View Full Version : Snowflakes or slush 3/2 - 3/7

flo
03-02-2009, 06:43 PM
In honor of the Northeast winter storm.

Snowflakes: We made it to the rink last night and got in a practice before the storm. Now that our program is finished we can now start doing run throughs.

Slush: No other gold pairs at the Autism event, so our debut will be Nationals.

ibreakhearts66
03-03-2009, 12:49 AM
Snowflakes
-All of my double doubles are becoming pretty consistent. I landed some 2flip+2loops that felt really big and solid.
-Death drops are coming along nicely.
-Change of edge back sits are finally starting to happen too. I know that's supposed to be the easiest change of edge spin, but it's actually been the hardest for me!

Slush
-My Intermediate moves and fs test date has been moved back a month :( They couldn't get enough judges for the March 14th date, so I'm testing April 19th. I'm a little disappointed, but the extra practice time will be nice.
-Coach was trying to get me to do Camel, funky hydroblade sit spin type thing, then tap butterly to back sit. I absolutely could not get the coordination down to do a proper butterfly! It was really funny, I'm sure, to see me tap and then flail, but it was really frustrating too! Between those, the other funky positions my coach was coming up with and death drops, I think I spent more time on my butt because of spins than jumps.
-Change edge camel is giving me a hard time. I can change edges, but I end up losing the spin after 1-2 revs because I end up too far back on my heel then rock forward to my toe. I guess I just have to keep messing with it to find the sweet spot.

SkatEn
03-03-2009, 01:35 AM
Finally I got to skate!!!

Snowflakes:
-I got to skate! The ice was beautiful, but the rink smells a bit of paint. There was renovation work so the rink closed for a little more than a week! There was 2 persons on the ice when I reached! (I am having holidays while most others are still in school.)
- I didn't "lose" anything!
-Off ice for sit spins worked. I went down with more ease and could have came up consistently if not for the aches from off ice! I used weights on the free leg for off-ice. Somehow, on the ice, I still spin with a bent free leg!:x
-I videoed by leaving the camera there!:P

Slush:
It's colddd... I had a jacket, but still...
I didn't lose anything, but I feel like there were some regression. I couldn't stay as long as I would like in sit, loop looks much smaller than I though, flip was done on a bent knee, waltz jump felt out of control. Jumps felts wonky, like I had no control. And I kept popping a single loop or two footing them.

Did I mention my right blade was so loose that i could feel it shaking and i only skated one round?!? It's scary. I went off ice and eventually the rink people found the screwdriver to help me tighten them. I need to put one more screw into the side which has one screw missing (it just dropped somewhere). I got back on and skated after that though.

The blade issue is scaring me.

But overall, it was a good skate. I broke my flip down and tried to correct it. It felt better but I suddenly had to leave. So yes, I'm grateful for today. :bow:
:D

Mrs Redboots
03-03-2009, 08:59 AM
Snowflakes: Even though spring is definitely almost here in the UK, it was cold this morning! Got through everything and coach pleased with our progress.

Slush: Very, very, very tired today for some reason. Was yesterday, too. Hope I'm not sickening for yet another bug; I could so live without that!

FlyAndCrash
03-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Snowflakes: Yesterday was a snow day!!! Hahaha. And there was only about 3-4 inches of snow; there were blizzard conditions when they declared it though. And I didn't feel bad about now skating because I had been given the day off, and I think the rink was closed because it was a "non-essential" building.

Slush: I went shopping and spent way too much money. And I had written a paper for a class yesterday that took me until 430am to finish and then class was canceled.

Snowflakes: I uploaded my skate from UPenn onto youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMz2CWK8f44
Go take a look and feel free to comment.

Slush: It looks way worse than my program last October and slightly worse than my program at UDel. But I think it only looks worse than the UDel program because the ice was really bad - hard and "sticky" and not good for footwork or speed. I think my physical fitness level has really taken a downturn since starting college and stopping off-ice workouts.

Snowflakes: I have decided that I'm going to try and test my Juv free this summer. I have most of the elements except the spins... And I'll have to make my flying spin (either camel or sit) more consistent by next fall. I've also decided to learn the int. moves and work toward testing those this summer also.

herniated
03-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Slush: Snow stopped me from skating yesterday as well as my back..still. Hopefully today Chiro can make it better.

doubletoe
03-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Snowflakes: Yesterday was a snow day!!! Hahaha. And there was only about 3-4 inches of snow; there were blizzard conditions when they declared it though. And I didn't feel bad about now skating because I had been given the day off, and I think the rink was closed because it was a "non-essential" building.

Slush: I went shopping and spent way too much money. And I had written a paper for a class yesterday that took me until 430am to finish and then class was canceled.

Snowflakes: I uploaded my skate from UPenn onto youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMz2CWK8f44
Go take a look and feel free to comment.

Slush: It looks way worse than my program last October and slightly worse than my program at UDel. But I think it only looks worse than the UDel program because the ice was really bad - hard and "sticky" and not good for footwork or speed. I think my physical fitness level has really taken a downturn since starting college and stopping off-ice workouts.

Snowflakes: I have decided that I'm going to try and test my Juv free this summer. I have most of the elements except the spins... And I'll have to make my flying spin (either camel or sit) more consistent by next fall. I've also decided to learn the int. moves and work toward testing those this summer also.

Good job!! Your jumps look very solid (I especially like your loop!) and your spins are really coming along, too! Love the forward/backward spiral! I think working on the Intermediate moves is a brilliant idea, since the one downside to your program was lack of speed, and those Intermediate power circles will give you speed like nothing else! :D

Kim to the Max
03-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Good job!! Your jumps look very solid (I especially like your loop!) and your spins are really coming along, too! Love the forward/backward spiral! I think working on the Intermediate moves is a brilliant idea, since the one downside to your program was lack of speed, and those Intermediate power circles will give you speed like nothing else! :D

Oh, power circles...how I loathe thee....and I loathe the fact that I have to do them AGAIN for junior!!! grrrr....

But, FlyandCrash, that was a very good program! You hit everything :) As doubletoe said, it was lacking the oomph of power/speed, so keep working on that...I find that the power circles are a wonderful help, as is doing some hard laps...find someone who is a higher level than you who might be willing to do some stroking with you...I find that that will also kick my butt into gear :) :giveup:

liz_on_ice
03-03-2009, 12:51 PM
slush - I wanted to skate in the snowflakes yesterday but the closed rink made it slush.

snowflakes - Got in a 40 minute practice at lunchtime today, my loop is starting to show up reliably.

slush - I'm chickening out of the flip again, I only barely had it before I got sick.

doubletoe
03-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Oh, power circles...how I loathe thee....and I loathe the fact that I have to do them AGAIN for junior!!! grrrr....

But, FlyandCrash, that was a very good program! You hit everything :) As doubletoe said, it was lacking the oomph of power/speed, so keep working on that...I find that the power circles are a wonderful help, as is doing some hard laps...find someone who is a higher level than you who might be willing to do some stroking with you...I find that that will also kick my butt into gear :) :giveup:

I love the power circles. :D It's those back power 3's that are the bane of my existence! :giveup:

Kim to the Max
03-03-2009, 01:54 PM
I love the power circles. :D It's those back power 3's that are the bane of my existence! :giveup:

Agreed!! it's just obnoxious to have to do them again....of course, I could wait until the change the moves, but then I would have to do back loops, and that's not happening!

ibreakhearts66
03-03-2009, 01:57 PM

I'm not too fond of EITHER of those moves, although I would definitely take the power circles over the back power 3s....

FlyAndCrash
03-03-2009, 02:40 PM
I'm not too fond of EITHER of those moves, although I would definitely take the power circles over the back power 3s....

I hated back power 3's! But I haven't started power circles yet; however, my coach says they shouldn't be that hard for me... We'll see how much she is lying in the near future.

But I think my skating has slowed down so much in the past few months! And the ice at UPenn was really slow (not that I should use that as an excuse...)!

Morgail
03-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Snowflakes:
-My entire Gold test program is finished! Now I just need an axel for it :lol:

Slush:
-Made an appointment with the orthopedic surgeon for a couple weeks from now. Unless I have a miraculous recovery, I won't be testing Gold Moves at the end of the month as I'd planned :cry: But I will be glad to find out what is wrong with my knee. It's been almost two weeks, and it hasn't gotten any better. I just hope it's something that can be treated with rest and PT...and not surgery.

ibreakhearts66
03-04-2009, 01:00 AM
I hated back power 3's! But I haven't started power circles yet; however, my coach says they shouldn't be that hard for me... We'll see how much she is lying in the near future.

But I think my skating has slowed down so much in the past few months! And the ice at UPenn was really slow (not that I should use that as an excuse...)!

Yeah see, the Intermediate back power 3s combined two of my worst moves. Well, I guess my pre-juvie back crossovers weren't too bad, but I kind of crashed straight into the wall on those in testing...But I guess they were good up until that point, because I still received over passing standard on them. Seriously though, I am constantly terrified of crashing into the wall on the Intermediate 3s. :frus:

Anyways.

Snowflakes
-Jumps were respectable today. Someone commented on my 2lutz looking really nice. I worked more on the double double combos I ignore, and landed some 2loop+2toes, 2sal+2toes, plus my normal 2loop 2loops, 2sal 2loops and 2flip 2loops. Yes, I like 2loops :)
-Camel-hyrdroblade corkscrew sit thingy combo was decent today
-Step sequence is improving.

Slush
-Nearly killed myself doing 3sal. The jump was wonky, I came down forwards, slammed my right shin into my left boot (not blade, luckily), and also nailed my hip and elbow.
-So, after that, I decided to spin. Safe, right? Tried to do an inside edge back camel, fell out of it and slammed down on my right hip :giveup:
-2axels are really starting to get the best of me, mentally.
-Sideways leaning laybacks. Yeah, not happening right now.

liz_on_ice
03-04-2009, 08:00 AM
snowflakes - my flip showed up in my lesson, coach actually saw me land it. :D It's going in my program 8O I may actually know my program by march 30 :)

slush - knowing my program, and doing it actually to the music are two very different things. ;)

FlyAndCrash
03-04-2009, 09:47 AM
Snowflakes: I sent in my email confirming that I'm going to nationals today! Super excited for the trip.

Slush: The rink was super cold this morning and then I had to wait outside for 15 waiting for public transportation...

Snowflakes: I got to play around with my spirals today. I think I'm going to work more on my back spirals and opposite-arm catch-foots. The coach said they look really good and we may be re-working the spiral in my program again.

Slush: I didn't do my program. I should be building up my endurance, but I'm too lazy.

Snowflakes: I got compliments on an axel too! It felt really nice. I have it consistent, but it isn't consistently nice, just landed. I have to work on kicking through more consistently rather than just jumping and rotating without the kick.

Wintry Mix: The coach is going to start int. moves with me when she is doing them with another girl. My regular coach back home wants me to start, so we'll see how it goes. I HATE MOVES!

dance2sk8
03-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Hello everyone!
I am new to the forum and new to skating (only 2 months old and 1 week into it). I've skated a little bit before (once or twice a year), playing around and learned cross overs, forward and backwards...that was about the extent of my ability until I started lessons this past January. I now have a coach and am training for Adult competition. I will definitely be there next year for competing. I can't wait! :P

SNOW: Learned all of my jumps and a few combination jumps (loop, toe loop, flip, lutz, waltz, salchow) and landed them, still struggle on occasion with the flip jump...weirdly, I can do the lutz easier...the waltz and salchow are my strongest jumps in technique. ;)

SLUSH: Learned how to spin (single foot and sit spin), traveling horribly. :frus:

Morgail
03-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Working: Learned all of my jumps and a few combination jumps (loop, toe loop, flip, lutz, waltz, salchow) and landed them, still struggle on occasion with the flip jump...weirdly, I can do the lutz easier...the waltz and salchow are my strongest jumps in technique. ;)

8O Wow! You got all of those jumps in two months!? I'm really impressed. You'll be axel-ing in no time! Welcome to the forum:)

dance2sk8
03-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Thanks! I learned how to do a split jump today. :D Those are a lot of fun! Still unsteady with my flip jump :: sigh :: :roll:

Mrs Redboots
03-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Slush: Cost of lessons has gone up. :cry:

Snow: I do find I learn a lot watching our elite skaters warm up!

jskater49
03-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Slush - haven't skated for a week for a variety of reasons...

Snowflake - By george I think she's got it! Forward crosstrokes that is! Coach had me do it on the line so I knew where to cross my feet. I was crossing way too early and so there just wasn't any oomph left for the push.

She also had me try a Ina Bauer position on the wall. The first side I decided "oh this is never going to work - my body won't do this" but the other side felt like at least I can get my body in the position. I think I'm more flexible on my left hip.

j

Laura H
03-04-2009, 08:03 PM
Snowflakes: went to freestyle session this afternoon and got the chance to do several run-throughs on my program for Saturday's comp . . for the most part, everything went OK except . . .

Slush: what the heck?? On Monday, I was finishing ahead of time . . . today I can't GET to the end on time . . . and I didn't add anything! Obviously I have gone too much the other way in trying to stretch things out :giveup:. (or, it may be that I didn't have my coach following me around and "motivating" me like she was on Monday!).

OH well, I'm sure everything will work out . . . still have two more days of practice to get my timing right! (and on the plus side, I still got a lot of compliments from the other skaters . . . and their moms :roll: of course they have no idea that I ran out of music before running out of program!!
shhhhh . . . )

Laura H
03-04-2009, 08:05 PM
slush - knowing my program, and doing it actually to the music are two very different things. ;)

AMEN, sister!!! right there with you (although having slightly less time to finesse things!) :frus:

dance2sk8
03-05-2009, 08:11 AM
SNOW: I did a triple combination!!! Salchow, loop, toe loop! Also, enjoying skating outside at Campus Martius (Detroit, MI) in 40 degreee, sunny weather. Perfect ice!

SLUSH: Being absolutely exhausted and needing a day of rest (today). AND seeing myself skating on video for the first time...8O

Isk8NYC
03-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Snowflakes:
Figure loops were still very weak, but they seem to be improving my twizzles, lol!
Worked on a "different" type of pivot entry for the backspin. It's much, much easier for the students.

Slush:
Skating at 6am was not a good idea. I just stumbled about, could barely do turns, lol.

Definitely need another blade adjustment. Sigh

CoachPA
03-05-2009, 10:37 AM
Snowflakes:Worked on a "different" type of pivot entry for the backspin. It's much, much easier for the students.

You've got my attention; I'm always looking for additional teaching approaches. Will we be hearing about this new entry in the backspin help thread?

Isk8NYC
03-05-2009, 11:07 AM
You've got my attention; I'm always looking for additional teaching approaches. Will we be hearing about this new entry in the backspin help thread?Sure. It might take me a while - I wasn't really awake at 6am this morning, lol.

ETA: Done!

liz_on_ice
03-05-2009, 12:43 PM
SLUSH - the ice! seaport's chiller's were not up to the task today. I took two small steps, then gave a strong push for a glide, and it was like skating on taffy. My blade sunk in and dragged and my body kept going - splut! I'm panicking about getting my program ready in time again 8O

chowskates
03-06-2009, 02:15 AM
Mostly slushy... what d'ya expect in this hot weather! :P

Some snowflakes...
- I can still do the Axel and flying spin.

sort of...
- rotated 2S & 2T but keep 2-footing them! :twisted:

that turned into slush...
- I got to skate my program to music for the first time, and I missed all jumps and all but one spin. :frus: Ok, it wouldn't be so slushy if not for the fact that Nationals is TOMORROW!! Oh well...

Mrs Redboots
03-06-2009, 12:36 PM
Snowflakes: Very intense, hard-working practice this morning!

Slush: There is one step in our free dance as choreographed that I simply CANNOT DO, which is annoying me. It's same principle as the lady's 3-turn in the Hickory - one is at the wrong angle - but Husband said he thought I was supposed to be doing a RFI3, instead of a LFO3, which is actually easier, but I still tend to 2-foot it, or forget which way I'm suppose to be turning, or....

Need more oomph in our compulsory dances. At least I can feel when we aren't getting any this year, this is progress indeed!

Isk8NYC
03-06-2009, 01:00 PM
- I got to skate my program to music for the first time, and I missed all jumps and all but one spin. :frus: Ok, it wouldn't be so slushy if not for the fact that Nationals is TOMORROW!! Oh well...

BEST OF LUCK!!!! Hope you have a clean skate tomorrow.

doubletoe
03-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Mostly slushy... what d'ya expect in this hot weather! :P

Some snowflakes...
- I can still do the Axel and flying spin.

sort of...
- rotated 2S & 2T but keep 2-footing them! :twisted:

that turned into slush...

OMG, talk about cutting it close, ROFL! My coach says that before skating your program in competition, you should make every possible mistake in the program. Looks like you got all of that out of the way in one day so you should be good to go tomorrow! Let us know how it goes! :D

liz_on_ice
03-06-2009, 09:12 PM
Bright fluffy flakes - I know my program! Still needs tweaking, polish and practice, but I'm over fearing I will be skating around with that panicked "omg what comes next?!" Look on my face, which clashes so badly with the sparkly dress. :)

dbny
03-06-2009, 11:14 PM
Good luck, Chow!

Snowflakes:
FO threes have improved again, which was visible in my lesson today. Once coach reminded me to step forward onto an I edge, the FI threes shaped up better than they have been in a long time. Did one very nice one foot spin from T push, with a nice snap entry. After the lesson played with RFO loop, two footing, but finally getting around and out.

Slush:
I think the best that can be said of my dance lesson is that I got a good workout. It was on a crazy freestyle, with a few skaters doing triples and a bunch of little ones down at the other end. We had to bail several times, had a very near collision with a young skater who did not see us coming and changed direction suddenly (don't you love when you have to yell at the top of your lungs, and everyone turns to look?), and I was very nearly run into the wall. The wall thing would not have been so bad except that my coach couldn't see that I did have that tiny bit of space needed to squeek by. He pulled me away, causing my R ankle to turn in towards the ice too much and forcing me hang on to him for dear life. I need to do two things - get my blades sharpened, and begin working on the Canasta Tango. I'm definitely getting bored working on the Dutch Waltz. OK, third thing, after the blades are sharpened I need some very serious work on FO swing rolls. Must improve the rising up and the push for the next one.

ibreakhearts66
03-07-2009, 12:17 AM
Snowflakes
-Discovered today that I do Biellmann's better one-handed. A girl at my rink always does them like that, so I decided to try and found that the speed, centering and position are all better. Plus, I think the one-handed Biellmann's stand out from tradition Biellmann's a little bit. I grab with the right hand and just pull straight up, so I'm doing same-arm same-leg.
-Death drops are getting better
-Landed some solid double doubles and nice big 2flips. Also improved the timing on the take-off for my 2lutz so it's bigger and has more flow.

Slush
-Pulled my hip flexor even more today. I was in a moves lesson, doing backwards power circles, and I just felt it rip. My coach said she could see a flash of agony in my face right before I went down.

katz in boots
03-07-2009, 01:54 AM
Snowflakes
have finally had lessons on program for test (maybe) and comp at end of May. I like coach's music cut, and we're into it. Yay, relief to get started.

Slush
Today my camel wasn't coming out to play, backspin had gone on holiday.

Snowflakes
Overall though, all jumps & spins are becomming more consistent, including my usual problem elements (aka known as all jumps & spins)

Feeling good.

niupartyangel
03-07-2009, 12:00 PM
snowflakes: after just getting serious on attempting the y spiral last week, I was able to do it today away from the boards today at my lesson. went at it with more speed forwards, and had no trouble finding my balance, stretching and holding the position.

pre-bronze moves practice going well and my coach said she cant believe how much more improved i've been overall since deciding to take the test and working on it.

slush: still trying to find my courage to take off for the loop :twisted:

niupartyangel
03-07-2009, 12:01 PM
SNOW: I did a triple combination!!! Salchow, loop, toe loop! Also, enjoying skating outside at Campus Martius (Detroit, MI) in 40 degreee, sunny weather. Perfect ice!

SLUSH: Being absolutely exhausted and needing a day of rest (today). AND seeing myself skating on video for the first time...8O

i did that on wednesday...at millennium park in chicago! sunny 40-45 degree weather too :D

singerskates
03-07-2009, 02:53 PM
This Past Sunday:
Competed at Pat Abela Memorial Invitational and picked up a Gold for my bronze freeskate and a Silver for my interpretive (debut competition for interpretive).

This is for yesterday (Friday).

Snowflakes:

Used 2 hours of my 3 hour session. Stretched in the changing room before getting on the ice.

Ice was just right even though it was already used for an hour.

Stroked around 3 times doing forward, backwards and edges to warm up.

Waltz warm up jumps were fine.
Toe Loops popping.
Salchows fine; even did Salchow step to LFO Salchow step to LFO Salchow.

Loop: had the height, the rotation and started to land on one foot but somehow 95 % of the time I touched down with my toe pick. I did about 40 Loops not including the one in my program including trying to do Loop + Loop combo.

Flip rotation full & correct take off edge

Lutz rotation full & correct take off edge

Usp was happening including basic plus to variations.

Fw CCW reverse direction to Fw CW Usp getting stronger with more rotation in the Fw CW which is not my natural direction in my interpretive program and prep for the interp.

Sitspin better basic leg position and low enough to count under CPC (same as IJS and COP) according to my coach with and without tacking on the broken leg variation and increased speed.

Slush:
Arms not coming in fast enough and out fast enouch during Loops, Flips and Lutz and so I tend to spin on the landings sometimes. Must build up upper arm, shoulder and upper back strength to pull in and check out better. It's part of the reason I'm off of my axis and lean some to the left when I land which causes me to bring my free leg back too early causing me to do a slight touch with my free leg's toe pick. So frustrating.

Right sprained ankle got tired and sore by the time I did my program so I wimped out of the Lutz and the Toe Loop of the Flip + Toe. A matter a fact the ankle got so swollen and sore that when I got off of the ice, which turned out to be the end of the session, I could hardly put weight on my ankle. You would have never know it was the end of the session because certain skaters stayed on for another half hour when we all only paid for 3 hours and not 3 hours and half.

Can't wait for my ankle to be all better. Sprained it 4 days before competing at WO Boston Pizza where I really sucked. Good thing I didn't compete the interpretive too because I would have died on the ice.

chowskates
03-07-2009, 04:18 PM
OMG, I made it through my program!! 8O

Put it up on YouTube at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngSqZRL5NRY

It was horrendous... my legs felt like jelly halfway through (actually after the sit spin) and I really couldn't jump after that... *sigh* need more stamina (or more practise!). DH commented that I didn't really take time to bow after, but actually I was trying to get myself off the ice ASAP before my legs give way! :giveup:

Oh and I skated against a girl half my age (whoever decided that "Adult" category was for 16-year-olds wasn't really considerate). It was quite ironic seeing my competitor being ferried around by her mom, when I was running around trying to make sure my baby has all she needs. :lol:

kimberley801
03-07-2009, 09:03 PM
Snowflakes: I got new blades! Coronation Aces. They were mounted today and I can finally spin! I was nearly effortless. So far, I'm very pleased with the change.

Slush: New blades take some adjustment. I just about faceplanted on some waltz jumps because I didn't come up on my toepick enough and I tried some toeloops and forgot that cross-cut picks REALLY like to grab the ice. lol...

Debbie S
03-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Congratulations, singerskates and chowskates! Whether you win or bjust make it through your program, getting out there to compete is a major accomplishment! :bow:

Update on my ankle: saw a new doctor on Thursday and have an MRI scheduled for Monday and a follow-up visit with the doc on the following Monday. She said it's anterior tibial tendonitis. She said I don't need to stop skating unless it gets worse. If I feel pain after skating, I can ice the area afterward. She'll wait for the MRI but thinks that PT could probably resolve the problem. The (current) good news is that I didn't feel pain either Thurs night or today when I skated, but I'm also taking it a bit easy - no jumps.

Today, my other rink held a test session and I watched some after I finished practice on the other surface. I decided after watching that I want to work toward the Pre-Juv MIF test. My coach said something to me about it on Thurs and I wondered if she was joking, lol, but she thinks practicing the Pre-Juv moves, esp the 3-turns (my weakest moves on the Silver test, even when I passed), will be good for me. It will be a challenge for me to meet the Pre-Juv standard, but I'm going to give it my best shot.

jazzpants
03-07-2009, 10:32 PM
Well done, singerskates and chowskates!!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

(Chowskate: In all my years of skating, I've been TRYING to do a proper bow after performing my program. Ummm... legs doesn't want to bow after doing a program, that's for sure. Nooooo way... :giveup:)

Debbie: Good to hear that nothing too bad is wrong with your ankle. Yes, take it easy and don't jump for a while (unless you feel up for it.) You're not in a hurry to compete or work on a program, right??? This is a good opportunity to get your ankle back up to snuff.

Mrs Redboots
03-08-2009, 09:09 AM
Yay for Chowskates and Singerskates!

Snowflakes: Husband transformed the difficult step in our free dance by saying to think of it as a twizzle, not a 3-turn. Makes all the difference, and I can almost do it now. Will be able to quite do it when he stops rushing!

Slush: But we got involved in an exercise that simply didn't work and spent far too much time on it getting cross with each other.

Laura H
03-08-2009, 11:06 AM
OK, I'm now officially a "competitive skater" I guess, having survived my first comp yesterday!! There were only 2 adult skaters in our rink's comp - me (I've passed PB MIF), and another skater who has passed Bronze MIF - so we competed against each other at the Pre-Bronze level.

I guess I would describe it as mostly snowflakes mixed with a little slush. My DH and kids were all out of town at a hockey tournament so I was pretty much by myself (except my adult group class members did show up to cheer me on! :D). I managed to get myself turned out with no wardrobe malfunctions and my hair cooperated and I got to the rink with plenty of time to spare. I did manage to stay mostly calm except for a few moments of sheer terror ("skaters, you have one minute remaining in your warm-up" being one of those precipitating factors!). I did a solo routine and also a "compulsories" type class that the organizers sort of made up for the two of us, so we could do something other than just the "solo" event. (the elements were waltz jump, one foot spin, salchow, toe loop and spiral). I skated the solo about as well as I could have hoped for - no scary moments, I *think* I smiled at least some of the time, I ended with the music AND I was facing the right direction when I came out of my final spin (that was definitely the most challenging part of my program!!). And the compulsories went really well too, didn't have any problems with those either. However, I still came in 2nd out of 2 in both events . . . probably just an experience factor, I guess . . . will have to talk with coach to see what I need to work on. She seemed really happy with both performances though, when I came off the ice, so that's good, I think.

REALLY slushy . . . the guy (skater Dad) presenting the awards decided it would be funny to pick on me about chewing gum on the podium (it had been over 3 hours since I skated, and I honestly didn't even think about it). OK, yeah, not proper to be chewing gum on the podium, but bring it to my attention discreetly, NOT by announcing it over the loudspeaker!! My immediate response was to stick my tongue out at him, so everyone ended up laughing at him, but really . . .that's kind of mean. (particularly if he knew this was the first time in my 41 years of life that I had actually BEEN on a podium!). (also, if I had to hear him say ONE more time that "it's all about our kids" I was gonna barf - um, HELLO - there are a COUPLE of adult skaters in this competition!).

SO anyhow - that's my debut competition experience! I don't have any pictures or video yet, but hopefully both will be forthcoming (hoping that the professional photographer got at least ONE decent picture of me! )

jp1andOnly
03-08-2009, 11:49 AM
if your ankle is sprained that bad (swelling up like a balloon) you should NOT be skating. Get yourself to physio, get off the ice, and treat it properly. You could screw up your ankle for life. Do you even know what grade of a sprain it is? Get it checked out.

This Past Sunday:
Competed at Pat Abela Memorial Invitational and picked up a Gold for my bronze freeskate and a Silver for my interpretive (debut competition for interpretive).

This is for yesterday (Friday).

Snowflakes:

Used 2 hours of my 3 hour session. Stretched in the changing room before getting on the ice.

Ice was just right even though it was already used for an hour.

Stroked around 3 times doing forward, backwards and edges to warm up.

Waltz warm up jumps were fine.
Toe Loops popping.
Salchows fine; even did Salchow step to LFO Salchow step to LFO Salchow.

Loop: had the height, the rotation and started to land on one foot but somehow 95 % of the time I touched down with my toe pick. I did about 40 Loops not including the one in my program including trying to do Loop + Loop combo.

Flip rotation full & correct take off edge

Lutz rotation full & correct take off edge

Usp was happening including basic plus to variations.

Fw CCW reverse direction to Fw CW Usp getting stronger with more rotation in the Fw CW which is not my natural direction in my interpretive program and prep for the interp.

Sitspin better basic leg position and low enough to count under CPC (same as IJS and COP) according to my coach with and without tacking on the broken leg variation and increased speed.

Slush:
Arms not coming in fast enough and out fast enouch during Loops, Flips and Lutz and so I tend to spin on the landings sometimes. Must build up upper arm, shoulder and upper back strength to pull in and check out better. It's part of the reason I'm off of my axis and lean some to the left when I land which causes me to bring my free leg back too early causing me to do a slight touch with my free leg's toe pick. So frustrating.

Right sprained ankle got tired and sore by the time I did my program so I wimped out of the Lutz and the Toe Loop of the Flip + Toe. A matter a fact the ankle got so swollen and sore that when I got off of the ice, which turned out to be the end of the session, I could hardly put weight on my ankle. You would have never know it was the end of the session because certain skaters stayed on for another half hour when we all only paid for 3 hours and not 3 hours and half.

Can't wait for my ankle to be all better. Sprained it 4 days before competing at WO Boston Pizza where I really sucked. Good thing I didn't compete the interpretive too because I would have died on the ice.

ibreakhearts66
03-08-2009, 02:19 PM
if your ankle is sprained that bad (swelling up like a balloon) you should NOT be skating. Get yourself to physio, get off the ice, and treat it properly. You could screw up your ankle for life. Do you even know what grade of a sprain it is? Get it checked out.

Agreed. I ignored a badly sprained ankle (half because I wanted to continue playing soccer and half because the school trainers wouldn't take me seriously), and I ended up needed surgery because it never healed. If I'd gone to the doctor right away and done physical therapy, I may never have needed the surgery. Get it checked out.

jp1andOnly
03-08-2009, 02:28 PM
I have just gotten over a 2nd degree ankle sprain...borderline 3rd. I thought it would take a week or two but I was off the ice over a month and probably should have taken another month off. I screwed up that ankle many moons ago and never got physio. I also damaged it more when I was first diagnosed with MS and feel down the stairs. It really is a bad call not to get it looked at. The time I fell down the stairs I gave myself a stress frature. I couldnt walk anyhow so it healed but quite honestly has never been the same.
\
Agreed. I ignored a badly sprained ankle (half because I wanted to continue playing soccer and half because the school trainers wouldn't take me seriously), and I ended up needed surgery because it never healed. If I'd gone to the doctor right away and done physical therapy, I may never have needed the surgery. Get it checked out.

liz_on_ice
03-08-2009, 06:52 PM
slush - broadband was melted all weekend, finally back online top ost

snowflakes - freestyle saturday, lots of good work on my program. Did one runthrough to music, which dbny got to see. It wasn't great, but for three weeks to go, I'm ok with it. :D

singerskates
03-09-2009, 03:48 AM

Once I put ice on the ankle when I get home from skating, the swelling goes done in less than 10 minutes. And walking on it doesn't bother it. I did show my coach my ankle but yes he's not a doctor. I've been to my chiropractor who also does physio and is going to school to become a doctor but I've not gotten it xrayed. I could get it xrayed to rule out any brakes or other problems but other than that they'd just send me to where I've already gone.

I think the reason it swelled so much was that I just plain did too many jumps on it. I normally don't jump that much a session and 40 Loop jumps is a bit much. My coach said next time that we will be doing less jumping before doing my programs.

The one good thing about having the sprain is that my right calf is no longer tight and all the exercises my chiropractor gave me is giving me a better range of motion even before getting the sprain. My left calf is tight and takes a lot to loosen up.

jp1andOnly
03-09-2009, 08:51 AM
again...get it looked at. Go to physio (sports physio..they do have them in your area I'm guessing)..not a chiropractor ( chros are NOt physiotherapists......). Doing 40 loops shouldnt make it swell.

If there is nothing wrong with it then it isnt even a sprained ankle fyi (sprained ankles hurt off ice as well.) Perhaps your should have just said I overused it rather then sprained it. Sprained and overused are entirely different things

Once I put ice on the ankle when I get home from skating, the swelling goes done in less than 10 minutes. And walking on it doesn't bother it. I did show my coach my ankle but yes he's not a doctor. I've been to my chiropractor who also does physio and is going to school to become a doctor but I've not gotten it xrayed. I could get it xrayed to rule out any brakes or other problems but other than that they'd just send me to where I've already gone.

I think the reason it swelled so much was that I just plain did too many jumps on it. I normally don't jump that much a session and 40 Loop jumps is a bit much. My coach said next time that we will be doing less jumping before doing my programs.

The one good thing about having the sprain is that my right calf is no longer tight and all the exercises my chiropractor gave me is giving me a better range of motion even before getting the sprain. My left calf is tight and takes a lot to loosen up.

anniem
03-09-2009, 02:36 PM
This Past Sunday:

Ummm, don't you think it's a little misleading to forget to mention that your freeskate was actually an exhibition? I'm just saying...

singerskates
03-09-2009, 08:51 PM
again...get it looked at. Go to physio (sports physio..they do have them in your area I'm guessing)..not a chiropractor ( chros are NOt physiotherapists......). Doing 40 loops shouldnt make it swell.

If there is nothing wrong with it then it isnt even a sprained ankle fyi (sprained ankles hurt off ice as well.) Perhaps your should have just said I overused it rather then sprained it. Sprained and overused are entirely different things

It's been three weeks since I twisted my ankle when I was doing off-ice with Misty. I thought I just landed funny but Misty said that I had turned and twisted my ankle right over. When I got home my ankle was red, bruised, swollen and bleeding through the skin.

As far as going to a physiotherapist, what can they do for me that my chiropractor who also took physiotherapy and I are already doing? I've been doing R.I.C.E., the exercises and stretches that she's given me. I've been also using Epson Salts and then icing.

singerskates
03-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Ummm, don't you think it's a little misleading to forget to mention that your freeskate was actually an exhibition? I'm just saying...

Yes, it was an exhibition but only because the person I was suppose to compete against didn't show. A matter a fact they still had the person listed on the skating order when I took the ice to warm up. I had really thought I was going to have to bring it to win.

I wasn't the only one to have to do an exhibition for their program for Pat Abela. It it wasn't our fault that other skaters not from Essex County, not including Mandy who did come, didn't bother to register because they said that it was too far to travel. So if we picked up a Gold medal, it was a Gold medal.

Now when I go to compete at Max Gould on the 29 this month, it won't just be me. There are 8 of us in the Bronze Freeskate and 3 of us in Introductory Interpretive.

AgnesNitt
03-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Since I'm off ice until April, all I can do is 'talk skate' with the Big Guy. He's pretty funny.

1. When he went in to get his old blades swapped to his new boots, the skate technician came back and said 'Big Guy, you gotta go on a diet.' Apparently, he bent the screw plates of his blades on his landings. He had to order new blades too. So now, instead of going through a pair of boots a year, with new blades every other year, it's a whole new set every year.

2. The Big Guy came down to check on me and take me to the movies. We started chatting about how I should start training for pre-bronze. Then he said, "What's with all this pre-bronze, bronze, silver gold business. It should be more consistent. In LTS you start out in Stone, then you progress to Tin, then Copper, and get your FI3 in Iron---then you go for pre-bronze."
"And for us over fifties can we have a Diamond class?" I asked.

CanadianAdult
03-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Now when I go to compete at Max Gould on the 29 this month, it won't just be me. There are 8 of us in the Bronze Freeskate and 3 of us in Introductory Interpretive.

I'll look forward to your videos.

Slush: Someone put their blade in my leg on the weekend. Nasty.

Snowflakes: Two decent runthroughs of my programs, I think I skate better with injury adrenalin.

vesperholly
03-10-2009, 12:24 AM
2. The Big Guy came down to check on me and take me to the movies. We started chatting about how I should start training for pre-bronze. Then he said, "What's with all this pre-bronze, bronze, silver gold business. It should be more consistent. In LTS you start out in Stone, then you progress to Tin, then Copper, and get your FI3 in Iron---then you go for pre-bronze."
"And for us over fifties can we have a Diamond class?" I asked.
:lol: Good idea. I would love to give out little rocks to 6-year-olds who pass Basic 1.

It's even weirder with moves and freestyle, because Novice/Junior/Senior are bronze/silver/gold medals. What then comes before bronze - Iron Intermediate? :D

AgnesNitt
03-10-2009, 01:26 AM
:lol: Good idea. I would love to give out little rocks to 6-year-olds who pass Basic 1.

It's even weirder with moves and freestyle, because Novice/Junior/Senior are bronze/silver/gold medals. What then comes before bronze - Iron Intermediate? :D

Well, there are several choices, but the best (and I'm not making this name up) is Wootz Steel.....'cause the Big Guy and I do love the history of technology. The Iron levels would be divided into three stages: Wrought, Wootz, and Bessemer Process.

singerskates
03-10-2009, 02:00 AM
I'll look forward to your videos.

Slush: Someone put their blade in my leg on the weekend. Nasty.

Snowflakes: Two decent runthroughs of my programs, I think I skate better with injury adrenalin.

Unfortunately even though my hubby came to tape my performances at Pat Abela, the video camera's battery decided not to work. He had not thought of charging the battery until the day of the competition after church and that was just not enough time to charge the battery. I also didn't have the cash to pay for what they were charging for the video that was taken at the competition.

Money is tight and though I'm still competing and skating, I'm not spending extra money on having the video service tape my programs for later showing. I wish I could have my skating taped so if you know where I can get the extra money for the extra cost, tell me.

Thin-Ice
03-10-2009, 02:08 AM
Well, there are several choices, but the best (and I'm not making this name up) is Wootz Steel..

Sorry about being OT but I just had to say I read this and laughed.. while ATTEMPTING to drink my tea. (I'm cleaning up my desk now.) Maybe I'm losing my mind but "Wootz Steel" sounds like the name of a superhero from a comic book.

Trumpet fanfare, then off-camera announcer: And now, the newest adventures of WOOTZ STEEL!!!

(Fade up on scene of woman in grasp of evil villain.)

Damsel-in-Distress: Oh no! Someone SAVE me!

Man in crowd: Look, that streak in the sky! HE will save you!

(sound effect) WHOOOOOSH (as streak in the sky turns into man clad in leotard, tights and cape and lands on one foot facing backwards near the Damsel-in-Distress).

Caped Superhero: Out of the way evil villain and let the fair maiden go!

Evil Villain: Who are you and why should I listen to what you think?

Caped Superhero smiling broadly as if he's just landed a triple axel: I'm WOOTZ STEEL... and I have super-strengths. Don't make me demonstrate them.

(Evil Villain releases Damsel-in-Distress and slinks away)

Damsel (no longer in distress): Oooooooohhhh Wootz! You SAVED my life. (coyly winking) I must somehow show you how grateful I am.

WS: Thanks.. but I must go, as there are others who need me to rescue them as well. Perhaps we'll meet some other time.

(WS flies off into the skies to save other people who do not possess his strength and abilities.)

Yeah, I know, this is just silly. But Sessy's investigative report on the Duck Nation's attempt to enter the 2018 Olympics inspired me to try my luck at "creative writing".

singerskates
03-12-2009, 02:31 AM

Couldn't skate today as I got a relaps with the infection I had. I guess I didn't get enough antibiotic to kill the germ the first time. I work up dizzy before I even got out of bed. I ate and then found I was still dizzy so I called my coach to cancel and then went to the medical clinic to see a doc. Sure enough the infection spread further than before.

Now that part that jp1andOnly wants to know about. I told the doc about my sprained ankle and asked to have it xrayed. Won't find out the results for 2 days. I really want to know why it still swells up (not as much when I am not skating) and why I still feel pain. What raised the red flag for me was last Friday's skate were I couldn't put weight on my right foot at all for half an hour (10 mins on ice and 20 off ice after the session was over). When they did the xray, I was thinking in my head that my ankle had to pose like a model. But with all the moving the ankle around not in a skate, my ankle became swollen and tender quickly.

Got to get to bed now,

singerskates