View Full Version : Ice dance dress length...what is too long?

herniated
03-04-2009, 08:13 PM
Ok, I just got an ice dance dress from mainstreet dancewear. Although it is beautiful I think it is too long! It falls waaayyy below my knee in front and even longer in the back.

Opinions?

btw - it is the light blue ice dance dress on the website. www.mainstreetdancewear.com

I didn't try it on with skates but seems to fall a bit longer on me than on thier model.

Kim to the Max
03-04-2009, 10:25 PM
The owner of the skate shop in my area said that that is a common problem with that brand. She generally cuts them at/right above the knee for the skaters (and surges them if the skater wants, although that fabric won't run).

She had said that the judges for tests want to see the knees.

katz in boots
03-05-2009, 02:13 AM
I didn't try it on with skates but seems to fall a bit longer on me than on thier model.

To me it looks way too long on the model, so if longer than that...
I guess it's personal taste, but I wouldn't want it that long.

jenlyon60
03-05-2009, 07:16 AM
It is my understanding that the designer made the skirt on the longish side, to allow for adequate coverage for taller skaters. Since it's easier to shorten a skirt than to add fabric to an otherwise too short skirt, or find replacement fabric to replace a too-short skirt with a longer skirt.

Mrs Redboots
03-05-2009, 07:24 AM
I've certainly seen people competing in dresses that length, although I prefer slightly shorter myself.

herniated
03-05-2009, 07:26 AM
thanks guys!! I'm going to have it cut before I test or compete in it!!

herniated
03-05-2009, 07:40 AM
The owner of the skate shop in my area said that that is a common problem with that brand. She generally cuts them at/right above the knee for the skaters (and surges them if the skater wants, although that fabric won't run).

She had said that the judges for tests want to see the knees.

So, if I cut it myself...it won't run and won't need to be surged?

RachelSk8er
03-05-2009, 08:30 AM
I've seen as long as calf length. Longer may be ok for lower dances but I'd worry about catching a blade in it on some of the more complicated dances. I'm not sure if there are rules pertaining to skirt length for dance, but in synchro (where skirts are also long), there is a rule that the longest part of a skirt can be no longer than the widest part of the calf (or just below the knee).

Depending on the type of material you would be able to cut it without runs and without having to use a serger on the hem. Most of my skirts are power mesh or lycra and are unfinished. Chiffons tend to run, I have some skirts with glisettes that are finished, others not (if it's a dress you'll wear a few times a year for comeptition and testing and are careful with it, it won't run, glisette on a practice dress should be finished).

herniated
03-10-2009, 05:24 PM
Well, I cut the dress and it does look much better on me. A friend of mine from the forum is going to surge it for me. (Don't know if she would want me broadcasting her name :lol:)

Another question - maybe it should be another topic.. should I wear a dance dress for my test next month or what I was planning to wear? I was planning on a black unitard with a cap sleeve and a little black skirt. It is very comfortable and I feel good in it. Opinions?

aussieskater
03-11-2009, 06:43 AM
What are you testing?

fsk8r
03-11-2009, 07:32 AM
Well, I cut the dress and it does look much better on me. A friend of mine from the forum is going to surge it for me. (Don't know if she would want me broadcasting her name :lol:)

Another question - maybe it should be another topic.. should I wear a dance dress for my test next month or what I was planning to wear? I was planning on a black unitard with a cap sleeve and a little black skirt. It is very comfortable and I feel good in it. Opinions?

If you're more comfortable in the unitard than the dress, where the unitard and skirt. We might all think that what we wear affects our marks at tests, but ultimately the judges are actually watching the skating and aren't really concerned with what we're wearing (within reason).

herniated
03-11-2009, 08:24 AM
What are you testing?

I'm testing my first three dances.

And thanks fsk8r - I'll probably wear the unitard with skirt and save the dress for competitons. But I'm still interested in what others do!:lol:

TreSk8sAZ
03-11-2009, 05:22 PM
I'm testing my first three dances.

And thanks fsk8r - I'll probably wear the unitard with skirt and save the dress for competitons. But I'm still interested in what others do!:lol:

I don't know how it is at other rinks, but at our rink we are expected to be in a proper dress for ice dance tests (I test standard track, though, so that may make a difference - not sure what you're testing). Generally, what we do is buy just a cheap-ish plain dress for testing and use it for all of our tests. Depending on the color you can wear one dress for many, many dances when testing. Then we have our blinged up dresses for the dances for competition.

If you don't wear your competition dress to test, you really should at least wear it to a couple of practices. Skating with a dance-length skirt can seriously throw you off if you aren't used to it. Depending on the fabric they can go inbetween your legs, get caught in weird ways, etc.

Schmeck
03-11-2009, 09:02 PM
My daughter wore a black leotard and black skirt for her first and second ice dance test sessions, and even kept on her black warm-up jacket (light weight, form fitting). She's only tested the 1st seven ice dances. (Don't ask me why seven, as dances come in 3s and she did 3 one test, 4 the next...)

Most of the skaters wore much fancier dresses (especially those going solo) but my daughter passed all her dances being rather underdressed for the occasion. What made it even better was that the seat warmers were on in my car, and she didn't smooth out her skirt before sitting, and she heat-pressed a bunch of wrinkles and pleats into the back of her skirt on the way to the rink! Went right along with the blade cut I found on the skirt, and then she got two holes in her tights warming up... sigh...

I was going to buy that same dress on mainstreetdancewear - or the one below it (and rip off the bow, as my daughter would not 'do' a bow) but darling daughter protests the idea of spending money on an ice dance dress she'll only wear once or twice. Of course she's been fighting me on this for a year, so she's had 3 opportunities gone by to dress properly (don't even ask what she tested junior moves in, but she passed) and I think I may end up just burning the ragged skirt and tattered jacket before her next test!

Clarice
03-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Where I am, dance tests are almost universally taken in a black leotard and black wrap skirt, maybe with a black sweater or jacket. I just bought a new dance dress for ANs from an online dancewear site, and chopped off quite a bit of length. It was originally almost ankle-length in back and slightly shorter in front; now it's just above the knee in front and about calf length in back.

katz in boots
03-12-2009, 03:32 AM
I've only done one dance test, and I did make myself a proper dance dress for it. My reasoning is that what I wear affects how I feel. I wanted to feel like an ice dancer, so I wore a dance dress. I doubt it made any difference with the judges.

I did notice kids testing free skating in tattered old leggings, shorts and old t-shirts. Call me old-fashioned, but personally I feel one ought to show some sense of occasion.

Thin-Ice
03-12-2009, 05:36 AM
Most of our local coaches would not let a skater test if s/he showed up in tattered, ragged or dirty anything! They insist skaters polish their boots and put in clean/new laces (or wear new over-the-boots tights), wear good, form-fitting practice clothes without holes, rips or snags for moves/compulsory dance tests and competition costumes for freestyle/free dance tests and have their hair extra neat (our rink lobby looks like a beauty salon with the coaches and parents running after the skaters -- both girls and boys -- with cans of hairspray. I've actually seen one coach send a kid home because she showed up with dirty boots.

The judges do notice -- although they are not judging the skaters on what they wear. But if a skater is on the verge of not passing and all the little touches that show respect for the sport and attempts to be their very best are there, it could (subconsciously) influence a judge's decision. And I agree with the other poster who says how you dress does affect the way you perform.

Thin-Ice
03-12-2009, 05:38 AM
I did notice kids testing free skating in tattered old leggings, shorts and old t-shirts. Call me old-fashioned, but personally I feel one ought to show some sense of occasion.

I LOVE this. You are NOT old-fashioned. My husband (who is not a skater) would appreciate your sentiment too. He's a pilot and he took all his lessons in cut-offs or jeans and t-shirts... but when it was time for his check-ride with the FAA examiner, he wore his good suit and tie! The examiner said he'd never seen anyone do that before. But my husband said it made him feel more like it was a serious occasion and he felt it helped him perform better under pressure.

sk8_mom
03-12-2009, 09:18 AM
The judges do notice -- although they are not judging the skaters on what they wear. But if a skater is on the verge of not passing and all the little touches that show respect for the sport and attempts to be their very best, it could influence a judge's decision. And I agree with the other poster who says how you dress does affect the way you perform.
Totally agree with this statement. Also, when my daughter first started wearing proper dance dresses to test in, we were warned to make sure they weren't too long as the judges like to be able to see the knees to better judge knee action.

herniated
03-12-2009, 04:19 PM
My unitard is very new as is the skirt. I too agree with the other poster that the skater should 'dress' for the occasion!! No sloppy, ripped, torn anything and t shirts and shorts in general on the ice bug me. Especially on freestyle sessions.I may buy a longish black wrap -around skirt instead of the short one? I REALLY like how the short one looks though. And, I'm wearing my hair down. My coach says it's very 'ice dancer - ish'. lol The more I think about what to wear the more I don't want to wear the new dress.

I was talking to sexyskates the other day about this (Hi Sexy!!), and telling her that my coach will probably NOT dress up so to speak. Sooo, I would feel very STUPID with that blue multi-tiered get up on while he has black warm up pants and m-a-y-b-e a black sweatshirt on. She says I'm trying to impress the judges not him...but I'd still feel dorky skating with him if he's not 'dressed up'. So, for now..black cap sleeve unitard that I feel good in with my hair down is going to be it!:lol:For now... I also think my black unitard is flattering. Who am I trying to convince anyway? :lol:

AgnesNitt
03-12-2009, 05:01 PM
I too agree with the other poster that the skater should 'dress' for the occasion!! No sloppy, ripped, torn anything and t shirts and shorts in general on the ice bug me. Especially on freestyle sessions.

We don't have the 'ripped and torn' issue at my rink on freestyles, however, I may be the singularly most overdressed person on our freestyles. Once a week I'm able to go directly from work to catch the last freestyle session of the day. I have no time to change from business attire to skating attire and still get on the ice for an hour. So the high-flyers see this late middle aged business woman, in neat office slacks with stretch in them, a blouse and tres' charmant sweater or jacket with matching gloves and scarf, skating figures off in one corner. The one concession I make to the cold is that before I leave for work I put a pair of heavy lycra fitness capris on under my slacks. This summer I may start doing it in a knee length skirt with some bike short underneath. I feel so like a 1940's skater.

Thank goodness I sweat through my head more than my body. I get off the ice and my hair is plastered but the rest of me is neat as a pin.

patatty
03-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Hi Herniated:
I've seen that unitard outfit on you, and you look great. I don't know much about dance tests, but if you feel good and look good, you should wear it. I'm also so envious of your great hair. I'll never get that flowy thing going and I almost considered a clip-on extension for my artistic program, just so I could make a bun that didn't look like a chicken nugget on the back of my head!

RachelSk8er
03-12-2009, 06:22 PM
I always wear my real dance (or recycled synchro) dresses for dance tests. I think it helps with expression--I get more "into" a Tango if I'm in a black/red lacy dress, feel more "waltzy" in my ballgown-looking waltz dress, etc. If I feel like I'm competing, it also takes some of the pressure off of me. I tend to get REALLY stressed for test sessions.

Thin-Ice
03-13-2009, 01:44 AM
(snip) ...my coach will probably NOT dress up so to speak. Sooo, I would feel very STUPID with that blue multi-tiered get up on while he has black warm up pants and m-a-y-b-e a black sweatshirt on. She says I'm trying to impress the judges not him...but I'd still feel dorky skating with him if he's not 'dressed up'. So, for now..black cap sleeve unitard that I feel good in with my hair down is going to be it!:lol:For now... I also think my black unitard is flattering. Who am I trying to convince anyway? :lol:

Your coach is also not being judged, so you SHOULD be the focal point for the judges. So if he's not dressed up, but you are, they will automatically focus on you more.. and you're making their job easier.

And how cool you can wear your hair down and it looks good! So many people TRY that look, and it doesn't work for them.

Good luck on your test!

katz in boots
03-13-2009, 03:15 AM
...I almost considered a clip-on extension for my artistic program, just so I could make a bun that didn't look like a chicken nugget on the back of my head!

Tee-hee, I did that one comp. I needed a fuller, longer look for the program than my hair could do, so bought a curly piece for the back. Worked well, stayed put, and I think it looked nice.

Mrs Redboots
03-13-2009, 05:16 AM
Hi Herniated:
I've seen that unitard outfit on you, and you look great. I don't know much about dance tests, but if you feel good and look good, you should wear it. I'm also so envious of your great hair. I'll never get that flowy thing going and I almost considered a clip-on extension for my artistic program, just so I could make a bun that didn't look like a chicken nugget on the back of my head!

Tee-hee, I did that one comp. I needed a fuller, longer look for the program than my hair could do, so bought a curly piece for the back. Worked well, stayed put, and I think it looked nice.

I did that, too. And then at the end of my programme or dance or whatever it was, quite without thinking what I was doing, I unclipped it and waved it at the judges.....

herniated
03-13-2009, 12:54 PM
Hi Herniated:

You are hysterical!! "chicken nugget"!!! Thanks for the compliment too. Hope skating was good for you today!!

sk8tmum
03-13-2009, 06:00 PM
I did that, too. And then at the end of my programme or dance or whatever it was, quite without thinking what I was doing, I unclipped it and waved it at the judges.....

Fake hair is DANGEROUS when it goes rogue ... I've seen quite a few elegant little hairpieces with curls decide to LEAP from the head and skate off on their own, executing an amazing flying spin before landing and hydroplaning across the ice, to end up resting comfortably in a neat ending position.

One little girl had the most amazing presence of mind: she scooped it up on a pass by, tucked it away in her dress, and finished her skate. Rounds of applause from everyone for her aplomb.

Make sure to fasten it down tight and lecture it strongly before entering the ice. You just never know :)

sk8tmum
03-13-2009, 06:06 PM
Thought on the bun / hair down: my DD's partner insists she buns her hair for dance tests, because he says: the judges find it distracting to have it swinging around when she's testing; particularly with old-school judges, he is concerned with her not looking test-neat and tidy; and, he is concerned about getting the hair caught on some part of his clothing or person (or just getting a face full of hair on a turn). Does your partner have a preference, or are you soloing?

herniated
03-13-2009, 06:46 PM
I don't have a partner so to speak but my coach is skating with me through the tests. He likes my hair down... I don't think he really cares how I wear it :roll:just like he has no comments on what I wear to test in. He liked the unitard and the dress. He leaves it up to me what I wear.

NOT like my freestyle coach used to be!! He would say for testing MIF wear a BLACK, unbeaded dress that fits well, Hair in a NEAT BUN...NO RIPS in tights... BLACK or BEIGE gloves (if at all) and TAKE the WARM UP JACKET OFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!8O Intense but it looked great. And for Free skate test the competition dress is appropriate.

RachelSk8er
03-13-2009, 09:42 PM
I was talking to sexyskates the other day about this (Hi Sexy!!), and telling her that my coach will probably NOT dress up so to speak. Sooo, I would feel very STUPID with that blue multi-tiered get up on while he has black warm up pants and m-a-y-b-e a black sweatshirt on. She says I'm trying to impress the judges not him...but I'd still feel dorky skating with him if he's not 'dressed up'.

He's not supposed to be. At my rink, all the coaches who are taking skaters through tests show up in black skating or dress pants and a black button down or turtleneck. They're not supposed to stand out, you are. And black is safe--you can take many ladies through a test and not worry about what you're wearing clashing with they are wearing and causing a visual distraction.

vesperholly
03-14-2009, 03:08 AM
herniated, don't worry, I don't think your coach will wear sweatpants or anything that screams "practice". Certainly if a skater gets to the level of taking a student through a dance test, they know what to wear. :) The two male coaches I have taken dance tests with always wore work-casual pants - khaki grade, but black - and a neutral colored button-down shirt - black, gray or white.

fsk8r
03-14-2009, 06:01 AM
Thought on the bun / hair down: my DD's partner insists she buns her hair for dance tests, because he says: the judges find it distracting to have it swinging around when she's testing; particularly with old-school judges, he is concerned with her not looking test-neat and tidy; and, he is concerned about getting the hair caught on some part of his clothing or person (or just getting a face full of hair on a turn). Does your partner have a preference, or are you soloing?

we had messy pony tales for synchro this year. That's fine for those with relatively short hair. But the woman next to me had kittens at the thought of my hair swinging into her face (It was half way down my back at the time). I'm only worried about whispy bits in eyes, but the number of clips needed to shorten the hair and pin it down made me wish that we'd had a simple bun. I ended up cutting 4inch off before the second competition just to make life easier!
So despite not caring what I'm wearing for tests, I do like having my hair tied back in a bun and hair sprayed into position, because it's really difficult to skate with a stray strand of hair in your eye.

aussieskater
03-14-2009, 06:12 AM

8O :lol: That must have been quite a sight!!!

AgnesNitt
03-21-2009, 02:00 PM
J Crew. $49 (http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/WomenBrowse/Women_Shop_By_Category/dresses/weddingsparties/PRDOVR~98999/99101582009/98999.jsp)-- SILK! in Yellow and Red.

herniated
03-26-2009, 04:34 PM
Today, I skated in my newly shortened dress and it felt great!! Now, I need to add some bling and I'm good to go!! Still not wearing it to test but it's great!!