View Full Version : BITA Skating Clinics Sheffield

antmanb
03-06-2009, 06:04 AM
Just a quick query to anyone out there who has been to one of these in the past.

I'm thinking of booking onto one and just wondering what people thought, whether they're worth the money etc.

Thanks
Ant

NickiT
03-06-2009, 07:42 AM
I went to one a couple of years back and thoroughly enjoyed it. Unfortunately I can't make the one in April as it clashes with the Bracknell Opens in which both my daughter and I are competiting. Shame because I'd have loved to go back for another camp up in Sheffield.

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
03-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Coach was recommending it to us this year, but as we are hoping to do Bracknell (Nicki, when do the schedules come out, do you know?), and are also taking a few days' leave at the end of this month to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary, it simply can't be done.

NickiT
03-06-2009, 05:03 PM
Annabel, they should be out anytime soon. Lesley spoke to the referee at the British last week and they've been received by her. Just waiting on her approval then they can go out.

As for the camp, it's a shame they didn't think about the Bracknell Opens when they scheduled it, but there you go. Hopefully there'll be more camps in the future!

Nicki

antmanb
03-09-2009, 05:13 AM
One of my "concerns" was about the amount of ice dance that might form part of the clinic but i spoke to the organisers who said you are grouped by discipline and ability so if you don't dance you won't have to!

All good - just waiting for payday to write out the cheque!

Ant

NickiT
03-09-2009, 06:41 AM
Hey Ant, if they run it as they did before you go by discipline as you say, and also grouped together according to standard. It's worth doing - I came away with some helpful tips that I could put into practice back home.

Nicki

antmanb
03-09-2009, 10:47 AM
It does sound great. I attended a few clinic at the NIC nottingham which were very good and these sound similar.

I have decided to book myself onto it as a kick start to get my skating back on track after a couple of years of stagnation and motivation problems.

Will let you know how it goes! Thanks for everyone's input.

Ant

enakn
03-10-2009, 06:55 AM
Nottingham asked me recently whether interested in a possible Adult clinic 23/24 May. They've not committed to anything yet - just sounding out support I guess, but I'll try to remember to post if I hear anything more.

NickiT
03-10-2009, 08:02 AM
Hmmmm...I wish these camp organisers would take into account adult competitions when they arrange their dates. The Nottingham one is way too close to Oberstdorf so if it does run on those dates, I won't make that one either.

Nicki

antmanb
03-11-2009, 05:23 AM
Nottingham asked me recently whether interested in a possible Adult clinic 23/24 May. They've not committed to anything yet - just sounding out support I guess, but I'll try to remember to post if I hear anything more.

I would definitely go back to the NIC clinics. Running them on the weekend is a big bonus for me. Part of the problem with weighing up the Sheffield one was the two days holiday i'd have to take to attend. Though if that is the bank holiday weekend i might have to give it a miss.

Ant

Mrs Redboots
03-11-2009, 07:47 AM
Hmmmm...I wish these camp organisers would take into account adult competitions when they arrange their dates. The Nottingham one is way too close to Oberstdorf so if it does run on those dates, I won't make that one either.

Nicki

Are you doing Oberstdorf?! We're almost definitely going to watch this year - Husband refuses to compete there and I'm not good enough, but we'll be in the cheering section!

It might be worth emailing the organisers with the dates of the competitions as we know them, so they know when to avoid.

NickiT
03-11-2009, 09:46 AM
Are you doing Oberstdorf?! We're almost definitely going to watch this year - Husband refuses to compete there and I'm not good enough, but we'll be in the cheering section!

It might be worth emailing the organisers with the dates of the competitions as we know them, so they know when to avoid.

I'm certainly hoping to go this year! It would be great to have you there in the cheering section!

As for the camp - it doesn't actually clash, but being within days of Oberstdorf, I simply couldn't do both. I think my husband would definitely put his foot down with regards to taking time off work to look after the kids! And then there's the financial implications of doing both too!

Nicki

antmanb
03-17-2009, 07:06 AM
Well i've signed up for the skating clinic and am very excited about it. is anyone else from here going?

Ant

WhiteBoots30
03-20-2009, 02:11 PM
I hope that Nottingham do decide to have a camp. I have been on two there before and they were great but they have not had one for a while now. As a teacher, I can't take time off to attend weekday courses so the camps at Sheffield, though they sound good, are no use to me.

enakn
04-22-2009, 12:43 PM
The NIC website now has an Adult camp on the schedule-spreadsheet for 23/24 May so looking more likely....

enakn
04-25-2009, 01:09 PM
A coach has confirmed this to me now as well. Suggest anybody interested gives NIC sports reception a call.

antmanb
04-28-2009, 04:04 AM
It's a shame it's not on the weekend like previous NIC camps have been, otherwise i would have been tempted. As it is I can't really have another two days off again so soon.

Ant

fsk8r
04-28-2009, 04:28 AM
The NIC website now has an Adult camp on the schedule-spreadsheet for 23/24 May so looking more likely....

It's a shame it's not on the weekend like previous NIC camps have been, otherwise i would have been tempted. As it is I can't really have another two days off again so soon.

Ant

23/24 May is a weekend. Looks like the bank holiday if I'm reading the calender correctly. Sounds like an interesting idea, if I'm not going away for a long weekend of no ice.

Anyone notice that NISA are having a seminar for adults in September to tell us how to put our programs together and have it in Sheffield the day before the Bristol open. I don't like driving to Sheffield in the first place, but having to go from their to Bristol ain't going to happen. Why don't they check the calender before scheduling these things?

antmanb
04-28-2009, 06:12 AM
23/24 May is a weekend. Looks like the bank holiday if I'm reading the calender correctly. Sounds like an interesting idea, if I'm not going away for a long weekend of no ice.

:giveup: I'm an idiot! I was looknig at the dates but in the April sqaure ni teh calendar not the May part :lol:

I will definitely look into now its on the weekend!

Ant