View Full Version : MK visions and gold seals

miraclegro
03-02-2009, 09:17 AM
Do MK Visions and Gold Seals have the same radius? If so, why are the Gold seals so much more money?

miraclegro
03-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Well, i double checked and the MK Vision has a 7" rocker and the Gold Seal has an 8" rocker. But i was almost certain that a girl at a recent competition had a less expensive than the Gold Seals blade that had a bigger radius than my MK Pro. Any knowledge on that?

doubletoe
03-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Gold Seals are more expensive because they have certain features such as side-honing, hand-brazing and tapering, which make the blade more labor intensive to produce. The rocker size has nothing to do with the cost of the blade. Most mid and lower level blades have a smaller rocker (7') because the smaller rocker is a little more forgiving as far as centering spins and staying off the toepick. However, the Coronation Comet is a mid/lower level blade that has an even flatter rocker than the Gold Seal. The Comet has an 8.5' rocker so it's great for landing jumps but very hard for most people to spin on.

Pattern_99
03-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Gold Seals are more expensive because they have certain features such as side-honing, hand-brazing and tapering, which make the blade more labor intensive to produce.

What do side-honed, hand-brazed and tapered mean? :oops: I'm not a native English speaker...

doubletoe
03-04-2009, 10:22 PM
What do side-honed, hand-brazed and tapered mean? :oops: I'm not a native English speaker...

This is not an English thing, it's technical terminology so most people don't know these terms. ;)

Side-honed means the blades are sort of flared at the bottom like this )( rather than "parallel" like this: ||

Tapered means the blade is thinner/narrower at the heel than at the front.

Hand brazed has something to do with the way the blade is connected to the steel plate that mounts to the bottom of the boot, but I'm not exactly sure what it is.

Pattern_99
03-05-2009, 12:07 PM
This is not an English thing, it's technical terminology so most people don't know these terms. ;)

Side-honed means the blades are sort of flared at the bottom like this )( rather than "parallel" like this: ||

Tapered means the blade is thinner/narrower at the heel than at the front.

Hand brazed has something to do with the way the blade is connected to the steel plate that mounts to the bottom of the boot, but I'm not exactly sure what it is.

Okay, thanks a lot! That cleared it up very well :)