View Full Version : Change of Edge Spins

SkatEn
03-10-2009, 09:14 AM
I'm wondering how do you change edges in a spin? I was trying today, and got :giveup:...

For example, do you go from a front outside to front inside, or can you even go from a front outside to back inside? I'm quite confused with how the edge changes, and in what ways they can change.

Obviously Coach hasn't taught yet, but me being me, I want to know more (and try first :lol:).

Thanks!

dbny
03-10-2009, 09:34 AM
The basic one foot spin is a BI. If you shift your weight back it becomes a FO. The backspin is on a BO edge, and shiftiing your weight back puts you on the FI edge.

Ellyn
03-10-2009, 11:13 AM
I can only do it in a backspin, and not very well. Basically, I'm on a back outside edge and do a BO three turn in the middle of the spin onto the forward inside edge.

It's easiest for me if I start in an upright spin with my free foot behind my skating ankle, and when I turn onto the forward edge the free foot is now in front of the skating foot. If you've already got a solid back spin, this is something you could try.

I can also change edge in a back sitspin, but I can't get out of it without stopping the spin entirely and putting my other foot down.

Changing edge in a forward spin is too advanced for me yet.

SkatEn
03-10-2009, 11:42 AM
I can only do it in a backspin, and not very well. Basically, I'm on a back outside edge and do a BO three turn in the middle of the spin onto the forward inside edge.

It's easiest for me if I start in an upright spin with my free foot behind my skating ankle, and when I turn onto the forward edge the free foot is now in front of the skating foot. If you've already got a solid back spin, this is something you could try.

I can also change edge in a back sitspin, but I can't get out of it without stopping the spin entirely and putting my other foot down.

Changing edge in a forward spin is too advanced for me yet.

I managed to change edges for forward spin but couldn't figure out how I changed! When I try doing it in the backspin, I'll go on the toe pick! I'll be more aware of my free foot and see if it makes a difference.

dbny: The thing is, how...

I realise I'm changing edges for camel, and camel is something I'm still working on in terms of position. That is very unintentional, and I think it indicates poor technique...

When you change edge, you should feel a little different right?

ibreakhearts66
03-10-2009, 01:08 PM
For me, changing edges on a spin makes the spin feel completely different. I can definitely tell when I'm on a different edge.

I can change edges on all of my basic spins (except layback), so I'll try to run you through how I do them. In all CE spins, you do a 3-turn in the middle to get to the new edge.

Change edge (CE) back sits tend to be the easiest for most people to learn, but it's actually been the hardest for me (I guess because I never went through a phase of spinning on the FI edge when I first started learning it). Once you're in the back sit, drop the free hip slightly (left hip for CCW skaters), and then should pull you onto an inside edge. As you do this, you'll also feel yourself rock back towards the heel of your blade. You do not want to spin on the heel, but definitely further back than in a regular spin.

CE back camel. Personally, I bring my right arm across to in front of my body to do this one. You will also be spinning further back on your blade. Actually, you will be spinning further back on your blade on all CE spins because you are spinning on a forwards edge. The trickiest part of this spin, for me, is not falling forwards.

CE forward camel. I'm not very good at controlling these yet, but I CAN get on the outside edge. When I do it, I bring my left arm in front at the same time I push my skating foot forward to force the edge change. From there, my coaches say to focus on pulling back in the hip flexor of the skating foot so that your upper body doesn't get too far ahead of your blade. But, like I said, I have definitely not perfected this spin, so I can't explain what you should do to control it. I do two in this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz5mmHVO2kw)video at 1:30

Just a side note. Sophia Adams, a senior lady in the SWP region, has an absolutely KILLER outside edge forward camel.

CE Forward sit. I learned this by grabbing my free leg and "steering" onto the outside edge. I can now do it without holding the leg, but it helped me tremendously to hold it while I was learning. I would get into a sit spin, grab my free leg with my hands around my calf or so, then just lean to the left. This has been enough for me to get over onto the outside edge. I do one in this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDQ1rEwNyak)video at around 2:20

Sorry if my explanation for the next two aren't so great. I just kind of figured them out on my own, so I'm just trying to describe what I feel (as opposed to things my coaches may have said to help me get the spin).

CE Forward upright. I leave the free leg out to the right a little bit (CCW skater), then lean to the left, like in my sit spin. Keeping the free leg out to the side helps counterbalance the lean to the left so you don't go flying off you edge. Once I get the feeling of being on that outside edge, I can actually start to pull into a full scratch while staying on that edge. I still feel a myself leaning slightly to the left. This is one where I can really tell that I'm spinning further back on my blade than usual.

CE back upright. There are tons of different free leg positions you can use for this, but keeping the free leg out to the side seems to work best because it pulls you into the inside edge circle. If I'm doing it this way, I start with a normal back scratch entrance, but then move my leg to the left. I think it also helps me a little bit to look over the left shoulder a little bit. The free leg should pull you onto the inside edge. As you change edges, again, you'll feel yourself spinning further back on the blade.

doubletoe
03-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Great stuff! Thanks, ibreakhearts!

SkatEn
03-11-2009, 09:01 AM
For me, changing edges on a spin makes the spin feel completely different. I can definitely tell when I'm on a different edge.

CE back upright. There are tons of different free leg positions you can use for this, but keeping the free leg out to the side seems to work best because it pulls you into the inside edge circle. If I'm doing it this way, I start with a normal back scratch entrance, but then move my leg to the left. I think it also helps me a little bit to look over the left shoulder a little bit. The free leg should pull you onto the inside edge. As you change edges, again, you'll feel yourself spinning further back on the blade.

Very detailed! Thanks!
By the way, how hard are COE spins? When are they usually taught?

techskater
03-11-2009, 05:54 PM
Very detailed! Thanks!
By the way, how hard are COE spins? When are they usually taught?

COE spins are usually taught (these days) around the Prelim/PreJuv FS level here.

The best advice I ever got for COE spins was to work on figure loops. Lots and lots of figure loops (forward inside and forward outside). This is the body position required to change the edge on spins.

dbny
03-11-2009, 09:32 PM
dbny: The thing is, how...

I was answering this question:

For example, do you go from a front outside to front inside, or can you even go from a front outside to back inside? I'm quite confused with how the edge changes, and in what ways they can change.

To be even more specific, no you cannot go from a FO to a FI. Yes, you can go from a FO to a BI. My previous post gives you the changes that can be done.

RachelSk8er
03-12-2009, 06:30 PM
The best advice I ever got for COE spins was to work on figure loops. Lots and lots of figure loops (forward inside and forward outside). This is the body position required to change the edge on spins.

I second that. I'm working on trying to get the BO-FI in just a back scratch for ANs to tack on to the end of my forward sit-back sit (I'm not under IJS but most silvers don't do this so I'm trying to make myself cool despite my lack of an axel). Loops really help with getting the body position. Right now I can hold it for about 2 revs. It feels REALLY awkward but like everything, it'll get easier. A year ago I couldn't even do a back scratch.