View Full Version : 2009 ANs names Charity Partnership

Mel On Ice
02-19-2009, 12:37 PM
The LOC is pretty proud to make this contribution to our annual get-together. Snipped from the press release I've issued for tomorrow.

------

***NEWS RELEASE***
2009 U.S. ADULT FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS NAMES YWCA DOMESTIC CRISIS CENTER AS ITS “COMMUNITY CARES” CHARITY

(February 20, 2009) Grand Rapids, MI – The Greater Grand Rapids Figure Skating Club, host of the 2009 U.S. Adult Figure Skating Championships, has named the YWCA Domestic Crisis Center as its “Adult Skating Community Cares” charity. The championships will be held at the Patterson Ice Center April 22 – 25.

The local organizing committee will be collecting hats, gloves, scarves, undergarments and stuffed toys from competitors and spectators, which will be donated to the Domestic Crisis Center.

“The children who stay at our domestic violence emergency shelter so often show up with nothing more than the clothes on their backs,” says Kelli Langan, director of development and marketing for the YWCA West Central Michigan. “We could certainly make great use of winter gloves, hats, scarves, and we often need undergarments for the moms and older girls in our shelter.”

“The Adult Figure Skating Championships are a time for skaters of all ages and skill levels to get away for a week of friendship, competition and camaraderie,” says Melissa Garland, co-chair of the championships. “One of the traditions at the championships is for competitors to shower one another with gifts such as stuffed toys thrown on the ice. With nearly 500 competitors expected, imagine if everyone gave just one gift, we could do so much to provide comfort in a time of need for women and children in West Michigan.”

There is another, more personal reason why the work of the YWCA resonates with the members of the local organizing committee. “One of our friends and fellow competitors, Charnell Evans, lost his sister last year to domestic violence,” says Garland. “She was murdered by her boyfriend, leaving behind an infant daughter. Our friend is caring for his niece via foster care and is waiting for the adoption to be finalized. His selfless act helped inspire our decision to ask if we can be a part of the work of the YWCA West Central Michigan.”

“The YWCA is thrilled to be included in the upcoming championships in such a meaningful way,” Langan adds.

manleywoman
02-19-2009, 12:50 PM
Fantastic idea. Well done!

w.w.west
02-19-2009, 01:10 PM
Wow...this is just awesome!! How great that even in these economic times we can all find a way to be charitable. I have been touched by so many people wanting to be a part of our Adults for Autism competition even if they cannot be there. I'm certain that participation at AN's for this great cause will be overwhelming! Skating peeps are the best!!!!

flo
02-19-2009, 01:52 PM
Great idea! I'll be happy to contribute.

Mel On Ice
03-02-2009, 09:50 AM
USFSA and icenetwork picked the story up:

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090219&content_id=61369&vkey=ice_pressrelease

RachelSk8er
03-03-2009, 08:33 PM
I just read this, so excited that we're doing something for a good cause. Three years ago, my family suffered the loss of my cousin's children, ages 8 and 10, due to domestic violence. (Long story short, my cousin finally got the courage to leave her husband, the police sheriff, who had been emotionally and verbally abusive--we hate to also think physically--for years. The night before their custody hearing, he had the kids. He put them to bed, shot them, and shot himself.) It's something that a family really never fully recovers from.

Anything that can be done to make a family, especially children, more comfortable through times like this when they need to find safety and healing makes a HUGE difference.

Black Sheep
03-04-2009, 10:59 AM
I've got some crocheted-by-me blankets I'd love to donate. Can I? Otherwise, they're just sitting around in boxes....;)

flying~camel
03-04-2009, 11:24 AM
I've got some crocheted-by-me blankets I'd love to donate. Can I? Otherwise, they're just sitting around in boxes....;)

That would be completely AWESOME! If you have any extras, I totally want one! :)

flo
03-04-2009, 01:42 PM
Hi there,
If you let me know the sizes of undies in need, I'll buy some while I'm out there - or I assume I can donate $$?
Thanks

vesperholly
03-04-2009, 01:42 PM
I'm assuming there will be a location at the rink where we can bring our donations? I think this is a really wonderful thing for the LOC to do.

Mel On Ice
03-04-2009, 02:04 PM
I think all sizes of undies would suffice. :P

We are working with the YWCA to have donation boxes in the lobby and rinkside, so if someone flings some panties at you, you can drop them directly in the bin.

Thank you to everyone for your enthusiasm! :bow:

I feel the need to apologize in advance, there will be no cloth bags from me this year. I'm up to my neck in LOC stuff and we are trying to get some grocery bags donated for the sweepers to use instead.

sk8er1964
03-04-2009, 02:07 PM
I hope this starts a new tradition at AN! I will look for things to throw that can be donated :)

RachelSk8er
03-05-2009, 06:48 PM

OMG...idea...Originally I was thinking of some sort of get-together for all the knitters/crocheters at ANs to hang out and discuss geeky knitting-crochet related stuff. But what if we got all the knitters and crocheters out there, between now and ANs or while we're sitting in the stands at ANs to knit or crochet squares (what's a good size, 6"x6"??) that can be sewn together to make blankets??? I know there are a decent number of us who knit/crochet and even do so at competitions (me, Stacy Brinkman, Wendy, Sara Schley, etc etc). We'd have to use worsted weight yarn that can be easily washed (probably acryllic afghan yarn) so they come together properly...

Mel On Ice
04-06-2009, 11:12 AM
BUMP!

ANs is only - ack! two weeks away and we are hoping for competitor's generosity in making this partnership a success.

I'm already gathering things up for the donation bins. Now that winter is slooooooooooowly petering out, the needs of the shelter may lean more towards undergarments and clothing, but bring what you can and I'm sure they will use it an appreciate it!

Bring an extra throwie for the YWCA!

Mel On Ice
04-21-2009, 10:21 PM
BUMP! Comp starts tomorrow! Start winging your panties!