View Full Version : 2009 Summer Skating Programs

Isk8NYC
02-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Please add any planned summer programs for 2009 that others might be interested in.

Mention if any are adults-only or kids-only. Links would be wonderful!

Isk8NYC
02-26-2009, 11:07 AM
Adult Figure Skating Weeks
June 14-20, 2009
August 23-29, 2009

Welcome to Lake Placid Adult Figure Skating! We're working hard to make the 2009 Adult Weeks the best yet.

You will be starting the week off on Sunday with a reception at 7pm (location TBD). Coaches will be introduced and copies of all schedules will be available. Skaters may register at the 3-5pm registration or they can wait until the reception.

Throughout the week, you can skate on any adult session that you choose. You may also choose to participate in on-ice and off-ice group classes or special seminars. Private instruction is also available and we suggest that you contact the coach of your choice prior to your arrival. A list of coaches can be found here. reception.

Back again this year by popular demand is the Wednesday night party! Put away your skating attire and get dressed up for a night of fun! It will be a night to remember featuring games, drinks and prizes.

The week will conclude with an Adult Exhibition followed by a reception in the Hall of Fame Room on Saturday.

On-Ice Group Classes:
The following is a TENTATIVE list of group classes. They are subject to change depending on the availability of instructors and ice time. All classes are 25 minutes in length and require a group class ticket which can be purchased at the Box Office for $13. You cannot pre-register for classes.

Basics of Skating
Stroking
Patch
Turns
Jumps
Spins
Footwork
Moves in the Field
Dance
Creative Movement
Choreography & Style

Off-Ice Group Classes:
The following is a tentative list of group classes that may be available. All off-ice group classes are $13 per class and are 50 minutes in length.
Ballet
Dance
Ballroom
Fitness
Trampoline
Stretch
Yoga

Adult Week Price Information
Full Week $250
3-Day Rate $150 (must specify days)
1-Day Rate $60 (must specify day)
Off-Ice Classes $13 Each
On-Ice Classes $13 Each
Locker Rental $10/week

LINK: http://www.lakeplacidskating.com/newsite/programs/adultweeks/index.php (http://www.lakeplacidskating.com/newsite/programs/adultweeks/index.php)

Lake Placid, NY also caters to younger skaters, although I'm not sure if it excludes adults. It appears to be an "ala carte" menu where you pick-and-choose the on- and off-ice sessions and contract for private/group lessons.

Information is here: http://www.lakeplacidskating.com/newsite/programs/summer/index.php

Isk8NYC
02-26-2009, 11:12 AM
2009 Aspen Summer Skate ADULT WEEK - A skating camp for basic skills and freestyle skaters
August 3-7, 2009

Surrounded by the splendors of the Rocky Mountains, the Aspen Summer Skate Adult Week has proven time and time again to be the skating experience of a lifetime. The combination of unique on and off ice classes combine the principle of solid, never-fail skating technique with new and different ways of accessing the "skater within." Enrollment is limited.

Aspen Summer Skate Adult Week
Aspen Ice Garden, Aspen, Colo.
August 3-7, 2009

The registration fee is $495, but those who register by June 1 pay only $425.
A deposit of $250 is due at the time of registration, with the balance due by July 1.

All registered skaters and their families are invited to the welcome reception on Sunday, Aug. 2 at 5 p.m.

jenny.nelson@ci.aspen.co.us (jenny.nelson@ci.aspen.co.us)

www.aspenrecreation.com (http://www.aspenrecreation.com/)

Aspen Summer Skate Adult Week Brochure (http://www.usfigureskating.org/Content/2009AspenAdultWeekBrochure.pdf)
Aspen Summer Skate Adult Week Registration Form (http://www.usfigureskating.org/Content/2009AspenAdultWeekReg.pdf)

Isk8NYC
02-26-2009, 11:33 AM
NOTE: AFAIK, Penn State is not offering any adult programs, but here are the details for their younger-skater summer camp.

Penn State Figure Skating Camp
June 27–July 3, 2009

Who Should Attend
The Penn State Figure Skating Camp is designed for students entering grades three through twelve next fall. High school graduates are eligible to enroll. The training program is structured for pre-preliminary through advanced-level skaters. The participants should have a minimum skill proficiency of USFS pre-preliminary, USFS, Freeskate 1, or ISI freestyle 1.

About the Camp
The Penn State Figure Skating Camp offers a comprehensive instructional program in a setting where housing, training, and recreational facilities are conveniently located within a short walking distance of each other.
Camp skating sessions take place at the Penn State Ice Rink, which has a 200' x 85' ice surface, as well as a training room used for off-ice jumping, conditioning, and dance and choreography classes. The camp provides arts and crafts projects for participants during free time, and campers are encouraged to enjoy Penn State's many recreational facilities, including the outdoor swimming pool, and tennis and racquetball courts. Participants are housed in University residence halls, and twenty-four-hour supervision is provided for all resident campers.

The philosophy of the Penn State Figure Skating Camp is multifaceted, focusing on the overall development of the skater to achieve success in tests and competitions. The program provides approximately three to four hours of ice time per day.

Daily Training Sessions Will Include:

Moves in the Field Class—Emphasis is on edge quality, extension, quickness, power, flow, and presentation.
Freestyle Class—Emphasis is on jump and spin technique, footwork, and connecting moves.
Power Stroking/Edge Class—This conditioning class helps to strengthen stroking technique and develop power, flow, and control.
Off-ice Classroom—Sessions include sports psychology, smart goal setting, nutrition, healthy training for competition, and test preparation.
Practice Session—This provides time for skaters to review and reinforce what they have learned in the instructional sessions, obtain private instruction, work on moves in the field, and practice their programs and dance routines.
Off-ice Training—This includes warm-up, stretch and jump, and aerobic activities.
Other Sessions Offered

On-ice style and choreography
Off-ice dance and choreography
Additional Highlights

A full-time (twenty-four-hour) camp athletic trainer
Private lessons, at an additional cost, in Moves in the Field, Figures, Freestyle, Choreography, and Ice Dance
Additional daily practice sessions at a rate of $10 per hour
Jump Ease jump harness system
Information will be sent with the camp confirmation packet for skaters interested in private instruction.

LINK: http://www.outreach.psu.edu/psu-sport-camps/FigureSkating/default_About.htm

Isk8NYC
02-26-2009, 11:43 AM
No program specifically for Adults, sorry. The PSA Conference is holding their on-ice workshops at this rink. I'll ask about adult summer skating when I'm there.

2009 SPRING BREAK CAMPS

Learn to Skate Camp
The Spring Break Learn to Skate Camp is a daily or weekly camp that includes: Private Ice for Group Class Instruction, Dance class, On and Off-Ice games, Supervised Public Skate Time. Skaters must be 7 years old to participate.

March 30-April 2* (No camp on Friday, April 3)
April 6-April 10

Figure Skating Camp
Spring Break Figure Skating Camp is a weekly camp that includes: Ballet Class, two Freestyle Sessions, Conditioning Class, and Power Skating Class. The skaters eat lunch together as a group every day. Please bring a bag lunch. Dates are:

March 30-April 2* (No camp on Friday, April 3)
April 6-April 10

2009 SUMMER CAMPS

Learn to Skate Camp
The Summer Learn to Skate Camp is a weekly camp that includes: private ice for group class instruction, dance class, On and Off-Ice games, supervised public skate time. Skaters, age seven and older, experience learning how to ice skate, learning a show number, choosing music for their show number, and decorating their t-shirts. A performance will be held on the last day of each camp week during the summer. Skaters decorate their own t-shirt to wear during the performance. Please bring a plain white t-shirt on the second day of camp. The skaters eat lunch together as a group every day. Please bring a bag lunch or purchase lunch at RDV Sportsplex for a weekly fee.

Camp dates include:
June 8-June 12
June 22-June 26
June 29-July 3
July 6-July 10
July 13- July 17
July 20-July 24
July 27-July 31
August 10-August 14
August 17-August 21
Summer camp dates are subject to change.

Summer Figure Skating Camp
Summer Figure Skating Camp is a weekly camp that includes: Stretch Class, two Freestyle Sessions, Conditioning Class, and a Power Skating Class. The skaters eat lunch together as a group every day. Please bring a bag lunch or purchase lunch at RDV Sportsplex for an additional weekly fee.

Camp dates include:
June 8-June 12
June 15- June 19
June 22-June 26
June 29-July 3
July 6-July 10
July 13-July 17
July 20- July 24
July 27-July 31
August 3-August 7
August 10-August 14
August 17-August 21
Summer camp dates are subject to change.

For more information or to register, please call 407-916-2551

LINK: http://www.mvpsportsclubs.com/rdvsportsplex/iceden-figure-camps.asp

gtgrinnell
03-11-2009, 11:34 PM
Hi All,

A new rink in Queens, NYC "The World Ice Arena" has put three adult dance/freestyle and one adult social program ice dance session a week on their schedule and if we can get enough skaters to attend, they will keep these sessions on the schedule through the Summer. The dance'freestyle sessions are Tuesday and Thursday nights at 7 PM and Saturday afternoon at 5 PM. The dance only session is Sundays at 5 PM. All of the sessions are 80 minutes long and cost $20.00. The rink has a website <worldice.com> for directions and changes.

I hope to see you on the ice, Gene Grinnell

Isk8NYC
04-04-2009, 05:57 AM
The Ice House Adult Camp announcement is up on their website.
(The Ice House is in Hackensack, NJ)

http://www.icehousenj.com/Docs/FigSkatingAdultCamp09.doc

June 26 - 28, 2009

Ooooo - they added Compulsory Figures for this year's camp!

twokidsskatemom
04-04-2009, 12:52 PM
http://www.fsaf.org/classes2009/skating.html

This is what we offer, and its geared toward both adults and younger skaters.

Great deal for the price, and cant beat Alaska in the Summer!!

Ice is all day, mixed in with fs ice and group classes.

They offer off ice as well as on ice.

Power, jumps, spins and performance at the end.

Its only 265.00 for all week!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you want any more information just ask!

Isk8NYC
04-14-2009, 09:01 AM
Adult Figure Skating Camp

Wednesday - Friday ∙ May 13 - 15, 2009 ∙ 8am - 3pm

Open to all skill levels; will divide into small groups based on registrations.

Power Stroking
Moves in the Field
Ice Dance
Creative Movement
Figures
Off-Ice

The flyer is not on the website as yet, but I will update this post with the link when it is available online.

For more info, contact the Skating Director (JGaster@trianglesportsplex.com) at 919-644-0339

Skittl1321
04-24-2009, 07:50 AM
Detroit Skating Club has announced their Motown Tango and Freestyle Clinics:
http://www.dscclub.com/pdf_files/2009AdultWeekendII.pdf

londonicechamp
04-28-2009, 03:47 PM
Hi

Yes ice rinks in SE Asia runs every July and August summer skate camp for children aged between 3 and 16 years old, the children are divided according to their skating ability, language (mandarin, cantonese and english) and also their age. Lessons are on Tuesday, Thursday (9, 10 and 11 a.m.- half hour lesson, and second lesson onwards get 30 minutes practice) for a period of 3 weeks; or Monday, Wednesday and friday (9, 10, and 11 a.m. for a period of 2 weeks, details same as the Tuesday and Thursday group).

If interested, go to www.cityplaza.com, click on ice skating, a little logo will come out, you can then click on either Cityplaza or Glacier, which will take you to their main page, and have a look at their events page.

Enjoy there.

londonicechamp

Skittl1321
05-29-2009, 12:52 PM
I think it's past the time that is generally considered summer, but here is the information for the Dorothy Hamill Figure Skating Fantasy Camp.

http://www.dorothyhamill.com/slices/skatecamp2.htm

It doesn't give much information at all about how classes will be scheduled, ice time etc- and for that much money, I think I'd want to know a lot more (especially since the phrase "or if it is is your first time on the ice" is used.)

AgnesNitt
05-29-2009, 01:02 PM
Y'know I'd almost pay that much money to get brackets (and it does include lodging). I have a ice dance friend who says he paid thousands over years to get three turns at speed. If it could get the Big Guy doing toe loops rather than toe waltz loops it would save him money. This year is the THIRD year he's gone to adult camps and worked on them and each camp averages about 2k or more (including hotels).

Skittl1321
05-29-2009, 01:07 PM
Oh, I think it's probably a "reasonable" price (though not for me...) It just doesn't include much information. Perhaps it's not meant to be a training camp (it does call it a Fantasy Camp) but rather a vacation with some ice skating. I would just want to have some more information before signing up.

Isk8NYC
05-30-2009, 10:00 AM
Dorothy Hamill Fantasy Figure Skating Camp

LINK: http://www.dorothyhamill.com/slices/skatecamp2.htm

ABOUT
Join Dorothy and enjoy five days of hands-on training and instruction from world-renowned coaches and celebrity skaters on the charming island of Nantucket. Peter Carruthers, Randy Gardner, and other special guests will join Dorothy in the training and demonstration of skating technique, skills - jumps, spins, and edges, choreography, as well as off-ice discussions on topics such as health and fitness, costuming and make-up, body movement, music selection, and an inside look into skating. All the while relax and experience the magic of Nantucket with charming accommodations, gourmet meals, and a variety of optional leisure activities. Whether you are a seasoned skater or it's your first time on the ice you will have the experience of a lifetime! This camp is limited to adults 21 years of age and up.

“Be your own champion and indulge in your own skating dream.
Come and skate with my friends and me.
You provide the skates and I’ll provide the fun and fulfillment.
I look forward to skating with you.”

~ Dorothy Hamill

Nantucket Island, Massachusetts. B&B accommodations in the heart of town within walking distance of the ice rink, the harbor, and all the island has to offer, including boating, fishing, swimming, fine dining and shopping. The newly constructed skating facility, Nantucket Ice Community Rink, affords maximum privacy for training sessions.

DATES
September 20th – 25th, 2009
5 days, 5 nights

ARRIVAL
Sunday, September 20th – evening opening welcome reception

DEPARTURE
Friday, September 25th following the afternoon closing ceremony

FEES PER SKATER
$4,800 single occupancy

Price includes lodging, all figure skating activities and personal instruction, on-site personal trainer, on-site personal concierge, welcome reception, breakfasts, lunches, and group dinners hosted by Dorothy, SkatingCircle.com gift bags, a souvenir DVD of the camp.

EARLY REGISTRATION
$4,500 if you sign up by June 20, 2009!

GETTING TO THE CAMP
Skaters are responsible for their own transportation to/from Nantucket. Assistance will be provided upon request.

RECOMMENDED AIRPORT
Nantucket Memorial Airport (ACK)

SUGGESTED SKATING EQUIPMENT
Visit RainboSports.com (http://www.rainbosports.com/hamillcamplist.cfm) to purchase items from Dorothy's suggested list of camp skating equipment. Register to attend the camp and receive a discounted rate on all equipment purchased at Rainbo Sports. Rainbo Sports is the exclusive provider of equipment to the Dorothy Hamill Figure Skating Fantasy Camp.

LINK: http://www.dorothyhamill.com/slices/skatecamp2.htm (http://www.dorothyhamill.com/slices/skatecamp2.htm)

RoaringSkates
06-24-2009, 10:28 AM
The Ice House Adult Camp announcement is up on their website.
(The Ice House is in Hackensack, NJ)

http://www.icehousenj.com/Docs/FigSkatingAdultCamp09.doc

June 26 - 28, 2009

Ooooo - they added Compulsory Figures for this year's camp!

I haven't heard any rumours about this, but my guess is that since Fraser/Lukanin have retired from eligible competition, they may not be teaching ice dance at the Hackensack camp.

I could be wrong on that. That's just my guess based on my knowledge of how this camp works re: staffing.

I'd be pleased to be wrong. Igor, especially, is a great teacher.

RoaringSkates
06-25-2009, 12:53 PM
Floyd Hall Arena, on the campus of Montclair State U, is running an adult camp as a series of clinics on Tuesday evenings from 5:30 until 8:30pm. The camp runs Tuesday nights from June 30 - September 1, and you can sign up for one session, several sessions, or all sessions.

Cost is $55 per day, or $475 for all 10 weekly sessions.

Each session will be set up more or less like this:

5:30-6:30pm - On ice clinic

6:30-7:30pm - On ice practice

7:45-8:30pm - Off ice conditioning

Igor Lukanin and Kristin Fraser are running the camp. Maxim Bolotin is assisting.

The camp is for adult skaters in freestyle, dance, and pairs, at all levels.

For info, contact: 973-655-8013, or email skatingdirector@floydhallarena.com.

Enjoy!

RoaringSkates
06-25-2009, 12:54 PM
I haven't heard any rumours about this, but my guess is that since Fraser/Lukanin have retired from eligible competition, they may not be teaching ice dance at the Hackensack camp.

I could be wrong on that. That's just my guess based on my knowledge of how this camp works re: staffing.

I'd be pleased to be wrong. Igor, especially, is a great teacher.

I asked. The Hackensack camp ice dance sessions will be run by Anna Zadorozniuk and Sergei Verbillo, from the Ukraine.