View Full Version : 14step mohawk?

aussieskater
03-14-2009, 06:10 AM
I can do the foxtrot mohawk OK (LO closed for the non-dancers here), but the 14step mohawk (LO open) is giving me grief. I can manage it partnered (just), but not a hope solo. I have good turnout so can't use that as an excuse!

Coach says I need to think about keeping my back to the circle and my left hip back on both the entry to and exit from the mohawk, but try as I might, I find my left shoulder comes around, dropping me onto the RBI edge rather than the required RBO.

It was suggested that I practise barrel rolls in that direction to get the proper feeling for setting up the entry edge (which I've done and it worked a treat), but I also need help with the exit edge.

Any hints/ exercises anyone has to help with this one?

dbny
03-14-2009, 09:57 PM
Any hints/ exercises anyone has to help with this one?

You can try the 8-step mohawk pattern CCW. I see you're in Australia, so if you don't know the 8-step, here it is:

LFO
RFI XO
LFO opMh
RBO
LBI
RBO
LBI XF
RFI
Begin facing the circle as for FXO's
On step 2, strongly rotate your shoulders so your back is to the circle
Hold that position for the mohawk, steps 3 and 4
On step 6 rotate shoulders to face into circle in preparation for LBI XF

ibreakhearts66
03-14-2009, 11:32 PM
I haven't done the 14step, but I've done the 8-step mohawk, which is similar. One thing that helped me was to think of skating up to a point for the FO edge of the mohawk, then back down from the point on the BO edge. Also, strongly checking your shoulders, but I know you said that's giving you trouble. Perhaps thinking of the check in your back rather than your arms will help?

doubletoe
03-15-2009, 12:33 AM
In case you want to try the 8-step mohawk, here is the diagram showing the pattern and steps: http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/adultvideos/Moves%20Diagrams/Silver%201.pdf

and here is a video of an adult doing the 8-step mohawk:
Windows Media: http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/adultvideos/Videos%20for%20Web/Silver%201.wmv
RealVideo: http://www.usfigureskating.org/Programs.asp?id=316

Mrs Redboots
03-15-2009, 08:38 AM
I actually find the 14-step Mohawk a lot easier than the Foxtrot one! Partly because it's so quick. But you really do need to be absolutely facing out of the circle when you do it.

Having said that, my 14-step is pretty dire, nobody would ever take me as a model for how to do it!

phoenix
03-15-2009, 10:41 AM
Here's a good exercise for working on that mohawk in isolation:

Start from a standstill facing the wall, maybe 15-20 feet from it. Stroke onto your left foot straight toward the wall.

As you approach the wall, switch to a slight outside edge so you won't hit the wall--while at the same time keeping your shoulders/upper body facing the wall just like before. You should be seeing yourself in the glass and your shoulders should be parallel to the wall.

At the same time you do this twist in your waist, your free foot comes in, knee turned way out, to position ready to do the mohawk.

Now right when your curve is closest to the wall, you step onto the new foot & do the mohawk, and then continue in the same curve away from the wall, holding that edge until you are again 15-20 feet from the wall.

This exercise lets you do all the pieces slowly & with control. It also gives you very obvious feedback if you're on the correct edge after the mohawk.