View Full Version : Yet another sewing question...shoulder closures on dress

BuggieMom
03-07-2009, 06:29 AM
Maybe we sewers should have our own area like "Off Ice - Sewers"...hmmm???

I am looking at doing a dress with the shoulder snaps/closures that I have seen, but not really studied. I need someone to tell me if it is just as straightforward as it looks, or what. If anyone has a dress with this "entry system", could you take some closeups and post them? If you have actually done this before, advice is welcome!!!!

Also, boys pants...are they just regular lycra? Never done boys pants before, but will soon

TIA!!!

Mrs Redboots
03-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Ummm, you might want to rethink that title, it sounds rather like drains to me.

BuggieMom
03-07-2009, 04:06 PM
ha ha ha! :oops: 8O Uh, yeah, I posted that a little early in the morning for proper brain function!

how about "Off Ice - Spandexiholics" ?!?
"Off Ice - Lycra Artists" ?!?
"Off Ice - Sequins Anonymous" ?!?
"Off Ice - Those Who Are Too Cheap or Broke to Pay Crazy Prices for Skating Dresses"

:lol:

sk8tmum
03-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Also, boys pants...are they just regular lycra? Never done boys pants before, but will soon

TIA!!!

Boys pants ... not an easy task. I figured that when my mother, who is the daughter of a professional dressmaker, refused to ever make guy's pants ... Here's my few cents worth, but, I'll qualify it with the understanding that my boy is actually now getting to be more of a young man now, and is a competitive skater, meaning that we have to deal with very picky coaches, choreographers etc on clothes, so I'm likely more anal than other skating mums:

You have to be extremely careful on setting the crotch. If not, you get that lovely "web" effect on spirals, sit spins, etc. By the same token, you have to be certain that it's not too snug, or things get uncomfortable in the same positions 8O If you have it too loose in the front, you then get the swinging pouch effect when they spin or spiral ...

Don't use velcro closures on the waistband. Use something secure, because if they come un-velcroed, you have a problem with ... slide etc.

Heavier weight lycra is better for appearance, plus, it wears better. Besides, you have to sew the straps and the hooks for the skate laces on, and light weight lycra will tear potentially.

And, you don't want - cling - in certain areas, unless your boy will wear compression-type undergarments or a dancebelt. Heavier weight lycra helps with that. Also, boys don't generally wear tights, and lightweight lycra is chilly - !

In our area, we have several top-notch figure skatewear makers. However, none of them will touch guys apparel - the pants are apparently the most challenging, but, the tops, to construct properly (with attached briefs etc) are also quite difficult. I've seen many many many disasters for boys-on-ice (crotch bound, baggy crotch, butt-divide, floppy pant bottoms, appear-and-disappear socks, posing-pouch effects, shirts that ride up and display tummies, etc) and it's unfortunate. We drive 1-1/2 hours both ways to someone who does do boy's stuff and who does it very very well.

another option, if you're good with it, is just to buy stock Mondor or Twizzle pants - and go with that. Unfortunately, our DS does not fit stock, but I wish he did. I know some who also have some success with adapting dress pants, too.

HOWEVER: If you do master it, God bless you, and let the coaches/parents of other guy skaters know!!! Our coach, who is National-level and has been coaching for 45 years, is always easily able to find great makers for her girls, but, is thrilled to find someone willing and able to make the guy's stuff.

Bunny Hop
03-07-2009, 05:10 PM
Oh dear. That's alarming. I'm about to embark on making some skating trousers (won't say pants, because English people think I'm talking about underwear) for my husband. Can't buy ready made ones, firstly because they don't make them for his size (6'4") and weight, and secondly because he's allergic to most synthetic fabrics (so lycra of any sort is out completely). Getting them made not an option due to cost.

Anyway, I've found some decent weight cotton fabric with 3% elastine, so it has some stretch to it. Given that he's not likely to need to get into any really tricky positions in compulsory dance or adult beginner free dance, I'm pretty sure this will be fine. I've sewn all sorts of garments, but it's a long time since I made trousers, and they were women's ones. So any more tips on men's skating 'pants' anyone might have would be most welcome!

Otherwise, I'll let you know how I get on - but if you hear wailing and gnashing of teeth, you'll know who it is!

mamaskate
03-08-2009, 12:11 AM
I made skating pants (trousers) for my son, using black stretch velvet. I used a simple pattern with an elastic waist. They turned out well.

AgnesNitt
03-08-2009, 01:46 PM
ha ha ha! :oops: 8O Uh, yeah, I posted that a little early in the morning for proper brain function!

how about "Off Ice - Spandexiholics" ?!?
"Off Ice - Lycra Artists" ?!?
"Off Ice - Sequins Anonymous" ?!?
"Off Ice - Those Who Are Too Cheap or Broke to Pay Crazy Prices for Skating Dresses"

:lol:

Maybe "off ice--costume issues"

And as I learned from an opera costumier, costume is not pronounced 'kaas-teum', but kos-TEEOOOM (make sure you purse the lips really closely on the last syllable) when it's applied to phenomenally attractive outfits--which we all wear.

wasamb
03-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Hi, I've entered the fun and challenging world of sewing for skaters, my main customer being my DD.

Bunny Hop, I think 'elastine' may be another name for lycra. You may want to test the fabric on your husband before you go to all the trouble to make the pants,

Isk8NYC
03-09-2009, 08:47 AM
Ummm, you might want to rethink that title, it sounds rather like drains to me.

LOL! How about "On Ice - Do It Yourself" or "On Ice - Reference"? We could put the "how to mount blades" and "how to waterproof your skates" threads there too.

I sent Adrian a request asking him to consider adding a new forum. Let's see what he thinks. (It's his board, after all)

Bunny Hop
03-09-2009, 12:02 PM
Bunny Hop, I think 'elastine' may be another name for lycra. You may want to test the fabric on your husband before you go to all the trouble to make the pants,Yes, elastine makes up a substantial part of the makeup of lycra. In this case it is in such a small quantity (3%) that it shouldn't cause an issue. The main thing was getting most of the fabric as natural fibre - a little bit of polyester is usually okay.

If not - I guess I get to remake the trousers for my own use!:lol: