View Full Version : Sit spin variation

kateskate
02-25-2009, 08:30 AM
During the summer I played around a bit and had a few lessons on achieving a forward sit with head on knee. I was told I had a pretty good preliminary sit position - correct angle and free leg positioning etc - in order to achieve this but I could never get anywhere near. As soon as I tried to put my head anywhere near my knee I ended up pulling my free leg up and tipping back or grinding to a halt.

I've obviously left this for a while so have probably forgotten the basics but want to have a go at playing with it a little outside of my lessons as it is not really a vital element for me at the moment.

Am I right in thinking you need a free leg parallel to the ice (ie no sloping down or angle of any sort) in order to have a chance of getting this position?

I realise this is a tough variation to achieve but I want to have a go as a long term goal at least. Any tips of how to get there eventually? Even it is off ice preliminary exercises.

Any help appreciated!

shiningstar
02-25-2009, 11:48 AM
just keep practiseing and you will get it. i had the same problem and i practiced and pactised and than i got it
:D

peanutskates
02-26-2009, 01:53 PM
Start a sitspin, and cross your arms on your chest. Spin a few revs. Starting from your lower back, bend forward, keep your back straight. Reach for your ankle/shin, hold your leg from underneath. Be conscious of not letting your bottom just drop down (was my problem). To finish, raise your upper body from the lower back again, and exit as normal.

kateskate
02-27-2009, 03:06 AM
Thank you peanutskates. I think the arms crossed position will help.

I also find that the spin becomes 'bigger 'and starts making loops rather than spinning once I try and grab my shin. Any tips on stopping this?

peanutskates
02-27-2009, 02:18 PM
think of pressing down on your toes and front part of foot (not the toepick, but your toes, inside the boot).
don't go on an exaggerated inside edge, think of spinning on a flat (neither edge).