View Full Version : AN 09 Tentative Schedule

flying~camel
03-05-2009, 06:55 PM
The tentative schedule for AN 2009 is now available!

http://www.ggrfsc.org/an09/event/schedule.asp

The event group listings are also available at http://www.ggrfsc.org/an09/forms.

RachelSk8er
03-05-2009, 07:03 PM
Can anyone elaborate on solo dance? I saw groups were split, and based on who I know in the silver groups and where they are at age/test wise, it's seemingly random, not by age, nor by test. (A skater my age and my exact test level--as in passed all the dances in our level--is in the other group, another skater older than me who just qualified is in the other group too, and a skater younger than me who just qualified test-wise is in my group.)

Will A and B each do the first dance for the initial round, and will the final round be based on placement in that dance? Or are they just two totally separate, randomly drawn groups (with two sets of medals handed out)?

flying~camel
03-05-2009, 08:00 PM
Can anyone elaborate on solo dance? I saw groups were split, and based on who I know in the silver groups it's seemingly random, not by age, nor by test.

Will A and B each do the first dance for the initial round, and will the final round be based on placement in that dance? Or are they just two totally separate, randomly drawn groups (with two sets of medals handed out)?

I believe the 2 groups will be separate, with separate medals (like interp), but don't quote me that ;)

phoenix
03-05-2009, 08:36 PM
I believe the 2 groups will be separate, with separate medals (like interp), but don't quote me that ;)

Wow, that's a shame. Maybe it's just me. :cry:

If they had to do separate groups, why wouldn't they do it by age or test, as rachelsk8er mentioned?

Stormy
03-05-2009, 08:50 PM
I love my group. :)

I'll admit, I am glad I am out of Silver I, those girls are kickass! :bow:

TimDavidSkate
03-05-2009, 09:42 PM
I'm slotted on Wednesday :halo: and only 2 other...so its a toss up with Gold, Silver and Bronze 8O

flo
03-05-2009, 10:36 PM
We have 7 in gold pairs.

sk8er1964
03-05-2009, 10:57 PM
Schedule wise, happy happy happy! I only have to take one day off work. 8-)

vesperholly
03-05-2009, 11:49 PM
Can anyone elaborate on solo dance? I saw groups were split, and based on who I know in the silver groups and where they are at age/test wise, it's seemingly random, not by age, nor by test. (A skater my age and my exact test level--as in passed all the dances in our level--is in the other group, another skater older than me who just qualified is in the other group too, and a skater younger than me who just qualified test-wise is in my group.)

I know, I was really surprised to see myself in A and you, Rochelle and Kara in B! You and I are the exact same test level, having passed all our Silvers, and Kara's got two Pre-Silvers. I wonder if, being 28, I barely squeaked into the older group? The only names I recognize in my group are Sara and Julie, and I know they're older than me. You, Rochelle and Kara are all younger than me. I would really love to know the rationale. Gold Ladies II has 15 skaters and wasn't split. Groups at Regionals can go up to 18 by the rulebook.

I'm somewhat terrified that Silver Ladies I is going to be extremely early AM on Wednesday. It's good that it will be over fast, and then I can enjoy the rest of the week, but skating in the AM isn't my strength. 11 girls in our group is great, though!

manleywoman
03-06-2009, 10:41 AM
It's the first year for Solo Dance. I'm sure there will be a bit of a learning curve for everyone as to how to best split the groups.

I'm pleased to see that the mens' groups look pretty healthy! I had some conversations about how some were nervous that adding Int/Nov would split up the already-thin ranks of men. But the groups look okay!

flying~camel
03-06-2009, 10:48 AM

From the referee, RE: how the groups were split:

The solo dance events were divided strictly by age. It seemed to be the most fair with the diverse group of skaters in those events.

Wayne Hundley
Chief Referee

flo
03-06-2009, 12:08 PM
I'll be happy when we have enough (if ever) in gold pairs for an age split.
This year we have a 22 year old and her novice level partner competing in the same group with pairs 3 times their age and with significantly different test levels.

daisies
03-06-2009, 02:24 PM
I wonder if, being 28, I barely squeaked into the older group? The only names I recognize in my group are Sara and Julie, and I know they're older than me.
I don't know why, but this cracked me up! Welcome to the old-timers group, missy! :)

vesperholly
03-06-2009, 02:57 PM
I don't know why, but this cracked me up! Welcome to the old-timers group, missy! :)
Hahaha, I didn't mean it poorly! Some of the people in B are very close to my age, so I figured the line must've been drawn just below me or close to it. Lots of young skaters entered Silver, I guess. :)

RachelSk8er
03-06-2009, 03:04 PM
I know, I was really surprised to see myself in A and you, Rochelle and Kara in B! You and I are the exact same test level, having passed all our Silvers, and Kara's got two Pre-Silvers. I wonder if, being 28, I barely squeaked into the older group? The only names I recognize in my group are Sara and Julie, and I know they're older than me. You, Rochelle and Kara are all younger than me.

I'm somewhat terrified that Silver Ladies I is going to be extremely early AM on Wednesday. It's good that it will be over fast, and then I can enjoy the rest of the week, but skating in the AM isn't my strength. 11 girls in our group is great, though!

WOOO I must be the old fart in the young group if you and Noelle made the old group! That's still funny because there are so many of us the same age who ended up split up (you, Noelle, me, Lisa).

For my sake I hope silver free is early! Then I won't stress over it all day. I have interp that evening but that's just for pure fun because I'm so out of my league in that group (um...Alex, Emily, Julie, Jackie, can't remember who else).

I'm glad I'm totally done on Thursday so that I can pretty much just study for my final exams on Friday and Saturday and not have to stress over competing any more.

flying~camel
03-06-2009, 03:17 PM
I have interp that evening but that's just for pure fun because I'm so out of my league in that group (um...Alex, Emily, Julie, Jackie, can't remember who else).

There's one more that will be in that group because she accidentally got put into Adult A/D Interp I, even though she is a Gold lady.

RachelSk8er
03-06-2009, 03:21 PM
There's one more that will be in that group because she accidentally got put into Adult A/D Interp I, even though she is a Gold lady.

Yeah I was wondering what Becky was doing in adult when I saw that. That happened to me last year, I signed up for masters but got put in adult (because I was bronze free) and had to spend a whole day running around explaining to a ton of LP LOC people and officials why they needed to move me to masters because I had my silver dance test and didn't want to be accused of cheating (um even though the interp group with you, Audra, Miyong, Katie and Brandy would have been much more fun). Then they never moved my music to the right group. This year I noticed a gold dancer in bronze free so I'm not the only wackadoodle who is totally backward in tests, although I've held off on dance tests and moved up in freestyle so I'm not quite as strange as last year.

flying~camel
03-06-2009, 03:26 PM
There were 2 Gold ladies in our Adult interp group in LP last year! Both placed above me, so if they had been in their proper group, I would've medalled!

Ah well, I was happy with 6th either way :)

daisies
03-06-2009, 03:26 PM
WOOO I must be the old fart in the young group if you and Noelle made the old group!
You mean oldER group, right? RIGHT??? LMAO!

Hahaha, I didn't mean it poorly! Some of the people in B are very close to my age, so I figured the line must've been drawn just below me or close to it. Lots of young skaters entered Silver, I guess.
I know, I'm just messin' with ya. :)

vesperholly
03-06-2009, 03:40 PM
You mean oldER group, right? RIGHT??? LMAO!
Wheee the old group! We should all show up with canes and walkers!
WOOO I must be the old fart in the young group if you and Noelle made the old group! That's still funny because there are so many of us the same age who ended up split up (you, Noelle, me, Lisa).
I wonder if it was year of birth, as we're technically the same age now but I was born in the year before you.

Stormy
03-06-2009, 03:40 PM
I'm glad I'm totally done on Thursday so that I can pretty much just study for my final exams on Friday and Saturday and not have to stress over competing any more.

I'm glad I'm done Thursday as well. I like having it over with earlier than later, in Chicago I came in Tuesday and skated on Friday and it was a drag waiting all week to skate. I'll bring Monopoly again, maybe we'll actually play it this year! :)

RachelSk8er
03-06-2009, 03:47 PM
I'm glad I'm done Thursday as well. I like having it over with earlier than later, in Chicago I came in Tuesday and skated on Friday and it was a drag waiting all week to skate. I'll bring Monopoly again, maybe we'll actually play it this year! :)

Especially with 3 of us in our room! Monopoly with 2 people is kind of lame. I'll bring some games, too! I have a computer Monopoly I can even bring so we don't have to do math and you don't have to bring your board game on the plane :)

And I'll have my law school outlines and flash cards. What could possibly be more fun!? Our room is going to be such a party with all my law books, everyone is going to want to hang out in our room.

jazzpants
03-06-2009, 04:03 PM
Wheee the old group! We should all show up with canes and walkers!You young'um got nuttin' on age compared to us Group III's here!!! When I was your age... http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/figuren/a045.gif http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/figuren/a050.gif :lol:

Hmmm... interesting situation here... if God forbid a MIRACLE happens and I end up in the final group for Bronze III on Friday, it will be a very interesting juggling act for both me and my hairdresser/coach, since I also have a Adult Interp A/D that same day too! 8O (A GOOD problem, mind you... but still a problem...)

(Meh... I probably will end in a fight for the cellar, knowing me. My skating has been inconsistent at best (crap usually the norm) as of late... I will be VERY LUCKY not to come in dead last here again!!! :giveup: Plus, I've been sick and have only gone to the rink twice this week and have NOT gone to the gym as of yet. Most of my time is taken up job hunting and getting my strength and voice back!!! :cry: :frus: So I will be sleeping in that morning. :lol: http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/muede/d035.gif )

Black Sheep
03-06-2009, 06:03 PM
Some of those groups are HUGE (including Gold Ladies II)! 8O

How come these aren't split into quailfying groups?

daisies
03-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Groups are only required to be split into qualifying groups when it's a qualifying event (such as Championship events at Adult Sectionals, or any qualifying event at standard-track Regionals) and there are more than 18 skaters. Otherwise, it's at the referee's discretion.

Black Sheep
03-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Groups are only required to be split into qualifying groups when it's a qualifying event (such as Championship events at Adult Sectionals, or any qualifying event at standard-track Regionals) and there are more than 18 skaters. Otherwise, it's at the referee's discretion.

So that's how many skaters it takes for a group to get split in to A,B,C.

How many to screw in a lightbulb? ;)

Terri C
03-06-2009, 06:29 PM

So, am I guessing correctly that in the case of the Bronze Ladies III event, where there are 19 skaters and 2 QR's, all it would take is for one skater to scratch and then the referee would make Bronze Ladies III one group?

Stormy
03-06-2009, 06:52 PM
Some of those groups are HUGE (including Gold Ladies II)! 8O

How come these aren't split into quailfying groups?

What Daisies said.

And I'll admit, I'm really relieved I got bumped back down to age class I this year. Gold II is a big group with great skaters.

Terri C, the ref wouldn't combine the groups if there was a scratch. There would just be a scratch in that qualifying round. It's already split and I don't beieve they combine groups after they're split for qualifiers.

daisies
03-06-2009, 06:57 PM
So, am I guessing correctly that in the case of the Bronze Ladies III event, where there are 19 skaters and 2 QR's, all it would take is for one skater to scratch and then the referee would make Bronze Ladies III one group?

I think if it happens before the schedule is set, then maybe, but again, it's up to the referee.

But once the schedule is set, I don't think the referee is going to want to have to go back and change the whole thing.

And if a skater scratches, say, the week of the competition, there's no way it will change.

sk8er1964
03-06-2009, 09:54 PM
What Daisies said.

And I'll admit, I'm really relieved I got bumped back down to age class I this year. Gold II is a big group with great skaters.

I was surprised at how large the Gold II's were - almost as big as the Gold III's, which are usually by far the largest group. Interesting effect of the age level change.

Personally, I don't mind the large group. I don't know about anyone else, but every competition is kind of a crap shoot for me, where I'll be brilliant for one, and awful for another. Who (or how many) I'm skating with doesn't have a whole lot of influence on that! :lol:

RachelSk8er
03-06-2009, 10:52 PM
I was surprised at how large the Gold II's were - almost as big as the Gold III's, which are usually by far the largest group. Interesting effect of the age level change.

Personally, I don't mind the large group. I don't know about anyone else, but every competition is kind of a crap shoot for me, where I'll be brilliant for one, and awful for another. Who (or how many) I'm skating with doesn't have a whole lot of influence on that! :lol:

Turnout for I's is stronger this year, too! At least compared to the two ANs I've been to so far. (Still nothing compared to IIs and IIIs, but bigger nonetheless). That's great to see. I'm sure the age class shift helped, and the increased opportunities for skaters of all abilities to continue skating during college are only going to make this age class continue to grow.

mr7740
03-07-2009, 10:59 AM
I am confused as to how the solo dance groups were divided by age. In gold solo dance there are people in Group A who are older than people in Group B and vice versa. Perhaps they listed participants by age and then slotted the first in group A, second in group B, and so on....strange. There is a couple that is doing centennial dance with one in each group of gold solo dance as well (although I understand why they'd try to split them up).

saras
03-07-2009, 11:34 AM

19 skaters are listed in the Open Gold Ladies III FS event, but it's not split.

Whatever, I'm happy to skate :)

techskater
03-07-2009, 02:28 PM

I thought the new rule was under IJS groups could be as large as 20 without an IR?

After Sara's comment, it appears I thought correctly...

phoenix
03-08-2009, 09:49 PM
I have another question about solo dance--will there be official warmups for each *dance*, or just for each group? I'm imagining 20 skaters doing 2 different dances on the same ice....yikes. Or maybe they'll play music for 1 dance for 10 minutes, then the other? Or...... anyone know?

vesperholly
03-09-2009, 12:55 AM
I have another question about solo dance--will there be official warmups for each *dance*, or just for each group? I'm imagining 20 skaters doing 2 different dances on the same ice....yikes. Or maybe they'll play music for 1 dance for 10 minutes, then the other? Or...... anyone know?
I'm sure there will be, at the very least, separate warm-ups for initial and final round dances. And probably split the skaters into 6-skater warm-up groups, too.

None of the groups are close to 20 anymore, right? Silver was split into A and B and there are now only 9 in my group.

phoenix
03-09-2009, 09:23 AM
I'm sure there will be, at the very least, separate warm-ups for initial and final round dances. And probably split the skaters into 6-skater warm-up groups, too.

None of the groups are close to 20 anymore, right? Silver was split into A and B and there are now only 9 in my group.

Maybe I said it wrong--whatever they call the 20 minute "practice" session that you don't have to sign up / pay for--it's part of the competition schedule. It's earlier in the day than your event, and the last one I was on probably did have 20 skaters on it.

phoenix
03-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Well, based on this discussion (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64946), the solo dance groups are most definitely not split by age. It will just have to be fun, and where ever the chips fall, they fall! (not literally let's hope!)

I'm still just hoping to look decent....and have no idea what I'm wearing!

rlichtefeld
03-10-2009, 01:59 PM
Schedule wise, happy happy happy! I only have to take one day off work. 8-)

I pretty much have to take the whole week. Silver Men III on Wednesday and Silver Pairs on Friday.

However, it looks like both my events are on the Olympic rink. I assume that this means Olympic sized ice.

sk8er1964
03-10-2009, 02:26 PM
I pretty much have to take the whole week. Silver Men III on Wednesday and Silver Pairs on Friday.

However, it looks like both my events are on the Olympic rink. I assume that this means Olympic sized ice.

If I wasn't only an hour and 45 minute drive away, I'd have to take more time off too. ;)

flying~camel
03-10-2009, 02:43 PM

Indeed, it is!

flo
03-10-2009, 03:41 PM
Great - our footwork is getting a little "end squished".

flying~camel
03-16-2009, 11:40 AM
The chief referee has updated the group listings for AN 2009.

He fixed club errors and updated the groups for Gold & Silver solo dance.

http://www.ggrfsc.org/an09/documents/Group Listing.pdf (http://www.ggrfsc.org/an09/documents/Group%20Listing.pdf)
(http://www.ggrfsc.org/an09/documents/Group)

RachelSk8er
03-16-2009, 08:50 PM
The chief referee has updated the group listings for AN 2009.

He fixed club errors and updated the groups for Gold & Silver solo dance.

http://www.ggrfsc.org/an09/documents/Group Listing.pdf (http://www.ggrfsc.org/an09/documents/Group%20Listing.pdf)
(http://www.ggrfsc.org/an09/documents/Group)

Ahh now it looks like it's actually by age. Dangit I want my old group back...my big competition so far this year and I were split up. Now I know I'm in the young group, all the skaters I knew for sure are older than me (as in by more than just a few years) are in the other group. Gold looks right now, too.

phoenix
03-16-2009, 09:26 PM
Ahh now it looks like it's actually by age. Dangit I want my old group back...my big competition so far this year and I were split up. Now I know I'm in the young group, all the skaters I knew for sure are older than me (as in by more than just a few years) are in the other group. Gold looks right now, too.

I'm in the young group, with some absolutely incredible YOUNG dancers. Dibs on last for my group! (Leslie has called dibs for her group so we can share) I must be the oldest one in my group I think.

daisies
03-17-2009, 11:14 AM
Now I know I'm in the young group...

You mean "youngER."

I'm in the young group...

"YoungER"!

Get the terminology correct please! :)

phoenix
03-17-2009, 12:47 PM
You mean "youngER."

"YoungER"!

Get the terminology correct please! :)

No, I mean YOUNG!! My group includes the captain of the senior level Crystalettes synchro team---wow! And yikes! 8O

daisies
03-17-2009, 03:13 PM
No, I mean YOUNG!! My group includes the captain of the senior level Crystalettes synchro team---wow! And yikes! 8O

Then by definition, everyone else is OLD. And maybe it's just me, but I'd prefer not to be considered old!

flo
03-17-2009, 10:21 PM
OLD??? Don't even want to think about it. This is my 15th nats! And I've been in a few age groups!!!

Ha!

vesperholly
03-18-2009, 04:04 AM
Hey, I'm back in the "younger" group! Hello ladies. :)

I feared my freestyle event might be at Wee Scary AM Hours, but the practice schedule has sessions on the Olympic rink until 10:45. Hooray!

Stormy
03-18-2009, 04:23 PM
Hey, I'm back in the "younger" group! Hello ladies. :)

I feared my freestyle event might be at Wee Scary AM Hours, but the practice schedule has sessions on the Olympic rink until 10:45. Hooray!

Your warm up might still be early, though. If Silver I is one of the first events of the day, the only open slot for official warm ups could be 7 - 8 AM at Griff's. Just a thought. :) I skipped my warm up at Easterns because there was no way I was getting out of bed and presentable for a 7 AM warm up. :giveup:

flying~camel
03-18-2009, 05:01 PM
Your warm up might still be early, though. If Silver I is one of the first events of the day, the only open slot for official warm ups could be 7 - 8 AM at Griff's.

All of the official warm-ups will be at Patterson on the rink you'll be competing on. They'll be in the schedule (which means, yes, events aren't starting at at the crack o' dawn ;)).

Stormy
03-18-2009, 07:05 PM
All of the official warm-ups will be at Patterson on the rink you'll be competing on. They'll be in the schedule (which means, yes, events aren't starting at at the crack o' dawn ;)).

Oh, good to know. I know in Chicago my warm up was in that other rink across the street from thr main rink.

techskater
03-18-2009, 07:06 PM
Darn! I was hoping for a 6A competition! ;)

vesperholly
03-19-2009, 04:43 AM
Oh, my old bones do thank you! :lol:

flying~camel
03-19-2009, 07:06 AM
It figures that the year I don't compete, my events are later in the day!

RachelSk8er
03-19-2009, 03:54 PM

I love you.

RachelSk8er
03-19-2009, 03:55 PM
It figures that the year I don't compete, my events are later in the day!

We weren't early for free last year. I remember having plenty of time to get up, eat breakfast, jog on the treadmill at the hotel, chill, and get totally dressed (competition dress/hair/make-up) and stretch out before we even had our warm-up. Unless anxiety just had me up at a really early hour (but our beds at our hotel were sooooooo comfy I don't think that was the case) :)

Stormy
03-19-2009, 04:15 PM
We weren't early for free last year. I remember having plenty of time to get up, eat breakfast, jog on the treadmill at the hotel, chill, and get totally dressed (competition dress/hair/make-up) and stretch out before we even had our warm-up. Unless anxiety just had me up at a really early hour (but our beds at our hotel were sooooooo comfy I don't think that was the case) :)

Yeah, I want to say maybe early afternoon? It defitniely wasn't in the morning. And those were awesome beds! We should get an upgrade this year again too since I upped my status at Marriott to Platinum again. :)

flying~camel
03-19-2009, 04:24 PM
We weren't early for free last year.

That was soooooo nice and probably why I skated so well! Of course, that was followed up by my interp being at o' dark thirty 2 days later!

But, it was better than Dallas when my freeskate was at 8am and Chicago when my interp was at 7am!

Stormy
03-19-2009, 05:19 PM
http://www.usfsa.org/Content/Technical_Notification_42.pdf

Just a heads up, all, this will be in effect at ANs. Clarifications about spins, and pair elements as well.

"A spin occurs when the skater completes a total of three revolutions. If this requirement is not fulfilled, the attempted spin has no value."

I'm assuming this goes all the way down to Bronze, since it says All Adult free skate levels?

doubletoe
03-19-2009, 05:35 PM
http://www.usfsa.org/Content/Technical_Notification_42.pdf

Just a heads up, all, this will be in effect at ANs. Clarifications about spins, and pair elements as well.

"A spin occurs when the skater completes a total of three revolutions. If this requirement is not fulfilled, the attempted spin has no value."

I'm assuming this goes all the way down to Bronze, since it says All Adult free skate levels?

Good find! Based on the wording, I would also take this to mean that these rules apply to skaters at all levels at AN. Of course there are no points given for each element under 6.0, so the rules won't be as relevant, but the judges will probably still have it in their heads that completing fewer than 3 revolutions per foot on a spin is a bad thing.
BTW, I notice this was dated today, 3-19-09. And you posted it at 3:19 on 3/19. . . Spooky. . .8O

Stormy
03-19-2009, 06:07 PM
That is spooky! Totally unintentional, but spooky still.

daisies
03-19-2009, 06:21 PM
Of course there are no points given for each element under 6.0, so the rules won't be as relevant, but the judges will probably still have it in their heads that completing fewer than 3 revolutions per foot on a spin is a bad thing.
I don't think judges need a clarification to know that's a bad thing. LOL! ;)

jazzpants
03-19-2009, 07:47 PM
And these old bones/joints plus this West Coast body clocks THANKS YOU VERY MUCH too!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :lol:

And yes, I have been counting my spin revolutions during my runthrus of my technical program. Okay, NOT like Jason Spicer and the 3 second spirals :lol:...but you'll probably hear me counting under my breath. (Maybe I should do that too just to get primary coach off my back too...if not a good laugh!!! :twisted: )

RachelSk8er
03-20-2009, 08:13 AM
That was soooooo nice and probably why I skated so well! Of course, that was followed up by my interp being at o' dark thirty 2 days later!

But, it was better than Dallas when my freeskate was at 8am and Chicago when my interp was at 7am!

I'd rather just get it over with. I hate when events are at night and I have to be nervous all freakin day long.

flying~camel
03-20-2009, 01:50 PM
Just a reminder: If you haven't already done so, please send your competitor photo to programs@ggrfsc.org.

Send it in ASAP and you still have a chance of getting your competitor photo in the program!

daisies
03-20-2009, 01:53 PM
Regarding photos.... When I sent in payment for the program, I got an e-mail that it had been received. However, I'd sent in my photo and info weeks earlier and got no e-mail receipt. Should I have, or was that too early in the process?

Thanks!

flying~camel
03-20-2009, 02:09 PM
Regarding photos.... When I sent in payment for the program, I got an e-mail that it had been received. However, I'd sent in my photo and info weeks earlier and got no e-mail receipt. Should I have, or was that too early in the process?

Thanks!

I'm 99.9% sure I have your photo, but I'll check again when I get home :)

daisies
03-20-2009, 02:21 PM
Thank you! :)

Terri C
03-20-2009, 03:23 PM
Is it too late to send in advance payment for a program? I like a dope, totally forgot to do so. I'd like to send that when I sent my practice ice form in tomorrow. I'll even do separate checks and envelopes to make it easier on y'all!

flying~camel
03-20-2009, 03:40 PM
Yeah, you can still send in the pre-orders. We just need to have all of the program info forms in so we can send the program to the printers! :)

flying~camel
03-21-2009, 06:08 PM

I'm 99.9% sure I have your photo, but I'll check again when I get home :)

I do have your photo! :)

daisies
03-23-2009, 01:16 PM
I do have your photo! :)

Awesome, thank you!

flying~camel
03-24-2009, 07:11 AM
The LOC discussed the music on practice ice issue last night and made the following decision.

We're going to play music on a first come, first served basis and you may only have your music played once per session.

Basically, it's the same method as every other ANs.

TimDavidSkate
03-24-2009, 08:00 AM
The LOC discussed the music on practice ice issue last night and made the following decision.

We're going to play music on a first come, first served basis and you may only have your music played once per session.

I'm wondering on official practices if there will be 1 minute of your music will be played

Black Sheep
03-24-2009, 08:34 AM

I'm wondering on official practices if there will be 1 minute of your music will be played

I think he means official warmups. :halo:

jazzpants
03-24-2009, 08:53 AM

Basically, it's the same method as every other ANs.AWESOME!!! THANK YOU!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: (I was concerned over here since I would like a runthru just to get my bearings. Which given that the events are probably in the afternoon, would be NO PROBLEMO TOO!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: )

Terri C
03-24-2009, 09:04 AM
Thank you so much for resolving the practice music issue!!

TimDavidSkate
03-24-2009, 09:17 AM
I think he means official warmups. :halo:

yes, thanks for the correction :halo:

flying~camel
03-24-2009, 09:24 AM
The chief referee has decided there will be no music at all on official warm-ups.

rlichtefeld
03-24-2009, 09:46 AM

Sounds like a great decision.

Most people on a practice session don't want/need a run through. At least on the one's I've been on during the 4 ANs that I've attended before.

However, I would suggest that you have colored belts or vests available for the skaters to wear when doing a run through. (I wish my rink would do this :cry:)

Rob

rlichtefeld
03-24-2009, 09:51 AM
The chief referee has decided there will be no music at all on official warm-ups.

In the past, at some ANs, and also at the regular Championships, the Music/Announcing people have played random 70s, disco, etc. No one's program music, but something to fill the air.

I hate skating on "quiet" ice. Then, everyone (including me) can hear my toe scratching!

Rob

flying~camel
03-24-2009, 10:47 AM
However, I would suggest that you have colored belts or vests available for the skaters to wear when doing a run through. (I wish my rink would do this :cry:)

One of our LOC co-chairs is a skating dress maker and has lots of lycra lying around, so she's going to make a few neon ones. :)

jazzpants
03-24-2009, 01:22 PM
One of our LOC co-chairs is a skating dress maker and has lots of lycra lying around, so she's going to make a few neon ones. :)KEWL!!! Should be interesting to see her "creations" up close! :lol: (Seriously, I did like some of her dresses that I saw on her page.) :bow:

In the past, at some ANs, and also at the regular Championships, the Music/Announcing people have played random 70s, disco, etc. No one's program music, but something to fill the air.

I hate skating on "quiet" ice. Then, everyone (including me) can hear my toe scratching!Yeah, I sorta agreed! Some mellow mood music would be nice... breaks the tension of being on ice with all your other competitors. Doesn't have to be loud either. For me it would be "just as long as it's ROCKIN'" :twisted:

BTW: I hope it's not too late to send in the program pic. I just sent it about a few minutes ago. :giveup: (Just have too many things to juggle here on the job hunt front. In fact, according to hubby, I'm not supposed to be on here now... Shhhh....)

Stormy
03-24-2009, 01:44 PM
Awesome!! I am sure there won't be any problems with the music. The colored belts will help too. And yes, some background music played would be awesome! Cuts the tension some and helps you get into the ice more, for me at least it does!

RachelSk8er
03-24-2009, 03:47 PM
I'm all for music (generally played in the background, not programs) on the official warm-up for freestyle/interp. It will get rid of some of that "OH MY GOD HELP..COMPETING SOON...I WANT TO RUN AND EITHER HIDE OR THROW UP" feeling I get during that time.

Will compulsory dance music be played on those warm-ups? I thought it ususally was for couples, I don't see how solo would be different.

starskate6.0
03-24-2009, 04:27 PM
I just wanted to wish you all good luck this year. In Particular the Gold men .
I do hope your all skate well guy's and have a great time. I hope to be skating with you again next year. :D

flying~camel
03-24-2009, 04:31 PM
Will compulsory dance music be played on those warm-ups? I thought it ususally was for couples, I don't see how solo would be different.

Since they usually do for couples dance, I'd say it's pretty likely they will for solo, too.

Terri C
03-24-2009, 07:39 PM
I'm all for music (generally played in the background, not programs) on the official warm-up for freestyle/interp. It will get rid of some of that "OH MY GOD HELP..COMPETING SOON...I WANT TO RUN AND EITHER HIDE OR THROW UP" feeling I get during that time.

Yes, having background music would be very helpful and may lessen the tension a bit.
At Easterns, they played Boston and REM tunes during the practice sessions I was on. I was actually thanking God that "adult" rock was being played as opposed to the screaming, animal mating sounding music the kids tend to play.

Black Sheep
03-24-2009, 08:40 PM
Yes, having background music would be very helpful and may lessen the tension a bit.
At Easterns, they played Boston and REM tunes during the practice sessions I was on. I was actually thanking God that "adult" rock was being played as opposed to the screaming, animal mating sounding music the kids tend to play.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

daisies
03-24-2009, 08:47 PM
LOL! Our rink recently started an adult-only FS session on Sundays, and I will never forget that on the first day, rink management played "smooth jazz" as background music for the session. I quickly got it changed to '80s music. Just because we're adults doesn't mean we want to hear Kenny G!

Stormy
03-24-2009, 09:06 PM

They played that animal mating screaming music on my session, and I liked it just fine, thankyouverymuch.

jazzpants
03-25-2009, 01:46 AM
LOL! Our rink recently started an adult-only FS session on Sundays, and I will never forget that on the first day, rink management played "smooth jazz" as background music for the session. I quickly got it changed to '80s music. Just because we're adults doesn't mean we want to hear Kenny G!
I did say "ROCKIN', right??? :halo: (Hey! Could we play Duran Duran during daisies' warm-up??? :P :lol: )

Hell, I'm even burn a CD of some of my iPod exercise music. I got a bunch of 80's, 90's and 2000 music.... Yes, for those who do like the stuff, I also have disco and 70's funk too! But sorry, I don't currently have anything earlier than 70's.

Don't worry, Terri! No animal mating screaming stuff on my iPod playlist, though I know daisies would be disappointed to know that I have several Coldplay songs on my playlist. (DOH!!!) :P :lol:

vesperholly
03-25-2009, 01:53 AM
If there's a request list, I'd prefer some classical 90s music, please. Jock Jams anyone? ;)

Stormy
03-25-2009, 06:24 AM
If there's a request list, I'd prefer some classical 90s music, please. Jock Jams anyone? ;)

THIS!!! :bow:

flying~camel
03-25-2009, 07:08 AM
The chief referee controls how the official warm ups are run, so I can't help you there, but the LOC chairs are working on putting together some CDs to play during resurfaces. :)

daisies
03-25-2009, 12:55 PM
(Hey! Could we play Duran Duran during daisies' warm-up??? :P :lol: )
That would be so awesome. :)

Isk8NYC
03-25-2009, 01:00 PM
I was actually thanking God that "adult" rock was being played as opposed to the screaming, animal mating sounding music the kids tend to play.I wish we had a rep feature on this board, LOL.

I always found music during the warmups distracting because I was trying to listen to the music in my head. Wait, that didn't come out right.... lol

flo
03-25-2009, 02:26 PM
I prefer classical!

flying~camel
03-25-2009, 05:17 PM
sexyskates - your PM inbox is full, so I couldn't reply, but I did want to let you know that I did receive your check! :)

sexyskates
03-25-2009, 05:44 PM
Oops! Sorry! I don't clean it out often enough. Thanks for responding and you can ignore my last PM. I was alerted by skatingforums through my regular e mail.

TimDavidSkate
03-25-2009, 05:45 PM
:)Hello FC
I was wondering whether to book my flight right after I compete or I should stay over. (Silver Men 1) Will the schedule be released this week?

flying~camel
03-25-2009, 07:35 PM
I am in the processing of posting the schedule now and will send an email to the competitors once it is up! :)

flo
03-25-2009, 08:40 PM
Thank you, thank you!!!!!

flying~camel
03-25-2009, 08:57 PM
The AN event schedule (with times) is now up at http://www.ggrfsc.org/an09.

Please email an09@ggrfsc.org if you have any questions!

phoenix
03-25-2009, 10:53 PM
Ugh, LONG DAY for us Gold solo dance group A!!! First warm-up of the day, 8:00, skate at 9:00. Then final round is last event of the day, at 7:40 pm.

I'm also mystified that we (all solo dancers) get only 1 official 15 minute warmup--guess we have to warm up both dances then, including the one we don't skate for another 12 hours! :giveup:

Also no practice ice is available to us on Thursday---can anyone tell me if there are any other rinks in the area that have freestyle ice that allows dancers? Help!!

jazzpants
03-25-2009, 11:45 PM
BIG UH OH... for those who are in Bronze Ladies III Final Round and competing at Adult Interp A/D III Group A -- looks like they will be competing Interp during the final round's warm-up time!!! 8O

(Notice I did NOT say "we", since I'm certainly NOT expected to make the final round! I'll be lucky to stay out of the cellar again if anything!!! 8O I actually would have LOVE to have that type of problem actually!!! Would be interesting to see what primary coach is gonna do with my hair then!!! :lol: )

vesperholly
03-26-2009, 01:06 AM
Also no practice ice is available to us on Thursday---can anyone tell me if there are any other rinks in the area that have freestyle ice that allows dancers? Help!!
Yes please!! I was really disappointed not to see a solo dance practice session on Thursday. With only one official warm-up and such a long gap, an afternoon practice session would be great.

flying~camel
03-26-2009, 06:15 AM
We may add/change practice sessions once people are able to start reserving sessions.

Unfortunately, I didn't have the event start/end times available to me when I made the practice schedule. :??

phoenix
03-26-2009, 07:32 AM
Yes please!! I was really disappointed not to see a solo dance practice session on Thursday. With only one official warm-up and such a long gap, an afternoon practice session would be great.

I will have a car & will be happy to carpool people to a rink if we find something.

Terri C
03-26-2009, 07:50 AM
BIG UH OH... for those who are in Bronze Ladies III Final Round and competing at Adult Interp A/D III Group A -- looks like they will be competing Interp during the final round's warm-up time!!! 8O

(Notice I did NOT say "we", since I'm certainly NOT expected to make the final round! I'll be lucky to stay out of the cellar again if anything!!! 8O I actually would have LOVE to have that type of problem actually!!! Would be interesting to see what primary coach is gonna do with my hair then!!! :lol: )

I saw that too and well *if* it does happen (Primary Coach on Tuesday told me "Terri, ya never know...") I want to think my experience at Easterns prepared me for that.

sk8er1964
03-26-2009, 09:59 AM
Ugh, LONG DAY for us Gold solo dance group A!!! First warm-up of the day, 8:00, skate at 9:00. Then final round is last event of the day, at 7:40 pm.

I'm also mystified that we (all solo dancers) get only 1 official 15 minute warmup--guess we have to warm up both dances then, including the one we don't skate for another 12 hours! :giveup:

Personally, I don't get the whole big deal about official warm ups, but that's just me. However, I do see one problem with this. If all of the dancers in the group decide to skate on their official warm up, then how are all of them going to be able to do the dances at the same time? That's a lot of people.

I assume that the competition group will be split into warm up groups.

Regarding ice, Kentwood has an open skate M-W-F at lunch time that might suit for some purposes. It's not far from Patterson, but I would call first to make sure. http://www.kentwoodicearena.com/ Griff's Ice House usually has the same every day, but isn't it being used for AN practice ice? http://www.griffinshockey.com/community/icehouse/

flying~camel
03-26-2009, 10:01 AM
Regarding ice, Kentwood has an open skate M-W-F at lunch time that might suit for some purposes. It's not far from Patterson, but I would call first to make sure. http://www.kentwoodicearena.com/ Griff's Ice House usually has the same, but isn't it being used for AN practice ice? http://www.griffinshockey.com/community/icehouse/

Kentwood Ice Arena is on the campus of East Kentwood High School, so you should definitely double check before heading there for ice because there might be a school function going on there.

As for Griff's, we're only using 1 ice surface there, so they might still have open skate on the other, but in the past they have not allowed freestyle on their open skates, so you just might want to be careful about that.

Otherwise, Georgetown Ice Arena has daily freestyle sessions from 4-6pm and I believe Walker Ice & Fitness has daily open skates around lunchtime. Both of those rinks are approx. 30-45 mins from Patterson (and they're right by my house, LOL!).

phoenix
03-26-2009, 10:43 AM
Kentwood Ice Arena is on the campus of East Kentwood High School, so you should definitely double check before heading there for ice because there might be a school function going on there.

As for Griff's, we're only using 1 ice surface there, so they might still have open skate on the other, but in the past they have not allowed freestyle on their open skates, so you just might want to be careful about that.

Otherwise, Georgetown Ice Arena has daily freestyle sessions from 4-6pm and I believe Walker Ice & Fitness has daily open skates around lunchtime. Both of those rinks are approx. 30-45 mins from Patterson (and they're right by my house, LOL!).

Would you please keep us posted on whether a gold solo practice time will be added for Thursday? That would obviously be the best solution.

daisies
03-26-2009, 02:11 PM
If all of the dancers in the group decide to skate on their official warm up, then how are all of them going to be able to do the dances at the same time? That's a lot of people.
Compulsory dance warmups are very organized. Since everyone's doing the same steps, as long as you don't start in the exact same spot on the exact same beat as another person, there's really no way to run into someone else. You just let someone start, then you wait a few beats, and then you go. You're all on the same pattern, so if you start behind someone, you'll always be behind them.

I'm also mystified that we (all solo dancers) get only 1 official 15 minute warmup--guess we have to warm up both dances then, including the one we don't skate for another 12 hours!
I'm the opposite -- I would have been shocked if we'd gotten two official warmups for solo dance. There's always the six-minute warmup during the event!

I will miss my solo dance official 15-minute warmup entirely, because my FS event starts 15 minutes after it. But that's cool. I'll be plenty warmed up after skating a 3:10 program!

sk8er1964
03-26-2009, 02:42 PM
Compulsory dance warmups are very organized. Since everyone's doing the same steps, as long as you don't start in the exact same spot on the exact same beat as another person, there's really no way to run into someone else. You just let someone start, then you wait a few beats, and then you go. You're all on the same pattern, so if you start behind someone, you'll always be behind them.

I figured that ;) What I was speaking to was the size of the groups. For example, mine has 14 skaters. 14 skaters doing the same pattern at the same time seem to me to be quite a lot.

RachelSk8er
03-26-2009, 03:33 PM

Yeah, everyone just needs to be courteous. I've been on dance warmups with as many as 7 people before (for the itty bitty 14-step pattern) and it worked out fine. They play the music a few times. Some people jump on the first time it's played, others the second or third, some people (depending on what dance) only do sections of patterns. The only time there could be issues are if you're doing the American since stronger skaters, on an NHL sized rink, do have to cross the center axis slightly in order to fit the dance in the rink. Not an issue with solo this year. It is a little easier with that many people out there if everyone leaves off their beginning and end fluff since no one knows exactly where you're gong.

daisies
03-26-2009, 04:35 PM
I figured that ;) What I was speaking to was the size of the groups. For example, mine has 14 skaters. 14 skaters doing the same pattern at the same time seem to me to be quite a lot.

It's better than 14 skaters all trying to do FS programs at the same time! LOL!

It is a lot of skaters, but as long as everyone stays on pattern, you won't even notice. I agree with RachelSk8er that it will be a lot better if everyone just does the pattern and doesn't mess with their starting/ending "fluff." Because that will turn into a free-for-all!

flying~camel
03-27-2009, 01:14 PM
I'm moving some things around on Thursday to try and accommodate more dance practices @ Griff's.

Would these work for you solo dancers? If so, I'll get them into the schedule tonight!

Bronze Solo Dance - 1:00pm - 1:30pm
Silver Solo Dance - 1:30pm - 2:00pm
Gold Solo Dance - 2:00pm - 2:30pm

phoenix
03-27-2009, 01:44 PM
That would be great, as far as I'm concerned.

If I mail you a practice ice form/check today (NOW!!), what happens if that session doesn't actually happen? I'm only coming in Wed. night, so won't use practice ice earlier than Thurs.

Thanks SO MUCH for making this work for us!!

flying~camel
03-27-2009, 02:06 PM
These sessions will happen, I just wanted to make sure the times were OK for you guys :)

vesperholly
03-27-2009, 04:21 PM
That would be fantastic! How far away is Griff's?

Thanks for being so accommodating!! :bow:

flying~camel
03-27-2009, 06:43 PM
That would be fantastic! How far away is Griff's?

Thanks for being so accommodating!! :bow:

It's probably 15 mins or so, all expressway and traffic is usually pretty light around here, especially during the day.

phoenix
03-28-2009, 12:21 PM
Sent my form in today. Thanks again for doing this! It will be a huge help.