View Full Version : Saw video of my lesson -- UGH!!!

FallDownGoBoom
02-19-2009, 08:50 PM
This morning my coach recorded my jumps (waltz, salchow, toe loop). It's the first time in three years of skating that I've seen what I look like. Some stuff looked surprisingly good. But the air time -- blimey. I'm barely getting off the ground. Even the waltz jump is dinky.

It's the sort of thing I've seen a million times on YouTube. I watch and say, "Crikey, if my jumps were that bad the last thing I'd be doing is putting them on the Internet."

So, yeah. I'll be working on height. And judging the folks on YouTube slightly less harshly.

Sessy
02-20-2009, 07:03 AM
The beauty of filming is that the more you film and watch, the closer your perception of what you're doing and what you're actually doing grow together - the mind starts to compensate or even overcompensate, to the point where you're watching a latest video and realise you're actually BETTER than you thought you were. And then it's a joy to watch the video's. :)

Skittl1321
02-20-2009, 08:07 AM
This morning my coach recorded my jumps (waltz, salchow, toe loop). It's the first time in three years of skating that I've seen what I look like. Some stuff looked surprisingly good. But the air time -- blimey. I'm barely getting off the ground. Even the waltz jump is dinky.

It's the sort of thing I've seen a million times on YouTube. I watch and say, "Crikey, if my jumps were that bad the last thing I'd be doing is putting them on the Internet."

So, yeah. I'll be working on height. And judging the folks on YouTube slightly less harshly.

My dinky jumps go on youtube because it's the best way to show them to my parents, and because I get good tips off them from skating friends.

But the best part about it is that when I upload a new video, it's easy to find the old one and compare. Seeing the improvement is pretty fantastic.

sk8lady
02-20-2009, 02:44 PM
Every time I see video of myself I think, "Who IS that really slow person with the tiny little jumps who keeps looking down at the ice and whose sit spin looks as though it's performed by a hunchback with knee problems? That CAN'T be me, as I am very fast, have HUGE jumps, an incredibly low sit spin, and perfect posture and execution! How come she's wearing my dress and my hair???"

I would never dare post on YouTube!!

AgnesNitt
02-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Every time I see video of myself I think, "Who IS that really slow person with the tiny little jumps who keeps looking down at the ice and whose sit spin looks as though it's performed by a hunchback with knee problems? !

Oh, sister, I feel your pain. I see my skating and think: Who is that short slow old woman with the hunchback and a swayback, waving her arms around in the air during her 3 turns, and skating on the flats during her eights. Now just imagine it said in a Czech-German-Russian accent, and you have my coach describing my skating----sigh. I'm so bad I get compliments on the improvement of my posture.

"Ben ZE NEE! BEN ZE NEE!"
"I am bending the knee."
Coach Pushes on shoulder to the point I feel like I'm sitting..."Zerr, zat iz zee ben nee!"

teresa
02-20-2009, 11:01 PM
I've only seen myself skate a few times but it was not a fun experience. I only saw my mistakes. I get stuck here and don't see the positive. I think if I saw myself a little more the shock would wear off and I would be able to see positive things. You know, like a progress report. Maybe you should try this. Don't worry about video stress and disappointment, your not alone!

=-)

teresa

SkatEn
02-21-2009, 01:19 AM
I think videos are a terrific way of seeing what you really skate like. We tend to be over-critical, but I guess that's a good thing!

Video yourself often and one day, go back and review everything. It's a mind-boggling wonderful experience!

Bunny Hop
02-22-2009, 07:07 AM
I've only seen myself skate a few times but it was not a fun experience. I only saw my mistakes. I get stuck here and don't see the positive. I know exactly what you mean. Our coach has videoed our dances a few times, and whilst yes, I can see an improvement from the previous video, I still mainly just see how crap my skating looks overall. It doesn't help that I don't skate my best when I know the video camera is out.