View Full Version : Brag thread 2...

cazzie
03-01-2009, 09:15 AM
There was a brilliant brag thread a while back which seems to have disappeared.... Could I start with a little brag and everybody chime in with all of theirs?

My 6 year 3 month old who is immature for age and not always concentrating as well as he should has really improved his focus over the last month. Fingers finally coming out of mouth (as long as sympathetic coach he feels comfortable with - they go straight back in when he is anxious). Coached in small group of slightly older kids (almost 7 to 8 year olds) and is still sometimes trying inside edge spread eagles with back to the coach while being explained stuff - but - less of this!! I was so used to see him fooling around trying things and seeing all the other kids in a row paying attention or standing in a particular posture its thrilling to see.

Today he learned toe loop for the first time. He didn't even know it was a toe loop (not listening as usual) he called it an "inside 3 turn different salchow" and I only found out it was a toe loop when I asked the older kids in his group. However, he was landing it beautifully.

His basic skating including forward/backward crossovers, cross-rolls etc. are looking so much better. He is also learning foxtrot and although there are times he gets the edges all wrong, there are periods when he is starting to get it correct and turns his foot out so nicely during the swing bit.

Thought he was such a wayward child 3 to 4 months ago (sometimes doing cross-overs crossing over the wrong way) etc. I didn't think he would ever learn anything. He is feeling so proud of himself.

My other brag is that he gets on so well with the other kids and shares his snacks with them after sessions. So sweet to see them sitting together chatting away and eating. (Rather than running around like a hooligan).

phoenix
03-01-2009, 10:44 AM
I have seen skating do wonderful things for kids' self esteem & social skills. Good for him!! :P

FigureSk8Dad
03-01-2009, 11:17 AM
Cazzie, that's wonderful and phoenix is right on. I'll have to add discipline as another good trait that seems to result from skating!

TiggerTooSkates
03-10-2009, 07:57 PM
I seem to remember reading about your little guy and his opposite crossovers - I'm so happy for him!

luckeylasvegas
03-21-2009, 12:05 PM
:D DD passed her Preliminary Moves Test today. A small mile stone but we're pleased just the same.

Mrs Redboots
03-21-2009, 03:58 PM
Not at all small! It's a very long road from the start of learn-to-skate to Prelim Moves, and many skaters don't get there! Well done her.:bow:

FigureSk8Dad
03-21-2009, 08:57 PM
Congratulations luckeylasvegas!
And my DD passed her Pre-Pre Moves and FS today. "It's just like a test at school, only you write on the ice with your blades." That was her encouragement to her friend, also taking those tests.

isakswings
03-21-2009, 09:06 PM
:D DD passed her Preliminary Moves Test today. A small mile stone but we're pleased just the same.

Awesome!!! WTG!!! I don't think it is small either! My dd isn't there just yet. :) Good for her!

isakswings
03-21-2009, 09:07 PM
And my DD passed her Pre-Pre Moves and FS today. "It's just like a test at school, only you write on the ice with your blades." That was her encouragement to her friend, also taking those tests.

Congrats to your daughter too!! I think we are a yr away from testing still. That's great about your daughter!

fsk8r
03-22-2009, 03:08 AM

Congratulations to both of them.
I'm going to remember that quote next time I'm testing. Makes it sound soooo much less scary! You've a wise daughter.

Isk8NYC
03-22-2009, 03:48 AM
:D DD passed her Preliminary Moves Test today.

And my DD passed her Pre-Pre Moves and FS today.

Congratulations!

ukmum
03-25-2009, 02:37 PM
New brag!!

DD landed her axel 1st time after being shown how to do it and she is only a beginner!

twokidsskatemom
03-25-2009, 05:06 PM
DD age 9 passed juv moves and pre juv fs. Got some nice comments on her test sheet about how she skates to the music and was lovely to watch on the ice.
DS age 8 tested pre juv moves but didnt pass. The three turns got him but its ok, he will just retake it later. Tested pre pre fs since he didnt test last year, passed with nice comments too.

FigureSk8Dad
03-25-2009, 10:17 PM
DD age 9 passed juv moves and pre juv fs. Got some nice comments on her test sheet about how she skates to the music and was lovely to watch on the ice.
DS age 8 tested pre juv moves but didnt pass. The three turns got him but its ok, he will just retake it later. Tested pre pre fs since he didnt test last year, passed with nice comments too.

Congratulations!

FigureSk8Dad
03-25-2009, 10:18 PM
New brag!!

DD landed her axel 1st time after being shown how to do it and she is only a beginner!

Very impressive! Congratulations to you too!

doofsy
03-26-2009, 10:12 AM
New brag!!

02-12-2009, 04:54 AM
ukmum
Registered User Join Date: Feb 2009

My daughter has all jumps up to Lutz, has landed axel a couple of time fully rotated but she only started it a couple of weeks ago so not landing it right every time

Did your daughter land her axel recently or back in February? Either way, 2 months is really good for an axel, but it's different than "landing it on the first try" Keep up the good work!

ukmum
03-26-2009, 12:26 PM
1st proper one! really pulled in, and in routine rather in isolation and the scruffy things kids play about at with their friends.

momof3chicks
03-27-2009, 10:49 AM
My dd finished her program on time and with no major mistakes! She even had her arms right MOST of the time!

She is doing no test freeskate, but her program is really challenging and requires her to move very quickly. She is 8.

Her music is from the Incredibles and the choreography really really stretched her comfort zone.

In her footwork sequence she has twizzles, forward to backward lunge, turning on her toe picks in her unnatural direction and even a bracket followed by a flip loop combination.

There are fancy steps and 3 turns etc as well as arm choreography in between everything.

She was pleased with herself! If I can video her this weekend, I will post on youtube so I can show you all.

I know it doesn't sound like much of a brag, but it was big for her!

Tennisany1
03-28-2009, 04:28 PM
^^ Congratulations to your dd. It really is MUCH. Celebrating clean (or fairly clean) practice programs is a really good way to build confidence. Even if there are errors, as long as she can carry on and not let them get her down then you should celebrate with her. Knowing she can do clean programs and carry on after mistakes will make competitions much less nerve wracking.

Way to go!

sk8ergalgal
03-29-2009, 01:35 PM
I am not a mother but I skater that liked the idea of this brag thread so I just wanted to say... I PASSED MY SENIOR SILVER SOLO!! (I don't know what the equivalent is in the states) but I landed my double/double and 2 double sequence in order to pass.

momof3chicks
03-30-2009, 10:41 AM
Congratulations!

Aww, my dd's friend just took pre juv moves and also didn't pass for the same reason! DD is getting ready and has some work to do on those too. I think she'll be taking pre pre freeskate soon as well (she is 8)

momof3chicks
03-30-2009, 10:42 AM
^^ Congratulations to your dd. It really is MUCH. Celebrating clean (or fairly clean) practice programs is a really good way to build confidence. Even if there are errors, as long as she can carry on and not let them get her down then you should celebrate with her. Knowing she can do clean programs and carry on after mistakes will make competitions much less nerve wracking.

Way to go!

And it gets better!! She competed with it yesterday and blew the rest of the group AWAY. I was stunned. Her newer coach asked where THAT girl was in practice!

BuggieMom
04-18-2009, 08:49 PM
DD passed 2 Bronze dances, Hickory Hoedown & Willow Waltz, and her Juvenile FS today!! She got a total of 9 bonus points on one dance, 8 on the other, and 6 on her FS test. Holy Cow she looked good!! 8O

Why is it that she can look like total cr@p during practice, but when it comes to tests or competitions, she suddenly becomes Miss Super Skater and blows my mind??? She could spare me a lot of frustration if she looked like that every day....:roll:

dbny
04-18-2009, 10:46 PM
I am not a mother but I skater that liked the idea of this brag thread so I just wanted to say... I PASSED MY SENIOR SILVER SOLO!! (I don't know what the equivalent is in the states) but I landed my double/double and 2 double sequence in order to pass.

CONGRATULATIONS! Go to the On Ice - Skaters forum (http://www.skatingforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16). There is a weekly practice/lesson thread there where you can report these "brags" and also your frustrations!

Why is it that she can look like total cr@p during practice, but when it comes to tests or competitions, she suddenly becomes Miss Super Skater and blows my mind???

Congratulations to your DD! My DD was like that too, but she knew exactly why, and it is a really good thing because her best performances always came when they were most needed. My DD loved to have people watch her, and she hated having anyone interrupt what she was doing, so tests, competitions, and shows were always her favorite times to skate.