View Full Version : Online shopping reviews

Skittl1321
03-12-2009, 12:05 PM
I wanted to give a huge BRAVO! for Rainbosports.com I ordered new ankle pads on Monday the 2nd and had them in my hands on Tuesday the 3rd. I think this is the fastest shipping I've ever recieved online.

I also want to express my disappointment in TideWaterIce.com (MDS Figure Skating). First- they have extremely slow shipping. I was beginning to think my order was lost. But then, when it arrived, I was even less happy. They advertise "Silipos Silopads" brand ankle pads on their website, but what I actually recieved were "GelSmart Pedifix Gel Tubes". An email to them told me they have sold them interchangeably for years and that they are "as good or better"- but IMO, it is completely unacceptable to advertise one brand name and ship out another. (They aren't the same- they are thicker more like Bunga pads, which do not work for me.) The company has offered a refund, very curtly, but has been slow to process it. I'm now at the point where I've told them I'll be calling the credit card company soon. If you are using bait and switch tactics, you better not stall on the refund. I've shopped at tide water ice previously, but I will not again. If you are interchanging two brands why not just sell them as "gel ankle sleeves"? Why use a brand name at all? I would have never ordered them if they weren't advertised as Silipos.

fsk8r
03-13-2009, 07:27 AM
I had a similar experience to the Rainbo one with Darlas Dresses in the UK. Their website is lovely, but they've not enabled the online purchase just yet, so you call them up, or email them and they call you. That's actually nice, talking to a real human means that they can at least advise you so there's a chance of avoiding the skating dress sizing issues. But they are equally impressive with their shipping. Phone one afternoon and it's there the next day. That's pretty impressive given that they're using the normal post service which is getting less reliable. But more impressive yet, is that they're shipping charge is actually what it really costs to post the item.
So they're one place which gets my vote.

SkatEn
03-13-2009, 12:34 PM
Since most shipping sites are based in US, I realised I have one issue. When I email the site regarding a product, they would answer. And when I state that I'm from Singapore, I would not get more replies. MDS is one site. I was so grrrrrrr...

Discount skatewear's shipping is quite expensive, but the customer service is good.

Speaking of online shopping, which do you all frequent?

fsk8r
03-13-2009, 12:38 PM
Since most shipping sites are based in US, I realised I have one issue. When I email the site regarding a product, they would answer. And when I state that I'm from Singapore, I would not get more replies. MDS is one site. I was so grrrrrrr...

Discount skatewear's shipping is quite expensive, but the customer service is good.

Speaking of online shopping, which do you all frequent?

I know the feeling! Trying to get them to quote the shipping charge is really difficult (I'm in the UK). And it's even harder to find somewhere with reasonable shipping charges.

I bought some skirts from the USFSA store (it's on the icelife website). They were really helpful and were able to email all the shipping costs for the different options. In the end they were able to ship the items to the UK by surface mail. It took about 6 weeks for the skirts to arrive, but they'd told me that in advance, but the overseas shipping rates were a lot less than they would have been if it had gone airmail, and I wasn't in a hurry.

AgnesNitt
03-13-2009, 01:21 PM
I just bought shaped elbow and knee pads from Skatingsafe.com. Pricey, but unique skate protection. Good service.

Review.
The elbow pads are FANTASTIC!

I haven't used the kneepads yet as knee pads. I (this is embarrassing) stuff them in a ski hat as padding because I've hit my head a couple of times over the last few months, and I've become leery of doing it again. I tried a helmet, but it's just too awkward on the rink and I think makes it more likely for me to fall. So far I haven't hit my head yet with my makeshift head protection, but it is a lot less confining than a helmet and gives me confidence to push a little more.

Yes I am an engineer.

SkaterBird
03-13-2009, 09:26 PM
I just bought shaped elbow and knee pads from Skatingsafe.com. Pricey, but unique skate protection. Good service.

Review.
The elbow pads are FANTASTIC!

I haven't used the kneepads yet as knee pads. I (this is embarrassing) stuff them in a ski hat as padding because I've hit my head a couple of times over the last few months, and I've become leery of doing it again. I tried a helmet, but it's just too awkward on the rink and I think makes it more likely for me to fall. So far I haven't hit my head yet with my makeshift head protection, but it is a lot less confining than a helmet and gives me confidence to push a little more.

Yes I am an engineer.

I also wear a hat with a foam pad in it when I practice or have a lesson - I hit my head on the ice recently, hard, and that pad saved me from a nasty headache at the least and possibly worse. I really do believe in head protection, except maybe during tests and competitions - it isn't wimpy, it's smart. I use concrete joint expansion foam for the pad in my hat - it is super cheap (something like $10 for a BIG roll at Menards), and more lightweight than the Skating Safe knee pads (which I wear on my knees!).