View Full Version : Ice dance clinics in Maryland

Query
03-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Wheaton Ice Arena is advertising 4 and 5 day long 3-3/4 hour/day ice dance clinics in april, june, july and august. I took the one limited to adults last year. It was a lot of fun. Both on and off ice practice were quite challenging, and were taught by world class ice dancers.

The April one is for ISI Delta and above skaters. The May class will teach the first 4 dances. The June, July and August clinics are taught at a higher level. Only the July one is exclusively for adults, the rest say age 5 and above.

Cabin John Ice Arena is advertising something more modest in May.

See pages 111, 125, and 166 of http://www.parkpass.org/Start/Guides/Spring2009.pdf

Scarlett
03-01-2009, 09:14 PM
Looks like fun but a pity it is in the middle of the day...now if I can convince my colleagues to switch day to evenings for a week:idea:

Skate@Delaware
03-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Yeah, I'm still in school.....if it was in the middle of summer, well then that might be do-able!

Query
03-03-2009, 10:38 AM
BTW, my intent. was to recruit other adults for one of the age 5 and up ones, like April. It always feels wierd to be the only adult. Though they push the kids pretty hard on endurance.

Any other adults planning to attend?

Yeah, I'm still in school.....if it was in the middle of summer, well then that might be do-able!

The April one is spring break for some students, and June, July and August are summer for some.

I mistated something - it is the Cabin John class that mentions the first 4 dance patterns. (But Cabin John often cancels classes if enough don't sign-up). My page numbers were what is marked on the page, and is a couple off from what Adobe Reader "go to" will jump to.

Like most "ice dance" classes, the Wheaton clinics cover edges, posture and skating skills rather than patterns and partnering, though I'm not sure about the April one. Their instructors are from the Wheaton Skating Academy (http://www.wisa.us).

Here is my report from last year http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/icedancers/message/19270:

I just got through the adult session of the class.

There was a fair bit of variation in skating level, which the coaches
handled pretty well.

It was a lot of fun.

On ice, Alexei and Dimitri focussed on basics, emphasizing their
particular style of skating, which turned out to be more similar to
my coach's than I feared. Elena focussed on choreography, doing fun
things with the upper body (geared mostly towards free skating, since
most upper body motion seems be be a no-no in compulsary dance).

Off-ice training was really interesting. I learned a lot of new
training techniques, and the last day's off ice session, Dimitri's
hip-hop dance session, was a lot of fun.

I'll do it again next year. Not sure I am up to joining the other
(non-exclusively-adult) sessions.

manduh
03-12-2009, 01:51 PM
I really just lurk, but I would love to do the May one at Cabin John if anyone else is doing it...I'd hate to dance with 8 year olds alone, haha.