View Full Version : Skating Energy

katieskater
03-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Hello,
I have recently been sick, and it has taken alot of energy out of me.
my coach has even said i probably lost some muscle.
I can tell because skating has become very tiring for me.
I'm use to doing all my doubles and now i get very tired just skating, never mind my solo.
this is a problem because this weekend i have a big competition.
I was just wondering if there is anything i can do right now, like do or eat so i can help this problem? Thanks! :)

CoachPA
03-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Rest up...lots! Sleep can be sooo beneficial. :halo:

Also, try taking some vitamins, particularly B vitamins. I'm sure a multivitamin will help take care of whatever you're lacking.

katieskater
03-11-2009, 07:11 PM
thanks i shall..anything else?
like eating?

ibreakhearts66
03-11-2009, 07:17 PM
I would suggest eating some high-proten, low fat meals. They will give you the best energy. You could have non-fat greek yogurt with honey in it, non-fat or low-fat cottage cheese, scrambled egg whites or another egg substitue, or any other number of things. However, it's really important that whatever you eat be low in fat, or you won't get the best energy/stamina from the protein.

CoachPA
03-11-2009, 07:29 PM
I second ibreakhearts suggestion for more protein.

Don't forget about good carbs, too. Whole wheat breads, rice, and cereal are great since carbs are the body's preferred energy source. Plus, since the body takes a bit longer to process them, your blood sugar level will stay relatively stable, and in turn, so will your energy level.

Also, perhaps you can try some apples with peanut butter; nuts (almonds, hazlenuts, cashews) for protein and magnesium, which helps convert sugar into energy; fiber-rich foods such as fruits & veggies; and magnesium supplements.

Definitely avoid sugar, which can lead to a spike--followed by a plummet--in blood sugar.

And, while it may seem obvious, drink plenty of water! Dehydration zaps your energy by causing your metabolism to slow.

miraclegro
03-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Well, after i came back from a broken foot/leg, i was not as tired as i was sore from not using those muscles. But, if you've been sick, you probably just need to build up to it again......Just do short stints then add 5-10 minutes each session.

Each spinach, baked potatoes, chili, all those things along with your other healthy foods will build you back up. If you had a stomach-type thing, you lost a lot of electrolytes, which you can get back from Gatorade.

take care!