takes a while to send out 250 emails :)
If you want, I can teach you how to do a personalized email mail-merge to send them out in bulk. LMK

jazzpants
04-08-2009, 12:44 PM
Woo-Hoo!!! I hope it DOES work out... strange we have to travel 2000 miles to practice on the same ice!Indeed, very strange! :lol: The last time that happened was when Berkeley was still open!!! :P :lol: (And I'm NOT going there about the "Save Berkeley Iceland" project!!! I'll believe it more when the economy is better...)

RachelSk8er
04-08-2009, 02:33 PM

Woooooooo we are on the same practice and unlike NYI there will be no deflecting of small children and banging my head on the ice.

Stormy
04-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Woooooooo we are on the same practice and unlike NYI there will be no deflecting of small children and banging my head on the ice.

Woot! Yes, no deflecting of small children who don't watch where they're going. Grrr! Or little skating princesses who yell excuse me while practicing her supercheated double toe. :roll:

phoenix
04-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Forgive me if I've missed this somewhere, but will they play music on the compulsory dance practice ice?

flying~camel
04-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Forgive me if I've missed this somewhere, but will they play music on the compulsory dance practice ice?

Yes, we will! We just got the dance music from USFS last week! :)

rlichtefeld
04-09-2009, 01:44 PM
Just to let everyone know Flying~Camel, just helped me and my partner big time.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I think that she will not be buying any drinks during the competitors' party!!!!

Hmmmm. This means I will have to stop dancing long enough to 1) find her, 2) get her order, 3) find the bar, then 4) find her <repeat> ...... I may need some help.

Now we just need to find the place for the After Party. Is there a Roomers in GR?

Great job Flying~Camel, and the rest of the LOC.

Rob

flying~camel
04-09-2009, 01:49 PM

I don't know about the rest of you, but I think that she will not be buying any drinks during the competitors' party!!!!

Hmmmm. This means I will have to stop dancing long enough to 1) find her, 2) get her order, 3) find the bar, then 4) find her <repeat> ...... I may need some help.

Now we just need to find the place for the After Party. Is there a Roomers in GR?

Great job Flying~Camel, and the rest of the LOC.

Rob

No drinks necessary, I'm just doing my "job"! Being a skater also helps, since I understand your side of the fence!

We won't need an after party location, since the Tavern & the DJ have agreed to stay as long as we want! The only thing is that, by law, they'll have to stop serving alcohol at 2am.

flo
04-09-2009, 02:06 PM
We'll be leaving before the party - we're guests in a show Saturday - so anyone who whats a party head start on Friday night let us know.

I think fc would really be flying (at first anyway) if she got a drink from everyone she's helped!

rlichtefeld
04-09-2009, 03:03 PM
We'll be leaving before the party - we're guests in a show Saturday - so anyone who whats a party head start on Friday night let us know.

I think fc would really be flying (at first anyway) if she got a drink from everyone she's helped!

Party in flo or Dennis' room on Friday night!!!!! Whoo hooo!!!

We are done at 4:00 on Friday, so that should work out fine. Thanks for the invite.

Rob

flo
04-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Ha! I'd better tell Dennis!
Looking forward to it.

vesperholly
04-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Ooh, sold! :D flo, I don't think we've met in person yet!

RachelSk8er
04-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Party in flo or Dennis' room on Friday night!!!!! Whoo hooo!!!

We are done at 4:00 on Friday, so that should work out fine. Thanks for the invite.

Rob

WOOO!! The final for one of my law classes is a paper (a motion to dismss some conspiracy charges or something like that) due at 10PM that night, so once that's emailed in, I'll be ready to have funnnnn!!! I'm hoping to have it done other than minor revisions by the 21st so I don't have to deal with it while I'm at ANs.

flo
04-10-2009, 11:36 AM
We'll celebrate a multitude of things!

sk8er1964
04-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Yes, we will! We just got the dance music from USFS last week! :)

I hope they are the ones that I like ;)

Great that the practice ice thing is working for all of you. I think flying~camel deserves a million :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

flo
04-11-2009, 02:17 PM
Change in plans! I checked with Dennis and we're leaving Friday early evening. So, party Thursday night!

jazzpants
04-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Great that the practice ice thing is working for all of you. I think flying~camel deserves a million :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:And Don Korte too!!! :bow: :bow::bow:

mikawendy
04-11-2009, 09:27 PM

How about dancing WHILE doing steps 1-4? :lol::lol::lol:

RachelSk8er
04-12-2009, 10:15 PM
I hope they are the ones that I like ;)

Seriously if I get stuck doing the 14 step to that cut of music that sounds like the theme song to Barney, I am going to scream. I think the main reason why I tested through this dance so quickly was because I couldn't stand the music. Never thought I'd have to compete it 10 years later.

rlichtefeld
04-13-2009, 08:08 AM
How about dancing WHILE doing steps 1-4? :lol::lol::lol:

Rookies:!: That's how you spill drinks. And, THAT'S not allowed.

Rob

jazzpants
04-14-2009, 03:43 PM
Rookies:!: That's how you spill drinks. And, THAT'S not allowed.Two words: Sports bottle!!! :twisted:

techskater
04-14-2009, 07:51 PM
Two words: Sports bottle!!! :twisted:

If you can show me a bar that uses sports bottles, I will frequent it for life!! :halo:

flo
04-14-2009, 08:57 PM
Hang on to those sports bottles! They are great travel martini shakers - complete with strainer!

rlichtefeld
04-15-2009, 02:08 PM
Two words: Sports bottle!!! :twisted:

Sports bottles, with the correct ingredients, are for the rink AFTER you've competed that day.

However, you'll probably have some difficulty getting a bar tender to fill up your bottle at the party. And, the party, as far as I know, is not a BYOB. A portion of the bar bill of the competitors will help pay for the party.

BTW, did you know that if you mix V8 Fusion Pomegranate and Blueberry with a little (or a lot of) Vodka, not only are you getting fruit and veggie servings, you're also carb-loading and getting anti-oxidants!!! Talk about a balanced diet.

My partner told me the other day that she is so happy that we don't skate until the afternoon/evening both days. She doesn't have to start as early that way. Lightweight!

Rob

bunnyhop1919
04-15-2009, 03:14 PM
how many hours do you skate a week?

sk8er1964
04-15-2009, 04:29 PM
BTW, did you know that if you mix V8 Fusion Pomegranate and Blueberry with a little (or a lot of) Vodka, not only are you getting fruit and veggie servings, you're also carb-loading and getting anti-oxidants!!! Talk about a balanced diet.
Rob

So, do you think this would be a good breakfast after I skate on Saturday? :halo:

flo
04-15-2009, 08:26 PM
Saturday? It would be brunch.

skaternum
04-16-2009, 08:06 AM

Using V8 Fusion instead of plain juice is a stroke of genius!! :)

Stormy
04-16-2009, 10:09 AM
Well, in a week it'll all be over for me and I can relax! I'm glad in a way to just be doing one event. :)

Don't forget guys, you're allowed to take your skates on planes now so if you're nervous like me about checking them, they ARE allowed. No WAY in heck am I checking them going to Grand Rapids. I have a layover in Cinncy, plus the time my synchro team went to GR, someone's skates were lost and she never got them back.

patatty
04-16-2009, 10:20 AM
Well, in a week it'll all be over for me and I can relax! I'm glad in a way to just be doing one event. :)

Don't forget guys, you're allowed to take your skates on planes now so if you're nervous like me about checking them, they ARE allowed. No WAY in heck am I checking them going to Grand Rapids. I have a layover in Cinncy, plus the time my synchro team went to GR, someone's skates were lost and she never got them back.

Can you really take your skates on the plane? I remember reading a bunch of threads on this forum that seemed to imply that it was rarely allowed. I have layovers both ways (Cinncinnati and Detroit), so I'm nervous about them losing my skates too.

rlichtefeld
04-16-2009, 10:40 AM
Can you really take your skates on the plane? I remember reading a bunch of threads on this forum that seemed to imply that it was rarely allowed. I have layovers both ways (Cinncinnati and Detroit), so I'm nervous about them losing my skates too.

It all depends on the airport and the TSA agent at the x-ray machine. Some airports seem to allow it, and some don't.

If they don't, you will have to exit the security area and then go back and check them. So, if you plan on carrying them on, have something you can pack them in, and have them sufficiently padded, in the case that you have to check them.

Just my $0.02

Rob

Terri C
04-16-2009, 11:23 AM
It all depends on the airport and the TSA agent at the x-ray machine. Some airports seem to allow it, and some don't.

Rob is right. Living in Military Town USA, I know that checking skates is not a option. I plan to ask United to put a priority tag on my skate bag.

Stormy
04-16-2009, 11:26 AM
Rob is right, it does really depend on the TSA in your airport, but they are on the list of allowed items. I always have a printout of the allowed list with me, but very rarely do they even ask to look at the skates and I've never ever had them denied as carry on. I've gotten my skates through Boston, Dallas, Midway, Newark, Atlanta, Raleigh, JFK, Providence, Buffalo and probably more I'm not thinking of. It is good to be prepared just in case you get some TSA person on a power trip, but it's defintiely worth a try. I don't even point out they're in the carry on, 99% of the time it just goes right through the x-ray machine and I'm on my way. I'm just too paranoid to check them, especially with a layover.

Mrs Redboots
04-16-2009, 12:47 PM
Sports bottles, with the correct ingredients, are for the rink AFTER you've competed that day.

Na, that's a hip-flask! WITH single malt.... (at least, for the Mountain Cup it's single malt - everywhere else it's bog-standard whisky!).

daisies
04-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Before I even check in, I go to the TSA gate I will eventually go through and ask to speak to the supervisor. I then explain the deal with the skates and ask if I can take them on board. Sad puppy-dog eyes help! LOL

If they say yes, I get their name and ask if they will still be there in 15 minutes, because then I have to actually go check in and come back.

If they say no, I don't have to worry about checking my skates separately from the baggage I was already intending to check.

saras
04-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Rob is right, it does really depend on the TSA in your airport, but they are on the list of allowed items. I always have a printout of the allowed list with me, but very rarely do they even ask to look at the skates and I've never ever had them denied as carry on. I've gotten my skates through Boston, Dallas, Midway, Newark, Atlanta, Raleigh, JFK, Providence, Buffalo and probably more I'm not thinking of. It is good to be prepared just in case you get some TSA person on a power trip, but it's defintiely worth a try. I don't even point out they're in the carry on, 99% of the time it just goes right through the x-ray machine and I'm on my way. I'm just too paranoid to check them, especially with a layover.

Lessee, my list of where I've got them through includes Rochester NY, JFK, Dulles, Reagan, Balt/MD, Chicago, SFO, LAX, OAK, Portland OR, and who knows where else. The two times that I have been forced to go back and check my skates were both in Rochester NY - but I've gotten them through ROC plenty of times. It's entirely up to the specific TSA agent you get - I talked to the manager of one once who said that yes, if it had been her decision she would have let them through but she couldn't go "against" her staff member. (I sorta thought that's what managers were for - to correct staff members' errors but whatever).

Try, but leave yourself time to go and check them.

RachelSk8er
04-16-2009, 06:31 PM
In the past few years, I've gotten mine through:

Cleveland
Rochester
LAX
Nashville
Providence
Boston

Sometimes they look at me like I'm strange for even wasting their time and asking if they are ok.

I've told this before, but on the way to synchro mids in 08 they let me through with skates, scissors, a screwdriver and an abundance of metal knitting needles, only to confiscate my toothpaste because it was 3.8 oz. It was hilarious.

sexyskates
04-16-2009, 08:49 PM
I called Northwest to ask about my hoop and skates. The skates had to be in checked luggage and the hoop was too big, so I UPSed it. I'm going through LaGuardia. Fairly laid back for a big airport, but too big to run around trying to get a favor (although in 2002 they let that big boxed hoop go around the X ray, after I pantomined a demonstration of what I could do with it, and they say my skates on x ray).

mikawendy
04-16-2009, 11:50 PM

...or for your friends after they have competed and are reaching for a swig of water. :lol::lol::lol:;)

I hope everyone has a great time and wonderful fun skating at AN! Wish I could be there!

vesperholly
04-17-2009, 03:29 AM
I signed up to volunteer this year and I was assigned to be practice ice monitor Tuesday night. Whee can't wait to see everyone! 8-)

rlichtefeld
04-17-2009, 08:05 AM
I signed up to volunteer this year and I was assigned to be practice ice monitor Tuesday night. Whee can't wait to see everyone! 8-)

I signed up too, but haven't heard anything back.

I guess I'll check in at Registration to see if they need help then.

Rob

rlichtefeld
04-17-2009, 08:07 AM
...or for your friends after they have competed and are reaching for a swig of water. :lol::lol::lol:;)

You mean this:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/photo.php?pid=205686&id=715596056
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Rob

NoVa Sk8r
04-17-2009, 09:57 AM
You mean this:

RobI'm taking the "trust but verify" track when it comes to you at competitions! :lol:

rlichtefeld
04-17-2009, 11:34 AM
I'm taking the "trust but verify" track when it comes to you at competitions! :lol:

You only really have to worry when Becca and I team up!

Rob

flo
04-17-2009, 11:50 AM
So you think...ha ha ha:halo:

jazzpants
04-19-2009, 02:48 AM
You mean this:
PRICELESS!!! :lol:

So you think...ha ha ha:halo:
Yes, NoVa Sk8r! Sounds like there will be plenty of vodka nips coming to you... just HOW you'll get it is the question... :halo: :P :lol:

Mrs Redboots
04-19-2009, 11:34 AM
PRICELESS!!! :lol:

Yes, NoVa Sk8r! Sounds like there will be plenty of vodka nips coming to you... just HOW you'll get it is the question... :halo: :P :lol:

But he always ends up with the most vodka. I don't know how he does it.....

Stormy
04-19-2009, 12:02 PM
Does anyone know who withdrew from the top 4 at Pacs in Championship Gold Ladies? I noticed the 5th place girl was listed under the practice ice for Champ Gold now.

NoVa Sk8r
04-19-2009, 04:04 PM
She is not skating in the championship gold ladies event--at least not by her schedule on sk8stuff (and all the other 4 PCAS qualifying ladies are listed). She probably thought the session was for any gold lady; it's her first year skating in the adult ranks. Perhaps Jen can inform her that this session is only reserved for qualifying gold lady skaters?

NoVa Sk8r
04-19-2009, 04:07 PM
But he always ends up with the most vodka. I don't know how he does it.....My pair partners (former and current) do not drink (which is surprising, considering that they have/had to put up with me!), so I get their share! :evil:

coskater64
04-19-2009, 06:13 PM
Well Nova I assume it is because you have a hollow leg or in your case foot!!8O8O

Stormy
04-19-2009, 07:07 PM
She is not skating in the championship gold ladies event--at least not by her schedule on sk8stuff (and all the other 4 PCAS qualifying ladies are listed). She probably thought the session was for any gold lady; it's her first year skating in the adult ranks. Perhaps Jen can inform her that this session is only reserved for qualifying gold lady skaters?

Gotcha. She's in my open Gold event so I was confused when I saw her on the Champ Gold practice ice.

flying~camel
04-19-2009, 09:15 PM
There were some people who scratched from Champ events, I just don't remember who they were.

manleywoman
04-20-2009, 05:25 AM
There were some people who scratched from Champ events, I just don't remember who they were.

As an alternate myself for a Champ event, I certainly hope those who are scratching are notifying the right people so that the alternates can skate!