View Full Version : Stabilizer - another sewing question

katz in boots
03-07-2009, 01:41 AM
Okay, so from prev thread I now know how I want to construct this dress. There will be glitter velvet overlaid on a mesh then overlaid over the nude mesh.

Question this time is; what sort of stabilizer would be best to keep the layers firm while I zig-zag the different layers together? Also thinking that the velvet may curl a little unless I stabilise it.

I like the idea of the wash away type, that dissolves in water. Thanks to a previous thread here, I have discoverred the wonders of wondertape, but am wondering what would work best here.

Ideas anyone?

BuggieMom
03-07-2009, 06:14 AM
I first spray the back of the velvet with a temp. washaway adhesive, like Sulky KK2000, then stick it to the mesh layer. That keeps the layers together without the need to pin. In this way, the velvet is firm enough that I have not had to use a stabilizer, and the velvet doesn't curl. But if I wanted to use a stabilizer, I would put it as the bottom layer (a light spray of the adhesive helps here also), then just sew away! If you use a tearaway, be careful tearing it away, you could rip a stitch or pull the fabric too much. If your fabric ever gets wavy or stretched out of shape, a good steam from the iron should get it back into shape. Never touch velvet with a hot iron, though! The nap will crush!

Be sure and try out your technique on some scraps first, get comfortable with it before you jump in. It saves a lot of hassle sometimes!

CanadianAdult
03-07-2009, 02:53 PM
505 spray (http://www.sprayandfix.com/505.html)

katz in boots
03-10-2009, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, both those sprays look like they'd work for this project. Only problem is, being aerosol sprays, I can't get them through the post. As I live in a rather small place, I'm probably going to have to order online.

Can anyone suggest something that might work, that isn't a spray?

Skate@Delaware
03-13-2009, 06:08 PM
you should be able to get them down there-check with your quilting stores as they are both widely used in quilting.

katz in boots
03-14-2009, 02:23 AM
Thanks! I was surprised to find that you can buy an aerosol product here, sold for quilters to baste stuff. I tried it and didn't like it - messy and doesn't firm the fabric for cutting.

But I've answered my own question. I was longing for something like Vlisofix, which I've used before for non-stretch applique work. I didn't think it'd work but as I had a small amount on hand, I tried it.

Vlisofix is the answer! It does stretch enough for the job. What's more, once ironed on, you can over-stretch it to release it's bond. So once I've done the applique work, I can free up the fabric and it won't interfere with it stretching. Plus it holds the fabric firm for cutting out accurately, so it is definitely what I was searching for, and I can buy that here, by the metre.

I've been looking at a site for rhythmic gymnastics costumes and am amazed at the designs they can make on the basic dress with appliques:

http://www.illusioncostumes.com/illusion/products/in_stock_gymnastics.php

Anyway, I've got the fabric now, arrived yesterday, have drafted the pattern, and am ready to begin.

NickiT
03-14-2009, 04:27 AM
I'm so glad I read this post! I had struggled to pin overlaid pieces when making dresses before, but after reading this, I ordered some 505 spray! I started to sew my daughter's dress yesterday and this made it so much easier to keep the overlaid parts stable before sewing them together!

Nicki

Skate@Delaware
03-14-2009, 11:43 AM
oh great! I'm trying to finish up my posting and emails so I can get some homework and studying done and now this distraction :P LOL!

Mrs Redboots
03-14-2009, 11:44 AM
I've been looking at a site for rhythmic gymnastics costumes and am amazed at the designs they can make on the basic dress with appliques:

http://www.illusioncostumes.com/illusion/products/in_stock_gymnastics.php
Rhythmic gymnasts seem to wear skating dresses - at least, they could double for them, I think.

Good luck with the sewing.

katz in boots
03-15-2009, 02:19 AM
Rhythmic gymnasts seem to wear skating dresses - at least, they could double for them, I think.

except that they have flat skirts, yes, very much the same. At the last summer olympics I was astounded at the dresses the rhythmic gymnasts wore, they were incredible, which is why I started looking at sites for their costumes for inspiration !