View Full Version : Cheap Skate Public Sessions @ Hillsborough, NC

Isk8NYC
02-25-2009, 12:35 PM
For you locals, the Triangle Sportsplex in Hillsborough, NC is bringing back their Tuesday night "Cheap Skate" beginning next month. (March 2009) I think it lasted through the spring last year. The first few weeks were empty - it was like an adult freestyle. Maybe we'll get lucky again this year.

DAYS: Tuesday nights
TIME: 6:00 - 7:15pm *NEW TIME 6/1/2009*
COST: $5, including skate rental.

I'm teaching beforehand, so I'll make an effort to stick around and skate regularly.

Be there or be square!

NCSkater02
02-25-2009, 08:02 PM
If it wasn't such a long drive from Clayton, I might consider it.

Isk8NYC
02-25-2009, 08:06 PM
If it wasn't such a long drive from Clayton, I might consider it.Have anything else to do on the way so you can make it part of a route? Road trip!

I have to pick up my oldest from college on Friday. The new Ikea just opened in Charlotte. My sister loves to shop. She's coming to my house (1.5 hrs) and we're going together to Ikea (1.5 hrs) then we'll make a side trip to pick up the girl before heading back home. lol

looplover
02-25-2009, 08:26 PM
I want to go to these! I have to go home after work and walk the dog though...hmmm I have to figure this out.

Isk8NYC
02-25-2009, 08:53 PM
If it wasn't such a long drive from Clayton, I might consider it.

I want to go to these! I have to go home after work and walk the dog though...hmmm I have to figure this out.
See, now we're talking!

NCSkater02 can come walk the dog and then skate! It's perfect! (Just kidding)

NoVa Sk8r
02-25-2009, 09:33 PM
This reminds of when the rink was new back at the end of 1996 or early 1997. I was in grad school, and some of my classmates and I went to the Triangle Sportsplex for their $0.97 skate special plus $2 skate rental fee. It was my second time skating, and that is where my hobby was hatched! 8-)

NCSkater02
02-26-2009, 06:38 AM
Tuesdays are my class days. I skate in Cary *most* Tuesday mornings, then head to the Health Sciences campus (near WakeMed) for an 11:00 class, then out to Fuquay to Main Campus for a 2:00 class. By then, I'm tired of driving. Besides, I do the Clayton to UNC drive three days a week already. I work 12s at the hospital.

Isk8NYC
02-26-2009, 09:34 AM
I was just kidding. With that Tuesday schedule, you'd forget to walk looplover's dog, hahaha!

On that note, why don't work from home on Tuesday afternoons, Looplover? You can walk the dog before you leave for the rink.

looplover
02-26-2009, 02:47 PM
I was just kidding. With that Tuesday schedule, you'd forget to walk looplover's dog, hahaha!

On that note, why don't work from home on Tuesday afternoons, Looplover? You can walk the dog before you leave for the rink.

Ha, regardless, nobody wants to walk this dog!!!

A lot of times I have meetings on Tuesdays, but when I can I definitely will!

TiggerTooSkates
02-26-2009, 08:52 PM
I was always bummed that I missed these!

I am only off one Tuesday night a month, but I'll make it on the tenth - already written in on my calendar!

mskater
03-02-2009, 07:20 PM
This is perfect for me - I work close by and can only skate mornings because I can't get off in time for the afternoon freestyles. I will definitely plan on skating this session every Tuesday:] And the fact that it might 'turn' into an adult freestyle session is even better! Speaking of, there was a period of time where Hillsborough actually had an adult freestyle on Wed evenings. Didn't last too long though as 5 or 6 skaters wasn't enough to support the session. Nova - Hillsborough misses you, please come back! :]

-Cheers!

NoVa Sk8r
03-02-2009, 07:52 PM
This is perfect for me - I work close by and can only skate mornings because I can't get off in time for the afternoon freestyles. I will definitely plan on skating this session every Tuesday:] And the fact that it might 'turn' into an adult freestyle session is even better! Speaking of, there was a period of time where Hillsborough actually had an adult freestyle on Wed evenings. Didn't last too long though as 5 or 6 skaters wasn't enough to support the session. Nova - Hillsborough misses you, please come back!At one point, that Wed. adult FS session had a bunch of skaters, at least 15 IIRC, including singles, pairs and ice dancers! And you, too, doing your Leahy program! :P

I miss Hills--I'll return some day. 8-)

looplover
03-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Speaking of, there was a period of time where Hillsborough actually had an adult freestyle on Wed evenings. Didn't last too long though as 5 or 6 skaters wasn't enough to support the session.

8O I wish we still had it! We should start a campaign of some sort. I wonder if they have hockey on Wed evenings. That would be so fantastic, maybe would require contracted ice time?

ISk8NYC, I already can't go to cheap skate tomorrow - emergency dog training private lesson in the eve...next week!

skaternum
03-03-2009, 12:34 PM
ISk8NYC, I already can't go to cheap skate tomorrow - emergency dog training private lesson in the eve...next week!

I can only imagine what would constitute an "emergency dog training" session! :lol:

looplover
03-03-2009, 09:23 PM
I can only imagine what would constitute an "emergency dog training" session! :lol:

LOL! Mother coming to visit from NJ soon...dog hates visitors...dog pulling me under shrubbery...dog wants to hump everyone (she is a spayed female).

So I'm spending a little less on skating this month...8O8-)

Isk8NYC
03-04-2009, 07:46 AM
I can say with certainty that I had a better time last night than you did, LoopLover - lol! I guess that means we won't see you at 7am this week?

Twelve people on the ice, including two coaches with students who left partway through the session. Ice was good, even though they hadn't cut the ice (See: Cheap Skate), and I adjusted the music so we could chat.

My husband brought his new skates to try; he says they're really stiff but they didn't hurt his feet like the rentals he's been suffering with for 25 years! He was going really fast on those sharp blades - he said that it felt like he had some grip on the ice for the first time. He can't corner very well, but he stayed out there a long time without getting exhausted.

My oldest daughter put on her skates and actually skated! She did a few waltz jumps and spins, but mostly watched her sisters try sit spins and camels, lol. That's okay - nice to see her getting back on the ice.

R showed me how to do figure loops. She has such beautiful footwork, no wonder she got the gold medal last week. I almost did a few - they're fun! I'm putting it on my "Tens Practice" list for every session.

Can't wait for next Tuesday - I think TiggerSkates is joining us! Be there or be square!

TiggerTooSkates
03-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Come one, come all tomorrow evening to Hillsborough - looking forward to putting names with faces!

looplover
03-09-2009, 09:09 PM
It's just too early for me :(

I can't go home after work and walk the dog and get there - have fun! Wish I could make these, but I'd need them to be about 45 min. later!

TiggerTooSkates
03-10-2009, 10:51 AM
I'm sort of surprised that they start that early, too. I thought they'd start at say, seven and then go until nine. But, I also don't know the rest of their schedule on Tuesdays.

I've been a bit slack lately about going to the rink, I must admit! They changed my schedule at the hospital and while I love it, it's taken a bigger adjustment time than I thought it would. Trying to get back in the swing of things (or back on the blade, I guess).

Isk8NYC
03-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Ice World in Totowa, NJ used have an adult public session from 7-9pm on Wednesdays with a DJ and free wine/cheese during the mid-session ice cut. It was WONDERFUL! and after the first few weeks, it got pretty crowded.

Like idiots, we would then go out to the Calico Kitchen diner and hang out until 2am. We all had to get up for work or school the next morning. I don't know how I did that every week. I have trouble waking up if I stay up too late reading now!

I'm teaching beforehand and I have a simple dinner planned for the family that they can fix themselves, so I'll be there tonight with my wonky skates!

TiggerTooSkates
03-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Ice World in Totowa, NJ used have an adult public session from 7-9pm on Wednesdays with a DJ and free wine/cheese during the mid-session ice cut. It was WONDERFUL! and after the first few weeks, it got pretty crowded.

Like idiots, we would then go out to the Calico Kitchen diner and hang out until 2am. We all had to get up for work or school the next morning. I don't know how I did that every week. I have trouble waking up if I stay up too late reading now!

I'm teaching beforehand and I have a simple dinner planned for the family that they can fix themselves, so I'll be there tonight with my wonky skates!

I can imagine few things as fun as wine and cheese at the ice rink. :)

We probably have some screwed up liquor laws in NC that prohibit that sort of thing. . .

NCSkater02
03-10-2009, 03:21 PM
We probably have some screwed up liquor laws in NC that prohibit that sort of thing. . .

Having lived in NC for 21 years now, anything pertaining to liquor is messed up.....

skaternum
03-11-2009, 07:55 AM
Plus, what rink management is going to think that, from a liability standpoint, it's a good idea to mix alcohol and skating?

For the record, if I win the lottery, I'm going to have my own rink that is ONLY for figure skating and includes a full bar. I will only charge $2 per hour for FS sessions and have $1 draft all day. :)

looplover
03-11-2009, 08:37 AM
Plus, what rink management is going to think that, from a liability standpoint, it's a good idea to mix alcohol and skating?

For the record, if I win the lottery, I'm going to have my own rink that is ONLY for figure skating and includes a full bar. I will only charge $2 per hour for FS sessions and have $1 draft all day. :)

I hope you win!!

Isk8NYC
03-11-2009, 08:51 AM
Last night's session was nice - about 22 people, three or four adult figure skaters. It's Spring Break, so there was a small group of college students who were fun. One of them told me "You're making the rest of us look bad!" when I was working on the Five Step, lol.

Had a great time, but I feel the pain today. Too many split jumps and layback spins. My toes are killing me, but that's because I taught for two hours before trying to skate without relacing.

I created a huge divot practicing flip jumps. Felt guilty, so I patched it along with a few other, smaller ones. lol

Isk8NYC
04-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Last night was a bit crowded - a lot of the skaters who are competing this weekend came for an extra practice. It'll probably be less crowded next week, especially with spring break.

The April Public Session schedule shows that these Tuesday night sessions will continue for a few weeks:
http://www.trianglesportsplex.com/schedules/April09/April%20public%20Skate%202.pdf

TiggerTooSkates
04-02-2009, 01:25 AM
Having lived in NC for 21 years now, anything pertaining to liquor is messed up.....

Off topic - in Oklahoma (I spent four years of my life there one decade) ROLLING ROCK BEER is classed as an import because of its 3.2% alcohol content - now THAT'S "messed up". . . 8O

(In OK, beer is supposed to only be 2.6%. Oh, yeah - and in OK, you can't buy beer before noon on a Sunday. They actually cover over the beer section in the cooler at the grocery stores and block off the wine aisle. Or at least that's how it was when I lived there from '96 to '00 - and from what I've heard it hasn't changed much. We used to go to Dallas - where beer is 4.6% and up - and get loaded off of three because we were so used to lower content in OK. SAD, I tell you.)

(So maybe it's not as bad here as it seems. . .) :lol:

And NYC - I'll be there this Tuesday unless something bizarre happens - like I hit the lottery. . .
(In other words, plan on my being there!)

looplover
04-02-2009, 03:48 PM
I'm really going to try and make it this Tuesday slow! Work is SLOW - which is not good - but hey I might as well skate!

On an unrelated note, does anyone in NC know a good ankle doc? I just saw a great knee doc (thanks, skaternum! knee is fine but needs PT anyway). Now need ankle doc

and potentially new custom boots

oh dear

TiggerTwoSkates, do you know anyone at Duke?

Skittl1321
04-02-2009, 03:54 PM
Off topic - in Oklahoma (I spent four years of my life there one decade) ROLLING ROCK BEER is classed as an import because of its 3.2% alcohol content - now THAT'S "messed up". . . 8O

(In OK, beer is supposed to only be 2.6%. Oh, yeah - and in OK, you can't buy beer before noon on a Sunday. They actually cover over the beer section in the cooler at the grocery stores and block off the wine aisle. Or at least that's how it was when I lived there from '96 to '00 - and from what I've heard it hasn't changed much. We used to go to Dallas - where beer is 4.6% and up - and get loaded off of three because we were so used to lower content in OK. SAD, I tell you.)

(So maybe it's not as bad here as it seems. . .) :lol:

And NYC - I'll be there this Tuesday unless something bizarre happens - like I hit the lottery. . .
(In other words, plan on my being there!)

We used to have a multi-state conference when I was in College that alternated between Texas and Oklahoma- and one of the "intro" topics (local laws, essentially) when it was held in Texas was to remind us all that domestic beers have higher alchohol contents, and to remember that when thinking "I'll only have 3". It didn't help, except to serve as a reminder for the TX kids to bring their own beer when the conference was in OK.

Isk8NYC
04-29-2009, 08:48 AM
This Tuesday night session is continuing through the end of May.
There were 5-15 people on the ice with no injuries last night! Yay!

Rumor has it that they might add a similar Thursday night public skating session. If they do, I'll post it here.

The rink also has a three-day Adult Camp coming up May 13-15 (8am-3pm) Mary Jo Bullin is going to be the head coach for that camp.
http://www.trianglesportsplex.com/forms/SummerCamp09/adult%20FS%20camp.pdf

Isk8NYC
06-02-2009, 01:59 PM
The June public session schedule shows that this session is now from 6-7:15 pm.

Isk8NYC
09-01-2009, 12:09 PM
Quick update:

. Tonight is the LAST Cheap Skate of the season since hockey starts up again in that Tuesday night time slot.

. Triangle SportsPlex will be closed from 9/3 - 9/10/2009 so they can melt the ice and complete necessary painting and repairs.

. Reopening is tentatively scheduled for 9/11/2009, but call first to be sure the ice rink is available.